Live...mostly...from Anthem

KarinaGW

To put it mildly. I know, at this point, i sound kind of lackadaisical...the ship is definitely heaving about and listing a good couple degrees alternating sides....and the wind is howling and every now again we go weightless. But, after 4 hours, it starts to feel almost not normal, but you get kinda used to it.

Started to feel a bit like standard airplane turbulence up here one deck 11. We can only tell when it's bad whenever our shower door/enclosure violently swings open and hits the bathroom door. We've given up on putting things back on the vanity/dresser surfaces since they just keep sliding off. No seasickness, just a dull headache for me.

Edited by bedazzler

I'm sitting on the floor of my cabin, wishing every positive thought I have toward the captain and his crew! My husband is keeping me calm.

The announcements over the PA from the beginning told us this could last 5-6 hours. The captain has us basically staying in one place, continually rotating to try to best position against the wind. Riding out the storm. If you watch the ship map on the TV, you can see the angle of the wind hitting us at up to about 145 knots at the worst we've seen it display. It's so ominous, yet so hard to look away...

Captain is on the PA now, saying things have improved and there barometic pressure is increasing, so hoping we will be through this within a few hours. Says he is in contact with the Miami office and coast guard. I'm sure staying put is the absolute safest choice they all agree on.

The huge rocking of the ship at 3:30 or 4 or so started quite unexpectedly. I happened to be midway into the bathroom at the exact wrong time and had to grab the doorframe to catch myself. Fingers got slammed when the door swung shut hard on its own. I don't think they're broken, just bruised, but I would rather have ten broken fingers and still have my lfe, so this an extraordinarily small complaint in the grand scheme of things. When we get through this, I will gladly shake the captain's hand, bruised fingers or not!

(Sorry this was so long.

Jamie, so glad your injuries were not worse. I'm sure there will be others. Please do not apologize for the long post. Lots of people on here want the first hand information vs all the crap on the news. Apparently someone onboard was posting crazy things on twitter. Glad to hear it is not true.

Hopefully the storm is starting to lessen. Keep us posted and stay safe

Latest update.

Things are a little calmer... bearing in mind that all things are relative.

The pressure is apparently rising which is a good thing..capt seemed to think so.

Still talking a few more hours of this.

PS the metal hangars constantly sliding down the metal closet rods are drving me crazy and they sound like an injured wookiee.

Yeah getting better!!! I hate those hangers I take the ones we don't use down.

PS the metal hangars constantly sliding down the metal closet rods are drving me crazy and they sound like an injured wookiee.

Oh yeah, it's the scariest sound! I thought it was something a lot worse until I realized where the noise was coming from. I eventually took them all of the rack and laid them down. Also had to cram all my toiletries and things into drawers since they were flying across the room occasionally.

Started to feel a bit like standard airplane turbulence up here one deck 11. We can only tell when it's bad whenever our shower door/enclosure violent swings open and hits the bathroom door. We've given up on putting things back on the vanity/dresser surfaces

Were glad your okay up there on deck 11:D stay safe!

(Sorry this was so long.)

No worries. We hope you're okay. All of us at keyboards are kind of on pins & needles, reading your accounts of the storm.

It is sunny & mild here in California for the Superbowl. We didn't even hear about this storm out here.

Your doing great hun .... I don't know that I would do that well :(

It's almost over then go get those fingers checked ! K :)

Gail

Thank you! I definitely will get them checked out but I'll probably just need to take a bunch of ibuprofen. Thankfully I'm young enough (29) that this wouldn't be as tough for me as others. I worry about some of the elderly on the ship. Plenty of people in scooters on the ship that will have an extremely tough time moving around right now.

Latest update.

Things are a little calmer... bearing in mind that all things are relative.

The pressure is apparently rising which is a good thing..capt seemed to think so.

Still talking a few more hours of this.

Rising pressure means the low is moving away and high is moving in. A rising barometer is indicative of improving weather and it means you're past the peak and on the improving side. Things should gradually improve now. You'll have a great story to tell. We still talk about our 30 foot seas and approx 80 mph winds from our GR cruise in Mar 2014.

Edited by BND

Well the door that sepperates our balcony to next door has finally given up the fight after 2 hours of flapping free and disappeared towards the back of the ship with a huge bang. I hope it didn't cause any other damage.

Thank you! I definitely will get them checked out but I'll probably just need to take a bunch of ibuprofen. Thankfully I'm young enough (29) that this wouldn't be as tough for me as others. I worry about some of the elderly on the ship. Plenty of people in scooters on the ship that will have an extremely tough time moving around right now.

Worrying about others before yourself! May that come back your way ten fold. Hope for you kids yet;) lol

The old lady!

On the 9th deck. Things were pretty intense before, but have calmed down. Now it's just a lot of rocking from side to side. Lots of damage and broken things, all very minor. From my past cruising experience, communication is a bit delayed. We still have no idea if the itinerary will be changed at all. Ship is completely shut down, no dining, nothing. Not a big worry on my account. It's very challenging to stand up and walk. Just have to stay in bed and ride it out. I wish that they would update us more and let us know if any of the itinerary will be altered.

On the 9th deck. Things were pretty intense before, but have calmed down. Now it's just a lot of rocking from side to side. Lots of damage and broken things, all very minor. From my past cruising experience, communication is a bit delayed. We still have no idea if the itinerary will be changed at all. Ship is completely shut down, no dining, nothing. Not a big worry on my account. It's very challenging to stand up and walk. Just have to stay in bed and ride it out. I wish that they would update us more and let us know if any of the itinerary will be altered.

Glad your okay ,I imagine the captain has more things on his mind besides the itinerary! Like damage to cruisers, staff, ship!

Edited by Reader0108598

things must be better if you are not worried about safety but worried about the itinerary , Glad you are doing ok.

Ryan, here is one of your videos you posted on FB :)

Edited by LAFFNVEGAS

Deck 8 port side here. The injured Wookie sound perfectly nails the hangar noise. Our balcony separator also broke free but after flapping for hours it wedged shut. All our toiletries went into the sink to keep them stationary. No food but at least we have Internet and the Super Bowl. Given what's NOT being said, I have a feeling they might skip Canaveral at best, but hopefully not cut the cruise short. After 26+ foot waves and 130-knot winds, who knows...

image.jpg.79b5cbbe351a9da32b73454631465b68.jpg

By no means am I complaining at all. Royal is a great company and regardless of whatever happens I know that we are in great hands. Never once have I been worried. My family is calm. I am on here with a nurse and firefighter and they were helping the elderly walk and get where they need to do. Things like this do happen.

Right now there are longer (a minute or two) periods of (relative) calm, but then there ship will take a couple very DEEP rocks to each side before you'll feel the ship shudder as the captain adjusts the angle again.

It is crazy how fast the winds change direction. Definitely calming, though still scary with all the rapid changes in wind, and I know the captain and team must be solely focused on reacting quickly.

After this, I think they need to take a pitstop at the nearest port to do a full check over the entire ship. There is no way there isn't any damage. Probably mostly cosmetic, but I would feel best if they took the time to check everything out, even if it means missing ports. It's still probably a few hours before it's safe to start moving though.