Formal - Gala Night; lets stop the pretense

doublebzz

Oooh, that's rather judgmental.

I can only speak for myself, but I love dressing up because I like wearing nice clothes and enjoy seeing other people who look nice. We sailed many times on QE2 with friends. We had our favorite table in one of the bars where we could watch the queue of people going into cocktail parties or going to dinner. We used to joke about it being the "fashion police" table, but we were admiring, not criticizing, what we saw. OK, so I'm shallow and I like fashion. OK, I like the fantasy of a life of elegance and ease. Make of that what you will.

And yes, I appreciate ambiance. Unfortunately, HAL doesn't provide much in the way of ambiance or "sense of occasion," which is why I wouldn't complain if they just went casual. Until they do, we will continue to dress up because we like it and also out of respect for those who do still enjoy a formal evening.

Kathy, we enjoy the same and will continue to dress for our enjoyment and let others do what is comfortable for them.

As soon as you have checked in you will find it at the check inn papers. Short cruises 2 times a week long cruises might be a little bit different.with us the MDR was always dressed up nearly 17 times so we dressed always in tux and evening dresses lika a lot of voyagers on our trip btw we are Dutch and most of the AmericanCanadian and Brittish travellers did the same

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met behulp van Tapatalk

When the cruise director reminds passengers early on the Gala day - "so wear your tuxes and your sparkles" what are you to expect. HAL needs to choose what side of the fence they are on - to some gala means more then formal. I overheard a man telling the assistant DR manager that he did not bring a jacket and would not be dining in the MDR the next gala night. The manager told the gentleman that what ge had on was perfect attire - a short sleeved, collared, plaid shirt and chinos. I guess the MDR ass't manager understands what the CD doesn't.

Give the guys a break. How is this any different than "sparkly" top, black slacks and sensible shoes you see the ladies espousing here. The female version of Dockers and a Polo.

Edited by MrMan

Give the guys a break. How is this any different than "sparkly" top, black slacks and sensible shoes you see the ladies espousing here. The female version of Dockers and a Polo.

Not everyone see that as a galalicious :D worthy outfit. I wear a long dress and my shoes are not sensible either.

Many people need to see others dressed similarly to themselves to ratify their dress decision. Generally these people are insecure in themselves, or are wishing to appear to be something they are not.

While, on the other hand, many people are lazy and need excuses such as "I can't fit dress up clothes in my luggage" or "I dressed up for work for many years" to justify why they can't be bothered to exert any extra effort.

I guess it's a "you say tomato, I say tomahto" observation.

While, on the other hand, many people are lazy and need excuses such as "I can't fit dress up clothes in my luggage" or "I dressed up for work for many years" to justify why they can't be bothered to exert any extra effort.

I guess it's a "you say tomato, I say tomahto" observation.

You believe that someone who doesn't dress up needs an excuse! I'm happy to say I do not dress up. I will not dress up, and HAL won't make me dress up. That's one of the reasons I'm cruising on HAL. No apology here. If the only dress that makes you feel special on a cruise is formal, my condolences. There's always Cunard. Don't go away mad...

How long is your cruise?

Most likely first gala night would be the first sea day, but that isn't a hard and fast rule. It's up to the captain, so it can vary. You won't be sure until you get on the ship. If it's a cruise that repeats week after week, you can ask here after the season starts and see if anyone can tell you what they experienced.

We are on a btb cruise, 19th June to 3rd July Baltic and then 3rd to 10th fjords Norway. I was hoping to know gala nights in advance so I can book specialty restaurants. I definitely won't have galalicious clothing on this trip

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

Yes; my wife and I spent 40 years each wearing 'business clothes'. We now prefer 'Country Club Casual', and load our luggage with active wear and hiking shoes for when we land.....

I don't care what anyone else wears, but I must say I don't see that as an "excuse". Obviously, you don't want to dress up, period. That's fine. I also had to be very dressy every single day of my working life, but I still enjoy dressing up for dinner on a cruise or in a nice restaurant. I respect your not wanting to dress up a bit for formal, or gala, night, but you don't need to trot out that reasoning, really.

For the more liberal minded who like to dress up and who state they can care less what other folks wear, I am curious how they feel when sharing a table with a couple in khakis and Hawaiian shirt or equivalent. Not passing judgement, just interested in responses.

For the more liberal minded who like to dress up and who state they can care less what other folks wear, I am curious how they feel when sharing a table with a couple in khakis and Hawaiian shirt or equivalent. Not passing judgement, just interested in responses.

