My Experience at SHARE - Ruby 3/10/16 Sailing

FloatillaTheHun

We have never had a good experience in the Crown Grill. Every effort to try something different (four tries) always came up with a tough piece of meat.QUOTE]

Hmmm - we have never tried Crown Grill but are planning to do so on upcoming Grand Mexico Riviera - now you have me worried.:confused:

Oh, please don't let my opinion sway you. Besides, if you don't like what they give you, you can always send it back. We rarely send food back because of the issue with time. We did try Crown Grill this last November (it was a free meal because we were in a suite) and we ordered seafood instead and it was very nice. So, if you can't find a tender cut, opt for some seafood. :D

BTW, most people here have had better experiences than we have. Oh, we also will be on your same cruise on 5/1.

Edited by iceleven

I wanted to make a comment about "the room never seemed to be at capacity." Princess runs its speciality restaurants on a single seating concept meaning that a table is booked for the whole night - they don't try to "turn tables" like some restaurants do aiming for maximum revenue. This allows them to focus on service and quality instead of a get them in and get them out mentality. Therefore, there will always be empty tables at various points of the evening in all the speciality venues.

I wanted to make a comment about "the room never seemed to be at capacity." Princess runs its speciality restaurants on a single seating concept meaning that a table is booked for the whole night - they don't try to "turn tables" like some restaurants do aiming for maximum revenue. This allows them to focus on service and quality instead of a get them in and get them out mentality. Therefore' date=' there will always be empty tables at various points of the evening in all the speciality venues.[/quote']

Thank you for that comment, Chris. I had not realized that. It completely explains why neither the Crown Grill nor Sabbatini's seems to be "fully engaged" when we've dined in them. I agree that the service in these restaurants is usually more attentive, and that is the reason that we dine in them often.

Oh, please don't let my opinion sway you. Besides, if you don't like what they give you, you can always send it back. We rarely send food back because of the issue with time. We did try Crown Grill this last November (it was a free meal because we were in a suite) and we ordered seafood instead and it was very nice. So, if you can't find a tender cut, opt for some seafood. :D

BTW, most people here have had better experiences than we have. Oh, we also will be on your same cruise on 5/1.

Thanks for the update, we are cruising with another couple - one of which is a real meat eater, so sea food would not be a good substitute :) DW and I like Lamb, so that might be a solution.

Hope to see you onboard - I see you signed up for M&G we have not done so but probably will. On prior cruises the M&G was useful for meeting excursion companions - not much going on for excursions on May 1st.

Don't mean to Hijack the thread.

None of the meats are something I will eat and I don't eat seafood. I also don't eat innards like liver. Ever. Pretty much the entire menu is not food I would enjoy but that doesn't mean I begrudge anyone else and I like to hear a "feel good" story. I will leave those tables for others will enjoy it and/or who are adventurous eaters. Nor would I deny my DH if he wanted to go there.

I feel the same way as you. I do admit to being picky and nonadventurous, and I just can't see paying extra for these items, but if others do, that's fine. On our last cruise we were gifted with a complimentary dinner in Sabatinis, which at least was a cuisine I like, but even after that meal, I can't see paying for it. Plus I'm allergic to many forms of seafood.

I wanted to make a comment about "the room never seemed to be at capacity." Princess runs its speciality restaurants on a single seating concept meaning that a table is booked for the whole night - they don't try to "turn tables" like some restaurants do aiming for maximum revenue. This allows them to focus on service and quality instead of a get them in and get them out mentality. Therefore' date=' there will always be empty tables at various points of the evening in all the speciality venues.[/quote']

I do not think that is how they do it.

There have been a number of posts on Cruise Critic saying essentially "I wanted to make a reservation at the Crown Grill for 7 PM, but I was told there was nothing available until 8:30 PM." This points to having at least two seatings.

There have been a number of posts on Cruise Critic saying essentially "I wanted to make a reservation at the Crown Grill for 7 PM, but I was told there was nothing available until 8:30 PM." This points to having at least two seatings.

