Getting to St Mark's Square from the Cruise Terminal?

canadarocks

We overnight in Venice and Holland America is offering an "on your own" tour that takes us to St Mark's Square for 4 hours for $40 per person.

If we want to do it truly on our own: am I right in that we walk to the People Mover, take it to Piazzale Roma, and then catch a vaporetto from there? When we're ready to return to the ship (probably far more than 4 hours later!), do we just reverse those steps?

Yes, you can do it as you describe, or simply walk there. We walked all over Venice in one day a couple of years ago. Other than lunch, no cost. The main area of Venice really isn't that big. You could walk over, and take a water taxi or the vapretto back.

Definitely would not pay HAL $80.

Edited by CruiserBruce

We overnight in Venice and Holland America is offering an "on your own" tour that takes us to St Mark's Square for 4 hours for $40 per person.

If we want to do it truly on our own: am I right in that we walk to the People Mover, take it to Piazzale Roma, and then catch a vaporetto from there? When we're ready to return to the ship (probably far more than 4 hours later!), do we just reverse those steps?

This was vap no. 1 to from PR to St Mark/s Square (about 40-45 minutes). Vap no. 2 takes about 10 minutes less. If you walk one way, vap the other it will be around €1.50 each way for the People Mover and €7.50 for single vap ride (much better is to buy a 24-hour ticket for €20 if you intend to use vaps more than twice). All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

Good to know that it's easy to do on our own. To clarify: Alilaguna are the water taxis, which is separate from the vaporetti correct?

Those who suggest walking there on our own: Can you walk from the cruise terminal to St Mark's Square? Or do you mean we can walk to Piazzale Roma instead of taking the People Mover, and then catch a Vaporetto from there?

Edited by canadarocks

Walk.

As you say take the people mover and then just wander through the delightful "streets" of Venice. You can't get lost, there's plenty of signs for Piazza Marco. And others such as Rialto bridge. Shop, have a drink or a plate of pasta.

Just be careful of the people mover closing time. It's walkable, but you'll have done a few miles already by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who suggest walking there on our own: Can you walk from the cruise terminal to St Mark's Square? Or do you mean we can walk to Piazzale Roma instead of taking the People Mover, and then catch a Vaporetto from there?

Either. Personally I'd take the people mover, cross to Piazza Roma and walk from there. Or you can get a Vaporetto from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you papcx and everyone else for your very helpful advice!

One more question please. We'll be overnighting in Venice before our cruise as well, and I've booked us a hotel in Piazzale Roma. We have a tour booked that starts in the Jewish Ghetto section (Cannaregio). Can we take a Vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to the Cannaregio or do we need to take a train?

Good to know that it's easy to do on our own. To clarify: Alilaguna are the water taxis, which is separate from the vaporetti correct?

Alilaguna is one of the companies that run the larger water buses- the "color" lines (Blue, for example), that go the longer routes.

Vapretto is the smaller "water buses" that run within the main city area. The "numbered" (#4.1, for example) routes.

Both are "water buses".

Edited by CruiserBruce

Thank you papcx and everyone else for your very helpful advice!

One more question please. We'll be overnighting in Venice before our cruise as well, and I've booked us a hotel in Piazzale Roma. We have a tour booked that starts in the Jewish Ghetto section (Cannaregio). Can we take a Vaporetto from Piazzale Roma to the Cannaregio or do we need to take a train?

1. I agree with the those who suggested to take the People Mover from ship to Piazzele Roma. Then either walk or vaparetto to San Marco (and other destinations you may want to go to).

2. No train goes to the Jewish quarter that I'm aware of. You can easily walk to it as well from Piazzale Roma or take a vaparetto to get to a closer starting point. It's generally closer to Piazzale Roma than San Marco is. Search for Cannaregio on Google maps and you'll see where it located compared to P. Roma (which you can also search for).

