Who Here Remembers 1990 and the Ships?

cjmx

My sister and I are wracking our brains trying to remember my first cruise celebrating her MBA graduation on Royal.

We left at the end of May, 1990 out of San Juan. The itinerary was going through the Panama Canal with stops in Costa Rica, Cartagena , and Aruba, (almost missed the ship at this stop, first and only time. Boy did I learn a lesson.

But, we cant remember the exact name of the Ship? We had a wonderful time, I especially remember the great staff, officers, and emeralds! As well as a lot of Champagne.

cj

Nordic Empress (now Empress of the seas) sailed three and four night cruises front PR.

Monarch also sailed from San Juan and I think that was 90 or 91

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Edited by oneputt18

i am thinking it was monarch . I know for certain it was a 7 day cruise.

I guess I thought Monarch was built in 1991?

I know we took the cruise in 1990.

<I>Monarch</I> didn't come into service until 1991. In terms of *just* ships in service, without knowing their routes, Royal's fleet in 1990 consisted of:

Song of Norway

Nordic Prince

Sun Viking

Song of America

Sovereign of the Seas

Viking Serenade (entered into RCI service in 1990)

Nordic Empress (entered into RCI service in 1990)

Since you're thinking it was Monarch might it have been Sovereign instead?

Edited by garnetpalmetto

The original three RCI ships already sailing back in that time frame were Song of Norway, Song of America, and Sun Viking. In June, 1990, Nordic Empress was added.

Sovereign of the Seas was launched in 1988, Monarch of the Seas in 1991, and Majesty of the Seas in 1992. When in service at that time, Sovereign did 7 day Eastern, Monarch did 7 day Southern, and Majesty did 7 day Western Caribbean itineraries.

Our first cruise was in 1992 on Sovereign.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Our first cruise was a 7-day Western Caribbean in 1989 on the Song of America. Back when they had the old midnight buffets.

We were on the Song of America in 1988. Western Caribbean. First cruise, fond memories of the midnight buffet. So much has changed since then.

We did quite a few Caribbean cruises between 1988 and 1992 on a number of Royal Caribbean ships.

Can anyone remember cruises that sailed around Freeport and Nassau during mid 1980's? I think they were 4 or 5 days?

We went to Freeport and Nassau a couple of times. around 1990. Can't remember the ship.

Edited by yuvraj

My sister and I are wracking our brains trying to remember my first cruise celebrating her MBA graduation on Royal.

We left at the end of May, 1990 out of San Juan. The itinerary was going through the Panama Canal with stops in Costa Rica, Cartagena , and Aruba, (almost missed the ship at this stop, first and only time. Boy did I learn a lesson.

But, we cant remember the exact name of the Ship? We had a wonderful time, I especially remember the great staff, officers, and emeralds! As well as a lot of Champagne.

cj

Google came back and told me Song of Norway was sailing 7 night trips from San Juan in Jan. 1990. It doesn't show a route and was just a small corner add in a magazine listing the ship,days, departure port, and price.

oh, that is very helpful, i know it wasn't that small of a ship like Nordic.

I do remember the midnight buffet's and lavish ice sculptures.

But, much more reserved and formal in those days. The cruises today are very friendly.

Also, it was not school holiday, yet, so it was a much more older crowd. My sister and I , and maybe three other people were the only adults under 25.

cj

We were on the Song of America in 1988. Western Caribbean. First cruise, fond memories of the midnight buffet. So much has changed since then.

We did quite a few Caribbean cruises between 1988 and 1992 on a number of Royal Caribbean ships.

Our first cruise was on Song of America in June of 1984. It sailed out of Miami and went to San Juan, St. Thomas, and Nassau. It seems I can always remember our first cruise and all the wonder and excitement.

We also did Song of America's last sailing which went to Bermuda before she was sold.

The original three RCI ships already sailing back in that time frame were Song of Norway, Song of America, and Sun Viking. In June, 1990, Nordic Empress was added.

Sovereign of the Seas was launched in 1988, Monarch of the Seas in 1991, and Majesty of the Seas in 1992. When in service at that time, Sovereign did 7 day Eastern, Monarch did 7 day Southern, and Majesty did 7 day Western Caribbean itineraries.

Our first cruise was in 1992 on Sovereign.

Sorry to correct you, but the three original ships were the Song of Norway, Sun Viking and Nordic Prince. They were all sailing from Miami in the early 1970's.

Sorry to correct you, but the three original ships were the Song of Norway, Sun Viking and Nordic Prince. They were all sailing from Miami in the early 1970's.

You are correct and I forgot Nordic Prince as part of the original three. :) But I am also correct in that Song of America was launched for RCI in 1982, but it was not one of the original three as you point out. So there in actuality were five ships in the May 1990 time frame referred to by the OP with the inclusion of Sovereign.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

You are correct and I forgot Nordic Prince as part of the original three. :) But I am also correct in that Song of America was launched for RCI in 1982, but it was not one of the original three as you point out. So there in actuality were five ships in the May 1990 time frame referred to by the OP with the inclusion of Sovereign.

Yes, I loved the Song of America. Could finally go to the Crown Lounge without having to climb up that drafty staircase in the stern. Although not her maiden voyage; I did have the pleasure of sailing on her during her inaugural season.

Yes, I loved the Song of America. Could finally go to the Crown Lounge without having to climb up that drafty staircase in the stern. Although not her maiden voyage; I did have the pleasure of sailing on her during her inaugural season.

We never sailed on any of those original ships as (with my first response) our first was on Sovereign in 1992 - which is when RCI IMO started their quantum leap forward with innovative and "modern" ships!

Something to be said for the those ships that came before I would think, however....:)

We never sailed on any of those original ships as (with my first response) our first was on Sovereign in 1992 - which is when RCI IMO started their quantum leap forward with innovative and "modern" ships!

Something to be said for the those ships that came before I would think, however....:)

They were truly special back then and we had no idea the changes that were coming. I sailed both the Song of America and the Nordic Prince.

It is a hoot to get out the old photos and really see the difference.

Back then you could hear the sea rushing by and dinner was the main event, the shows... well again we were on a ship then, not a floating city.

Edited by Sam.Seattle

They were truly special back then and we had no idea the changes that were coming. I sailed both the Song of America and the Nordic Prince.

It is a hoot to get out the old photos and really see the difference.

Back then you could hear the sea rushing by and dinner was the main event, the shows... well again we were on a ship then, not a floating city.

...and lobster night was something to look forward to, the nightly theme nights in the restaurants with the waiters all dressed up, the "flaming boboloo" desert, frequent ice carvings, the midnight buffet, etc. No specialty restaurants - none needed as the MDR food was very good.

Still love cruising but things certainly have changed...

My first cruise was on Royal Caribbean's Song Of America in May 1983. It was the ships twenty fourth voyage from Miami to Nassau, St Thomas, and San Juan. I traveled by myself and met one hundred singles at the singles get together. There were fifteen males and eighty five females on that trip. I was never so popular in my entire life. That trip way back when got me hooked on cruising. Sailed again on her by myself in May 1984, six months before I met my future wife. The ship was only thirty four thousands tons, a large ship for the year 1983. I can remember the midnight buffet being out of this world. I can also remember dancing in the Can Can Lounge and the bar stewards passing out sandwiches to the guests at 1:30AM. Also remember paying for drinks with cash before they began to use Seapass Cards for that purpose. Those were the days!

Reading these posts brought back fond memories of our 1st cruise. It was on the Nordic Prince our of New York to Bermuda. I gained 5 lbs. that cruise because we went to almost every midnight buffet. Boy did I learn quick to avoid those buffets on future cruises. I still enjoy cruising very much but there is something very special about the 1st one.