My wife and I dine in the specialty restaurants often, and, as you report, on numerous occasions we have been told that our first choice for time was not available. While your conclusion is reasonable, another possible conclusion is that they do not staff these restaurants to serve all the tables. I have posted on this board many times that I have never seen all the tables taken in these restaurants. More often than not, the room is about half utilized. They seem to see peak utilization on formal nights, and, I agree that on these nights they seem to approach maximum capacity for a couple hours.

So, I think another reasonable conclusion is that they know they have staff to serve a certain percentage of the tables--for the sake of argument, let's say it's 50%. So, if 50% of the tables are in use when I request a table at 7:00, they will regretfully declline and suggest another time when they see that tables have opened--say, 7:45. So, yes, I guess they do "turn tables." However, if we arrive at 7:45, we may very well be seated at a table that hasn't been used all night since diners who were seated at 5:30 may be lingering over coffee or digestifs.

I have no inside information as to whether or not this is the case. It's just my theory.

I don't think they actually have two "seatings" but I could be wrong. I think a lot of it has to do with their limited staff assigned to that particular restaurant.

Each time we went there were always lots of empty tables but only a few waiters. We also never were able to get a table when we requested an earlier one than 7p.m. yet when we arrive, half of the restaurant is empty.

Thanks for your review. I will be on the Ruby in October, and am looking forward to trying Share.

IMO, a cruise is a great place to try new things. You don't like it? The staff will bring you something else, for no added cost.

IMO, a cruise is a great place to try new things. You don't like it? The staff will bring you something else, for no added cost.

Have you heard that to be the case for SHARE? The pricing structure is not the same for SHARE as for the other dining menus where your choices are unlimited.

Have you heard that to be the case for SHARE? The pricing structure is not the same for SHARE as for the other dining menus where your choices are unlimited.

I think I read it's $8 for every additional dish they bring.

The menu states that you will be charged for any additional items you order. The server reinforced that, too, when he stated the courses we would receive. When we ate there, people came in at what appeared to be 15 min increments, so I do believe it's like any normal land based restaurant for reservations. There were about 5 tables occupied while we were there. It was so quiet, we could hear the conversation of the table 2 tables away from us. As for being adventurous, I was adventurous at SHARE and still cringe at the thought of the food. It was just too rich and frou frou for me. Give me Crown Grill any day!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

That is also our experience.

• 2 weeks later...
I actually hate plain cooked liver but I do enjoy quite a few liver pates due to the spices and herbs put in there. The taste also depends on what animal the liver is from. It's much like cheese and how a goats cheese will taste different than a cows cheese!

A lot of the reviews on Share have been from posters who have never actually eaten at Share. Not liking a menu offering is one thing but it's really hard to review a restaurant if one hasn't ever actually tasted any of the food.

Since I actually really enjoyed my meal there as well as how all of the plates I looked at the open house and have posted my actual experience, does that make me a cheerleader?! And I certainly don't say that those who have actually eaten there and didn't enjoy their meals do not have the right to that opinion, they certainly do. Just like someone has the right to decide that not spending extra money when meals in the MDR are already included, it's their choice and right. I'm actually glad to have all of the options!

I've enjoyed dinner in SHARE four times now, trying a different entree each time. My first meal was the Twice Cooked Duck and my immediate reaction was "WOW!" These visits were from two cruises (Jan & Feb) on Emerald Princess. I enjoyed each meal. They were thoughtfully prepared: pleasing to the eye, delicious and filling.

A few comments after reading the posts:

-Great review by OP. With respect to extra dishes/portions, on Emerald I asked the cost and was told; they seemed to be enforcing the one choice per course rule. However, my first two visits, the server inquired sincerely as to whether I liked the entree, volunteering that if I did not, then they would bring me something else (most likely without a charge) That's different than asking for two, and it may have been because the restaurant was just launching.

-SHARE is not for everyone: as one reviewer noted, their group seemed to enjoy their meal but decided to cancel a reservation for a second visit. Others veto a visit simply because of mention ingredients seem to venture beyond what must be their comfort zone.

