Zaandam 21 day South America & Antarctic Explorer cruise log/review

StartrainDD

Thank you for your thorough review! It brought back memories of our 2013-14 Antarctic Holiday cruise on the Zaandam....probably the best out of 21 HAL cruises.:) Like you, we had perfect weather in Antarctica. It is truly a cruise everyone should take!

Your Dining Steward, Bambang, I suspected that was his name in the review, and the third time you mentioned it I was right...he was our Steward on the Prinsendam 2012 Amazon.

The first night at dinner on the Zaandam we heard some one call, "Mr. Rick, Mr. Rick!" It was Bambang...who remembered us. He was not our steward this time, but we enjoyed visiting with him through out the cruise.

Thank you so much for your fantastic review!

Karen

What a wonderful travelogue. Particularly interesting because we are booked on the Zaandam's same itinerary this coming Christmas/New Year.

Will we be overpenguined?

Impossible!!

We did Hope Bay on Christmas Day and were treated to hundreds of penguins breaching around the ship for hours. What a memory!

Will we be overpenguined?

You could be. We were not. But, if you do a penguin tour in Punta Arenas, the Falklands, and Puerto Madryn I think you would be over-penguined.

What I would do differently is I would take a Penguin tour in Punta Arenas (to the island) and the Falklands (like we did). Definitely not a third one in Puerto Madryn! If both Punta Arenas and the Falklands for some reason do not work out, as a last resort one could always book the ship's tour to see penguins in Puerto Madryn.

By the way, there were late "Ship's tours" in Puerto Madryn!

Arie

This has been a superb thread and I enjoyed it all.

I may have missed it, but who were your Captain, Hotel Director and Cruise Director?

Glad you had such a great time. It is indeed hard to top an Antarctic cruise!

The captain and CD both left at the end of the cruise.

Captain: Woulter van Hoogdalem

HD: Simon Tanner

CD: Linda Minnikin

Have a great day!

The captain and CD both left at the end of the cruise.

Captain: Woulter van Hoogdalem

HD: Simon Tanner

CD: Linda Minnikin

Have a great day!

Thanks. This explains how many times you refer to the Captain. He is very involved and very pax-orientated. You were fortunate!

If he's that involved with the passengers, then hopefully he'll be back same time next year. I'll look forward to seeing who my captain is when I board.

Could be Captain PJ (van Maurik)! Both are great! Things change, though.

You are going for Christmas?! We thought that the very best time, a true winter wonderland!

Could be Captain PJ (van Maurik)! Both are great! Things change, though.

You are going for Christmas?! We thought that the very best time, a true winter wonderland!

No, January 10. Seems all my Antarctica cruises have been early January in whichever year.

I just wouldn't want to be away at Christmas. It's such an emotion laden holiday, and I want to be with people I love.

I cruised over Thanksgiving a few years ago, and it felt so wrong. I swore I would never do that again.

No, January 10. Seems all my Antarctica cruises have been early January in whichever year.

I just wouldn't want to be away at Christmas. It's such an emotion laden holiday, and I want to be with people I love.

I cruised over Thanksgiving a few years ago, and it felt so wrong. I swore I would never do that again.

Good reasoning! I do think on the first January cruise there is a better chance of seeing wildlife, especially whales. Also, you have a better chance with the ice not being a problem, like in Paradise Bay.

I am happy to hear you are going to revisit my fav place to cruise! Outside on the deck, all wrapped up to keep warm........ Nice to have that one to look forward to!

I am happy to hear you are going to revisit my fav place to cruise! Outside on the deck, all wrapped up to keep warm........ Nice to have that one to look forward to!

My favorite place, too. This will be my 4th time to Antarctica, so I guess I must love it.

I just hope the loungers are out this time. Last cruise they were tied up for the best part of the cruise (Bar Manager thought it was too cold for anyone to want to sit out there :rolleyes:). If not, this time I'll untie them myself. ;)

My favorite place, too. This will be my 4th time to Antarctica, so I guess I must love it.

I just hope the loungers are out this time. Last cruise they were tied up for the best part of the cruise (Bar Manager thought it was too cold for anyone to want to sit out there :rolleyes:). If not, this time I'll untie them myself. ;)

Good for you. You really have to be proactive. What do Bar Managers know, anyways?

Arie & Cheryl,

It was great sailing with you on this cruise and taking tours together. :)

Thank you for your great review of the cruise and the details you gave. I haven't finished my personal log yet so this brought back some memories that I had forgotten. Maybe we will be on another cruise together someday.

Sharon

Does anyone know the weather and temperature ranges for this cruise.Does anyone have suggestions for the types of clothing to pack.

I've done this cruise three times, all of them in January. I expect your temperatures will be similar.

Temperatures ranged from way too hot/humid to freezing cold, with a biting wind, on every cruise.

Be prepared for sweltering, with a personal fan and neck coolers. Also have your heaviest winter coat, with hood or knit hat, gloves, silk long underwear. Layer, layer, layer.

We're contemplating that cruise. Perhaps we'll see you then!