Completely new to Princess

Joshuasgurl0409

I am not new to cruising as hubby and I have completed 10 cruises.. all on RCCL, Norwegian and yes, even Carnival. :o

What can you tell me about Princess? What are your favorite things about it over other cruise lines? we are anxiously awaiting our trip on the Regal Princess in a few days!! We booked this cruise just a few weeks ago,,this is the shortest countdown we have ever had, and for that, I'm thankful! :D

Edited by Joshuasgurl0409

Hi! My DH & I did Regal over New Years! BEAUTIFUL ship! My husband Liked how pretty the interior is. We also found always something to do while on Regal.

The promenade doesn't wrap around like the regular Princess Ships, BUT you can walk towards the back of the ship and there are nice loungers there to find some quiet. Both sides have nice chairs to sit on.

International cafe has YUMMY treats! Coffee & tea there is a fee since it is a specialty coffee bar.. MOST of the food is free. Gelato is a Dollar or two?? I haven't tried it.

Alfredos is good! There are personal pizzas, ravioli and other good choices- FREE!!!

Vines, the wine bar is nice- IF you like a glass of wine. You also get some appetizers with your wine

Drinks are cheaper than RCCL. We tend to like the Any Time option on Princess. Main dinning room is very good. DH & I tend to like Princess main Dinning than RCCL. The horizon Court has great meals. The pastry shop is GOOD!! Fresh Waffles in the AM. LOTS of choices- MANY different areas to eat.

I think you will have an enjoyable time!!

Hi! My DH & I did Regal over New Years! BEAUTIFUL ship! My husband Liked how pretty the interior is. We also found always something to do while on Regal.

The promenade doesn't wrap around like the regular Princess Ships, BUT you can walk towards the back of the ship and there are nice loungers there to find some quiet. Both sides have nice chairs to sit on.

International cafe has YUMMY treats! Coffee & tea there is a fee since it is a specialty coffee bar.. MOST of the food is free. Gelato is a Dollar or two?? I haven't tried it.

Alfredos is good! There are personal pizzas, ravioli and other good choices- FREE!!!

Vines, the wine bar is nice- IF you like a glass of wine. You also get some appetizers with your wine

Drinks are cheaper than RCCL. We tend to like the Any Time option on Princess. Main dinning room is very good. DH & I tend to like Princess main Dinning than RCCL. The horizon Court has great meals. The pastry shop is GOOD!! Fresh Waffles in the AM. LOTS of choices- MANY different areas to eat.

I think you will have an enjoyable time!!

Thanks! great to hear!:)

Movies under the Stars is so much fun. Even if I don't want to watch a certain movie, it's still fun to sit up on the deck, covered in a provided blanket, munching on all the available snack foods. They provide popcorn and one night the staff passed out bowls of ice cream.

Movies under the Stars is so much fun. Even if I don't want to watch a certain movie, it's still fun to sit up on the deck, covered in a provided blanket, munching on all the available snack foods. They provide popcorn and one night the staff passed out bowls of ice cream.

How fun!! Looking forward to this!

Each cabin, no matter the category, has a mini-fridge. If you need to do laundry and don't want to pay for the ship's laundry service, there is a self-service laundry room on several decks on each ship (it's a must for us as we're doing longer cruises or we pair a cruise with a land trip...and I don't want to risk high heat drying with my clothes).

Depending on the cruise director, you won't be hearing tons of PAs about bingo and art auctions. And on most of the Princess ships, there's not the stupid (IMO) pool games.

Hubby and I prefer traditional dining, but both t.d. and anytime dining have the same menus and dress code.

The Horizon Court (the buffet) is open from early morning to around 11pm or midnight (I understand that's not the case on all lines). The International Cafe (not an enclosed eatery but a set of display shelves, usually in the Piazza, Plaza deck midships) is a great place for a light meal or yummy snack or dessert. It's open 24/7 and you just go up to the counter and have the worker plate your item. You can eat there in the Piazza or take your food back to your cabin, the pool deck, a lounge, wherever. You can buy a specialty coffee there too. Other than gelato (which isn't available on some ships), there's no cost for food items. I love the chocolate chip cookies.:)

You can find out about all the food venues on your ship on the Princess website as well as deck plans.