-I applaud a DW who posted a few months ago that her husband dragged her to SHARE kicking and screaming (figuratively, we presume) where she went on to describe that she had an outstanding meal. She's lucky to have a DH who wanted to try something new; and she's a DW for being understanding of her husband's desires and accompanying him. The post indicated that it was a great experience for both.

-Glad to read all the reviews from ACTUAL DINERS. It was incredible a few months back, how it seemed there was an organized group of "SHARE Hate Police" that just cluttered SHARE threads with negativity and comments on how they didn't like the "sound of it." Anyone who was positive was branded a "cheerleader" and perhaps thought to be a Princess Plant. I was worried that they might be on my cruise and I'd have to cross a picket line of them protesting outside the restaurant's entrance with chants of "DON'T EAT IN SHARE: I don't like the food!"

-Beef liver is NOT calf liver, and NEITHER of the two are chicken liver. I've tried both beef liver and calf liver (because I have an open mind and had a Godmother who taught me that one needs to try a food item on three occasions before making a determination of dislike.) I really don't like them. But chopped chicken liver is delicious! Not to be confused with the Chicken Liver Parfait on the SHARE menu, which is also very tasty--- and NOT anything like "liver" as in "liver is liver"

-But let's not argue. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs: for some "liver is liver", "cheese is cheese" and "Chef Boyardee is NOT Franco-American"

I don't believe any of the specialty restaurants are run as a "single seating concept." Profitability is driven by covers and turning tables. And it would be a fool to take the other side of the argument that Princess looks to maximize revenues and profitability.

HOWEVER, that being said, there are a few nuances:

-The specialty restaurants are intended to deliver an upscale/fine dining experience, so guests are not rushed or treated as if they're in a greasy spoon diner. There's recognition that the meal service may last two hours or longer.

-Given hours of operation from the 5:00 hour through seatings accommodated as late as 9:30pm (or even later) and even a 3 hour seating, there's ample time for two turns.

-The length of a cruise has an impact on how much specialty restaurants are utilized (among other factors.) Short cruises tend to see higher utilization, since those interested passengers only have 5 days or less to dine, whereas cruises of a week or more give that many more evenings for prospective diners to reserve a space.

-Crown Grill is generally more popular than Sabatini's and SHARE, so more often this venue is "fully booked." On short cruises table turnover may approach 2.5 in Crown Grill as vacated tables are quickly reset for another guest.

-First hand I've been told "oh, we were really busy in SHARE; we did over 100 covers." I didn't pursue the conversation, but given right over 100 seats ( I think it's 112 to be exact) it could be busier.

-Table seating is staggered, so as to improve service. That's why exact dining time requests are altered +/- 15 minutes sometimes.

I'm always amused when I tell someone that I don't like liver and they respond with: "I have this great recipe you have to try. It doesn't taste like liver." Evidently, liver tastes so bad you have to make it taste like something else in order to like it.

And, no, I don't care what how you cook it or what you mix it with, I'm not trying it.

I learned to like Liver & Onions when just a young boy. The trick they used was: I got to use a Steak Knife (a real knife) if I would eat it. :eek: Well, it worked and I order it when I know the restaurant makes good L&O's. :D But not at Share's Price! ;)

Just Mike

This is very much how my husband and I dine in most restaurants. We find the servings often are too large. He'll order something (main course) that we both will enjoy and I will order an appetizer or salad that we both will enjoy. Maybe it's an "Asian" thing we are accustomed to. We don't call it "family style," we just call it "sharing." The same with desserts. We always share one. The waiters always bring an extra plate.

Miss Betty and I have been sharing for 53 1/2 years and for us it has worked quite well. It use to work better when we had two hungry boys at home that would clean up any left-over meat or desserts. ;)

Just Mike

-But let's not argue. Everyone is entitled to their beliefs: for some "liver is liver", "cheese is cheese" and "Chef Boyardee is NOT Franco-American"

Yes. And everyone is entitled to avoid restaurants they find too expensive or serve food they don't like (without being called unflattering names.) Glad to see you agree with me.