Edited by MeHeartCruising

This was vap no. 1 to from PR to St Mark/s Square (about 40-45 minutes). Vap no. 2 takes about 10 minutes less. If you walk one way, vap the other it will be around €1.50 each way for the People Mover and €7.50 for single vap ride (much better is to buy a 24-hour ticket for €20 if you intend to use vaps more than twice). All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]DQ8apgEhZBA[/YOUTUBE]

I loved this video! I am going to Venice for the first time next month, can't wait. Thanks so much for posting it.

Cheers

Rosie

Lets deal with several questions. Regarding the Jewish Ghetto, there is no vaporetto stop that is perfect since the ghetto is located within the confines of Venice a bit of a walk from any of several vaporetto stops. So look at a map, or perhaps buy the Rick Steves Guide, and choose the vaporetto stop that works best for your starting point.

As to St Marks Sq from the port you have a few options. If you use the Alilaguna there is a route from the port, but keep in mind that if you buy a timed vaporetto pass (such as 24 hour) it is worthless on the Alilaguna (which is a different company).

We suggest using the convenient and cheap People Mover from the port to the P. Roma (keeping in mind that its a long walk from most piers to the People Mover station). Once in the P. Roma you have several options, You can walk over to the Vaporetto docks (they have a large ACTV sign) and take the #1 or #2 to the St Marks Sq stop. Or, you can simply walk from the P. Roma to St Marks Sq (we love to walk through Venice). If you are going to walk it is smart to have a decent map...and be aware that many of the directional signs are high up on the building walls (near corners).

Also be advised that you can buy single (90 min) Vaporetto tickets or timed tickets (24, 48, 72, etc hour) passes. We recommend the latter and you should choose what fits your time in Venice. A vaporetto ticket can take you anywhere around Venice or to any of the other islands (Murano, Burano, Lido, etc) in the Lagoon.

Hank

We're doing a morning tour that I think leaves you off in/near St. Mark's Square with the option to take excursion transportation back or return on your own. Anyone know the streets to get back, or is Venice literally that small that I can easily look up see the port area and just know which way to go? I have a terrible sense of direction, so I know my husband won't believe I know where to go unless I have written directions of some sort.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We're doing a morning tour that I think leaves you off in/near St. Mark's Square with the option to take excursion transportation back or return on your own. Anyone know the streets to get back, or is Venice literally that small that I can easily look up see the port area and just know which way to go? I have a terrible sense of direction, so I know my husband won't believe I know where to go unless I have written directions of some sort.

I have zero sense of direction and even after 3 visits to Venice, on our last trip it took us 3 hrs to get from St Marks to our hotel near Piazzale Roma !! I love riding the vaporetto on the Grand Canal so that's what I should have done. However getting lost did provide us with an experience we wouldn't have had otherwise ... a traghetto across the Canal. That was a hoot!

If you're concerned about getting lost, you can pick up maps from street vendors or copy one from a guide book at your library. There is signage to follow but it's not always in place. Check out the info on this site:

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/finding-your-way-in-venice.htm

And if you choose the vaporetto, disembark at Piazzale Roma, then walk across the square and catch the People Mover to the pier.

Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Unfortunately, Venice is not so small that you will be able to visually look up and see the port area (or any area, in particular) and just know which way to go. It is very walkable between St. Mark's Square and Piazelle Roma, but it is going to take a very irregular path that winds around buildings, canals, and footbridges. Remember, there are no roads with cars in this area. You can get a feel for the general direction you need to walk, but if you want to stay on track, you would want a map to follow and/or to keep looking up at the walls of the buildings along the way. There are signs (usually handprinted, like the one shown in the link above) that point you in the direction of St. Marks Square or Piazzale Roma. Often they are written as "S. Marco" or "P. Roma". A third common sign is for "Rialto" -- the Rialto Bridge. If you keep following these signs, you will get to your destination. But I would take a map too if you are directionally challenged.

• 2 months later...