My first six cruises were on Carnival, but then we got a chance to take a Princess cruise...and it's been all Princess since then.

Great question for me too OP! Like you, I have been on at least 10 cruises, and most have been on RCCL, a couple on Carnival and one each on NCL and Disney. My very first Princess cruise is coming up, and I can't wait! I am following this thread with much interest..... :)

Edited by live2vayk

While everything stated above is true, there is one thing above all else that suits me to a T! :) That is hanging around the IC waiting for "Fresh Baked Peanut Butter Cookies" to come out. ;) You know they are coming because you can smell the "Heavenly Smell" wafting through the Piazza for several minutes. OMG, I can hardly wait until our next cruise@! :eek: :D

Just Mike

The International Cafe is my favourite place on the ship. Tea and people watching.

Deck 7 (Promenade) is where most of the entertainment venues are and is another great place to people watch. The high-backed chairs across from Princess Live are surprisingly comfortable.

I second the love of the peanut butter cookies. They taste just like my Grans did!

Enjoy!

I am not new to cruising as hubby and I have completed 10 cruises.. all on RCCL, Norwegian and yes, even Carnival. :o

What can you tell me about Princess? What are your favorite things about it over other cruise lines? we are anxiously awaiting our trip on the Regal Princess in a few days!! We booked this cruise just a few weeks ago,,this is the shortest countdown we have ever had, and for that, I'm thankful! :D

In general the average passenger on Princess is a little older and less active than the passengers on on Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean (three lines I have also been on).

The Princess ships are geared more to the adults and less to children when compared to Carnival, NCL and Royal Caribbean. There are no water slides or rock climbing walls. The cabin layout is also different. I just completed my third cruise on Princess and have a review which discusses the differences in the cabins and includes photographs of the cabin. You can see my review by clicking on the link below ...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2316257

Edited by Cuizer2

You can stack OBC! I could never understand why RCCL - which is our most cruised line- is so restrictive. If one owns stock it should be stackable with any other OBC one has. Princess is very generous. Can also stack OBC for military service.

How long have u cruised with RCI? Everything was stackable at one time.. and at that time Princess was not, also princess has not always had military OBC, in the future things will become more restrictive with Princess, it is just a matter of time.

And everyone will cry wolf, like they did when RCI made changes....just sayin'

Edited by land lover

How long have u cruised with RCI? Everything was stackable at one time.. and at that time Princess was not, also princess has not always had military OBC, in the future things will become more restrictive with Princess, it is just a matter of time.

And everyone will cry wolf, like they did when RCI made changes....just sayin'

Our first cruise with RCCL was in about 2008 or 2009. I recall the "uproar" over not being able to stack OBC, but honestly, did not have any OBC to worry about stacking. We are now Platinum on RCCL, and more aware of ways to get OBC (booking through TA etc) in general, but I find I am more savvy with my choices. Right now, for us, Princess appears to be the most generous with OBC. That is not to say it won't change, and if it does, I will reassess. My next Princess cruise has $695 OBC and tips were paid by Princess. That does include OBC from my TA, stockholder and military OBC. Not too shabby! Next cruise will be Princess unless things change. But... the choice is usually the bottom line fare. If I have pay $600+ more for the same cruise on Princess, it zeros out the savings.

Also want to note that moving up the ladder of status is faster on Princess. I have not given too much thought to all levels, but we will complete our 3rd Princess cruise in a few months and then become Ruby. The one perk that has value to me is free upgrade to Premium insurance. I wish Ruby level provided some internet perks though - even a few minutes would be nice. ;)

We love the International Cafe and Piazza area. Great sandwiches for lunch (no charge) and donuts and pastries in the morning (no charge). We always buy a coffee card and you get 15 punches for specialty coffees and unlimited fresh brewed coffee in the International Cafe. Also love the MUTS (Movies Under the Stars) where they cover the lounge chairs and provide blankets for the movie. Usually a waitstaff crew walking around giving out fresh baked chocolate chip cookies. Also complimentary popcorn. The promenade deck will have nice chairs for sitting in the quiet. Princess is much more laid back than RCCL and NCL. If you enjoy relaxing and peace and quiet, you will love Princess. We sure do!

How did you like your first 5 cruises?

Did you really just open a CC account to bash Princess over one phone call?

I kind of had the same thoughts. If I had 5 great cruises and then had one bad phone rep I don't think I would give up on the line. It also agree that it seems strange to see the low post count for someone bashing the line over one phone experience.

Thanks for starting this thread. I booked my first Princess cruise for July - my sister and I are cruising out of Southampton to Scandinavia. Our last cruise was NCL and we didn't like it at all. Glad to hear that Princess is similar to Celebrity - more to our liking. Also our first European cruise so I'm starting to research.

We've cruised 6 times and have the 7th booked for June. All were on Princess. After the first one we knew we had found our fit so haven't looked anywhere else. :)

EXACTLY our experience! They sold us on our 1st cruise to Alaska (& land tour) and we've never been disappointed.

Besides always enjoying each aspect of our cruises (food, service, entertainment, environment, itineraries), we really appreciate the military OBC that is automatically added to our accounts in addition to any other OBC obtained through sales promotions or Future cruise deposits.

I actually called NCL, RCI and Celebrity to check out cruises closer to our home (NY/NJ ports) but in each case, although they advertise military rates are available, the cruises I was interested in NEVER offered the military rate. So I'm not sure how/when or how much any of the other lines offer.

At least with Princess I KNOW we will automatically have OBC and there is never a problem to call and rebook when/if rates change.

I've had some better customer service reps, and some not so much, but never rude - maybe just ill trained. I'd just call back again and get another agent who would make my day with their cheerful demeanor. Sometimes, EVERY one has a 'bad' day! And sometimes, the attitude of the agent is reflective of the attitude of the caller (certainly NOT what's expected, but we're all human.)

OP-I hope you enjoy your time on board! As others have mentioned, don't miss the International Cafe (my vote is for the chocolate chip cookies! They even go around in the afternoon with a cart with cookies and milk!).

If you like 'Starbucks' style specialty coffees, it may be worth purchasing a coffee card where you get 15 punches for specialty coffees and unlimited coffees/teas (which are gratis in the MDR's and HC, but are a different 'grade' - I'm not a drinker of coffee, so I can't clarify the difference).

Also, if there is a Gelato shop (Regal/Royal) or gelato available in the IC, it was 1 punch of the coffee card for 3 scoops. A great value.

If you like, and haven't already done so, request robes in your Personalizer. Saves a pound or 2 in your luggage. Our last time on the Regal, they had new robes that were quite nice - a step up from the waffle ones, but not as heavy as the plush.

We look forward to hearing about your trip! The good - the bad and the ugly!:D

Just think how one feels when they booked and made final payment on a much desired suite and Princess decided to change that cabin, without calling them? Meaning ME. So after I saw the change on my personalizer and finally connected to the correct department, the "supervisor" told me it was an upper management decision and ther was nothing I could no about. Take it or leave it

WHAT??? I certainly would not let on rude person ruin my day......

Were they also charging you for suite?

Passengers on Royal Caribbean ships went through a similar issue when some of the ships went into drydock and additional cabins were added, so that cabin X that used to be on the rear corner was now a side facing cabin. Many unhappy people.

Yes, you are required to take your life vest with you to the muster drill but you are Not to wear them or put them on until instructed to do so.

It's totally inside and doesn't take very long.

They will scan your cruise card when you enter.

Edited by OCruisers