Quest drydock being extended by 3 days

BBMacLaird

Our president, Mr Pimentel, and senior executives have decided it best to extend the upcoming Quest drydock by three additional days to ensure a smooth drydock.

This means the voyage immediately prior, beginning March 17, 2016, is being shortened by three days. The overnight call to Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam is being eliminated.

Letters with the announcement are going out to the booked guests and your travel professionals as I write.

Host Andy and I will continue to post throughout the day as I know more.

Thank you for the update Bonnie. I think this is a prudent call by Mr Pimentel, & Azamara's management team. I'm sure there will be some disappoinment for those on the March 17th sailing, but it's best that Quest be ready to go Post Drydock.

I hope that a new gangway is on its way to the dry dock facility as we type! Great call on Azamara's part. I remember the first cruise of the Journey she was still not ready when she started embarking passengers with the pool deck and balcony railings still drying. Best to add days up front.

Thank you for the update Bonnie. I think this is a prudent call by Mr Pimentel, & Azamara's management team. I'm sure there will be some disappointment for those on the March 17th sailing, but it's best that Quest be ready to go Post Drydock.

Well, "best" would be having scheduled everything properly in the first place, not changing the drydock from September to April, then waiting until 3 weeks out to mess with the schedule.:p It seems that the RCCL family (I don't know about other lines) are being overly optimistic with their drydock schedules, leaving cabins unfinished and amenities incomplete. RCI did the same thing with Liberty in her recent drydock. So, although I agree in theory with the call, it does have a direct impact on my day.

We are on the 3/17 cruise and I've been anticipating this since you started your brilliant blog on Journey. The shortening of the cruise means that we will miss Ho Chi Minh City, which will disappoint my manicurist more than me, since she's from there and was hoping for pictures. We also lose our overnight onboard in Singapore.

But the good far outweighs the bad for us - we will now have 4 days and nights to explore Singapore instead of a 2:00pm arrival, departing the ship at 6:00am the next day, one night in a hotel and an early flight home.

Compensation is as follows:

1. A pro-rata refund of 3 nights' of the cruise fare;

2. $500 to spend onboard (premium wines, yippee!:D);

3. A 20% future cruise credit (based on the fare paid for this one);

4. 25% off a future cruise if we book while onboard the current cruise (combinable with the 20% FCC);

5. $500 for any expenses incurred in changing hotel or flight reservations; or

The option to cancel for a full refund.

They have secured preferred pricing at the Pan Pacific Singapore for those who wish to spend a couple of extra nights there.

I'd say that's fair compensation, wouldn't you?:)

Edited by critterchick

We are on the following cruise from Dubai and have been watching for developments with the dry dock. I feel sorry the Quest passengers post dry dock as the planning for the refurb of both ships has poorly planned. The Compensation appears to be adequate and should appeal to most passengers, however the suits at RCI are not the ones who are having their cruise disrupted.

Do you think the accident in NZ has anything to do with the need for extra time in dry-dock?

Really doubt that Jazz. The props are under the ship and can and will be worked concurrently with the above the waterline work which in the last dry dock took the most time and could not be completed in the time allowed.

Also have to assume some lessons learned from the Journey and even with those, the time originally planned is not sufficient for the complete job.

Hopefully all of the containers will arrive in Singapore well before the beginning of the dry dock.

Every major project provides "Lessons learned" and this is no exception. As a project manager on complex development projects in my past life, I can identify some of the lessons that were learned and steps to come closer to completion by the time the ship pulls out of the dock yard (projects meet all goals far less than 100% of the time).

• Recognition that too little time was allowed so added 3 days
  • Major effort to have suppliers meet delivery date (invoking penalties if contract allows it, and many contracts of this type have them). The vendors involved can also be threatened with bad publicity if they fail again creating loss of future work with other cruise lines.
  • Adding more workers. This could be a challenge due to the skill sets needed and the sequential nature of a lot of the work. But I would bet there will be more bodies on board.
  • Move some non-passenger-invasive work to begin before arrival at dry dock. Probably done on Journey but the estimates were obviously overly optimistic so they might try to move more work.

