Virgin Gorda the Baths Excursion help

verrybusy

I am sailing on the Escape in March and have read that The Baths are a must-see. Reviews, however, leave me with more questions than answers. I'm in good health, but not an athlete nor a strong swimmer. I primarily want to explore, take some pictures, and see a bit more than the dock.

Is this an experience that can be modified? I'm sure that I can climb down the stairs to get to the beach, but after that...?

I've done some searches and checked some YouTube videos, but still can't quite figure out if this is something that a 40ish couch potato can manage solo.

Thoughts?

I think you would still be able to do the excursion. I would describe my wife the same as you, not an athlete or strong swimmer. As an example she did a 5k yesterday in about 53 minutes, so she can walk 5k but barely jogged if at all. She was able to do everything at the baths. There's not really any swimming involved at all. You are at a beach so you decide how deep you would want to go. The trip from the baths to devils bay is the most difficult part. There was one point where we needed to crawl on all fours and another part where we had to do down a steep incline which led to a jump of probably 2-3 feet into ankle deep water. We didn't have water shoes so were trying to carry our sneakers and our kids sneakers and a backpack full of towels , etc which added a lot to the difficulty. I would recommend having both hands free as there are times where you will need to steady yourself and then the trip should be no problem

First off, take a Bonine before breakfast the morning of your excursion to Virgin Gorda as many people got seasick on the ferry going over.

There are 2 ways to see The Baths. One way is with the NCL excursion which requires the climb down the steps and then back up the steps. The other way is to take a small boat into the baths and swim into the Bath's beach and then back out. I believe this second method would be less tiring, but more expensive.

If you take the stairs, be certain to buy a bottled water (or bring one) at The Baths beach. Take the stairs on the right down to The Bath's Beach as this is the steeper set of stairs. Come back up via the stairs above Devils Bay Beach. It is imperative that you wear water shoes for this excursion. The other thing is to bring a flat beach bag you can easily carry or put over your shoulder as needed, NOT a backpack which will not fit through the caves. I saw lots of people who had backpacks really struggling on this excursion regardless of fitness because the backpack would constantly get stuck in crevices or need to be carried by hand. If you have reasonable upper body strength you should be able to get up and down the rocks in the caves. Once through the caves, stop at Devils Bay Beach to cool down in the water before you make your ascent back up to the parking lot. This ascent is where that bottled water will come in handy. At the top of the Baths is "Top of the Baths" restaurant and bar. They have a very nice cold freshwater pool and the best Pina Coladas in all of the Caribbean so do stop there to cool down and have a refreshment.

I think it might be beneficial if you start walking daily prior to your cruise. Start out 1/2 mile per day and work yourself up to 3 miles per day. This will increase your stamina enough that you will be able to really enjoy this tour and not be quite so exhausted afterwards.

I definitely agree with the bovine morning of the cruise. The ferry over was definitely choppy.

You can put your things in a locker when you get there -- so as long as you don't care about spending a few for that, no worries about your things.

Listen to the poster about getting down on all fours, tight spaces, etc ... however as long as you can do those things, you will be fine. I liken it to trying to get something from under the sofa. There is bending and strength-needed climbing (but only short climbs).

I am not athletic at all and have a bad back and did fine. I got scraped a tiny bit when I had to get down on all fours, but I would do it again. It is totally worth it!

There are 2 ways to see The Baths. One way is with the NCL excursion which requires the climb down the steps and then back up the steps. The other way is to take a small boat into the baths and swim into the Bath's beach and then back out. I believe this second method would be less tiring, but more expensive.

From what I've read, swimming in to the Baths is actually more difficult than the hike down and up, due to the currents in the area.

We were a group of fairly active 30-somethings who did the trip, and I don't think any of us found the walk at all difficult. There are some tight areas in the caves, and also some areas that involve climbing.

We had no issues swimming in The Baths on Jan. 29. Beautiful day and the water was crystal clear. But the hike down and up is not for anyone who isn't in decent shape. It's about a 15-minute hike each way, and walking between the rock formations requires some bending, and climbing and careful walking.

But it is a great place to visit.

There were people of all shapes and sizes and ages doing the baths excursion (the cheaper option w/o the swimming) - and they all made it through.

People help each other if they are having difficulties getting through the rocks.

As for the climb back up, just take your time, and you'll be fine.

There were people of all shapes and sizes and ages doing the baths excursion (the cheaper option w/o the swimming) - and they all made it through.

People help each other if they are having difficulties getting through the rocks.

As for the climb back up, just take your time, and you'll be fine.

Thank you so much for the quick feedback! :) I appreciate all of your responses. I went ahead and booked the excursion without the swim to the beach and I will be well prepared with water shoes, a flat-pack, motion sickness meds and a bottle of water. (Thank you for the tips! :)

I am sailing on the Escape in March and have read that The Baths are a must-see. Reviews, however, leave me with more questions than answers. I'm in good health, but not an athlete nor a strong swimmer. I primarily want to explore, take some pictures, and see a bit more than the dock.

Is this an experience that can be modified? I'm sure that I can climb down the stairs to get to the beach, but after that...?

I've done some searches and checked some YouTube videos, but still can't quite figure out if this is something that a 40ish couch potato can manage solo.

Thoughts?

Since a 60ish couch potato can do it, you can probably do just fine.

I am curious about this excursion. I just don't understand the appeal so please someone fill me in on what I don't know. Its a bunch of rocks that you walk and climb over in water that is cool and the same temperature as the ocean. There is an ok beach once you get through the rocks. I have watched multiple videos and read how many people go there but it does not look that exciting to me.

What am I missing? Why do they call it the baths?

Edited by david_sobe

I am curious about this excursion. I just don't understand the appeal so please someone fill me in on what I don't know. Its a bunch of rocks that you walk and climb over in water that is cool and the same temperature as the ocean. There is an ok beach once you get through the rocks. I have watched multiple videos and read how many people go there but it does not look that exciting to me.

For me, it seems like there would be some great opportunities for photography, which is something that I enjoy. I live and work in Florida, year-round, so the beach is not necessarily a big draw for me. I would imagine that, like anything else, it depends on what you are into. I tend to be one who simply enjoys new experiences and sights.

We went and the next time I'm going to the more secluded side and stay there and not bothering to walk through the rocks. The beach there was beautiful... the water so clear... the sand so soft.... as per the side with lockers and food stands, etc.... that was a waste... but that's just my opinion....

Sent from my SM-N910W8 using Tapatalk

You're not missing a lot. We did this excursion last week. While it is really pretty, I was a little let down by it. It's basically a beach excursion with a crawl through a few rocks. If photography is your goal, it will be pretty difficult given the number of people passing through the rock part. It also gets very congested later in the morning. Considering the cost when booking through NCL, an easy cab ride to any of the Tortola beaches would have been a better option and saved a ton of money.

We were a group of 3 (13yo boy, 50 auntie, 60s grandmother) and booked our excursion through NCL.

Grandma does yoga, Zumba and can even bike/walk paths. In fact she did a class just about every morning on the ship. She did not do the hike to Devils Beach and it was the right decision. We all took a pretty simple path down to the beach and loved the beach there. Before heading down nephew rented snorkel equipment ($10) and did some snorkeling on that side. We left the equipment with grandma and he and I took of for Devil's Beach and the more difficult path.

It was longer than I expected, there's an area where we used a rope to scaled a large boulder and the path isn't as well marked as I thought it should be. The trip was longer than 15 minutes, probably more like 25-30. Even the path from the beach back to the parking lot is a challenge, though I'm sure my mother could have done that. You could go to Devil's beach directly from the parking lot rather than try to cross over through the boulders as we did.

I'm glad I did it, but wouldn't do it again unless I came down the side directly to Devil's beach. I'm the 50yo and I'm athletic (play basketball several times a week, pilates/yoga, ride a mountain bike, etc.).

Edited by Nola26

Your ship has about 4,000 passengers. The Baths get very crowded especially with many wanting to see this wonderful area.

I disagree with other posters; we have been here twice and the water and bolder formations are incredible.

If you go to the Tortola port board you might find other options than an NCL excursion. You will also find other nearby beaches less crowded but with the same elements.

You will still have to ferry but compare prices between NCL and any of the tour agents mentioned on the Board or do a search on Virgin Gorda island tours and transportation.

The climb is steep and can be slippery. I am something close to a couch potato and I made it down and back!

So, this will be our third visit to the area in March and Escape will be in Tortola while our ship is smaller and we will tender directly into Virgin Gorda.

We hope to get there earlier and leave before mid-day.

The swim was quite difficult. I wanted to bring my water camera - tied to my wrist, and with the currents had a tough time swimming in. It doesn't look as nearly as far as it is. You can't really take a break with the currents or you will drift too far. So just keep that in mind. If I could do it again I would go on one of the smaller boats that brought you in closer.

Let me add that the Virgin Gorda Baths are a beautiful area, the rock formations, beach area and feel of the water are wonderful. I didn't take a phone with me that day, so no photos to share.

The trek through the more cave like areas takes effort, but will result in seeing some amazing things. One thing I didn't include in my earlier post, "grandma" took the Baths hike years ago when she first visited Tortola, so no need to try it 10+yrs later.

One really nice thing about the NCL trip is the ferry boat was at the end of the dock, extremely easy. Since the trip involved a ferry ride and bus to the destination I booked through NCL to keep it simple and for the peace of mind relative to getting back in time. Some will feel comfortable with a 3rd party, but for this one I paid for for the NCL version and I'm fine with that decision.

We were there the last week of August and I think our boat needed 3 buses to get everyone to the Baths, but it didn't feel crowded at the beach.

You're not missing a lot. We did this excursion last week. While it is really pretty, I was a little let down by it. It's basically a beach excursion with a crawl through a few rocks. If photography is your goal, it will be pretty difficult given the number of people passing through the rock part. It also gets very congested later in the morning. Considering the cost when booking through NCL, an easy cab ride to any of the Tortola beaches would have been a better option and saved a ton of money.

LOL ok. Thought I was missing something. Not knocking the excursion but its just rock formations on a beach. Got it ;)

I'm interested in going there as well. However, as I travel alone and love photogrphy I would have my big camera (Canon) with me.

Can anyone tell me if there are any lockers? I would like to take a swim and Need my valuables stored somewhere.

I don't mind travelling alone but sometime it sucks :mad: ;)

I'm interested in going there as well. However, as I travel alone and love photogrphy I would have my big camera (Canon) with me.

Can anyone tell me if there are any lockers? I would like to take a swim and Need my valuables stored somewhere.

I don't mind travelling alone but sometime it sucks :mad: ;)

someone did comment early in this post that there are lockers :)

someone did comment early in this post that there are lockers :)

From memory, the lockers are at the top of the trails. Unless you're VERY sure of your grip, I wouldn't recommend going through the baths with a good camera without some kind of waterproof case. I left my DSLR onboard and bought a cheap Nikon (ugh) waterproof point and shoot for the trip, and was very glad that I did.

From memory, the lockers are at the top of the trails. Unless you're VERY sure of your grip, I wouldn't recommend going through the baths with a good camera without some kind of waterproof case. I left my DSLR onboard and bought a cheap Nikon (ugh) waterproof point and shoot for the trip, and was very glad that I did.

thanks. Will look for a cheap camera

We were on the Escape in January and toured the Baths. If you are in good health, the trails are definitely manageable. We hiked up and down both trails, took some photos and spent some time at both sides of the beach. We did not go through all the caves as there was a large log jam at the area were you wade through the caves. Also, I had my phone and fitness watch on my wrist, and was concerned about water exposure to these items.

No swimming was involved in seeing either side of the beach, and we did both trails in about 2 hours. We saw elderly folks doing the trails, and folks I would classify as less than fit on the trails. The main issue on the trails is the uneven terrain. However, if you watch your step no problems.