Favorite Spa Services

Saphire

During past cruises I have always been intrigued by the specials the Spa sends out, but I have never taken advantage. I recall one offer where you could choose three options for $99. Has anyone tried that? Can you tell me what your favorite services are? Thanks.

I'm not a spa person at home, but I do indulge when on a ship. I like that $99 special. I usually get 20 minute neck and shoulders massage, 20 minute mini-facial, and 20 minute scalp massage. Feels SO good!

I also like the $99 special but I've always chosen 4 - 15 minute items. I always choose the scalp massage, mini facial, neck and shoulder massage and foot massage:) Can't wait to do this again in July. Once I mentioned to the young lady that my lower back was sore and she gave me a mini hot rock massage. I need some of these treatments while sitting at my computer now:D

I tend to indulge, and will get the 10%/20%/30% deal for booking three treatments.

If there is a barber on board, one will be a shave/facial for a <s>Formal</s> Gala Night, one will be a pedicure and one will be a massage. The spa has always been great about applying the 30% to the most expensive and 10% to the least expensive treatments.

Edited by visagrunt

I'm new to HAL, but have used spa services on CCL ships. Carnival Dream had a fantastic special of 5 -- 15 min treatments for about $100. (can't remember the exact price) I loved the hand massage, foot massage, mini facial. But after the scalp massage I came out looking worse than Phyllis Diller. Hubby got a big kick out of the way my hair went in all directions & felt like somebody had added shortening, then flour. :eek::D

I am happy to hear these specials might be available on the NA in April. I will definitely check it out.

I have had a few massages but got tired of being pressured to buy the products afterwards. The same services are much cheaper at salons near my home, so I quit using the spa on the ship.

My way around the hard sell is to ask them to write down the recommended products with prices, saying that I had to talk to my husband before buying. (I don't, but they don't need to know that!) [emoji6]

I had a scalp massage on Carnival once and also exited the spa looking like Phyllis Diller. [emoji3]

I only visit the spa out of necessity. I have my artificial nails done every two weeks of life and in order to maintain the schedule on longer cruises I have to book with the spa. The nail techs often seem disappointed that I don't consider a spa visit like a religious experience. I just want to get it over with and get on with my day. I am also not interested in buying products. I just want my nails done.

My way around the hard sell is to ask them to write down the recommended products with prices, saying that I had to talk to my husband before buying. (I don't, but they don't need to know that!) [emoji6]

I had a scalp massage on Carnival once and also exited the spa looking like Phyllis Diller. [emoji3]

Lol, glad to know that I am not alone.

My favorite spa treatment is the bamboo massage. I haven't seen it offered anywhere but on ship. I've asked at just about every land based resort/spa I've been to and they don't know what I'm talking about. It feels completely different to me than a massage where they use their hands, the rolling motion feels really good. Like you're a big batch of pastry dough :)

• 6 months later...
During past cruises I have always been intrigued by the specials the Spa sends out, but I have never taken advantage. I recall one offer where you could choose three options for $99. Has anyone tried that? Can you tell me what your favorite services are? Thanks.

Browsing through the Spa Services...sounds like it is perhaps better to book once on board, in order to take advantage of any specials??

Browsing through the Spa Services...sounds like it is perhaps better to book once on board, in order to take advantage of any specials??

Absolutely wait for daily specials. You will get flyer every day explaining the specials available. Usually best ones are for port days when most people off ship. I have done the $99 special also and hot stone massage is best. Usually do facial and scalp or foot massage as other choices. I just tell them I use other products and no high pressure sales. Have fun in AK next month.

Jane

While the daily specials are great, I always want specific times based on our itinerary and what we might be doing, so I book my services on day of embarkation to get the exact times I want. I have always been able to take advantage of the 10%/20%/30% on three services, so it works out fine for me.

Hot stone massage is a given...its my favorite. I will usually schedule a facial as well and either a pedicure (early on, if I haven't had a chance to get a fresh one before leaving home) or a second massage treatment.

I have also used HAL's hair salon with great success, so I may also schedule a hair appt to have my hair done for formal nights. On one trip the stylist recommended a keratin treatment which I indulged in, and was so glad I did. I now have it done regularly and through my home salon learned that the service was competitively priced on the ship.

WOW, great suggestions! Thank you! I think that I will wait and see which daily specials are being offered.

And thank you Jane, we are getting super excited! First timers to AK!

Edited by SherriM

My pet peeve with the spa services is that I wish there were a man's Barber. I don't want a fancy hair styling, (that needs to be redone in two weeks), I simply want a HAIR CUT, the kind that can be found in any barber shop in the US. I don't care if the entire thing is done with an electric clipper without the "stylist holding a scissors and taking five snips in the air without ever coming near my hair.

Scott & Karen

I do have two massages booked for my cruise (August 24). Should I cancel and rebook when I learn about the specials? I don't want to end up paying a lot more for a service I could have gotten for less on special. Any advice?

Thanks!

I do have two massages booked for my cruise (August 24). Should I cancel and rebook when I learn about the specials? I don't want to end up paying a lot more for a service I could have gotten for less on special. Any advice?

Thanks!

When I see the "specials" i always assume they have already been booked up by the time I think about doing them. They only have so many slots. So you might pay more up front, but you do know for sure you will be getting what you want.

So as they say, you pays your money and takes your chances (it might be cheaper) or you don't pays your money and also take your chances ...of maybe not getting anything at all. :eek: Hard call.

Let's see what others say about the specials getting over-booked when offered, or not.

Edited by OlsSalt

When I see the "specials" i always assume they have already been booked up by the time I think about doing them. They only have so many slots. So you might pay more up front, but you do know for sure you will be getting what you want.

So as they say, you pays your money and takes your chances (it might be cheaper) or you don't pays your money and also take your chances ...of maybe not getting anything at all. :eek: Hard call.

Let's see what others say about the specials getting over-booked when offered, or not.

I do the specials on every cruise and have never had a problem getting a good time slot. I just call or go by the spa shortly after they open to get appointment.

Jane