I would be surprised if adding the 3 days is all that Azamara is doing differently. There is also the concept that the workers in Singapore might not be so influenced by the concept of "island time". :D

Before anyone flames me for that, I am kidding. I am very impressed with all that was accomplished in two weeks.

Every major project provides "Lessons learned" and this is no exception. As a project manager on complex development projects in my past life, I can identify some of the lessons that were learned and steps to come closer to completion by the time the ship pulls out of the dock yard (projects meet all goals far less than 100% of the time).

• Recognition that too little time was allowed so added 3 days
  • Major effort to have suppliers meet delivery date (invoking penalties if contract allows it, and many contracts of this type have them). The vendors involved can also be threatened with bad publicity if they fail again creating loss of future work with other cruise lines.
  • Adding more workers. This could be a challenge due to the skill sets needed and the sequential nature of a lot of the work. But I would bet there will be more bodies on board.
  • Move some non-passenger-invasive work to begin before arrival at dry dock. Probably done on Journey but the estimates were obviously overly optimistic so they might try to move more work.

I would be surprised if adding the 3 days is all that Azamara is doing differently. There is also the concept that the workers in Singapore might not be so influenced by the concept of "island time". :D

Before anyone flames me for that, I am kidding. I am very impressed with all that was accomplished in two weeks.

The operative term for any human endeavor to conform with "the plan" was best described by Carl von Clausewitz in defining the term "Friction":

"Everything is...very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end producing a kind of friction that is inconceivable unless one has experienced (events). Countless minor incidents - the kind you can never really forsee - combine to lower the general level of performance, so that one always fall far short of the intended goal. (one) must know friction exists and make plans to counter it...."

Three more days in drydock - Brilliant!

Edited by Zouave

The odd thing is that the added days are before the scheduled beginning. That means supplies not only have to be on time, but early. It would have seemed more logical to extend the end of the drydock -- but that probably didn't work as well with the planned itineraries.

I would bet money that a good portion of the materials were scheduled to be there at least 3-5 days before the original start and the suppliers are being pushed hard to accelerate delivery. If nothing else, the work on removing what has to go can start early and that has to be a big help.

Azamara is stacking the odds in their favor of a much better outcome than the Journey even if they are doing nothing different except starting early. Imagine how much of the stuff that was being completed around passengers on the Journey could have been done in 3 extra days at the dry dock facility. And if they catch any kind of break with no really bad weather like they had for the Journey, that can only help a little more.

The operative term for any human endeavor to conform with "the plan" was best described by Carl von Clausewitz in defining the term "Friction":

"Everything is...very simple, but the simplest thing is difficult. The difficulties accumulate and end producing a kind of friction that is inconceivable unless one has experienced (events). Countless minor incidents - the kind you can never really forsee - combine to lower the general level of performance, so that one always fall far short of the intended goal. (one) must know friction exists and make plans to counter it...."

Three more days in drydock - Brilliant!

I really liked the everything is very simple quote above. It puts things in perspective.

In addtion, there's also factors like the unknown, such as weather. Had Journey not had several days of extremely bad weather, the Drydock almost surely would had a better outcome.

Do you think the accident in NZ has anything to do with the need for extra time in dry-dock?

Hi Host Jazzbeau,

I have nothing to confirm this... but I strongly believe the incident has nothing to do with this decision. I think it's more a matter of things they learned from the Journey Drydock, and Azamara management doing what they can to make sure things are smoother - perhaps giving them a bit more cushion for any delays and/or bad weather - which created some issues on the JR drydock.