Here is a hint (sometimes overlooked) about walking around Venice. There are directional signs to a few main areas (San Marco, Rialto, P. Roma, etc) but they are high up on the walls of various buildings (we are talking about 10 feet up). So when folks walk around, they tend to look for signs at eye level, but you need to look up on the buildings. We used to walk around with our head buried in a detailed street map...but on our last 2 visits we did not even take a map. Just used those signs...and it was a lot more enjoyable.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Does RCCL provide a direct water shuttle from Brillance OS to St Marks Square? If so do you know the cost?

Thanks!

Regardless of whether or not this is offered, the only certainty is that the cost will too much so you will be much better off taking the Alilaguna or simply walking. Or if you have a party of 4 or 5 or more (or coordinate one via your roll call), even taking your own water taxi may make more sense! :)

Here is a hint (sometimes overlooked) about walking around Venice. There are directional signs to a few main areas (San Marco, Rialto, P. Roma, etc) but they are high up on the walls of various buildings (we are talking about 10 feet up). So when folks walk around, they tend to look for signs at eye level, but you need to look up on the buildings. We used to walk around with our head buried in a detailed street map...but on our last 2 visits we did not even take a map. Just used those signs...and it was a lot more enjoyable.

Hank

Hank , I apologize for stalking you but your wise council is required .

I am renting cars with Hertz in both Livorno and Naples . I believed I booked so that there would be a shuttle , pick-up or shortish stroll from the ship to the pick-up . I requested this . Now I'm not sure what will happen . The Naples document says there is a ship pick-up . The Livorno one mentions a pick-up and drop-off fee . Any idea how this works and how much they charge .

Thank you and apologies for being way off topic .

Regardless of whether or not this is offered, the only certainty is that the cost will too much so you will be much better off taking the Alilaguna or simply walking. Or if you have a party of 4 or 5 or more (or coordinate one via your roll call), even taking your own water taxi may make more sense! :)

I'm asking because my friends who are on the RCCL cruise have limited ability to walk. The last time I was in Venice, there was a VERY long walk thru turnstiles to the parking lot leading to the people mover. Celebrity at the time, offered direct access to St Marks from basically the bow of the ship. It was more expensive, but if you can only walk so far, it's worth it.

Hank , I apologize for stalking you but your wise council is required .

I am renting cars with Hertz in both Livorno and Naples . I believed I booked so that there would be a shuttle , pick-up or shortish stroll from the ship to the pick-up . I requested this . Now I'm not sure what will happen . The Naples document says there is a ship pick-up . The Livorno one mentions a pick-up and drop-off fee . Any idea how this works and how much they charge .

Thank you and apologies for being way off topic .

In Naples they will pick you up. I am not sure of the exact pick-up spot, but it it will likely be right out in front of the main cruise ship terminal building (if they do not make the place clear...ask for clarification). In Naples, everything is done outside the main terminal entrance...so you must walk from your ship through the long terminal building, down the steps, and out the door. There are several small gas stations located along the road right outside the port (convenient when you have to fill), but finding your way into the port and to the drop place is a bit complicated. So make sure they tell you how to get in the port and where to leave the car.

The situation in Livorno is really convenient. Sifracar (the Hertz Franchisee) will have a representative waiting right off the end of the gangplank....and your car should be waiting within a few feet (you drop at the same place). We have always booked directly with Sifracar (they have their own web site) where they have a link to "Cruise Ship" specials which include both the cost of pier-side delivery and pick-up. If you booked through Hertz's web site, not sure how this prices out the car. But a small stick shift car usually costs about 90€ which includes the convenient location service. Given the hassle of getting in and out of the Livorno port, this pier-side service is a Godsend :). The irony about Livorno is that although it is a Royal Pain for cruisers to get out of the port, it is actually an Open Port that makes it easy to drive into the port to return the car. Livorno has a public marina inside the port, so they really cannot lock the place down (like in Civitavecchia). But as you near the part of the port that has the large cruise ships, there is a security gate/check. Last month, we were stopped by security and I simply said "rental car" and the guard waved me through. I dropped the car about 20 feet from the gang plank (makes you wonder about security).

Hank