DON't PACK YOUR WINE IN YOUUR SUITCASE !!!!

Calgon1

TSA RULES: You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item. Placing these items in the small bag and separating from your carry-on baggage facilitates the screening process. Pack items that are in containers larger than 3.4 ounces or 100 milliliters in checked baggage.

Don't be upset for breaking a rule. I'm not trying to sound rude, but that's been a rule for a while now. Don't give ATL a bad wrap just because of your mistake.

OK, looks like another person that didn't get the sarcasm in the post they are referring to.

/\This.

I've seen many, many posts from smugglers on the Carnival boards flaunting the fact that it would be 'no big deal' if their smuggled wine or liquor was confiscated because they would get it back at the end of the cruise. "So why not smuggle?", they reasoned.

I am glad Carnival is now permanently confiscating smuggled alcohol in order to deter smugglers. Now it will cost those that feel the rules don't apply to them if their contraband is discovered. And word will eventually spread, such as through this very thread. And less people will attempt to smuggle. It's about time, Carnival.:cool:

Amen. :)

It looks like you have been on Cruise Critic long enough to not be surprised by the majority of the responses you have gotten to this post. I also would have been extremely annoyed if they refused to return the wine at all. If wine is allowed, it's allowed. Period. They had to know you don't cruise with Carnival frequently. Just explain the policy, give the wine back, and be done with it.

It seems petty and punitive for no good reason.

The "naughty room" is on board ship, not on land. Carnival no longer has the storage facilities to keep the wine and they are not going to give it to the customer so down the toilet it goes. Be annoyed if you choose but the policy is written in black and white. Choose to flaunt the policy and now it's going to cost people money (their smuggled booze). I applaud Carnival for finally taking this action (what they should have been doing from day 1).

I truly agree.

On everything here.

Well put.

OP I really think you deserved an up to date explanation of why things have changed..an easy detail to miss and as one becomes a seasoned cruiser as well, but not every month..easy detail to miss...

A one time miss of new rules should be allowed or ability to have your wine back at end of trip..not a slap in face like a high school under age kid. Some of us just can't carry on lots either...as our bones move along with time. So we have to make the more expensive decision...but not before we know...and for 2 bottles of wine for a couple on a long cruise..come on.

Why should Carnival create a headache for themselves? How can someone in the naughty room determine who should be excused (for whatever reason) and who shouldn't? How would you feel if you were not excused and the person behind you was? Nope, one policy, enforced on all personnel is the only fair way to do it. The policy is stated on the Carnival site and if people don't want to check the policies (which should be done more so by people who don't normally sail Carnival than those who do) then they suffer the consequences. They should be happy that Carnival doesn't enforce the contract to the letter and deny them boarding for attempting to smuggle.

People that read the terms and conditions know that. Also, who in their right mind would pack bottles of wine in their checked luggage!

If you're flying and don't have a chance to buy wine before you board that's your only option. Once you get to the airport, hotel or the pier you can take it out of your checked bag and put it in your carry-on.

Why should Carnival create a headache for themselves? How can someone in the naughty room determine who should be excused (for whatever reason) and who shouldn't? How would you feel if you were not excused and the person behind you was? Nope, one policy, enforced on all personnel is the only fair way to do it. The policy is stated on the Carnival site and if people don't want to check the policies (which should be done more so by people who don't normally sail Carnival than those who do) then they suffer the consequences. They should be happy that Carnival doesn't enforce the contract to the letter and deny them boarding for attempting to smuggle.

They allow you to carry on two bottles. How are they to know you didn't pack two extra bottles in your suitcase?

They allow you to carry on two bottles. How are they to know you didn't pack two extra bottles in your suitcase?

:confused: Yes, they allow you to carry on 2 bottles in your carry on luggage. No alcohol should be in your luggage. Not sure what point you are trying to make. :confused:

OP had 3500+ posts. I couldn't imagine that the OP didn't see it somewhere on the site... it took me 5 minutes to find that someone talked about it on their roll call. not detective work. I had nothing else going on so I poked around. I need a hobby :p

:)

I desperately need a like button. Thanks for the chuckle.

Bottom Line? Over two bottle s of mediocre wine, Carnival lost two cruisers. We have NEVER experienced this with any other cruise line, including Holland America, Princess, Costa and Cunard (all Carnival Corporation subsidiaries)!

Well, that's Carnival's policy. I'd say 99% of people who are members here know not to pack 2 bottles of wine in your check in. People try to smuggle all kinds of banned items in their checked luggage and are furious to find that it's against policy. I for one don't care if you cruise on Carnival or not, we're all under the same policy, no one is special.

If you're flying and don't have a chance to buy wine before you board that's your only option.

Once you get to the airport, hotel or the pier you can take it out of your checked bag and put it in your carry-on.