There's a lot to like about Azamara. They have been responsive all the way through these refurbishments. They listened to their guest about the Sunset Bar; they're being prudent after the difficulties with the Journey RF and they're providing, quite early, guests on 17/3 the option of cancelling for full refund or generous compensation for their truncated cruise. Excellent customer service in my view. Adding 3 days at the end of dry dock could have been problematic as the next cruise has a lot of days at sea, so the 3 days would likely come off destinations and, as a result, would be a pretty ordinary itinerary.

Tony

There's a lot to like about Azamara. They have been responsive all the way through these refurbishments. They listened to their guest about the Sunset Bar; they're being prudent after the difficulties with the Journey RF and they're providing, quite early, guests on 17/3 the option of cancelling for full refund or generous compensation for their truncated cruise. Excellent customer service in my view. Adding 3 days at the end of dry dock could have been problematic as the next cruise has a lot of days at sea, so the 3 days would likely come off destinations and, as a result, would be a pretty ordinary itinerary.

Tony

Totally agree. Disappointing for those on the affected cruise, but very well managed by Azamara.

Phil

I really liked the everything is very simple quote above. It puts things in perspective.

In addtion, there's also factors like the unknown, such as weather. Had Journey not had several days of extremely bad weather, the Drydock almost surely would had a better outcome.

Andy - the military plans for such events all the time. It has an well known result..."Hurry up and wait."

Tony

Not too worried about the 3-day reduction - an extra 3 days in Singapore will be OK, but we leave this Sunday(28th Feb) as we are booked on the preceding cruise(Bali to Osaka) and would have liked to have all our bookings finalised before we leave.

I have tried to phone Azamara regarding the "preferential rates" that they have secured at a hotel in Singapore, but could not get through. So I sent an email yesterday, but so far no reply. Their advices - sent to us by email yesterday - do not give the name of the hotel, nor the cost, or any detail on how to book it, or how and when payment is to be made.

If anyone has these details could you please let us know on this message board.

John.

We've taken a SE Asia cruise (on Az!) & can only imagine how disappointed cruisers will be to miss Saigon, but as the city is not as charming as Hanoi (which has its own set of problems), I hope you'll be cheered by having that extra time in Singapore, which is a MOST interesting city.

You can arrange to see almost anything on your own & if you know where you want to go cabs are plentiful & cheap. Do a harbor cruise as this is a great introduction to the city, & definitely go to the botanical garden for half a day. The orchid garden is the largest outdoor orchid display in the world & is magnificent. Plan too to spend an afternoon at Raffles having lunch & touring that beautiful hotel. There is some very good shopping right there at the hotel. There is a sound & light show every night that is very impressive. The Singapore Museum is worth a visit, too.

In all, having spent some time in both cities I'd gladly swap extra time in Singapore for Saigon & hope everyone on board enjoys it as much as we did.

Tony

The three days came off our overnight stay in Saigon, which was also the venue for our Azamazing Evening event. I wonder if they will provide another one?

Not too worried about the 3-day reduction - an extra 3 days in Singapore will be OK, but we leave this Sunday(28th Feb) as we are booked on the preceding cruise(Bali to Osaka) and would have liked to have all our bookings finalised before we leave.

I have tried to phone Azamara regarding the "preferential rates" that they have secured at a hotel in Singapore, but could not get through. So I sent an email yesterday, but so far no reply. Their advices - sent to us by email yesterday - do not give the name of the hotel, nor the cost, or any detail on how to book it, or how and when payment is to be made.

If anyone has these details could you please let us know on this message board.

John.

Pan Pacific Singapore. Three nights for $299pp which includes daily breakfast and transfer from the pier to the hotel. We are attempting to add a fourth night since we don't want to change hotels, but I think I will do that independently, since I found a similar price online, and ask when we check in that they note the second reservation and let us stay in the same room.

As for payment, it's now on our invoice and last night I got an "agency balance due" letter asking for payment by November 15, 2015 (the original final payment date). The rep told me that they will let me know tomorrow if they have booked the fourth night, but if I don't hear anything, I'm going to pay the outstanding balance so the computer doesn't cancel the booking.:eek: