2500 pax...OH MY !!!

lahlah57

Booked the Koningsdam this october and just started thinking......we have never been on anything larger than 1200 capacity.

I know alot of you have been on mega ships, how does is it managed efficiently with the venues....shows......lectures and the sort? I have an image of us racing to each and every venue we can for spot saving security.

This is a 2 week with a 7 day transatlantic crossing. Have any of you sailed with this passenger population and how was it?

No need to bring up pool loungers cause loungers are of no interest and wish to not bring up this hot topic!

Koningsdam is definitely not a megaship, she's medium sized today.

Crowding isn't about the pax numbers as much as the design, fir instance Oasis class is amazingly not crowded most of the time.

No one will know until next month, but I feel she won't be any more crowded than the Signature ships.

While it is NOT a mega-ship, we spent 18 days aboard Celebrity's Solstice last year and found it to be magnificent. Solstice capacity is 2,850 passengers with a crew of 1500.

While this is more people than the 2,000 passengers and 800 crew aboard HAL's Vista ships and more than the Signature Class (2,106 passengers with 929 crew), the ship actually seemed less crowded. More decks with more open space is possible with the larger ship.

With any larger ship (like Koningsdam), there is room for more dining venues (don't dwell on the added costs) which means that not everyone is in the Main Dining Room at all meals. I am sure the theater will be plenty big enough and, of course, not everyone goes to all the shows.

Go and enjoy the new ship. I am sure you will. Please do come back and tell us all about it.

Cheers!

IMO, a lot will depend upon the flow of 'traffic' on the ship, how well the movement of people to and from the MDR and show lounge etc can be accomplished.

MUCH depends upon how well staffed the ship is. If they short staff it, how can it be a good experience if it is a wait for dinner to get served, a wait to get a drink at the bar, a wait to get on a tender, a wait for.........

Space per passenger ratio is more important than the number of passengers. Per previous posts the new ship space ratio is 37.5 (I didn't redo the math). This is an unfavorable number compared to the rest of the fleet but I would still book the ship if I decide to do another HAL.

Shiny new and nice!

Two of the last three ships I have been on are the MSC Divina and Norwegian Breakaway, both over 4000 passengers. I booked the Koningsdam in order to get back to a medium sized ship. I was also on the Celebrity Eclipse and at 2,850 passengers never felt crowded. I'm booked for January so I can let you know after my cruise.

We have been on the Regal and Royal Princesses, both around 3500 passengers. We never felt crowded. They seemed well designed to handle that amount of people. We felt they had the best designed buffet of any ship we have been on. So if HAL has done the proper planning and design, we can hope the Koningsdam will be able to easily handle her passenger load.

This all sounds fairly positive! I got a little anxious with 2500 but there has obviously been much bigger w/o feeling crowded. So really it is a medium sized ship but big for HAL.

Just really was fearing getting crowded out of the ships offering of activities. I am not good at pushing and shoving. That is why Disneyland no longer has the appeal it once did......THE CROWDS!!!

I know we could have stuck with our usual smaller ships but I do have a tendency to get bored easily so why not a brand new ship with good prices attached. Everything NOT being included in said price will be a learn as we go. Bigger ship....more people....nothing included.....I think I am up for something new....hmmm....I think :confused:

This all sounds fairly positive! I got a little anxious with 2500 but there has obviously been much bigger w/o feeling crowded. So really it is a medium sized ship but big for HAL.

Just really was fearing getting crowded out of the ships offering of activities. I am not good at pushing and shoving. That is why Disneyland no longer has the appeal it once did......THE CROWDS!!!

Off topic but I visited hk Disneyland when I lived there and was waiting in queue when the person behind me started leaning on my back. I turned around and found a small older Chinese lady trying to have a snooze against me. She didn't speak English and didn't understand my query of what she was doing. After this happening a couple of times their hk tour leader came running up, she translated to them that westerners don't like being touched by strangers and prefer to leave a gap between people in queues, this was met by the most raucous laughter by the entire group.

Different folks different strokes [emoji41]

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

I know we could have stuck with our usual smaller ships but I do have a tendency to get bored easily so why not a brand new ship with good prices attached. Everything NOT being included in said price will be a learn as we go. Bigger ship....more people....nothing included.....I think I am up for something new....hmmm....I think :confused:

You will have a blast, everything brand new, loads of new experiences.

Positive attitude will lead to a positive experience.

No risk no reward.

Off topic but I visited hk Disneyland when I lived there and was waiting in queue when the person behind me started leaning on my back. I turned around and found a small older Chinese lady trying to have a snooze against me. She didn't speak English and didn't understand my query of what she was doing. After this happening a couple of times their hk tour leader came running up, she translated to them that westerners don't like being touched by strangers and prefer to leave a gap between people in queues, this was met by the most raucous laughter by the entire group.

Different folks different strokes [emoji41]

So true.....have been to many public events that typically require lines including a trip to China. There could be definate problem where personal space is of no consequence and I have had to elbow people away from my space and they were the shocked ones!

Cannot stand someone touching me or crowding me out. Couldn't imagine a stranger falling asleep on me :confused:

Believe it or not, when we were on the Allure recently, we had 5775 passengers and we were never crowded. The ship is large and the neighborhoods keep the passengers in different areas. The only time we experienced large crowds was when the show let out and then you knew to use the stairs and not try to get an elevator. I don't think 2500 passengers will be noticeable. I'm sure HAL has figured out that their clientele would not appreciate crowded spaces so the design will be suitable.