Input wanted

pkay414

Hi:) I am taking my first River Cruise in April:) and am really looking

forward to it.

I have been on many, many ocean cruises and I know this will be way,

WAY different but I am excited:D

I am going on AMA Waterways.....they were highly recommended to me.

This cruise is called "TULIP TIME"...sailing out of Amsterdam....going all

around the Netherlands and Belgium......I am down to less than 60

days.......closer to the 30 day mark actually;)

Lois, this is on our bucket list. Would appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

Lois, this is on our bucket list. Would appreciate you sharing your thoughts with us.

I will be happy to share my thoughts upon my return:)

You are so right! We are just back from Italy and booked Premium with Air France. We did upgrades at check in to business in both directions. It has been a few years since we flew business but wow, it sure makes a huge difference!

I just booked Lufthansa in Business for our AMA cruise in November. Snagged an incredible price using my Amex Platinum 2 for 1 airline partner program. It does not work often but wow, I saved thousands and we are flying business on Lufthansa R/T for 500 more per person than Premium - and that was premium on the long haul only with Lufthansa! They are horrible in economy (worst seats ever) and I am happy to read that you love them in business.

I do love Air France in business for the wine and cheese alone but they were 2400 each more than Lufthansa for this trip.

In April we are flying Iberia to Bordeaux in business. Another good deal but not as awesome as my Lufthansa price!:D

I hope LH comes through for you! They are my airline of choice and the few times I've been caught up in their job actions, they've always taken care of everything before I even asked! To me, their customer service is outstanding....and on the flights out of NYC business is upstairs so you really have loads of room.

We had a cruise booked on Viking and had to cancel almost a year before the trip. I didn't like that 100% of the price was due many months in advance plus they charged us a cancellation fee. Some of our friends sailed on Viking and said it was ok, not outstanding, plus their french balcony cabins were small & their ships did not have pools or exercise equipment.

In doing research, we found Emerald Cruise lines, a subsidarary of Scenic formed in 2014 that had bigger cabins, more inclusive, less money and more amenities than Viking. Their ships are all new. We're trying Emerald this summer as our 1st river cruise after many ocean cruises on luxury, near luxury and mid market lines.

Edited by dabear

I hope LH comes through for you! They are my airline of choice and the few times I've been caught up in their job actions, they've always taken care of everything before I even asked! To me, their customer service is outstanding...
We were booked on Lufthansa business class on 11 Nov 2015 from IAD-FRA, connecting to ZA (South African) FRA-JHB. LH NEVER notified us that their flight was not flying due to a job action. We only found out when we tried to check in on-line 24 hours in advance. We tried many times and were never able to get LH on the phone; we finally called UA as we were on a UA issued FF ticket. UA was able to accommodate us on a UA flight (but not in business and no refund of mileage) to FRA where we could still make our connection to our ZA flight (at this point we were just grateful to get to FRA in time to make our ZA flight). Then we tried to check in for these flights and LH had now cancelled our ZA flight (it turned out they rebooked us 24 hours later going on AA connecting to ZA at LHR; 24 hours later did NOT meet our needs). We tried to reclaim our ZA FRA-JHB seats, but they were now no longer available. After 6 (six) hours on the phone with UA we were finally able to get business seats on UA IAD-GRU [sao Paulo] connecting to business in ZA GRU-JHB arriving almost on schedule. UA came through for us. LH did nothing but screw up our schedule multiple times, and NEVER notified us of anything. Not a happy experience.

Thom

There seems to be far more airline strikes in Europe than in the USA. I know that Delta was formerly not unionized, but after merging with Northwest, picked up a union. However, I don't think the entire line is union.

We prefer Delta, but have flown Air France a couple of times and obtained Delta flyer miles. Perhaps this is a good reason to avoid European airlines, if possible.

I read an article recently that airlines are starting to have a problem hiring pilots, since the Government strengthened the requirement for flying experience. This might result in more strikes for US airlines in the future.

We were booked on Lufthansa business class on 11 Nov 2015 from IAD-FRA, connecting to ZA (South African) FRA-JHB. LH NEVER notified us that their flight was not flying due to a job action. We only found out when we tried to check in on-line 24 hours in advance. We tried many times and were never able to get LH on the phone; we finally called UA as we were on a UA issued FF ticket. UA was able to accommodate us on a UA flight (but not in business and no refund of mileage) to FRA where we could still make our connection to our ZA flight (at this point we were just grateful to get to FRA in time to make our ZA flight). Then we tried to check in for these flights and LH had now cancelled our ZA flight (it turned out they rebooked us 24 hours later going on AA connecting to ZA at LHR; 24 hours later did NOT meet our needs). We tried to reclaim our ZA FRA-JHB seats, but they were now no longer available. After 6 (six) hours on the phone with UA we were finally able to get business seats on UA IAD-GRU [sao Paulo] connecting to business in ZA GRU-JHB arriving almost on schedule. UA came through for us. LH did nothing but screw up our schedule multiple times, and NEVER notified us of anything. Not a happy experience.

