Anne Frank House

xeriod

Keep your eye on the website. A few days after I posted re: my frustration, the date opened up along with a bunch of others in May. Seems to be very hit and miss.

Updating for those also seeking tickets...

May now seems to be virtually sold out - No Tickets Available - and nothing still for any date in June.

Two thoughts about the comments here:

The tickets usually go on sale 2 months ahead of time. So by April 1st the June tickets will probably be on line. I'd keep checking every day. Also check out the etix site (this is the company that issues the tickets you buy online). They sometimes have more tickets available.

As far as "why go?" I would liken this to the difference between going to a museum about 9/11 in NYC vs going to stand at Ground Zero. You are THERE where it happened. If you do not see the difference here, it is impossible to explain. It is a personal choice. Neither one is a right or wrong decision.

I have visited both the Anne Frank House and other Holocaust Museums around the world.

The objectives are different...the museums are very informative and provide a lot more as far as an overview of the Holocaust. The Holocaust Museum in DC was one of the most sobering and impactful experiences I have ever had. I think ever human being should have to visit to see what hatred and intolerance results in...

I found the Anne Frank to be very well done...in a different way. Much more personal - forcused on a single story, giving a very authentic slice of the reality they faced in the Annex. Perhaps because I read her diary and knew her story so well, it touched me very deeply to actually be in the rooms that she stayed..the rooms that the story took place.

Perhaps for those who did not read her story it would not have the same effect.

I certainly wouldn't wait in a huge line as it would take away from so much to be seen in lovely Amsterdam. I was lucky that I got online tickets and our visit was very easy to manage. A memory I will treasure.

Excellent post and good explanation.

I agree with your thoughts on the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. I have been to several Holocaust museums around the world, as well.

I will be visiting Amsterdam this summer and will visit the Anne Frank House.

Thanks!

The tickets usually go on sale 2 months ahead of time. So by April 1st the June tickets will probably be on line. I'd keep checking every day. Also check out the etix site (this is the company that issues the tickets you buy online). They sometimes have more tickets available.

Thank you...

May is not completely sold out - I conducted a random check and if you check the etix site, there are, for example, tickets available for May 17th @ 15:20 & 15:40 - they just are not yet showing on the AFH site. Nothing posted yet for June.

I recommend checking daily - I believe there will be more available time slots released in May as there appears to be very little sold out past 10:15 am for the first few weeks. I hope they come up with a more efficient method of updating their website for available online tickets!

Excellent post and good explanation.

I agree with your thoughts on the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC. I have been to several Holocaust museums around the world, as well.

I will be visiting Amsterdam this summer and will visit the Anne Frank House.

Thanks!

Thank you...hope your visit is as memorable as mine was.

The Anne Frank house is not a museum in the usual sense of the word; it is a way to see and truly understand what people in hiding had to endure during those terrible times.

Sure, go to the Jewish History Museum but the house should also be visited to pull both sides of the horror together - the atmosphere in the room behind the bookcase is uncanny.

Edited by campolady

I checked late last week and a bunch were there for May. Then went to buy a day later (needed to check with DH in date and time) and they appeared sold out. But then checked again last night and there were lots of tickets so I bought them. Point being, keep checking as it seems tickets will go on and off sale at various times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I checked late last week and a bunch were there for May. Then went to buy a day later (needed to check with DH in date and time) and they appeared sold out. But then checked again last night and there were lots of tickets so I bought them. Point being, keep checking as it seems tickets will go on and off sale at various times.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yes, seeing May available now.

• 2 weeks later...
I am looking for June tickets...website shows completely blank for the whole month. Most of the May dates say No Tickets Available. When do they release tickets? Day by Day, week by week, month by month?

Mickeysgal,

The June tickets are now on sale online. I just got mine for the 9:00am time slot.

Sue

Mickeysgal,

The June tickets are now on sale online. I just got mine for the 9:00am time slot.

Sue

We just logged on, checked several dates and only that 9am time slot seems to be available? Is it possible to get a different time?

We just logged on, checked several dates and only that 9am time slot seems to be available? Is it possible to get a different time?

I want a later time slot too! Only 9:00 available for June yet. Why is that??

I want a later time slot too! Only 9:00 available for June yet. Why is that??

They seem to only post that 9 am at first. I looked at a couple of dates in early June and each one only had 9-9:15. Maybe they sell that out first then add more? I wanted early, so it worked for me.

June is now showing no tickets available. Wow.

For those that are monitoring, can you post if you see the first few days in July go on sale?

I think we just need to keep watching and they continue to add later times periodically. Their way of selling tickets isn't very user friendly.

I think we just need to keep watching and they continue to add later times periodically. Their way of selling tickets isn't very user friendly.

I agree with this. I've been trying to monitor this ready for my cruise in October - I have not seen later times in June yet, 9am is too early for us as we don't know Amsterdam so it would be a real rush/panic to get there that early. However I saw some April or May ones the other day quite late in the day. It is quite confusing - do we wait and see if later times are added or lose out?

I can see me giving up and booking the expensive ship tour!

Something that might help those going first thing. It was a little confusing for us as we showed up around 8:45 and there was already a line forming. It turns out there are two lines, one for reservations and one for walk-ins. As I recall, the reservation line was at the left door and was not very well marked.

I agree with this. I've been trying to monitor this ready for my cruise in October - I saw some April or May ones the other day quite late in the day. It is quite confusing - do we wait and see if later times are added or lose out?

I can see me giving up and booking the expensive ship tour!

I noticed this too - really a hassle waiting to find the time that is convenient and if I miss it I'm afraid we won't be going there because I don't want to take the time to stand in line. I am hoping to get one of the latest reserved times so I'll keep watching!

Something that might help those going first thing. It was a little confusing for us as we showed up around 8:45 and there was already a line forming. It turns out there are two lines, one for reservations and one for walk-ins. As I recall, the reservation line was at the left door and was not very well marked.

Kirk,

The website says there is a new ticketing system as of May 1, 2016. You must have a timed online ticket for entry between 9 and 3:30. After 3:30 you can buy a ticket there, for that afternoon. I was hoping this would mean minimal lines and probably only one line until 3:30pm.

As I am going in June, I sure hope they have the new system figured out!

Sue

For those that cannot get tickets to AF huis, if you have some more time, take a short trainride to Haarlem. Not ony a charming city, but also a visit to this special place were jews were hidden during WW2. Even a film was made about this. Google Corrie ten Boom and have a look at this website.https://www.corrietenboom.com/old/information.htm

Kirk,

The website says there is a new ticketing system as of May 1, 2016. You must have a timed online ticket for entry between 9 and 3:30. After 3:30 you can buy a ticket there, for that afternoon. I was hoping this would mean minimal lines and probably only one line until 3:30pm.

As I am going in June, I sure hope they have the new system figured out!

Sue

Thanks Sue, sounds like it changed since our last visit (2014??). That should eliminate the line confusion. We plan on visiting again next year so glad to hear they have made it reservations only. We will either go first thing or very late to try and minimize the crowd. On our last visit we were some of the first ones so it was not crowded inside.