Powdered or real egg?

PCHENG

While ordering omelet on a recent Carnival cruise, the lady standing next to me instructed the cook to use "real eggs" instead of powered egg mix. The cook told her that Carnival uses real eggs in all its omelet, but the lady does not believe him and accused him of lying to her.

Personally I can't tell the difference (and don't really care), but it was quite funny to watch a grown woman threatening to file a complain with guest services over an omelet. Can any egg connoisseur confirm if Carnival omelets were made with real egg, powdered egg mix or some other egg substitutes?

While ordering omelet on a recent Carnival cruise, the lady standing next to me instructed the cook to use "real eggs" instead of powered egg mix. The cook told her that Carnival uses real eggs in all its omelet, but the lady does not believe him and accused him of lying to her.

Personally I can't tell the difference (and don't really care), but it was quite funny to watch a grown woman threatening to file a complain with guest services over an omelet. Can any egg connoisseur confirm if Carnival omelets were made with real egg, powdered egg mix or some other egg substitutes?

Can ask for real scrambled @ brunch & breakfast MDR.

I thought the eggs they use are like egg beaters. They are liquified. Which to me is not real.:D

The whole eggs are just pre-whipped to save time at the omelette station. Egg beaters are real eggs, just egg whites.

I personally like the powdered scrambled eggs [emoji4]

Edited by xowendyxo

She's wrong. Neither are "powdered eggs." I've worked in a large commercial kitchen that served eggs for breakfast. We used the same thing Carnival does. It's a large plastic bag with pre blended real eggs. The eggs can either be cooked in boiling water inside the bag and then mashed, or they can be scaled just like fresh cracked eggs. When these eggs are made in an omelet or scrabbled fresh, it's hard to tell the difference. The reason the buffet is so bad is because they've been allowed to sit for too long and become over coagulated and rubbery.

During the Behind the Fun Tour, which hubby has done on three different ships, this question if often asked. The eggs are "liquid eggs". Real eggs but beaten and in a carton. This is to safe space. Eggs in the shell take a tremendous amount of space which understandably is at a premium on board.

As to the OP, post I have often asked in the MDR and at the omelet stations to have fresh cracked eggs. I have never been questioned or comment to by the staff. Sometimes it is all about attitude. Ask nicely and with respect.

I can tell you without a doubt that the eggs on the buffet are fake. They are some of the most disgusting things I have ever had the displeasure of eating. The omelet station uses real eggs. At least they always have for me. I literally watch them crack them. You can also request fried eggs.

We were told they use real eggs that are pre-mixed in the kitchen.

Guess I'm one of the few people who actually likes the scrambled eggs on Carnival ships. :)

LuLu

You're not alone. I love them and just take a glance at others on day 7 of a cruise, still eating the eggs. [emoji4]

The egg liquid from their omelet station is poured out of cartons that look like quart mild cartons. They are sealed and the person cooking the omlets opens them. The liquid mixture is made from real eggs but the eggs are not mixed in the kitchen. Carnival buys the cartons of liquid eggs. There are ingredients in the liquid egg mixture to prevent the yolks and whites from separating. Mix up eggs for scambled eggs at home and let them sit for a little while and you will start to see the separation. The liquid that Carnival uses has a uniform look no matter how long it sits. They do have real eggs in little dishes that they use when you request fried eggs. My husband has also requested scrambled eggs from these eggs and they have made them.

I don't think even the US Army uses powdered eggs anymore. What the ships use is "pasteurized egg product". This is not egg beaters, or an egg white only product. This is real eggs that have been taken from the shells at a factory, scrambled, and pasteurized, and then put into gallon jugs as liquid egg product. They are real, whole eggs, just pasteurized for your safety. They do not contain thickeners or preservatives. This saves on waste from the shells, and saves time in not shelling eggs.

Some ships will have pasteurized shelled eggs (don't ask me how they do that) for use as fried eggs, but these tend to be expensive, so some will use non-pasteurized shelled eggs, and put the warning on the menu about eating undercooked eggs, which is the alternative that USPH allows.

Carnival and anyone else can call them what ever they want to. The truth is they taste AWFUl, are watery, and do not have the same texture as any scrambled egg I have had that actually came out of a shell in front of me. They have a very powdery texture to them. Every cruise I try a spoonful but it always stays the same. I only eat mine cooked to order/fried. I have never asked them to scramble real eggs for me.

I thought the eggs they use are like egg beaters. They are liquified. Which to me is not real.:D

The liquified eggs come out of a carton. To me they are not real either. Also, since I am Gluten Free, Miami told me to specifically request "Fresh eggs" when ordering in the MDR. Otherwise the scrambled eggs and omelets are made from the stuff out of the carton. You can certainly tell the difference because you can see pieces of egg white. The stuff from the cartons is a uniform sickly yellow.

I hope someone will confirm but I read that they may not use real eggs in the buffet but do use real eggs for their omelet station

What you said makes sense! I try always to hit the set down Breakfast where we dined in the evening, that way I'm looking at two yolks that are over easy. Yet if you have an early excursion that's not an option.

They are definitely powdered eggs on the buffet.

As a 30 year foodservice professional and a trained chef , I know powdered eggs.

Too top it off Carnival does not reconstitute them properly.

That is why you have those disgusting bb texture.

The omelets are made from frozen whole eggs. A good product.

No one except Carnival would ever use powdered egg for scrambled eggs ! They are for a baking ingredient.

Complain about it.

I've eaten a lot of eggs on Carnival ships over the years. Buffet eggs are definitely powdered eggs. Dining room and omelette stations are real eggs. You will also get real eggs if you get eggs to order at the omelet stations--even if you don't order an omelet. So the bottom line is if you don't mind waiting in line at the omelet station, you can get real eggs cooked any way you like them at the omelette station.

Edited by winddawn