Staff "demanding" good ratings?

I was leasing a new Lexus, and the sales/lease people almost begged for a 10 rating on the review I would be ask to do. There job rating and long time employment was based upon it.

I have gotten that from a car dealer before, but never from the cruise staff. I've had small comments like, I hope I gave you great service and that will be reflected in your survey, or something along those lines. Never gotten anything I would classify as "begging for a 10."

One car dealership actually offered first oil change for free, if I rated them all 10s, though. That wasn't enough of a bribe for me.

We've heard the evaluation speech before. We usually give them 10s, but on our Snowbird Migration, I was so disgusted w/ our Asst Waiter, I mentioned her by name and needless to say she didn't get a 10. Every time I give a ten, I think I'm giving it to them, not like they earned it.

If management wants only 10s, they should change the form from a likert scale to a true of false model.

We've never had that strong of a speech, but most of the time get some sort of request for high marks. If the service was good or great (which it typically has been for us) we give 10's since we have no reason not to try to help them out. One time the service was really bad and we noted that on the card.

We also mention people by name when they are really good because we've heard that is good for their careers as well. We try to give out a couple of WOW cards a cruise as well.

It's our vacation so we don't waste a lot of time on trying to build on up the crew (they're supposed to be there for us after all), but it really doesn't take much to help them when possible.

I wish RCI would ban the stupid over the top sales pitches though. The only reason I can think of that they might let it continue is, perhaps, they use the ratings in some marketing stuff too so getting lots of 10's helps the company brag as a whole. I don't know that I've ever seen that in practice.

You'd think that RCI would be against anything this annoying.

That said, I think a reminder of how to fill out the card and even saying how much a high mark might mean to the staff person is OK. Lots of people don't know how important it is to them. But, a whole sales pitch speech is too much.

Tom

It's annoying for sure but is not just tied to cruising on RCI. It has happened to us when buying a car, even dealing with customer service agents on the phone. If they get anything lower than the highest score they lose out in a number of ways, financially often at the top.

I feel bad that these employees are forced into the position where they literally have to beg for their jobs or livelihoods in these instances. Scores should be tiered much like grades.

1-4 poor, 5-7 average, 8-10 excellent, something along this.

The fact that some companies don't want to take the time and exert the effort to really look at the ratings/evaluations from the customer is not my problem.

If a member of a cruise staff, car salesman, etc. want a perfect score from me they best provide perfect service.

May sound harsh...but I don't buy into the "10 of 0" spiel. I hear it from everyone that knows a review/survey will be sent for me to complete. Every company on the planet doesn't take that approach.

I recently took a new car in for the first service...at the dealership since it was free. All they had to do was simple routine maintenance and rotate the tires. Everyone was very pleasant and professional so I gave them 8. Within ten minutes of submitting the online survey the Customer Service Manager at the dealership called and wanted to know why they scored so low. I told her the service was as expected but she insisted that something was wrong. I finally got frustrated with her not listening and hung up.

The fact that some companies don't want to take the time and exert the effort to really look at the ratings/evaluations from the customer is not my problem.

If a member of a cruise staff, car salesman, etc. want a perfect score from me they best provide perfect service.

May sound harsh...but I don't buy into the "10 of 0" spiel. I hear it from everyone that knows a review/survey will be sent for me to complete. Every company on the planet doesn't take that approach.

I recently took a new car in for the first service...at the dealership since it was free. All they had to do was simple routine maintenance and rotate the tires. Everyone was very pleasant and professional so I gave them 8. Within ten minutes of submitting the online survey the Customer Service Manager at the dealership called and wanted to know why they scored so low. I told her the service was as expected but she insisted that something was wrong. I finally got frustrated with her not listening and hung up.

So let me get this right. They were pleasant and professional, did exactly what you asked of them regarding the maintenance on that day (routine), yet you scored them an 8. What caused the 2 point deduction? They didn't do enough for you to warrant a 10?

Edited by cruisingsince94

So let me get this right. They were pleasant and professional, did exactly what you asked of them regarding the maintenance on that day (routine), yet you scored them an 8. What caused the 2 point deduction? They didn't do enough for you to warrant a 10?

This is one of the problems with these rating systems. The problem is, what is a ten? Is is "perfection", or is it "everything was fine"? In this person's eyes, an eight might be a very good rating and a ten would require going above and beyond, while you might view eight as a less than excellent rating and give a ten as long as "everything was fine". This is why a one through five should be used instead of one through ten.

Edited by Cuizer2

Wow what a primitive and barbaric way to run a company :mad:

I guess it goes alongside not paying them an adequate wage and expecting guests, who have forked out a ton of money to top up those wages with enforced gratuities...not sure that would be tolerated here in the UK and yet we are supposed to be the ones who don't complain enough. I think companies should pay their staff the wages they deserve and tips (as here in the UK ) are a bonus, as well as , not instead of.

