More changes to Bistro on 5?

NCNina

Sushi may be discontinued from the buffet. :rolleyes:

I did love the original Bistro before the changes, but a Pizza Parlor would be nice. RCCL has a great set-up on their larger class ships.

I would assume the same thing. It isn't the best Sushi but it was one of the better items in the buffet for a snack. It will probably be the same Sushi for $15. The pizza in the buffet is awful. Acid sauce and rubber crust. I don't eat it for free so there is no way I would pay for it. I don't think they are capable of making a good pizza. I do enjoy the pizza on Princess.

I'm sure I read they were bringing in a couple of sushi chefs to help set the new place up to make sure it's done properly... [emoji848]

I'm also sure they will still have the selection in the buffet as that's the idea of a buffet... They still have steaks & fresh grilled fish in the buffet but they have them in the lawn grill (on the silhouette/reflection)

I prefer foods on a cruise that I can't come by easily at home. I can eat sushi every meal for a week where I live and not get to every sushi place within a 1/2 drive. No thanks. The Bistro was perfect for me as it was. Oh well.

You are from New Jersey where food choices are probably as diverse as the food choices in New York. My question is what do you order on Celebrity that you can't get at home? What am I missing? The quality of the international cuisine on celebrity is chain restaurant quality. They can't even make a good pizza. The crepes were not true crepes but more like Aunt Jemima pancakes that were rolled and stuffed.

Edited by Iamcruzin

You are from New Jersey where food choices are probably as diverse as the food choices in New York. My question is what do you order on Celebrity that you can't get at home? What am I missing? The quality of the international cuisine on celebrity is chain restaurant quality. They can't even make a good pizza. The crepes were not true crepes but more like Aunt Jemima pancakes that were rolled and stuffed.

Do I understand correctly from your signature that you have been on one Celebrity cruise (the Summit) in 2013?

We were on the Equinox in December and the pizza has improved greatly in the last couple of years, at least on Solstice class ships. I don't think I had any pizza on the Infinity in September, so don't know about the M-class ships.

We were in the Bistro twice on the Equinox, and the crepes weren't anything like Aunt Jemima pancakes, and were freshly made to order.

Being a vegetarian who doesn't eat anything that had parents, I steer very clear of seafood of any kind. Was so looking forward to having embarkation lunch at Bistro on 5. (Eclipse in April this year) With the main dining room closed and the buffet way too crowded for us, where else can we eat lunch??? Thanks!

Hmmm, we spend a lot of time in France and DH also makes crepes at home. I have never found the crepes at bistro on 5 to be anything like Aunt Jemima pancakes! They always seem very authentic to me and we really look forward to having them every time we're on board

Edited by CathyCruises

Do I understand correctly from your signature that you have been on one Celebrity cruise (the Summit) in 2013?

We were on the Equinox in December and the pizza has improved greatly in the last couple of years, at least on Solstice class ships. I don't think I had any pizza on the Infinity in September, so don't know about the M-class ships.

We were in the Bistro twice on the Equinox, and the crepes weren't anything like Aunt Jemima pancakes, and were freshly made to order.

I'm glad to hear the pizza has improved. I'm on the Summit in May so I look forward to giving it a try again. The crepes were freshly made but they were thick and chewy. Maybe I had a newbie preparing them. I was also charged for my drink and I had purchased the drink package. There was definitely something wrong that day. We went for lunch on a sea day and I never got a chance to go back. I wanted to try the salads

Just off the Silhouette. Had lunch at Bistro on Five on three different days. I ordered their French onion soup and a chicken Caesar salad. Both were fantastic. The soup had Gruyere cheese, and always came super hot. The romaine for the salad was left whole, just sliced length wise in half. Dressing on side, fresh croutons and cheese and grilled chicken ( or shrimp). It was worth every penny of the $10 surcharge. DH had different items each time and loved everything but the Mac and cheese offered on Mondays. The macaroni was over cooked.

Each time we were there we asked if the staff knew of any future changes and they all said same thing "no".

We had exceptional service in the Bistro on Dec 27. I have a food allergy daughter, and the staff at the Bistro went out of their way to make it work for her. She is allergic to the mix they use for the crapes, so they got fresh flour from a different kitchen and made her crepes from scratch. They also used Olive oil instead of the cooking spray to cook with.

Then, the waiter took down her allergic info and passed it to the Asst Matre'Ds. He then went and got that evening's menu and a MDR Asst Matre'D so she could go ahead and pre-order her dinner that evening.

