Carnival Miracle vs. HAL Westerdam -- Mexican Riviera

Hello!

I am hoping those of you who have sailed both the Miracle and the Westerdam can offer some perspective regarding which we should choose for our December, 2016 Mexican Rivera cruise. We currently have both booked.

Relevant Information:

1. Prices are identical, but we get $200 OBC on HAL.

2. Cabins are mostly identical (8M Aft Extended Balcony on Miracle - side VB Balcony on Westerdam). Miracle = shower; Westerdam = tub.

3. We have sailed both before, but it has been 10 years since sailing HAL and 20 since sailing Carnival.

4. We will have a 12 year old with us.

5. When we sailed HAL, we were the youngest on board (w/a 2 year old), but we loved every minute of it, so the age ranges do not bother us.

6. We are concerned that Carnival has too much of a party atmosphere now, which does not interest us.

7. Carnival offers a more appealing itinerary, with one night docked at Cabo, and one day at Puerto Vallarta as the only two ports. HAL offers one day in the regular trio of ports, Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, and Mazatlan. We are not too interested in the ports, but definitely would not even debark to visit Mazatlan.

8. We know nothing about the kids' programs for a 12 year old, on either ship.

9. From past experiences, we enjoyed HAL food quality more than Carnival food quality, but, again, that was long, long ago.

I hope that is enough information for some of you to offer some perspective! If any of you have sailed both of these ships, I would very much appreciate your insight!

Thank you! :-)

Edited by forevercruising1

Sailed 3 times on the Miracle the last few months. Last sailed on the Westie in 2008. Friend just got off the Westie and had a great cruise b

Is this for Xmas/New Years? Carnival will have lots of kids and families. It won't be like the 3day cruises at all.

Pricing alone I'd sail the Westie, also like its itin. Then again, we get off and eat.

Check the sleeping arrangements for your son. The Miracle will be a sofa/daybed arrangement. Don't know if the Westie has a sofa or bunk.

Miracle does not have a bath tub.

Edited by SadieN

Is this for Xmas/New Years? Carnival will have lots of kids and families. It won't be like the 3day cruises at all.

Pricing alone I'd sail the Westie, itin wise I'd chose the Miracle.

Check the sleeping arrangements for your son. The Miracle will be a sofa/daybed arrangement. Don't know if the Westie has a sofa or bunk.

Miracle does not have a bath tub.

Thank you for reminding me of those items, Sadie!

The sailing is the week before Christmas. Both rooms are a sofa bed and I will edit my post to include the tub/shower difference!

Thanks for your feedback! :-)

Hmm? We canceled our booked HAL cruise because the price was double that of Carnival and didn't see anything more for our money. Strange to hear that they are the same exact price now. We'll have to look again.

We are seniors and don't find any "party atmosphere" on Carnival that would disturb us at all on the week long cruises to Mexico. We take one every year. I think that you find the short 3-4 day cruises are more of the booze cruise type.

We like the relaxed dress code on Carnival where DH only has to wear a dress shirt and slacks, no jacket /tie etc. for "elegant" night.

We like anytime dining where we can have a table for 2 and not be seated with strangers unless we choose to at dinner.

I cannot speak to the entertainment but I'd imagine there would be more children and planned activities for them on Carnival.

For us though if the price was the same we'd go to HAL because they leave from San Diego which is our home port. We loved it when Royal Caribbean went out of San Diego and would go back to them in a heart beat but they left California!

We sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska. We were expecting the average age to be 80 based on people's comments but we found a very good passenger mix, actually very similar to what we've found on other cruise lines like Carnival.

We traveled with small children who attended Club HAL a few times. The kids facilities are not nearly as nice as what we've seen on Carnival or Royal, but the list of activities and the staff were very similar.

Although there were many families onboard on our sailing, it was a much more relaxed and subdued atmosphere simply because it's Holland America. NO incessant announcements all day long advertising bingo, alcohol tasting, inch of gold sale etc. NO music blasting from a Jumbotron by the main pool (it was actually very relaxing and quiet at the main pool most of the time, except for the times when they had a live band playing or a themed lunch). NO waiters pushing drinks while you're trying to relax by the pool. NO singing waiters at the MDR.

Expect more attention to detail aboard Holland. Some of these things went unperceived by me until my mother who has an eye for them mentioned it. White gloved service, fresh flowers throughout the ship, room service delivered in china (instead of plastic plates), laundry delivered in a wicker basket wrapped in tissue paper with a HAL gold seal, throw blankets for balcony use, teak deck chairs along the promenade (instead of the plastic ones normally found on Carnival), less intrusive staff, etc.

Food was definitely a step above Carnival, not only in the quality and selection, but also in the professionalism of the wait staff. It's less hurried, more personal, and sophisticated. There's less emphasis on junk food. While you can still find burgers, fries and pizza (there's a grill by the pool and a pizza station by the buffet), the selection and quality of other items is more extensive. At the MDR, even though we had open sitting, the experience felt more traditional and closer to a throwback of the opulent days of cruising. In the room service department, you'll find a much more extensive selection, with many hot items, and they'll even allow you to order off the MDR menu complimentarily (as you may or many not know, on Carnival you're limited to mostly cold items and continental breakfast, although they are now offering some hot items but for an extra fee).

Overall, we found the Westerdam to be a very nice ship with some wonderful places like the Crow's Nest (great forward facing lounge with 270 degree view where we spent a lot of time). The Greenhouse Spa with its thalassotherapy pool and thermal suites (where we purchased a weeklong spa pass which was well worth it), and the Pinnacle Grill (which offers alternative dining both for lunch and dinner). We did find the decor throughout the ship to be a bit disjointed though and the public areas to be less glitzy and open (sometimes a bit gloomy). For example, there's an atrium aboard the Westerdam but it's much smaller and darker than what you normally find on Carnival ships.

Overall we loved sailing on the Westerdam mainly because of the destination. They offer very nice itineraries, many which are unique all over the world. We picked our particular sailing because of the ports visited. But I will agree that, while very nice, the ship wasn't one of our favorites. Still, Holland America offered exceptional value specially traveling with small children. For our particular sailing, we received various price drops, even as close as two days prior to departure. We ended with a complimentary upgrade from a window to a balcony stateroom, OBC, and a true kids sail free promo. By the time we sailed, we saved about $700 over what we would've paid on Carnival.

Which one should you pick? It's really dependent on what type of experience you want. Holland will definitely feel less energetic than Carnival, but it will provide a more sophisticated experience. Holland will be more elegant while Carnival will be glitzier. We've enjoyed both cruise lines tremendously but for different reasons.

Edited by Tapi

We sailed on the Westerdam to Alaska. We were expecting the average age to be 80 based on people's comments but we found a very good passenger mix, actually very similar to what we've found on other cruise lines like Carnival.

We traveled with small children who attended Club HAL a few times. The kids facilities are not nearly as nice as what we've seen on Carnival or Royal, but the list of activities and the staff were very similar.

Although there were many families onboard on our sailing, it was a much more relaxed and subdued atmosphere simply because it's Holland America. NO incessant announcements all day long advertising bingo, alcohol tasting, inch of gold sale etc. NO music blasting from a Jumbotron by the main pool (it was actually very relaxing and quiet at the main pool most of the time, except for the times when they had a live band playing or a themed lunch). NO waiters pushing drinks while you're trying to relax by the pool. NO singing waiters at the MDR.

Expect more attention to detail aboard Holland. Some of these things went unperceived by me until my mother who has an eye for them mentioned it. White gloved service, fresh flowers throughout the ship, room service delivered in china (instead of plastic plates), laundry delivered in a wicker basket wrapped in tissue paper with a HAL gold seal, throw blankets for balcony use, teak deck chairs along the promenade (instead of the plastic ones normally found on Carnival), less intrusive staff, etc.

Food was definitely a step above Carnival, not only in the quality and selection, but also in the professionalism of the wait staff. It's less hurried, more personal, and sophisticated. There's less emphasis on junk food. While you can still find burgers, fries and pizza (there's a grill by the pool and a pizza station by the buffet), the selection and quality of other items is more extensive. At the MDR, even though we had open sitting, the experience felt more traditional and closer to a throwback of the opulent days of cruising. In the room service department, you'll find a much more extensive selection, with many hot items, and they'll even allow you to order off the MDR menu complimentarily (as you may or many not know, on Carnival you're limited to mostly cold items and continental breakfast, although they are now offering some hot items but for an extra fee).

Overall, we found the Westerdam to be a very nice ship with some wonderful places like the Crow's Nest (great forward facing lounge with 270 degree view where we spent a lot of time). The Greenhouse Spa with its thalassotherapy pool and thermal suites (where we purchased a weeklong spa pass which was well worth it), and the Pinnacle Grill (which offers alternative dining both for lunch and dinner). We did find the decor throughout the ship to be a bit disjointed though and the public areas to be less glitzy and open (sometimes a bit gloomy). For example, there's an atrium aboard the Westerdam but it's much smaller and darker than what you normally find on Carnival ships.

