Hey I made it in Cruise travel magazine!

S.S.Oceanlover

I read an article in Cruise Travel magazines February edition about travel insurance that I didn't agree with.

I wrote in to them via their website but never got any kind of response.I just received my June edition and they printed my letter with a rebuttal on page 14.

When do I get my check? icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

1a.jpg

Caribbean Princess Eastern Caribbean cruise page

Congrats! I'll look for my copy in my mailbox!

Taters icon_biggrin.gif

Song of Norway, 1971

Imagination, 1/1996

Imagination, 1/1998

Song of America, 1/1999

Jubilee, 1/2000

Inspiration, 1/2001

Enchantment of the Seas, 11/2002 - Back to back!

Carnival Conquest, 9/2003

Island Princess, 12/2004

Is that Post Office stealing my magazine again? Either I don't get them or I get 2. I am anxious to read your letter. Your writings are quite enjoyable.

A Smile is just a little curve that sets a lot of things Straight.

Fair Winds and Following Seas!

Bill-

I read my magazine last night and thought that name looked familiar icon_smile.gif

Congrats-

Welcome to my world of causing trouble icon_wink.gif

Bernie

"so many cruises, so little vacation time"

Diamond Princess - September 2004

Grand Princess - March 2003

Carnival Pride - June 2002

Carnival Victory - June 2001

Bill,

I don't subscribe so I didn't read your article. That's quite an honor to be published because they must get thousands of letters and to have yours picked is terrific. Hope you're going to Philly C.C. get together in June. Bring the article with you because I have a rather strong opinion about travel insurance and would like to read your views.

Bernie, a Philadelphian, why not join the Philly Cruise Critic group for our 3rd meeting in June. It's posted on the Carnival board.

Kellyann

I am looking forward to seeing your article in the travel magazine. I usually don't get mine until after the second or third of the month. hope I get it before I leave on my cruise.

5/6 Regal Princess/ San Francisco

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;5;6;15;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800

Kellyann,

As of now we plan on being there. Hope to see you and Ron and the rest of the gang June 5th.

Yes Bernie that's great idea. Why don't you and Ed get your butts there next time.

It's not an article I got published just a short letter responding to an article in which the author stated that you had to buy cruise insurance the day you buy your cruise.

I still don't agree with his rebuttal but hey that's just me.

Bill

1a.jpg

Dear Bill,

Would you be good enough to post your article, along with the critique, here on this thread? I just don't feel like wrestling Daryl (my main Post Office man) for my copy. Thank you so much!

Di,

In the February article the author, Don G Campbell stated in his article about travel insurance that you have to buy it at the time you book your travel and can't go back in a few weeks and buy it.

This was my letter to CruiseTravel:

In the "Travel Insurance" article in the february 2004 Cruise Travel, author Don G. Campbell states several times that "decisions about travel insurance must be made when you purchase your cruise. You can't buy a cruise, then decide days or weeks later that you need travel insurance."

This information is not correct. You can buy travel insurance from the day you purchase your cruise up until the day you are leaving. Of coursethis will not cover pre existing medical conditions, but it will cover everything else. I know this because I have done it on a couple of occasions.

You can buy these policies from numerous companies including Travelex, Access America, and Travel Guard to name a few. I just wanted to more fully inform your readers about these insurance options.

end of my reply~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don G. Campbell responds:

Mr.Coleman is right to a point. Some policies can be bought on short notice. The problem comes when filing a claim. Let's say departure is coming up on Sunday, you buy the policy on friday then cancel on saturday. The claims department will want documents showing the cause of the claim, including items that indicate the dates of relevant events that led up to the claim. I know this from personal experience last year. They would be looking to see if the buyer knew he or she was about to cancel when the insurance was purchased. Still, that policy would protect a traveler who left on the trip then had to cancel for a reason that developed after departure.

Every trip I've bought in recent years came with an offer for insurance that had to be accepted or declined at the time of purchase. Policies that can be purchased on short notice will not cover some events, such as cancellations due to pre existing conditions (medical and others) and the bankruptcy of providers among others. So while some policies can be bought after the trip has been purchased, a traveler typically has more insurance providers to select from, better coverage, and an easier time filing a claim if this detail is handled early.

end of Mr. Campbells reply~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Now I have writers cramp, or would that be typers cramp? icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

1a.jpg

Dear Bill,

Thanks so much for the Letter. I agree with You. Mr. Campbell doesn't know what he is talking about. He probably isn't even smart enough to read CruiseCritic. So we know more than he does. I always buy my insurance with the cruise but sometimes wait (and I shouldn't) to additionally cover my pre- and post-hotels, tours, and expenses. You have to make a good estimate of these costs when you haven't booked hotels, cars, tours, etc. yet. Insurance is a good investment, for me, I believe. You are a very good letter writer and I see why you were chosen.

Hey, Bill-

In case you didn't notice on the Pride, Ed is not as outgoing as I am icon_wink.gif The thought of a group anything is just not for him, whereas I am willing to try just about anything in a group icon_wink.gif

Congrats again on the letter and on your CP website which seems to be getting lots of kudos as well. Our own Cruise Critic media mogul in the making icon_smile.gif

Bernie

"so many cruises, so little vacation time"

Diamond Princess - September 2004

Grand Princess - March 2003

Carnival Pride - June 2002

Carnival Victory - June 2001

Went to Barnes & Noble today and they still have April out on the shelves, no June. icon_frown.gif

Maybe soon, I'll get to see.

Nice article about Victoria in April though and it is our first port of call. (plus a cool subscription discount was on the floor in front of the rack. 50% off.)

the stanger

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=006400&cdt=2004;6;25;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

until our first cruise! Regal Princess to Alaska.

Archived