Thom

I think it's safe to say that for every good experience somewhere there's a bad one. I know people who love Delta and I've had nothing BUT bad experiences with them. No matter how good a business wants to be/tries to be/is....the law of averages dictates that someday, somewhere they're going to get it wrong and somebody else will suffer for it. I'm sorry it happened to you this time....could be me next time. I will say LH never notified us ahead of time either. We didn't actually find out until we got to airport in St. Petersburg, but they had rebooked everyone heading to US and made arrangements for those who had to stay over night in Frankfort before the plane landed in Germany.

We were caught up in the same job action as TravelerThom and fortunately had exactly the opposite experience as he. The switch in airlines went quite smoothly for usIn fact, the flights were at better times. The only issue was that we were on a 787 with BA, not the A320 as scheduled.

For TAs in and out of PHL, my air line preferences (economy) are in order LH, AF, and BA. US was a distant 4th but of course they aren't anymore. We have two trips on the successor, AA; unfortunately they use the 787 as did US, but they could surpass BA in service.

Edited by CPT Trips

For TAs in and out of PHL, my air line preferences (economy) are in order LH, AF, and BA. US was a distant 4th but of course they aren't anymore. We have two trips on the successor, AA; unfortunately they use the 787 as did US, but they could surpass BA in service.

We have very limited options from here that do not require a double connection. LH is our last choice in Economy as their seating was the most uncomfortable we have ever experienced. Their PE looks reasonable and prices well with AMA.

We are on BA for our return flights next month from Bordeaux as they offered a single connection and the best pricing. We are flying with them again on AA codeshares in October. Hoping for a good experience.

AF is our first choice but they discontinued their one daily non stop to CDG from our home airport and now we have to get to Atlanta to fly with them. Love their business class and their PE is pretty good as well.

We fly Virgin the most in their PE cabin and have always been very happy with them. It requires us to fly Easyjet within Europe which is a bit of extra work but gets us to where we are going.

Oops, I goofed in pp. it's the A330 not A320 that I prefer. The A330 has 2-X-2 seating while the 787 has 3-X-3. At least on the PHL TAs, all the lines have tight pitches and and the two seating fits us better. What's a Virgin? ;) Not out of PHL . . .

We were caught up in the same job action as TravelerThom and fortunately had exactly the opposite experience as he. The switch in airlines went quite smoothly for us...
Glad it went well for you. Travel can certainly be frustrating on occasion, but not so much that I'm going to stop:cool:

I was booked on a AA nonstop next month from PHL to LISbon. After booking, the commencement of that seasonal flight was pushed back a week, so there went my reservation. I'm now on LH connecting through FRA. Unhappy with the added hours of travel, but still looking forward to cruising the Douro:)

Thom

My gift:) to this thread for today: Vantage Travel currently has Last Minute Deals on a FEW cabins for near term 7 night Rhine or 10 night Saone/Rhone cruises for $1999 INCLUDING International Airfare. Tips and probably other fees additional. If I wasn't already scheduled and paid on another river cruise, I'd be on one of the above.

Thom

That is cheap... That said have never actually seen those low prices when I surf a mass marketing cruise agencies web page.

JC

Oops, I goofed in pp. it's the A330 not A320 that I prefer. The A330 has 2-X-2 seating while the 787 has 3-X-3. At least on the PHL TAs, all the lines have tight pitches and and the two seating fits us better. What's a Virgin? ;) Not out of PHL . . .

I haven't flown on every Airbus model, but all the ones I tried creaked in ways that didn't inspire confidence about the rigidity of the airframe. I prefer Boeing regardless of configuration -- when it's 3-x-3 DW and I book opposite aisle seats.

That is cheap... That said have never actually seen those low prices when I surf a mass marketing cruise agencies web page.
Neither Vantage or GCCL cooperate with travel agencies, so you would not find out about this through an agency. It has gone DOWN in price to $1499:) (with free air), and as I write this may be seen at

https://www.vantagetravel.com/whyvantage/last-minute-deals

But you have to be able to leave on 28 March.

Thom

Neither Vantage or GCCL cooperate with travel agencies, so you would not find out about this through an agency. It has gone DOWN in price to $1499:) (with free air), and as I write this may be seen at

Thom

That's an incredible deal! I wish I could go! The airfare for my summer Danube cruise is over $1,000.

Thom

Ah, to be retired to take advantage of deals like that. Way back in 2005 we were flying from Santiago to Lima (Peru) and I was sitting next to a British travel agent, who had a group on the flight. She told me that she would frequently fly to Portugal and she was able to book river cruises at the last minute for a couple of hundred bucks. She said, just show up there, and there were almost always steals.

So, I guess when the ships have cabins cheap is possible.

JC

My in-laws have been able to take advantage of a couple of last minute deals on Uniworld, so it is possible. The key for last minute deals is the airfare - if you have to find it on your own, it's not likely going to be a deal (last minute airfare deals never seem to match up with last minute hotel or resort deals, right? :rolleyes:)

My in-laws have been able to take advantage of a couple of last minute deals on Uniworld, so it is possible. The key for last minute deals is the airfare - if you have to find it on your own, it's not likely going to be a deal (last minute airfare deals never seem to match up with last minute hotel or resort deals, right? :rolleyes:)

Frequently GCT last minute deals include airfare from NY or BOS; some include a wider variety of airports. They can arrange flights rom other cities; PHL typically ads $100 RT. If they can't arrange air, you can cancel. You will only find the last minute deal on their website.

Ah, to be retired to take advantage of deals like that...
I AM retired:) but have already paid for another river cruise later that same week. I just can't figure out how to be on a river boat in Germany and in Portugal at the same time:rolleyes:.

We often book cruises after Final Payment date, because if cabins are available they are often offered at cheap prices. A few years ago I was talking with the Food & Beverage Manager on a large ocean ship, and I mentioned that marginal cost of filling those remaining rooms would only be a little more expense for food. He said the food had been ordered months ago, and his department would have zero savings on food, but with more passengers would have increased liquor sales, and more tips for his workers. As far as he was concerned the company could GIVE away the last cabins and he would come out ahead.

As Hoyaheel has pointed out airfare is critical. In this case Vantage already has contracted airfare (but I suspect would be able to get at least some money back on it). Last Spring 13 days out we grabbed a cheap GCCL Bordeaux river cruise advertised with included air - we were on "hold" for a day while they checked to see if they could get us air, and said that they had released their held air at 14 days - not sure of the details, but they got us there at the advertised low price. In ocean cruise, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (the parent of RCI, Celebrity and Azamara) has their own internal "bucket shop" and we have been able to pick up last minute (less than a month) good one-way prices (like $325 IAD-LHR) to Europe to connect to TransAtlantics; I'm not sure if CCL has anything comparable.

Thom

I AM retired:) but have already paid for another river cruise later that same week. I just can't figure out how to be on a river boat in Germany and in Portugal at the same time:rolleyes:.

We often book cruises after Final Payment date, because if cabins are available they are often offered at cheap prices. A few years ago I was talking with the Food & Beverage Manager on a large ocean ship, and I mentioned that marginal cost of filling those remaining rooms would only be a little more expense for food. He said the food had been ordered months ago, and his department would have zero savings on food, but with more passengers would have increased liquor sales, and more tips for his workers. As far as he was concerned the company could GIVE away the last cabins and he would come out ahead.

As Hoyaheel has pointed out airfare is critical. In this case Vantage already has contracted airfare (but I suspect would be able to get at least some money back on it). Last Spring 13 days out we grabbed a cheap GCCL Bordeaux river cruise advertised with included air - we were on "hold" for a day while they checked to see if they could get us air, and said that they had released their held air at 14 days - not sure of the details, but they got us there at the advertised low price. In ocean cruise, Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (the parent of RCI, Celebrity and Azamara) has their own internal "bucket shop" and we have been able to pick up last minute (less than a month) good one-way prices (like $325 IAD-LHR) to Europe to connect to TransAtlantics; I'm not sure if CCL has anything comparable.

Thom

9 years from now... Or so....:D

JC

Be here before you know it and you'll wonder where the heck did the time go!!! :eek:

I ask myself where has the time gone all the time:eek:....but I still

have years to go before retirement:(

No matter how good the deal, I would never trust my flight plans to someone else. I want to choose my itinerary, airline and seats. Flying is my least favorite part of any international trip. I want to make that choice for myself.

Edited by caviargal

No matter how good the deal, I would never trust my flight plans to someone else. I want to choose my itinerary, airline and seats. Flying is my least favorite part of any international trip. I want to make that choice for myself.
I won't argue with your decision for yourself, but I'm adventurous enough that I'll take free (okay, included at a very good price). Over the years I have flown across the Pacific in the cargo hold of an Air Force C-141, across the Atlantic in an Aeroflot Il-62 leaking both oil and fuel, landed in a DC-3 on the old dirt strip right in the middle of Tikal, etc and those were luxury compared to some of the local ground transport I have done in Asia, Africa and South America. I used to have business cards with the tag line "Any trip can be turned into an adventure by proper lack of planning" - a joke, at least sort of:p. It has been a fun ride that I wouldn't have missed, but I will admit that my trips across the Atlantic and Pacific in First Class were more pleasant:cool:.

Thom