That kind of service is why we went there for embarkation lunch. The buffet during embarkation with rood allergies is horrible! Well worth the $60 I spent on the cover charge!

• 2 weeks later...
Hmmm, we spend a lot of time in France and DH also makes crepes at home. I have never found the crepes at bistro on 5 to be anything like Aunt Jemima pancakes! They always seem very authentic to me and we really look forward to having them every time we're on board

My experience of the crepes is the same, thin, delicate, delicious and yes authentic!!

My experience of the crepes is the same' date=' thin, delicate, delicious and yes authentic!![/quote']

I have never passed a crepe stand in Paris or at a fair without buying one. Having said that, my Celebrity experience has been reheated crepes rather than ones made from scratch and served right from the crepe maker.....so they are much like getting a waffle from the bin instead of right off the waffle iron. They don't reheat well...they get warm but lose any crispness around the edges, etc.

Apparently, I just haven't been lucky....and I'm going to try again on the eclipse in a few weeks...but I'm not hopeful.

I have never passed a crepe stand in Paris or at a fair without buying one. Having said that, my Celebrity experience has been reheated crepes rather than ones made from scratch and served right from the crepe maker.....so they are much like getting a waffle from the bin instead of right off the waffle iron. They don't reheat well...they get warm but lose any crispness around the edges, etc.

Apparently, I just haven't been lucky....and I'm going to try again on the eclipse in a few weeks...but I'm not hopeful.

Hopefully you will enjoy them while you can. Those of us on the Reflection are getting the new 'Sushi on 5' . Seems from my roll call and some members on a B2B already on board. The switch is complete. No more Bistro food or crepes:confused:.

Bistro on 5 has been used on some cruises for B2B passengers to have a complementary lunch. It is always offered to Zeniths doing a B2B on turnaround day.i It is a listed benefit that may disappear. I'm guessing that there will be a replacement venue. Now we will have 2 seafood venues on Silhouette and Reflection. Great news for seafood lovers, but not good for those with allergies. Heard from a Corporate Chef that there are plans for a Deli. Now a great Deli would be a welcomed addition to many. Perhaps a wing and Tapas bar. They can keep trying until they find something that works.

We are sailing on the Reflection in three weeks Has the menu at Bistro changed yet? If so does anybody have a copy of the new menu or comments about it.

Since we aren't Sushi lovers and our entire party isn't in suites guess lunch will be at the buffet if no more salads and crepes are served.

We are sailing on the Reflection in three weeks Has the menu at Bistro changed yet? If so does anybody have a copy of the new menu or comments about it.

Since we aren't Sushi lovers and our entire party isn't in suites guess lunch will be at the buffet if no more salads and crepes are served.

This entire thread is about the change that has taken place on the Reflection already!!!!

Non suite guests can enjoy lunch in the buffet, MDR, aqua spa cafe, mast grill or the specialty restaurants($) when offered.

This entire thread is about tbhe change that has taken place on the Reflection already!!!!

Non suite guests can enjoy lunch in the buffet, MDR, aqua spa cafe, mast grill or the specialty restaurants($) when offered.

Most of the thread was from earlier this year. i wanted more current info as after reading three pages I read enough. I would have liked to see the menu from last weeks sailing. I have sailed on Celebrity multiple times and am aware of the current dining venues.

If somebody has the recent Bistro on five menu, I would appreciate seeing that. Thanks

Edited by Cruise a holic

I wish Celebrity would have taken a survey/poll from actual Celebrity guests on this subject.

No change or do we want Sushi ???

No Sushi for us.

I don't think "no change" was an option....it's a very underutilized space and more of a cost center than a profit center. They are taking a poll...it's a trial.....you vote with your $'s. If it works and it's profitable, then it stays, if not, then maybe it becomes a Sengalese restaurant next as a trial....who knows.

You realize, of course, that if they had made it a kentucky fried chicken location, there would be many rising up saying that they are serving fried, unhealthy food. How about a Deli..."well, does that mean you can't get a sandwich in the buffet any more...awful choice." Obviously, they aren't going to please everyone. Sushi appeals to Celebrity's target audience...perhaps not to many of us old, retired folks as much. It's not as popular in the UK as it is in the US and parts of Canada...but then again American's probably wouldn't herald a new "fish and chips" venue (I detest fish and chips).

Edited by ghstudio