Chic Nights

florence11

We will be on the Reflection in a few weeks and my husband will bring his tux with 2 shirts and 2colors of ties. I will have one long gown and one other formal cocktail dress. They are actually lighter than most of my other clothes and don't wrinkle! We love to dress up andit is one of our favorite things about cruising. We get two bags free because we have a credit card with American and even with my husband's SCUBA gear, we don't hit our weight limit. Can't wait to go!

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

SheriffJoe, I just love your explanation of the photographer situation on the ships. Do you know how long those people they hire and train to shoot portraits on the ships have to do that job before they can be considered professional? l was just thinking that they got trained and paid for doing it and that kind of elevated their work from amateur into professional.

We usually buy a few of the pictures taken by the ship photographers -professional or amateur it's worth dressing nicely on chic night and posing for a few. What I don't like is when they bring the camera to the tables in the dining room.

Well said, the photographers i've spoken to on ships and got to know quite well usually have a degree in Photography and have certainly a qualified background (not that that is any substitute for artistic talent in my view). If they are being paid to take photographs full time thus earn a living from it then they are professionals in my view, how can they not be?

On elegant or chic nights there are several pro photographers set up throughout the public areas of the ship with various fancy or classic backdrops and benches.

On the Summit not only were they unprofessional they took the worst pictures that I have ever seen. They took a landscape picture of us on formal night. My wife was wearing a long dress. Common sense would tell you to take a portrait shot. No they decided to take a horizontal shot leaving too much space on either side and cutting the picture at my wife's bust line. We have had better pictures taken of us by friends using their cell phone. I viewed a lot of other passenger pictures and they weren't worthy of being posted on social media let alone purchased and framed.

Edited by Iamcruzin

On the Summit not only were they unprofessional they took the worst pictures that I have ever seen. They took a landscape picture of us on formal night. My wife was wearing a long dress. Common sense would tell you to take a portrait shot. No they decided to take a horizontal shot leaving too much space on either side and cutting the picture at my wife's bust line. We have had better pictures taken of us by friends using their cell phone. I viewed a lot of other passenger pictures and they weren't worthy of being posted on social media let alone purchased and framed.

I agree. At best amateurs with expensive cameras.

Edited by davekathy

Definition of a professional photographer according to Google:

A professional photographer is a photographer who earns 100% of his income from photography. This is the definition required for entrance into the secret Nikon and Canon factory support organizations. Amateur Photographer. People who earn less than 50% of their income from photography are amateurs.

I don't care about the photographers--I don't cruise to get my portraits done...

Here's my take:

I used to always pack a tux for formal nights...But I hate dressing in it...too much work. Plus, it takes up too much space in my limited luggage and arrives wrinkled...

I have always packed a variety of casual wear--from golf shirts to Hawaiian shirts to "dress" shirts...along with dockers or similar long slacks...

Now, with the "Evening Chic" designation, I can leave the tux at home...and pack, basically, just the more casual attire...except that I'll wear the golf and Hawaiian shirts and khaki colored dockers on "casual" nights...and I'll have black slacks and a black or black/white long sleeve dress shirt for those Chic nights...Dressing in black and with a collared long sleeve shirt is appropriate enough for "evening chic"...The look would be classy enough to go out to a nice night club back home but doesn't require being burdened by a coat and tie or other accouterments...

For my wife, she no longer needs those long sequined gowns or over the top formal stuff, but can get away with a simple black dress or other attire she might wear to a nice restaurant...

I don't care about the photographers--I don't cruise to get my portraits done...

Here's my take:

I used to always pack a tux for formal nights...But I hate dressing in it...too much work. Plus, it takes up too much space in my limited luggage and arrives wrinkled...

I have always packed a variety of casual wear--from golf shirts to Hawaiian shirts to "dress" shirts...along with dockers or similar long slacks...