One time, WE packed a special bottle of wine for the cruise,

but drank it(had a “happy hour”) the night before in the hotel.

TSA only confiscated the misplaced corkscrew.:p

Edited by $hip$hape

.......to all those with so little sympathy

What is the difference to the cruise line wether the wine is in the carry on or hold case?

Also having just returned from 20th cruise with RCI and as. Fly cruise traveler I always pack the wine in the hold case and have never had a problem

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do get your point and basically agree...always or often I understand both sides. But like all of us I get ohh..little upset..not big upset when folks who travel a while but maybe not super often or say 2 times a year or just enough to have rules change and get their rhythms shocked by changes..it happens..we are human..and don't get a break.

I don't know these folks at all, but noticed they were helpers here and have a history and they even tried to say why this upset them but tried not to put down the whole line or people who love Carnival. As things stack up for different reasons things are the final straw. There is a certain something with middle age too...Just a little respect and understanding darn it.

Don't think OP deserved not to have his side understood. Do like that they are cracking down on smuggling..not good for so many reasons.

Personally, I do like 2 mini bottles of something like a good Bourbon and Amaretto for eve and coffee and first drink there and oddly home because i don't drink much otherwise anymore...2 airplane bottles each and buy my wine in Main and let them hold night to night..LOVED that and will be fixed next time due to that and will NOT sneak my minis. I doubt I will carrey any on as well..headache and did last time..one bottle and the bottle I got free at steakhouse first night was very nice...on second

Carnival cruise to keep beverage amount down. I always think budget too..for sanity some who need a break from this life can on Carnival the most affordably and it is still special.

I like following rules, understand a reason for them and fairness to all..I like this rule more for 9/11 issues...suppose they can be "bad" maybe closer inspection is helping them too...for that..not sure.. We do need to review rules darn near every time now it seems. I just hate the travel and what I need to carrey and they plowing through of it all on the plane..I understand the safety on plane and pier...a love hate two sided thing..like life..And sometimes it is very grey.

Edited by sjn911

Please also note I had said this....:). Peace Out...and understanding to Calgon1..it just gets crazy and detailed these days..beyond belief but still worth it...keep enjoying...travel and any way you can "legally"...LOL..

Agree ...in the end and final equation...we all have to recheck rules because they change often...and you do have to laugh.

What is the difference to the cruise line wether the wine is in the carry on or hold case?

Also having just returned from 20th cruise with RCI and as. Fly cruise traveler I always pack the wine in the hold case and have never had a problem

The cruise line does not want to be held responsible for damage that your bottle of wine in your suitcase may cause to others property.

I do get your point and basically agree...always or often I understand both sides. But like all of us I get ohh..little upset..not big upset when folks who travel a while but maybe not super often or say 2 times a year or just enough to have rules change and get their rhythms shocked by changes..it happens..we are human..and don't get a break.

I don't know these folks at all, but noticed they were helpers here and have a history and they even tried to say why this upset them but tried not to put down the whole line or people who love Carnival. As things stack up for different reasons things are the final straw. There is a certain something with middle age too...Just a little respect and understanding darn it.

Don't think OP deserved not to have his side understood. Do like that they are cracking down on smuggling..not good for so many reasons.

Personally, I do like 2 mini bottles of something like a good Bourbon and Amaretto for eve and coffee and first drink there and oddly home because i don't drink much otherwise anymore...2 airplane bottles each and buy my wine in Main and let them hold night to night..LOVED that and will be fixed next time due to that and will NOT sneak my minis. I doubt I will carrey any on as well..headache and did last time..one bottle and the bottle I got free at steakhouse first night was very nice...on second

Carnival cruise to keep beverage amount down. I always think budget too..for sanity some who need a break from this life can on Carnival the most affordably and it is still special.

I like following rules, understand a reason for them and fairness to all..I like this rule more for 9/11 issues...suppose they can be "bad" maybe closer inspection is helping them too...for that..not sure.. We do need to review rules darn near every time now it seems. I just hate the travel and what I need to carrey and they plowing through of it all on the plane..I understand the safety on plane and pier...a love hate two sided thing..like life..And sometimes it is very grey.

Actually, nothing is gray in life except for people who forcefully try to make something that is in black and white twist it into something gray (usually for their own benefit).

As for the reason the OP is getting so much flack (IMO) is not because they came here with a PSA "Don't pack your wine in your suitcase" (which is a very good PSA) but because they added "and Carnival lost two cruisers over this and no other cruise line cares". Sounds like a 5 year old having a tantrum. Why would anyone here care if someone else does or doesn't sail a particular line? And I don't know of ANY line that does allow people to put alcohol in their suitcase.....it's just not a bright thing to do. Just because some people get away with it on Carnival and other lines doesn't make it that line's policy to be okay.

And what about bottles of soda, water,shampoo etc?

Try again

Soda doesn't go into you checked baggage either. :rolleyes: Try again.

Shampoo usually doesn't stain......how many commercials have you seen with some woman moaning about how she couldn't get a shampoo stain out of her carpet. ;) Not to mention wine is usually in glass bottles and shampoo is in plastic bottles.

Edited by TaDaaa!

while breakage might be part of the reason they don't want it in the luggage, a more reasonable reason might be because they will not be able to tell if the wine in the luggage is smuggled. if they are allowed 2 bottles of wine and they take it in their carry on, how would carnival know that the 2 bottles in the luggage are their only 2 or if this was now 4 bottles (2 carry on and 2 in luggage).

its really simple to just follow the procedure of carrying wine in the carry on and not in your luggage

What happens on RCI has nothing to do with this.

As most of you out there are aware, you can bring two (750ml) bottles of wine onboard, per cabin.

If you intend to do so, make sure you have them in your carry-on(s). We put two bottles, suitably padded, in a suitcase, which we dropped with the curbside stevedore.

While we were among the first onboard (11:00 am), by sail away (4:00 pm) the bag had not arrived. By early evening (7:00 pm), the bag was still missing.

Checked with our steward. He suggested checking with Guest Services. Bingo! They had the bag, but were holding it because the scanner showed two bottles inside. Laughing, I understood. They needed to determine that it was our two bottles of wine and nod liquor being smuggled aboard.

OK. Opened the bag. Showed them that it was wine and not liquor. They then informed us that the wine was confiscated!

Us - "Huh :confused: "

Security - "We have to seize it. If you had carried it on, that would have bee allowed. But, because it was in a checked bag, it has to be seized :mad:"

Us - "Uh, OK. But we'll get it back at the end of the cruise, right :confused: "

Security - "No. It is forfeit. You don't get it back :mad:"

Bottom Line? Over two bottle s of mediocre wine, Carnival lost two cruisers. We have NEVER experienced this with any other cruise line, including Holland America, Princess, Costa and Cunard (all Carnival Corporation subsidiaries)!

That's why you read the rules before doing something like this. At the very least, pay attention on these boards. It has been covered multiple times, including the fact that it is 1 bottle per adult, not 2 bottles per cabin.

Actually, nothing is gray in life except for people who forcefully try to make something that is in black and white twist it into something gray (usually for their own benefit).

As for the reason the OP is getting so much flack (IMO) is not because they came here with a PSA "Don't pack your wine in your suitcase" (which is a very good PSA) but because they added "and Carnival lost two cruisers over this and no other cruise line cares". Sounds like a 5 year old having a tantrum. Why would anyone here care if someone else does or doesn't sail a particular line? And I don't know of ANY line that does allow people to put alcohol in their suitcase.....it's just not a bright thing to do. Just because some people get away with it on Carnival and other lines doesn't make it that line's policy to be okay.

Agree to disagree,,,funny thing is I basically agree with rule and think rules are important....and am a rule follower and fine line type...rather too "straight arrow"..much more often I am like your stance. I hate these kind of arguments too....often people are not seeing full picture and hard to really define/refine your point. People rightfully or even somewhat not rightfully ( in the eyes of the inquirer or inquired) get to get steamed about something like this..later see the mostly good to new rule and get over it. This person has helped many people here and is a CC founder so to speak...and just packed his allowed wine in a now not allowed way....I say first time pass..ding them second time nope have not learned the new rule.

But enough..this is out of proportion to "transgression" issue...IMHO...respectfully. Now these whole bars people smuggle, even being able to put away the legal 16 or whatever a day, there is a real alcoholic problem with our society IMHO..having buried an B-in-law when his kids were 2 and 5. Almost 20 years ago now.

Edited by sjn911

Agree to disagree,,,funny thing is I basically agree with rule and think rules are important....and am a rule follower and fine line type...rather too "straight arrow"..much more often I am like your stance. I hate these kind of arguments too....often people are not seeing full picture and hard to really define/refine your point. People rightfully or even somewhat not rightfully ( in the eyes of the inquirer or inquired) get to get steamed about something like this..later see the mostly good to new rule and get over it. This person has helped many people here and is a CC founder so to speak...and just packed his allowed wine in a now not allowed way....I say first time pass..ding them second time nope have not learned the new rule.

But enough..this is out of proportion to "transgression" issue...IMHO...respectfully. Now these whole bars people smuggle, even being able to put away the legal 16 or whatever a day, there is a real alcoholic problem with our society IMHO..having buried an B-in-law when his kids were 2 and 5. Almost 20 years ago now.

If the OP has the experience you say they have in here, there is no way in the world they should have made this mistake, both in not knowing the rule and how they posted about it.