-Beef liver is NOT calf liver, and NEITHER of the two are chicken liver. I've tried both beef liver and calf liver (because I have an open mind and had a Godmother who taught me that one needs to try a food item on three occasions before making a determination of dislike.) I really don't like them. But chopped chicken liver is delicious! Not to be confused with the Chicken Liver Parfait on the SHARE menu, which is also very tasty--- and NOT anything like "liver" as in "liver is liver"

The RocketMan's Rule of Liver: There always comes a time in any discussion about liver where some one says that you will like this liver because it's not "anything like liver".

The First Corollary to the Rule of Liver: If something has to be made to taste like something other than what it really is to be enjoyable, one doesn't need to try it three times.

The Secondary Corollary to the Rule of Liver: Especially if it costs $39.

Edited by RocketMan275

Yes. And everyone is entitled to avoid restaurants they find too expensive or serve food they don't like (without being called unflattering names.) Glad to see you agree with me.

I don't recall from those threads who started calling names, but I agree it was an inappropriate way for them to share how frustrated they were with some of the negative posts. I've always found the better tact is to express my opinions and use subtle comments without pointing any fingers. Typically Cinderella slides her foot without any further guidance.

However, if one doesn't like what a restaurant is serving, generally they simply move on and find another place to eat, as opposed to standing outside the restaurant and telling everyone how much they hate the restaurant and would never eat there. When has anyone seen that? (Except here, of course.)

This thread was started by guests who actually dined in SHARE and related their experience and how they felt about it. And it seems by other posts that:

-many appreciate hearing the review because they have an upcoming cruise and are thinking of dining in SHARE.

-some have follow-up questions, and

-others have posted their experiences, what they liked and didn't like about the restaurant.

THOSE posts add depth to the conversation and give people a better idea of what to expect.

Oh, and that Chicken Liver Parfait... it's just one of several items on the starter course, amounting to just a few ounces, and easy to avoid. Or small enough to SAMPLE and try something new.

Relating a personal story about meals... I have a good friend who does NOT like eggplant AT ALL. So if he's on the guest list for dinner, I keep eggplant off the menu. But one evening, I served an antipasto starter that did include a small amount of a cold ratatouille-like combination including eggplant. For his plate I made sure the portion was tiny. There were about a dozen items on the plate with the eggplant item surrounded by other things. None of the guests asked: "What's this or what's that?" As we all began eating I quietly watched. I hoped he would sample it, but he didn't. He realized what it was and ate around it. Thankfully he didn't kick or scream or say he would never eat in my home or post online never to eat one of my meals because I serve eggplant and he hates it.

However, if one doesn't like what a restaurant is serving, generally they simply move on and find another place to eat, as opposed to standing outside the restaurant and telling everyone how much they hate the restaurant and would never eat there. When has anyone seen that? (Except here, of course.)

So, do you have pictures of these protesters standing outside SHARE and threatening people? :rolleyes:

Let's see... I think someone called me a liar when I said I don't care if people want to eat in SHARE and that I would wish them Bon Appetit even if I didn't choose to go there myself, or that I would stand outside the restaurant and threaten people not to enter, and that I was a "trailer park hog" with no taste because I would prefer to eat meatloaf rather than endive foam. I also remember the post being removed by the moderators because it was full of vitriol and personal attack just because I said I did not want to eat in SHARE. Gee, I wonder who that was?

BTW, I still don't care if you want to eat there. Knock yourself out.

Edited by shredie

I thought your review of Curtis Stone's menu was wonderful.

You took the time to explain what you saw and taste. I enjoyed it.

Like others, there are probably some items I would not even try (seafood) however there were others I probably would (liver).:eek:

In your explanation of your experience, I got the feeling that the service was beyond average and that added to the flavors. Service to me, either add to or takes away from a special meal.

