Nervous about first cruise with toddler on RCCL

Thanks, all. I spoke with a travel agent at AAA who has sent a request to handle my reservation. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about (and he called me back within a few hours), and seemed annoyed that the rep I had spoken to couldn't understand that I needed to reserve a pack and play. I haven't even done much yet, since we have to wait for the reservation to be transferred to the agency, but I already feel more at ease.

Thanks again, and special shout out to PP who pointed out that I COULD switch to using an agent!

Glad it's all working out....Just remember to bring a couple of fitted sheets for the PnP....and don't forget to bring them home with you ;)

Thanks, all. I spoke with a travel agent at AAA who has sent a request to handle my reservation. He actually seemed to know what he was talking about (and he called me back within a few hours), and seemed annoyed that the rep I had spoken to couldn't understand that I needed to reserve a pack and play. I haven't even done much yet, since we have to wait for the reservation to be transferred to the agency, but I already feel more at ease.

Thanks again, and special shout out to PP who pointed out that I COULD switch to using an agent!

Here's the link with transfer info:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqType=faq&faqSubjectId=323&faqSubjectName=After+You+Purchase&faqId=2004

You'll have a great time! We cruised with our 2 year old grandson a few years ago. As others have said, reserve the play yard/pack and play ahead of time. They use regular sheets and wrap it around the mattress... No problem. Milk and high chairs/booster seats are available and the staff is very willing to help. Make sure to pack enough diapers and supplies though.

Our grandson was too young to participate in the children's clubs and attended the daily supervised gathering for his age with his parents or us but he was the only child most days but just as well since kids this age may not play well together. They even had bags of toys to sign out and borrow for the cruise.

Everyone will make a big fuss over your child and you'll enjoy it.

Have fun... We all had a great family vacation.

Bring some disposable sippy cups. The ships only have glasses. In the morning fill an extra cup with juice it is only free at breakfast. Then store in your fridge for later in the day. Milk is always free when requested for a child. Don't bother bringing your own sheet the cabin steward lines the pack and play with a flat sheet it is tucked we'll never had any issues with it.

Milk is on the Windjammer (cafeteria) buffet in 6-8 oz sealed paper cartons in three varieties (whole, skim [might be 1%] and chocolate). At meal time you can take some as needed and store in your refrigerator (most rooms have these, but usually not very cold) or stick them in your ice bucket (these are now by request - just ask your room steward and you get ice delivered twice a day). In the MDR (Main Dining Room) milk is often served in a glass - ask to have a carton if you want to take it back to the room.

Thom

Bring some disposable sippy cups. The ships only have glasses. In the morning fill an extra cup with juice it is only free at breakfast. Then store in your fridge for later in the day. Milk is always free when requested for a child. Don't bother bringing your own sheet the cabin steward lines the pack and play with a flat sheet it is tucked we'll never had any issues with it.

Just to clarify. Milk is available all the time in the Windjammer and MDR. They have it out at breakfast because of cereal. At other times staff will get cartons for you. You don't have to be a child - I drink milk at lunchtime and never had a problem. Also available through room service.

Better to keep on ice than in cooler. The coolers are not true refrigerators - just coolers.

Don't be discouraged by some less than optimal experiences with the phone reps. It happens to all of us from time to time.

We've traveled with young kids plenty on cruises. It is the easiest trip to take! There will be plenty of milk and chocolate milk as well as water. Try putting in a request for a pack in play in advance. Find your room steward when the rooms open up and confirm it. You may also want to ask him/her to take out the coffee table for increased space. Also, see the dining room on the first day to confirm a booster seat. We never used a high chair as we cruised with kids when the youngest was 2 years old.

You really don't need to do all this pre-planning stuff with the cruiseline.

All they are going to do is sell you stuff you probably won't need.

Everything can be taken care of when you get to the ship.

They deal with this sort of thing every week.....

Two important tips:

Pack and Play might not arrive until 1st night.

Bring as much disposable things as possible.

Our DD started cruising when she was less than 1 so I'll add to what everyone else has been saying. The OP had just a bad rep and should try to call back or wait until on-board. A few years ago they would at least put pack in play on the special request section of your invoice. Now that doesn't really mean anything onboard. As mentioned make sure when you first meet your stateroom attendant let them know you need one. One thing I wish I knew for our first cruise with our child was that it can be until the first night turn down service until you get the pack and play. It's not a big deal but something to plan on as a just in case (we sometimes had it on arrival but more often not until that night.) Pillows and blankets on the bed work too if a nap is needed first day before muster.

Also as mentioned bring as much disposable things as possible. We found disposable place mats and disposable bibs to be the best. No need to worry about washing and can leave them behind. :) You can also take 1 or 2 and put into a small bag so you're not needing to carry too much around with you.

Finally I'll toss in an endorsement for the nursery. It's a great service and gives you time to relax and enjoy.

You really don't need to do all this pre-planning stuff with the cruiseline.

All they are going to do is sell you stuff you probably won't need.

Everything can be taken care of when you get to the ship.

They deal with this sort of thing every week.....

Agreed.

OP: relax, everything is fine. Stop planning and thinking so much.

We've cruised many times with babies and up and never had any issue with getting beds, chairs, milk, food... Don't recall if we ever inquired ahead of time either?

Once we had them remove a crib because we were co-sleeping but it was there the second we walked into the room. Same with the high chair, a few times we asked it be moved because our child fell asleep in her stroller on the way to the meal.

You're stressing about nothing. Have a good trip. :)

Two important tips:

Pack and Play might not arrive until 1st night.

Bring as much disposable things as possible.

Our DD started cruising when she was less than 1 so I'll add to what everyone else has been saying. The OP had just a bad rep and should try to call back or wait until on-board. A few years ago they would at least put pack in play on the special request section of your invoice. Now that doesn't really mean anything onboard. As mentioned make sure when you first meet your stateroom attendant let them know you need one. One thing I wish I knew for our first cruise with our child was that it can be until the first night turn down service until you get the pack and play. It's not a big deal but something to plan on as a just in case (we sometimes had it on arrival but more often not until that night.) Pillows and blankets on the bed work too if a nap is needed first day before muster.

Also as mentioned bring as much disposable things as possible. We found disposable place mats and disposable bibs to be the best. No need to worry about washing and can leave them behind. :) You can also take 1 or 2 and put into a small bag so you're not needing to carry too much around with you.

Finally I'll toss in an endorsement for the nursery. It's a great service and gives you time to relax and enjoy.

I don't think this ship has a nursery.

With a toddler, a cruise is the best vacation there is. We've been sailing with our now six- and three-year-old DGSs since the older one was a toddler. The staff on board will go out of their way to provide you with whatever you need for your child.

I know it's pointless to tell a Type A Planner to just go with the flow, but it really will be okay. You've gotten some great suggestions here re a plastic tub (we put it between two lounge chairs at the pool as well as using it on the balcony and for baths) and bringing a small cooler to keep the milk in your room (your steward will bring you all the ice you need for it) and especially visiting the family cruising forum. It was a wealth of information for my DD before she sailed with her toddler for the first time.

The room attendant will provide you with a pack and play, no problem. Do bring your own sheets and blanket I recommend. Don't buy the drink package, you can get free milk on the cruise. Water is the one thing I will purchase for sure.

Another tip depending on the age of the baby is to bring an inflatable bath tub.

When my son was a toddler we took him on a "tester" cruise to Key West and the Bahamas before embarking on a Baltic cruise because as a new mom I was nervous to see how he would do on a cruise. He did fantastic!!! On his first cruise he used the inflatable bath tub as he was only 13 months and just learning to walk. On the cruise in Europe he took his very first shower and loved it.

Now at 10 years old he has gone with us everywhere and loves to cruise - land or sea.

• 1 month later...

Bring a pack and play sheet and ask for a regular blanket. We folded it up and put it under the fitted sheet. It makes the pack and play much more comfortable. Our 19 month old GS, slept with out any problems. We also signed out toys, great idea. We were on the Independance, so I'm not sure if they have the baby / toddler program on your ship.

I may do that. I also just sent an inquiry to AAA to see if I can in fact transfer my cruise to an agent (I would have to reactivate the membership I never used).

I'm so glad to have finally posted here! I was starting to rethink even going at all.

You do not need a AAA membership to use their travel agency services.

We booked through them on a recommendation from a coworker, as they offered a lot of perks for the same price we would have gotten if we booked online. And we do not have a AAA membership.

Well worth it, AND we still have control of our booking on the RCCL website, to book shows, restaurants, drink packages, etc.

Just make sure you get the play yard reserved or you will have a visitor in bed with you each night.:eek::D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the responses! I didn't see them until now, for some reason. I'm worrying less, just trying to figure out my list of things to pack (of course I am, as established upthread :D).

In another post about sleeping arrangements, I saw it mentioned that I can use magnetic shower hooks and a curtain (shower curtain, I guess?) to block off some space for my child's sleeping area (she goes to sleep at 6.. yes, she sleeps 6pm to 7 or 8am, so I'm probably going to have to use the on ship/nursery or babysitting at some point). Is this something that will work to at least create some kind of barrier? We are in a balcony D1 stateroom, so I'm open to suggestions (even if they are "try to upgrade").

As an aside, I asked my husband, after reading these replies if he would say I'm a "Type A planner type", and he laughed like he couldn't believe I was serious. The answer was "Yes." :rolleyes:

Edited by magicbananas

I'm the shower curtain and magnetic hook mom ;)

We've been doing it for years now. The curtain helps create a separate space and it always helped my son settle down and allowed us to watch some tv after he falls asleep. Taking my son on his 8th cruise in a few weeks. He's 3 now. If you check out my reviews in my signature I wrote about cruising with babies/ toddlers a lot. For some ideas check out my reviews on:

Carnival Glory, son was 10 months.

Enchantment in 2014- he was 14 months.

Carnival Breeze 2014- he was 17 months

Brilliance- he was 19 months.

They are rather lengthy but I wrote about traveling with a little one because so much info was lacking on the Internet!

Edited by Sunkissed Mommy

I'm the shower curtain and magnetic hook mom ;)

We've been doing it for years now. Taking my son on his 8th cruise in a few weeks. He's 3 now. If you check out my reviews in my signature I wrote about cruising with babies/ toddlers a lot. For some ideas check out my reviews on:

Carnival Glory, son was 10 months.

Enchantment in 2014- he was 14 months.

Carnival Breeze 2014- he was 17 months

Brilliance- he was 19 months.

They are rather lengthy but I wrote about traveling with a little one because so much info was lacking on the Internet!

You are amazing! Thanks so much.