Moderno

acharris1

If you don't like meat - Moderno is not the place to go. They have all kinds of meat - chicken, lamb, pork, beef. I'm sure there would be something for anyone (except a vegetarian/vegan...lol)

That being said, the salad bar has some interesting cheese and smoked meat selections, unique veggies (love that they have hearts of palm), standard sushi rolls, I think a quinoa or something along those lines, and your normal salad options. But to pay the upcharge for just the salad bar I think would be a bit of a waste. Unless you have a dinning package where you don't have to pay to eat there.

We do have the dining package. We usually try to make ourselves try new foods while cruising. Thanks for the info!

Since Monderno is a fixed price, the dinner package may be better used on an a la carte restaurant (where your package would pay for much more than the cost of Monderno).

I made the mistake of filling up at the salad bar before my meal. I am definitely a carnivore though and appreciated the meat. The salad bar was great, but I'm not sure if it would be enough to be considered a full meal if people aren't going to eat any meat.

I would think it easy to get to USD100 in the other Specialty Restaurants with the dining package. Moderno wouldn't cost that as it is fixed price. Without the meat, however nice the soups and salads are (and they are) it would be expensive. And you need to make the meat choices for those eating meat as some are better than others.

Mike

We were on the Gem earlier this month, and Moderno was the biggest disappointment of all our meals. We do enjoy meat and churrascarias, but found most of the meats at Moderno dry and tough. The salad bar, otoh, was terrific, as was the papaya ice cream dessert.

So, since we had the UDP, we went back a second night and just filled up at the salad bar (very easy to do!) and then had dessert. (One of the managers was appalled that we'd skipped the meats.) It was plenty for dinner.

We were on the Gem earlier this month, and Moderno was the biggest disappointment of all our meals. We do enjoy meat and churrascarias, but found most of the meats at Moderno dry and tough. The salad bar, otoh, was terrific, as was the papaya ice cream dessert.

So, since we had the UDP, we went back a second night and just filled up at the salad bar (very easy to do!) and then had dessert. (One of the managers was appalled that we'd skipped the meats.) It was plenty for dinner.

I have to agree. Moderno had been a favorite of ours until our last cruise on the Gem. We were disappointed as well.

I was looking forward to the salad bar after all the rave reviews on here, but honestly there weren't that many things on it I like. I admit to being slightly picky. The grilled pineapple on the other hand was to die for!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to agree. Moderno had been a favorite of ours until our last cruise on the Gem. We were disappointed as well.

Yeah, the other party was so disappointed, that they went back a second night and just had the salad bar. I don't think anything that brings you back a second time can be much of a disappointment, now can it?

The best Moderno salad bar by far was the one on the Epic, at least it was a few years ago. On the Escape, our group of 7 loved the salad bar so much that we all went back twice before starting the meats course. There is definately enough to make a full meal, including soups. It is hard to describe. Unlike any other salad bar I have seen. I only nibbled at the meats. I wave off everything except the ones which are most tender. I was disappointed to see that the fried plantains are gone. None of us felt our SDP was wasted, and at roughly $20 per night with the SDP, it is cheaper than going sans package and paying the full cover charge.

Hmmmm. This is disappointing to read. We have UDP' date=' and have it reserved for our last night onboard.[/quote']

It just depends on what you are looking for. It is reportedly not nearly as good as some land based higher end churrascaria restaurants, but it is also not nearly as expensive. I think the very unique salad bar makes it worthwhile, but others may not.

I think the Teppanyakis are just so, so. I can get exactly the same thing at home for a similar price. But they are fun.

If you are looking for an overall great meal, with excellent meats and sides, you might want to choose Cagneys or Le Bistro. Enough on the menus in these places to warrant two or more visits to each.

There are also a couple of seafood choices that they will bring you instead of (or in addition to) all the meat. Some kind of shrimp in sauce and white fish cooked in a banana leaf. It's not served on the giant skewer, so it's not as fun, but it's an option.

On the Dawn 4 weeks ago was the first time i saw the fish in banana leaf. It was the best thing they served apart from the pineapple. Both were excellent. The menu says meats are served medium rare. They are not. Everything I had was well done, very well done, exceptionally well done or cooked to within an inch of turning to ash.

First time we did Moderno was on Epic in 2011. We loved it. Been many times since and never had as good an experience, I haven't made any reservations for Moderno on our upcoming trip.

We have done Moderno on the Star and the Dawn.

Salad bar has good antipasto type options: meats, cheeses, olives, some pickled things etc. I never tried the soup (tried to save room for the meat).

At the table they brought us fried plantains (love!), rice and maybe beans? I don't know, but there are some sides they bring to the table.

Grilled pineapple is brought around to give you a break from the meat. And there is always a chicken option and some non beef options. I didn't find the meat too well done or too dried out either of the times we tried Moderno.

The only other place I did the whole meat on a stick think was at a restaurant in Chicago (Texas de Brazil) that had a flying sommelier that was, without a doubt, better than the Moderno. Part of it is atmosphere: Moderno on the older ships before dry dock was in a space that is part restaurant part corridor and whatever "entertainment" is in the attrium floods the restaurant. I look forward to trying it again now that it is moved up next to Cagneys. Next thing to get over is that the people who are supposed to look like Gauchos or something are diminutive Philippine waitresses.

Even so, I would recommend it based on our experiences, it was one of our favorite added fee restaurants that offered something completely (atmospherically and gastronomically) different than the main dining rooms.

Hmmmm. This is disappointing to read. We have UDP' date=' and have it reserved for our last night onboard.[/quote']

If you have the package go, the salad bar is amazing. honestly I am going to go just for that. I actually skip most of the meats because I am full from the salad bar. I just cant say enough good things about the choices on the salad bar. go feast enjoy

Don't forget the hot sides delivered to the table, in addition to the salad bar. While we loved the meats when we went (PoA 2014), between the salad bar, sides and grilled pineapple we would have been completely satisfied without them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk