DON't PACK YOUR WINE IN YOUUR SUITCASE !!!!

Calgon1

As most of you out there are aware, you can bring two (750ml) bottles of wine onboard, per cabin.

If you intend to do so, make sure you have them in your carry-on(s). We put two bottles, suitably padded, in a suitcase, which we dropped with the curbside stevedore.

While we were among the first onboard (11:00 am), by sail away (4:00 pm) the bag had not arrived. By early evening (7:00 pm), the bag was still missing.

Checked with our steward. He suggested checking with Guest Services. Bingo! They had the bag, but were holding it because the scanner showed two bottles inside. Laughing, I understood. They needed to determine that it was our two bottles of wine and nod liquor being smuggled aboard.

OK. Opened the bag. Showed them that it was wine and not liquor. They then informed us that the wine was confiscated!

Us - "Huh :confused: "

Security - "We have to seize it. If you had carried it on, that would have bee allowed. But, because it was in a checked bag, it has to be seized :mad:"

Us - "Uh, OK. But we'll get it back at the end of the cruise, right :confused: "

Security - "No. It is forfeit. You don't get it back :mad:"

Bottom Line? Over two bottle s of mediocre wine, Carnival lost two cruisers. We have NEVER experienced this with any other cruise line, including Holland America, Princess, Costa and Cunard (all Carnival Corporation subsidiaries)!

Edited by Calgon1

As most of you out there are aware, you can bring two (750ml) bottles of wine onboard, per cabin.

If you intend to do so, make sure you have them in your carry-on(s). We put two bottles, suitably padded, in a suitcase, which we dropped with the curbside stevedore.

While we were among the first onboard (11:00 am), by sail away (4:00 pm) the bag had not arrived. By early evening (7:00 pm), the bag was still missing.

Checked with our steward. He suggested checking with Guest Services. Bingo! They had the bag, but were holding it because the scanner showed two bottles inside. Laughing, I understood. They needed to determine that it was our two bottles of wine and nod liquor being smuggled aboard.

OK. Opened the bag. Showed them that it was wine and not liquor. They then informed us that the wine was confiscated!

Security - "We have to seize it. If you had carried it on, that would have bee allowed. But, because it was in a checked bag, it has to be seized :mad:"

Us - "Uh, OK. But we'll get it back at the end of the cruise, right :confused: "

Bottom Line? Over two bottle s of mediocre wine, Carnival lost two cruisers. We have NEVER experienced this with any other cruise line, including Holland America, Princess, Costa and Cunard (all Carnival Corporation subsidiaries)!

People that read the terms and conditions know that. Also, who in their right mind would pack bottles of wine in their checked luggage!

That's been the rule for a long time. If you bring wine, you need to carry it on not check it. Not sure why you are upset with Carnival, besides CCL would probably prefer that you spend more money on some of their more expensive

cruise lines.

I agree with Vitamin, smuggle the booze and carry on the wine.

Hi there

I have said it before, most complaint from cruise line customers are from people who are not aware of the rules and then get upset with the cruise line because they inforce them.

For the op...all cruise lines have rules. Try to be aware of them and you won't have the same experience with another company. As you said it's a cheap learning experience.

good luck

Hmmm, Carnival followed their published rules. Cruiser all PO'd because they didn't read through their boarding information and tries to stir up sympathy to their "I'll never sail CCL again claim".

Bye, Felecia!

Wasn't "all PO'd because [we] didn't read" the contract. Agree, careful examination of the contract could have prevented this. Mia culpa.

Wasn't trying to "stir up sympathy" . . . Was simply trying to inform others, so they wouldn't have to 'learn the hard way', as we did.

"I'll never sail CCL again" wasn't a claim. It's a promise.

We gave Carnival a try, found that (for a number of reasons) it isn't a good fit. For those out there who do like it, great. I am honestly happy for you. Vive la difference!

!

Ok then go with one of these...

Princess

Cunard

HAL

Costa

Seaborn

Carnival still gets your money :)

Oh BTW... I see your cruising Connie in Oct. Hope they do a better job with the shows in the showroom. My g-d was it bad news on January 18 sailing.

I see your cruising Connie in Oct. Hope they do a better job with the shows in the showroom. My g-d was it bad news on January 18 sailing.

Thanks for understanding my posting.

RE: The Constellation - Please elaborate on the show(s). Too loud? Too quiet? Bad acoustics? Poor performances? ??????

Why do people get so mad because they get caught not folliwing the rules. All you have to do is look at the FAQ section on the Carnival website and get educated real quick on the dos and dont's of Carnival. Our first cruise I was so curious as to how things worked I was reading rules and procedures every evening for weeks before the cruise.

Technically...

"At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage."

But kudos to Carnival for actually enforcing a policy. I wish they would do this across the fleet for any beverages in checked luggage. Then again, people that slap a luggage tag on a 12-pack of Coke because they do not want the hassle of carrying it around annoy the living crap out of me.

for the OP,

in the Roll call you started, someone posted before you sailed that you need to put wine in the carry on and not in checked luggage. did you not read it? not believe them? seems like you were an active participant of that thread where someone mentioned it

I can sympathize with the OP up to a point because we, too, packed a bottle of wine each in our checked baggage when we flew to a port for a cruise and then forgot to switch it to our carry-on bags. It was a HAL cruise and they delivered our bags to our rooms with a note inside saying the wine had been removed from the suitcase and would be returned on the evening before debarkation.

Were we disappointed? Well, my spouse (the only wine drinker) was.

Were we mad? Only at ourselves for forgetting to move the bottles to the carry-on bags.

Would we be madder if the cruise line had confiscated the bottles permanently? Well, my spouse would have been madder at himself for forgetting. I wasn't drinking it anyway.

Did we decide never to cruise HAL again? Nope, we had an even more incredible cruise with them the following year. (And we remembered to put the wine in the carry-on!)

Calgon, having respect for your input on this and other message boards, and knowing that you realize that you goofed with the whole wine thing, what were the other issues that will keep you from sailing Carnival again? Just curious.

Wasn't "all PO'd because [we] didn't read" the contract. Agree, careful examination of the contract could have prevented this. Mia culpa.

Wasn't trying to "stir up sympathy" . . . Was simply trying to inform others, so they wouldn't have to 'learn the hard way', as we did.

We gave Carnival a try, found that (for a number of reasons) it isn't a good fit. For those out there who do like it, great. I am honestly happy for you. Vive la difference!

Coming from Celebrity and HAL, I can understand your views of Carnival. Chalk it up to learning experience and return to the greener pastures. We did.

Coming from Celebrity and HAL, I can understand your views of Carnival. Chalk it up to learning experience and return to the greener pastures. We did.

You can't compare a fantasy class ship to an upper end Celebrity ship:eek: As for not reading the contract, balony. They've been on CC 15 years and 3500 posts.

Don't blame Carnival because you didn't read the rules or heed the advice that is posted on CC on an almost daily basis.

Other than the luxury lines who don't care how much or what kind of alcohol you bring on board, I don't know of any line that allows you to put wine, liquor, or even soda in a checked bag.

. . .

Then just say that but don't act like it was because your mediocre wine (your words) was confiscated.