Oceania vs. Azamara - Confused

AllisonJames

Unfortunately not many options where we live. Our TA is good, quick and reliable. This means a lot to us. But gratuities are not a perk from her.

My TA does not live in my area either

The internet is a wonderful invention :halo:

My TA does not live in my area either

The internet is a wonderful invention :halo:

A good reliable TA who handles problems individually and with care is a blessing. Money isn't everything (but it is helpful!). Maybe check with other TA's. Or at least honestly talk with your TA. If it is only volume problem, perhaps your TA could hook up with a group or purchase a group ticket from other providers to get the benefits for you. At least give your TA a chance to provide you with this common perk of large volume TA.

I am trying to choose between Oceania and Azamara, Baltic cruise Aug 2018. I am traveling with my 13 year old. I have read reviews that the food is better on Azamara but wonder if the selection would be limited because it is about half the size in number of passengers. Azamara is running a special and all the lower cost rooms on Oceania are sold out so I am comparing veranda rooms at the same price. It is just me and my 13 yo and I just drink wine. I have to make a decision to get the deal on Azamara. Any specific comments on food would be appreciated.

Your 13 year old will love the cruise in the Baltics, as it is the parenting which makes the cruise for children. You know your child the best. The Baltics is port intensive, so get the child to research the ports of call in advance and see if he/she identifies anything he/she would like to do in port. Do independent travel in port. For days at sea, take puzzles and games he/she enjoys and some adults may join in. Get him to select a travel diary and fill out relevant details in advance. Oh to be 13 again and discovering the joys of cruising for the first time!

My children travelled from babies and are still frequent travellers as adults. They were taught that it wasn't OK to be bored or ungrateful!

Two things I have identified from this thread which are important to me, whilst cruising, are time in port and tipping.

Coming from a non tipping culture, I feel uncomfortable tipping, despite extensive experience tipping overseas. I like that it is included on Azamara.

? shorter time in port by Oceania. How long does Oceania stay in port? Any overnights, especially where the port has a night time dining/entertainment culture?

I have 15 cruises on Oceania. I have never had to pay tips. My ta always covered tips either through group or through the office. You need to find the right ta for Oceania. A high volume o ta can and will do better than one who books a handful of o cruises

I have done two cruises on azamara. I do not think the lines are remotely comparable. Oceania is better across the board in our opinion. The food on Oceania is far superior imo. We don’t consider azamara an option for us

We are not drinkers so included wine is not meaningful as a benefit. I always have large obc which can more than cover any wine I might have on occasion

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by bitob

Everyone is different and IMHO you have to try the options for yourself to find which suits you.

We have done 2 Oceania and 5 Azamara cruises. Azamara is undoubtedly superior in our opinion. That includes food –I have never understood why people rave about the Oceania food! We had a lot of cold/very salty/bland food on both our Oceania cruises. Gratuities have always been included in both lines. We are not big drinkers, but do enjoy a glass of wine with dinner.

However, we would travel either Azamara or Oceania if the itinerary/timing is right. Indeed, We have both Azamara and Oceania bookings coming up.

I would never expect anyone on a chat board to sail or not sail on a line because of my opinion. The op asked for feedback. I would guess he will hear as many pros or cons for each line. If he goes to the azamara boards in fact he will hear only criticism of Oceania and raves for azamara. The Oceania boards are far more balanced imo.

If he goes to the azamara boards in fact he will hear only criticism of Oceania and raves for azamara. The Oceania boards are far more balanced imo.

Have you actually followed the Azamara board? It's been my experience that you don't only hear criticism of Oceania and raves for Azamara since there are many that cross between the lines. There are also many who are complaining about their pricing and mentioning that Oceania offers an alternative. You seem to be the one doing the bashing imo. :D

I have 15 cruises on Oceania. I have never had to pay tips. My ta always covered tips either through group or through the office. You need to find the right ta for Oceania. A high volume o ta can and will do better than one who books a handful of o cruises

I have done two cruises on azamara. I do not think the lines are remotely comparable. Oceania is better across the board in our opinion. The food on Oceania is far superior imo. We don’t consider azamara an option for us

We are not drinkers so included wine is not meaningful as a benefit. I always have large obc which can more than cover any wine I might have on occasion

Thanks for your comments. Can you please explain to me how you get large OBCs? Is it because you do large volume business with your TA so she/he shares their commission? I can see it is important to get the right TA. I was excited when I got my first $50 OBC! I am not a drinker. However, I am a destination cruiser, so the itinerary and amount of time in port is important to me, as well as the size of the ship (small).