I ask them how there cruise is so far and hope they don't bring out pictures of their grandchildren, just like anyone else at the table

I would hope that I never become the type of person that judges someone on their clothes rather than their actions. Some of the nicest people we've met on cruises haven't conformed to "formal". What a shame it would be to write those people off

You believe that someone who doesn't dress up needs an excuse! I'm happy to say I do not dress up. I will not dress up, and HAL won't make me dress up. That's one of the reasons I'm cruising on HAL. No apology here. If the only dress that makes you feel special on a cruise is formal, my condolences. There's always Cunard. Don't go away mad...

Thx for admitting that. So many feel they need to offer an excuse. It's refreshing to hear people say they just don't like it. So be it.

We are on a btb cruise, 19th June to 3rd July Baltic and then 3rd to 10th fjords Norway. I was hoping to know gala nights in advance so I can book specialty restaurants. I definitely won't have galalicious clothing on this trip

Sent from my iPod touch using Forums mobile app

I understand your problem. I find it frustrating that I can't find out when formal night is--don't want to miss the rack of lamb in the MDR, so I try to book Pinnacle on a nongala night. It sounds like you want to avoid the MDR on gala nights, but remember, you don't have to wear galalicious clothing now.

It sounds like POA1 has successfully altered the English dictionary. We are now using his word "galaicious" and everybody knows what it means. Soon spell check will stop underlining it.

I use safari and my spelling mistakes are never underlined. It's unfortunate for me since I can't spell.

I use safari and my spelling mistakes are never underlined. It's unfortunate for me since I can't spell.

When you see the word, long press it. Then click on Add to Dictionary. I think that will fix it for you.

There was a time that it was required dress on HAL. There were many cruise lines that did not have a required dress code. Why did people come to HAL when they knew there was a dress code on board?

Well, everyone got their own way. All they did was feel good because they could make up their own excuses. Well, the result.... the general standards have slipped quite a bit. Formal dress used to be very fun evenings.... in the restaurants, the bars and the shows. If you can't be bothered to dress up then HAL has said... well.... give them meatloaf.

I just finished up a long cruise and with formal nights twice a week, twice informal on two and the other were casual. On the casual evenings most gentlemen wore jackets. The formal evenings were splendid and the atmosphere were incredible... great food and wine and a real party feel. If we didn't want to dress.... stay in the cabin. Lido, lounges and bars... all enforced dress code. If you don't like that cruise requirement... stay away. It is a pity that they did not enforce the cress code.

On about the last cruise where I took a suit for formal nights four in our party were dressed. The other three guests at the table were dressed casually-no ties, no jackets. It was a Celebrity cruise.

My thoughts at the time...wish I had not packed my suit etc. all the way down to the Caribbean for a cruise. Did not bother us in the least that they were casual. We very seldom notice or even remember what people are/did wear. We are more interested in them than their clothing.

DW looked around and saw lots of sparkly tops and slacks. This is casual attire in our world. No different than a man wearing slacks and a sweater. That was it for her as well.

So that was the last time either of us bothered with the pretence.

Now that we are retired, travel frequently with carry on only, taking pretend dress up clothes for a few hours is simply not in the cards for us.

Edited by iancal

My goodness, you certainly read a lot into my post that wasn't there!

I said "MANY people" need excuses. Please don't assume that I mean you or any other particular person. Spend any amount of time on the "dress code" threads on CC and you will see excuse after excuse for people not dressing up. I guess they feel they need to offer up an excuse about luggage or prior years of required dress.

Also, where did I ever say that formal dress is the only dress that makes me feel special? That is laughable. There are many, many things that make me feel special and what I choose to wear has nothing to do with it!

Enjoy your casual dress -- no one can make you dress up -- revel in it!

On about the last cruise where I took a suit for formal nights four in our party were dressed. The other three guests at the table were dressed casually-no ties, no jackets. It was a Celebrity cruise.

My thoughts at the time...wish I had not packed my suit etc. all the way down to the Caribbean for a cruise. Did not bother us in the least that they were casual. We very seldom notice or even remember what people are/did wear. We are more interested in them than their clothing.

DW looked around and saw lots of sparkly tops and slacks. This is casual attire in our world. No different than a man wearing slacks and a sweater. That was it for her as well.

So that was the last time either of us bothered with the pretence.

Now that we are retired, travel frequently with carry on only, taking pretend dress up clothes for a few hours is simply not in the cards for us.

So does that mean that anyone that dresses up automatically doesn't care or have any interest in any other person?