Now, with the "Evening Chic" designation, I can leave the tux at home...and pack, basically, just the more casual attire...except that I'll wear the golf and Hawaiian shirts and khaki colored dockers on "casual" nights...and I'll have black slacks and a black or black/white long sleeve dress shirt for those Chic nights...Dressing in black and with a collared long sleeve shirt is appropriate enough for "evening chic"...The look would be classy enough to go out to a nice night club back home but doesn't require being burdened by a coat and tie or other accouterments...

For my wife, she no longer needs those long sequined gowns or over the top formal stuff, but can get away with a simple black dress or other attire she might wear to a nice restaurant...

Prefect. The nice thing about Celebrity's new suggested dress guidelines for the MDR is it's a win win deal for everyone. It doesn't get any simpler than that. I just don't get all the bitching from some.

Edited by davekathy

In January, on Silhouette, there was a wide range of dress on formal nights. The majority of women wore cocktail attire - little black dresses, black pants and sparkly tops. The most notable change was with the men - with many wearing long sleeved shirts, slacks, no jacket. There were a few in gowns and tuxes and a few who were dressed casually.

We also were on the Silhouette in Jan, but I sure didn't see any of those men in gowns.

We ate in Select each evening at 6:30, we sat by the rail and I was able to see first seating in the lower level in Traditional. 2 things,

1. Each night only about 2/3 of the tables were in use, some nights less.

2. On the two Evening Chic nights there were less than a dozen men in tuxes, and they were mainly in the Traditional seating area. During our dining time I saw very few tuxes in Select.

We also were on the Silhouette in Jan, but I sure didn't see any of those men in gowns.

We ate in Select each evening at 6:30, we sat by the rail and I was able to see first seating in the lower level in Traditional. 2 things,

1. Each night only about 2/3 of the tables were in use, some nights less.

2. On the two Evening Chic nights there were less than a dozen men in tuxes, and they were mainly in the Traditional seating area. During our dining time I saw very few tuxes in Select.

Oops! Sorry you missed that. The men were wearing flip flops and gowns to cover their hairy toes. :D;):D:eek:

Thank you for a believable report on formal wear, ORV!

Yesterday when someone posted "about 40% of us in formal wear" I thought that would have been about three times the level of actual formal wear worn under the former dress code. Very hard to imagine!

Edited by X-elite

Definition of a professional photographer according to Google:

A professional photographer is a photographer who earns 100% of his income from photography. This is the definition required for entrance into the secret Nikon and Canon factory support organizations. Amateur Photographer. People who earn less than 50% of their income from photography are amateurs.

What happens if you are between 50% and 100%?

Semi professional

Took the words out of my mouth :D.

Orv,

I bet it will be less than 2/3 when the new Select policy (no prepaid grats) kicks in. I wonder if they will start seating the overflow from Select in the MDR traditional area? Will that be the excuse used when it all becomes Select (of course, only my personal thoughts ;))?

Edited by villauk

I bet it will be less than 2/3 when the new Select policy (no prepaid grats) kicks in. I wonder if they will start seating the overflow from Select in the MDR traditional area? Will that be the excuse used when it all becomes Select (of course, only my personal thoughts ;))?

I can see traditional set time dinning disappearing in a few years. It won't make a bit of difference to us as we always went either select or Blu/Luminae.

Edited by Gordoncruickshank

Took the words out of my mouth :D.

Orv,

I think the removal of the necessity of pre-paid grats is just the first step to the jettison of traditional dining,

It can't go on the way it is, with the largest section (lower deck) of the MDR devoted to traditional and the smaller section devoted to Select. It is already too crowded, especially on M Class ships now that they have carved both Blu and Luminae from the MDR.

Put in a reservation system that guarantees you same table/same time for the benefit of Traditional diners and dump the current dining system. Like formal nights, it is a vestige of a past time and turns off many more cruisers (and potential cruisers) than it turns on.

[quote name='shipgeeks']We are sailing in April as well, and will be packing as we have always done: tux/long dress or cocktail dress for Chic nights, and sportcoat/dress for others.[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU!!!! DH and I are SO happy that someone else will still be wearing tux/long dress for "chic nights". I must admit we are very unhappy that "X" has changed away from "formal nights".