Overall we loved sailing on the Westerdam mainly because of the destination. They offer very nice itineraries, many which are unique all over the world. We picked our particular sailing because of the ports visited. But I will agree that, while very nice, the ship wasn't one of our favorites. Still, Holland America offered exceptional value specially traveling with small children. For our particular sailing, we received various price drops, even as close as two days prior to departure. We ended with a complimentary upgrade from a window to a balcony stateroom, OBC, and a true kids sail free promo. By the time we sailed, we saved about $700 over what we would've paid on Carnival.

Which one should you pick? It's really dependent on what type of experience you want. Holland will definitely feel less energetic than Carnival, but it will provide a more sophisticated experience. Holland will be more elegant while Carnival will be glitzier. We've enjoyed both cruise lines tremendously but for different reasons.

We have sailed on both ships and enjoyed them both The above nails the difference

7. Carnival offers a more appealing itinerary, with one night docked at Cabo, and one day at Puerto Vallarta

Just so you know, Carnival ship will not stay in Cabo all night. They will leave around 7:30 - 8 pm, sail around the Sea of Cortez, and return the next morning around 7 am.

I've sailed both ships, and liked them both. Having sailed them with my now 12 year old niece I can say she likes the kid's club better on Carnival than on HAL. So I'm basing my recommendation to you on that. :D

Something must be wrong with me because I cannot see any cruise where the pricing is the same.

It's just like Expedia where everyone tells me they get 100s of $$s of their airfares and whenever I look the prices are the same as the airline's prices.

Something must be wrong with my computer or else I just have very bad luck!!!:confused:

Something must be wrong with me because I cannot see any cruise where the pricing is the same.

It's just like Expedia where everyone tells me they get 100s of $$s of their airfares and whenever I look the prices are the same as the airline's prices.

Something must be wrong with my computer or else I just have very bad luck!!!:confused:

Maybe it's the cost of the 3rd person on each cruise that makes them come out the same.

On the dec 17th cruises the OP is choosing from the VB on Hal with 3 pax in the cabin is $2580.

On the Miracle in an 8M with 3 pax the cost is $2610.

Plus OP said she would get $200OBC with HAL.

Bill

7. Carnival offers a more appealing itinerary, with one night docked at Cabo, and one day at Puerto Vallarta

Just so you know, Carnival ship will not stay in Cabo all night. They will leave around 7:30 - 8 pm, sail around the Sea of Cortez, and return the next morning around 7 am.

Thanks for the clarification, welldone60! I wondered how that would work! :-)

Food was definitely a step above Carnival, not only in the quality and selection, but also in the professionalism of the wait staff. It's less hurried, more personal, and sophisticated. There's less emphasis on junk food.

At the MDR, even though we had open sitting, the experience felt more traditional and closer to a throwback of the opulent days of cruising. In the room service department, you'll find a much more extensive selection, with many hot items, and they'll even allow you to order off the MDR menu complimentarily.

Tapi,

Thank you, very much, for your detailed reply! Reading it brought back very pleasant memories of our one and only cruise on HAL 10 years ago! You bring up many of the items that appeal(ed) to us, and have enabled us to cement our decision, while reminiscing about our previous, pleasant HAL experience on the Oosterdam.

We definitely prefer the more sophisticated, quiet, relaxed, attentive, elegant experience that can be found on HAL.

Your review reminded me of some of the reasons we loved our previous HAL cruise: the teak deck chairs, the real china and silverware (even for room service!), the perfect laundry basket, returned with the gold seal, and the delicious meals; in fact, some of our most memorable meals were our room service meals, enjoyed on our balcony! Our other memorable moments were with our young son, as he ambled along the quiet decks, enjoying quality time with me and my husband. We wondered if we would regret taking him on a HAL cruise when he was so young, but it was a wonderful, memorable trip, which we would not trade for anything!

Again, thank you for reminding me of the reasons we enjoyed HAL to begin with; we are now looking forward to our next HAL cruise, this December! :-)

Tapi,

Again, thank you for reminding me of the reasons we enjoyed HAL to begin with; we are now looking forward to our next HAL cruise, this December! :-)

Glad I could help! Have a great cruise!

Edited by Tapi