The last time my DH and I ate @ the Crown Grill for my birthday we felt let down. We felt rushed and less attention than we have had before. This was our second experience eating there (different ships) and we probably will not do it again for awhile.:(

On embarkation day, after unpacking and making reservations, we took a toured the ship and stopped by to check out the venue. The restaurant itself is gorgeous. Much more spacious, light, and modern yet inviting than any other space on Princess. On the day of dining the waiter said that the build took only 10 days, it's very impressive what they were able to accomplish in that time. There must have been a great deal of planning and preparation ahead of time to make that happen.

While there we asked about the possibility of getting a window seat and the maitre d' said that would be no problem and noted it in their ledger. When we arrived 4 nights later he greeted us saying "Ah yes, Mr. Hun and the window seat" and walked us to a nice spot with a large window. Unfortunately I think this was so easy because the restaurant only seemed little more than half full the entire evening. But there were plenty of seats without windows so we were glad we asked.

The waiter, Edward, came by and after sorting out water preference and drink orders he enthusiastically told us about the restaurant and Curtis Stone - who he was unfamiliar with prior to Share's existence. He seemed quite proud of everything and happy to be there.

They start you off with charcuterie, the star of which for me was the fennel salami. There was also ibirico ham, olives, and a chicken liver and pomegranate parfait which went great on the cute little bread shaped somewhat like a stalk of wheat.

For appetizers we went the sharing route. One was the tagliatelle which is made from delicate fresh pasta with king crab and was very lovely. The other was the cavatelli as the waiter made a very compelling case for it. I'm glad we listened because it was absolutely delicious. It's a gnocchi with beets sun choke and brussel sprouts, which to me doesn't sound like it'd be up my alley, but I am so glad I tried it. Wonderful combination of flavors.

We both went in wanting the twice cooked duck for our mains, and ordered such. But midway through the appetizers she asked if it was too late to try the mushroom ragu as well. He said he would check, and he was able to deliver. The duck skin was incredibly crispy, yet the meet very juicy and tender. It came with fennel, parmesan crumb, and bacon jus. I think there could have been a little more jus, but overall it was a beautiful dish. I can't really speak to the mushrooms, despite loving many things made with mushrooms I'm just not a fan of them in the flesh. I tried it and that was enough for me, she did enjoy it though.

For side dishes we again both wanted the same, the potato gratin. The waiter said he would also bring us the melted leeks because he thought they were too good not to serve. Once again he was so very right. This is nothing less than a perfect dish. It comes with a confit egg yolk on top that you break open giving a wonderful creaminess, and brioche breadcrumbs supplying a satisfying counter-texture. When I thanked him for bringing them and said how much I enjoyed them, he said he'd check if he could get us another serving, which he did. I hope to get the chance to have it again someday.

Next was a cheese course, we went for sharing style again with the bethmale French cheese and comes with honeycomb and a baguette, and the Spanish cheese La Gruta which came with quince paste dusted with toasted pecan. When trying the cheese alone I preferred the bethmale, however when eating the components as a whole I was once again surprised and preferred the la gruta.

Dessert was another sharing course for us, going with the dark chocolate crémbeux and the ricotta fritters. The crémeux came with a hazlenut pastry crunch that and burnt vanilla bean ice cream that really brought the whole thing together. The fritters were paired with a spiced pear rum compote and créme fraîche ice cream. The fritters themselves were lovely, but I'm not big on fruit in food and didn't care for the pear flavoring in the mix.

I've seen some mixed reviews here about Share. Some confusion about the concept of sharing, and some trepidation about the price. I don't know how many of those people have actually eaten there yet, but please do not let them turn you off to trying it. We had an amazing meal, and considering what something similar (3x easily) would have cost here in L.A. had no problem at all with the cost. If you don't go, you are really missing out in my mind. When thinking if I would go again, the answer isn't just yes, it's thinking would I go twice rather than once and once to Crown Grill as we did this time. Right now I'm leaning towards going twice next time.

We were on that cruise and made reservations for SHARE. However, I had read and then heard so much negative. We went to Salty Dog first night and just loved the casual quietness and personal service especially in comparison to the worst Crown Grille experience ever. SO, I canceled SHARE. I will try on our next cruise as we should always try and then have a true basis for opinion. thanks for sharing yours.