Anne Frank House

xeriod

That walking tour looks very interesting! I may do that instead.

I will email them about times and stuff. I travel on my own and I see

they have minimum of 2 people....maybe they have other folks on the

same day as I would need.

Anne Frank may already be sold out..I hear they sell out very quickly..but keep checking!

He only does small groups...I think we were a group of 6 or 7 (1 gal was on her own)......He sends you a pile of info before the tour....so u can read up on it prior....and then sends you more info after the tour.....The pace of the walk is very leisurely as well...stop for coffee half way through....If one is going to spend some time in Amsterdam, would be great to do it at the beginning of your stay, as the tour would help orient you to the city.

Edited by flames9

I don't recall....he always replied back, I recall that. Super nice guy....info@historywalks.eu was the email I had used....

Thanks:)I just received a reply from Ben (he works with Peter) but it

doesn't look like the timing will work for me. He has a tour on the day

I arrive at 10am........my flight is supposed to arrive at about 7:45.

I don't want to have to worry/rush/etc about timing, etc. I emailed

him back asking if they have an afternoon tour. If they do, i would do

that one....otherwise I will talk to the folks at the hotel and maybe they

can suggest something:)

Rushing to find a tour on the morning I arrive is not my idea of a relaxing

way to start off my vacation.

If you are staying in a hotel contact the concierge and he will be able to obtain tickets for the time and day you want,

Radisson Blu said they couldn't help us out on this. I'll keep watching and hopefully get lucky with the tickets. Thanks to those of you keeping us posted about it.

I was checking last night for tickets, and nothing was available for March or April Today the entire first week of March shows availability. Don't give up hope. They may be retiming their reservation system.

Does it matter what time you look? Amsterdam is hours ahead of us - do they put new tickets online at a certain time? At least you found some and they are getting closer to when we want them!

Yes, we took one from Get Your Guide dot Com and it was a true skip the line experience.

I checked their website and they do not offer tickets to the Anne Frank House. They have an "Anne Frank tour". But it did not include going into the house. Here's what the website said:

The story of Anne Frank is known around the world because of her diary describing the period that she, her family, and 4 others spent in a secret annex hidden from Amsterdam’s German occupiers.

On this 2-hour private tour you’ll learn how the diary was handed by Miep Gies to Otto Frank after the war. She had saved a number of the family’s personal belongings after the Germans raided the house.

Otto Frank was reluctant to publish the diary, but when he read in the diary that it was his daughter’s wish to have it published, he allowed the book to become public in June 1947.

Your guide will show you the places where Anne Frank spent her happy childhood in Amsterdam and will provide commentary on the facts and fiction about her.

The tour takes place in the south of Amsterdam, where you’ll have the opportunity to become acquainted with an area of the city that you would otherwise likely not see.

What's Included

Tour with private guide for your group

Cup of coffee

What's Not Included

Ticket to the Anne Frank House

Edited by Go-Bucks!

I checked their website and they do not offer tickets to the Anne Frank House. They have an "Anne Frank tour". But it did not include going into the house. Here's what the website said:

The story of Anne Frank is known around the world because of her diary describing the period that she, her family, and 4 others spent in a secret annex hidden from Amsterdam’s German occupiers.

On this 2-hour private tour you’ll learn how the diary was handed by Miep Gies to Otto Frank after the war. She had saved a number of the family’s personal belongings after the Germans raided the house.

Otto Frank was reluctant to publish the diary, but when he read in the diary that it was his daughter’s wish to have it published, he allowed the book to become public in June 1947.

Your guide will show you the places where Anne Frank spent her happy childhood in Amsterdam and will provide commentary on the facts and fiction about her.

The tour takes place in the south of Amsterdam, where you’ll have the opportunity to become acquainted with an area of the city that you would otherwise likely not see.

What's Included

Tour with private guide for your group

Cup of coffee

What's Not Included

Ticket to the Anne Frank House

That is not the tour we took.

This is the the tour that we took, it was great:

https://www.getyourguide.com/amsterdam-l36/amsterdam-city-tour-anne-frank-s-museum-canal-cruise-t48516/

Edited by gui888

That is not the tour we took.

This is the the tour that we took, it was great:

https://www.getyourguide.com/amsterdam-l36/amsterdam-city-tour-anne-frank-s-museum-canal-cruise-t48516/

That does appear to include tickets into the Anne Frank House, but when I enter our date it just takes me to the other tour that I mentioned. :( Maybe it's cuz the tickets for our date (Aug. 5) aren't out yet (?).

That does appear to include tickets into the Anne Frank House, but when I enter our date it just takes me to the other tour that I mentioned. :( Maybe it's cuz the tickets for our date (Aug. 5) aren't out yet (?).

I think that you are correct. They seem to only take bookings 1-2 months out. When we went we booked about 6 weeks out. Well worth the effort!

Good Luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, now I checked the website and guess what.....there are only

evening times available for the day I wanted to go:rolleyes::(

I am really not sure how the folks who run the website do things......

I have been checking daily (for at least a month) but seems I must

have missed out:eek:......it shows the day but the times are listed

in Military hours.....1800 is 6:00pm....I am not going to visit in the

evening.

Guess I missed out.:eek:

Well, now I checked the website and guess what.....there are only

evening times available for the day I wanted to go:rolleyes::(

I am really not sure how the folks who run the website do things......

I have been checking daily (for at least a month) but seems I must

have missed out:eek:......it shows the day but the times are listed

in Military hours.....1800 is 6:00pm....I am not going to visit in the

evening.

Guess I missed out.:eek:

They do sell out very quickly, and most people want the earlier slots....There will still be plenty of daylight at 6pm.....Its a small house and the tour itself isnt that long.....

They do sell out very quickly, and most people want the earlier slots....There will still be plenty of daylight at 6pm.....Its a small house and the tour itself isnt that long.....

Looks like the day I will be there is now sold out. Oh well.

• 3 weeks later...
If your interested in WWII history and like a nice leisurely walk, highly recommend this tour: http://www.historywalks.eu/ It started at the Anne Frank house (didnt go inside, was just the starting point of the tour) Peter gives an awesome narrative tour....simply awesome!! Small group and you get to see a fair bit.....Can't say enough how informative it was.

Frankly, I don't get the whole appeal of the Anne Frank house. I've heard that it's empty, small, and that the crowds behind kind of rush you through. I think this tour, or the Jewish History Museum or the Dutch Resistance Museum would preferable - unless you had ancestors who lived in Amsterdam during that period.

But apparently, I'm in the minority since everyone seems to be asking about tickets. Someone posted this on our roll call ...

New entry rules for Anne Frank House
To give more people the opportunity to visit the Anne Frank House without having to wait in a queue, the museum will be introducing a new entry system from 1 May 2016. From 09:00 to 15:30 hr the Anne Frank House will only be open to visitors with an online ticket with a time slot.

These online tickets are for sale on our website:

From 15:30 hr until closing time the museum will be open to visitors who buy a ticket at the museum entrance.

This could explain why they are only putting up small batches of tickets at a time - they may be changing their web sit over

Frankly, I don't get the whole appeal of the Anne Frank house. I've heard that it's empty, small, and that the crowds behind kind of rush you through. I think this tour, or the Jewish History Museum or the Dutch Resistance Museum would preferable - unless you had ancestors who lived in Amsterdam during that period.

But apparently, I'm in the minority since everyone seems to be asking about tickets. Someone posted this on our roll call ...

New entry rules for Anne Frank House
To give more people the opportunity to visit the Anne Frank House without having to wait in a queue, the museum will be introducing a new entry system from 1 May 2016. From 09:00 to 15:30 hr the Anne Frank House will only be open to visitors with an online ticket with a time slot.

These online tickets are for sale on our website:

From 15:30 hr until closing time the museum will be open to visitors who buy a ticket at the museum entrance.

This could explain why they are only putting up small batches of tickets at a time - they may be changing their web sit over

Interesting u say that I was just reading nomadic Matt blog and he has an article 4 days in Amsterdam and he too doesn't like Anne frank house and says Jewish history museum covers her story much better

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Edited by teamflames

Interesting u say that I was just reading nomadic Matt blog and he has an article 4 days in Amsterdam and he too doesn't like Anne frank house and says Jewish history museum covers her story much better

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

That's what I heard too! I'm not sure where I read it! I'd like to know why so many people want to see the actual house - with nothing in it. I don't know, I'm supposing that it has a kind of shrine appeal, but I've read the book, seen the movie and pictures inside the house, so even though I'm not Jewish, I think the history museum would be more interesting.

I have visited both the Anne Frank House and other Holocaust Museums around the world.

The objectives are different...the museums are very informative and provide a lot more as far as an overview of the Holocaust. The Holocaust Museum in DC was one of the most sobering and impactful experiences I have ever had. I think ever human being should have to visit to see what hatred and intolerance results in...

I found the Anne Frank to be very well done...in a different way. Much more personal - forcused on a single story, giving a very authentic slice of the reality they faced in the Annex. Perhaps because I read her diary and knew her story so well, it touched me very deeply to actually be in the rooms that she stayed..the rooms that the story took place.

Perhaps for those who did not read her story it would not have the same effect.

I certainly wouldn't wait in a huge line as it would take away from so much to be seen in lovely Amsterdam. I was lucky that I got online tickets and our visit was very easy to manage. A memory I will treasure.

If COOL is what your looking for Holocaust Musuems should be avoided at all costs!!!:rolleyes:

I have been to Yad Vashim in Israel before......Museums that have

anything to do with the Holocaust would not be considered Cool but I

don't think that post was saying that.......(at least that is not how I

read it).

I am guessing Museums with all sorts of art can be cool though;)

I am looking for June tickets...website shows completely blank for the whole month. Most of the May dates say No Tickets Available. When do they release tickets? Day by Day, week by week, month by month?

Keep your eye on the website. A few days after I posted re: my frustration, the date opened up along with a bunch of others in May. Seems to be very hit and miss.

I think you may get tickets by waiting in line first thing in the morning before the house opens at 9. If you got there by 8 you might get in close to opening time. Not too bad to waste time at that hour as there is not as much to do in Amsterdam from 8-9 am.

This assumes you really want to see it and are willing to stand in line. Luckily I went years ago and although it was inspiring and very touching, I do not ferl the need to go twice. I have booked a tour of the Jewish area instead which includes the museum and highly recommended.