Obcs are generated three ways

With olife the more expensive cabin you book the larger the obc. We decline shorex and take the obc

Your status on Oceania based on number of cruises will get you obc (and gratuities and sometimes obc if your ta gives you gratuities). It can add up

The right ta is the biggest variable. A high volume ta often gives up a larger percentage of his or her commission to clients

It is not unusual to have obcs in four figures

Next time ur on an o cruise talk to fellow cruisers and get names of high volume Oceania tas. Some do much better for you than others and give excellent service in addition to perks

I will add

Some people get a small obc through Amex platinum but I never charge a cruise on American Express. I use sapphire reserve to get triple points and insurance. Much better value imo.

Owners of at least 100 shares of NCLH also are eligible for additional OBC:

http://www.nclhltdinvestor.com/static-files/23c8691e-2da7-4595-b132-a6ad137cf7f6

Oceania Club benefits:

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/experience/oceania-club/levels/

Good point. I never think about that since I dont own the stock. My understanding is that sometimes you cannot get the shareholder obc if ur getting something else. Maybe a shareholder can clarify

With olife the more expensive cabin you book the larger the obc. We decline shorex and take the obc

Your status on Oceania based on number of cruises will get you obc (and gratuities and sometimes obc if your ta gives you gratuities). It can add up

The right ta is the biggest variable. A high volume ta often gives up a larger percentage of his or her commission to clients

Next time ur on an o cruise talk to fellow cruisers and get names of high volume Oceania tas. Some do much better for you than others and give excellent service in addition to perks

Thank you. I always wondered how some passengers got four figures OBC.

I agree that a high volume Oceania TA is great to have. The one we stumbled onto through an online offer made our recent O cruise even better and helped in many ways aside from OBC. She was also good for booking stuff beyond O cruises! With Olife you can end up with a lot of OBC. On our recent Nautica cruise, however, it was hard to use up all of it even with better wines. The shops on that R ship did not have much of a selection (at least of things I would buy since I am not into jewelry, watches, or resort wear) and not much in the way of local items (on our Marina cruises, there was more in the way of local items). We took the excursions and still had to scramble to use up our credit on the last day! I loved Nautica anyway.

I've never seen anything on the Oceania website indicating that the O Life Choice on board credit varies by cabin category or cabin price. It is listed as a flat dollar amount per stateroom for the cruise, regardless of cabin type.

I've never seen anything on the Oceania website indicating that the O Life Choice on board credit varies by cabin category or cabin price. It is listed as a flat dollar amount per stateroom for the cruise, regardless of cabin type.

I concur. OBC does however vary from one cruise to another depending on length. Loyalty-based OBC (Oceania Club) does vary depending on level you have obtained, i.e. it increases at each 5 cruise level, beginning with five cruises.

Hi!

We've cruised princess and celebrity a lot. A Quest and O Riviera just one each.

A - really familiar atmosphere with CD, HD, captain and crew. They were really visible. Loved the white night and the azamazing evening.

Hate the tiny bathroom, smallest ever and it comes with a curtain! Food was ok not better than princess or X. We'd better drinks/wine onboard X . Even when we upgraded to the privilege (?) beverage package.

O - best food and drinks ever. Helpful waiters at the buffet. Taking the plates to our table. Spacious bathroom and stateroom.

If you don't want interaction with the crew O is fine!

We booked O's Riviera again for December 2017. We are more foodies and wine lovers.

Sent from my SM-T535 using Forums mobile app

I agree that a high volume Oceania TA is great to have. The one we stumbled onto through an online offer made our recent O cruise even better and helped in many ways aside from OBC. She was also good for booking stuff beyond O cruises! With Olife you can end up with a lot of OBC. On our recent Nautica cruise, however, it was hard to use up all of it even with better wines. The shops on that R ship did not have much of a selection (at least of things I would buy since I am not into jewelry, watches, or resort wear) and not much in the way of local items (on our Marina cruises, there was more in the way of local items). We took the excursions and still had to scramble to use up our credit on the last day! I loved Nautica anyway.

We had the same problem of lots of left-over OBC four days from the end of the 18 day cruise. Then hubby picked up some stomach infection (not norovirus!) and went to ship Dr. and 2 days later had $6000 worth of treatment (IV's , antibiotics, nursing care etc at full price!). OBC was ALL GONE. Thankfully insurance paid back everything -- even the lost shore excursion. There are things worse than leftover OBC. Can OBC be used to book a future cruise (deposit?).

You do not get the same obc for an inside as for the owners suite. The obc varies