I think it is degrading for staff to have to do this in order to get what they are owed when the majority work so hard & non stop. The feedback forms should be used to shape customer service, not terrorise under paid workers.

Sorry you stopped cruising because of the 'primitive, barbaric, and terrorizing' conditions these employees are forced to work under....oh wait, NO you didn't.

I am on the 3rd May cruise, i have printed off our set sail pass and the Luggage tags which say, they are not real luggage tags, please use real luggage tags HELP where are the real ones:confused:

We have had the speech almost every cruise. When the speech starts I usually tell them I understand only 10 counts and they stop the speech.

As far as the actual survey I figure if they did their job they get 10's. If they went above and beyond and spent time talking with us I mention them by name in the comments. If I have a complaint I usually take care of it on board with the appropriate person above them if it's that bad and I can actually contact the proper person. Sometimes we just let things slide.

I think it's a matter of interpretation of what merits a 10. If you think of the middle of the range as being average, then an 8 is a very good score, and a 10 would be something exceptional. I'm sort of in that mindset that I don't often give the highest possible score, when I'm rating something, unless there was something about the product or service that really impressed me. If it was just "as expected," then I think and 8 out of 10 is fair.

I am not the poster you are replying to, but I feel like chiming in. Could the service have been a little faster? Could they have gone above and beyond and done more than what was expected?

To me, a 10 score should be reserved for when everything is perfect. If not, then how does somebody who goes above and beyond of what is expected get recognized for doing so?

This is one of the problems with these rating systems. The problem is, what is a ten? Is is "perfection", or is it "everything was fine"? In this person's eyes, an eight might be a very good rating and a ten would require going above and beyond, while you might view eight as a less than excellent rating and give a ten as long as "everything was fine". This is why a one through five should be used instead of one through ten.

Not sure that would make much difference. If I were inclined to give an 8 out of 10 rating, then I'd probably give a 4 out of 5 for the same experience on a 5-point scale.

This kind of rating system is USELESS if you can not rate the service you get as you thought then all you are doing is keeping the lazy people and nothing improves.

Rate as you wish but rate it as you feel it was not the way someone begs it to be.

Just as tipping should be based on the service you receive and not what the amount you feel is the norm. If service is bad tip as such if it is good tip as such if it is great than show your appreciation.

I think it's a matter of interpretation of what merits a 10. If you think of the middle of the range as being average, then an 8 is a very good score, and a 10 would be something exceptional. I'm sort of in that mindset that I don't often give the highest possible score, when I'm rating something, unless there was something about the product or service that really impressed me. If it was just "as expected," then I think and 8 out of 10 is fair.

I am not the poster you are replying to, but I feel like chiming in. Could the service have been a little faster? Could they have gone above and beyond and done more than what was expected?

To me, a 10 score should be reserved for when everything is perfect. If not, then how does somebody who goes above and beyond of what is expected get recognized for doing so?

This is what I am referring to. One person looks at a ten and says, I had no complaints, I'll give that person a ten for just doing his job. Another person says you have to go above and beyond to get a ten. Just doing your job rates an eight with me.

Both are giving different scores for the same work. The survey should ask why a certain score was given. Otherwise it like asking what color is better, blue or red. The answer is in the eyes of the person doing the rating, and that person may not view things the same way as the next person or the manager reading the ratings.

Not sure that would make much difference. If I were inclined to give an 8 out of 10 rating, then I'd probably give a 4 out of 5 for the same experience on a 5-point scale.

I agree.

I think expectations need to be changed. I can't recall if the survey is properly labeled, but there needs to be a different score for "everything was good" and "wow - was everything absolutely fantastic". Giving both the same score gives nobody any reason to aim for "absolutely fantastic".

This issue is not limited to Royal Caribbean. I got the same speech when I bought a car several years ago. If I didn't give the salesperson all 5's (their highest rating), she wouldn't get her sales incentive for my car. Every time I went for service, even just an oil change, same thing from the service people. They even went as far as putting a large flyer on the dashboard of the car reminding me before I left. Department stores, same thing..."please rate your experience (insert # here depending on the number scale used by said store).

Many corporations have decided to use their perception of perfection to rate their employees on all levels. I'm sure it saves them money because in so many cases, they withhold money or other incentives from their employees. By the same token, it annoys the consumer they are trying to keep.

On our October cruise, there was no need for (nor did we receive) any speeches from our waiter, head waiter or cabin attendant. On the other hand, the waiter's assistant only became helpful on the last night...a bit too late for him.

The speeches about needing a "10" rating is a recurring theme on our Royal Caribbean cruises. Staff retention and promotion is based on their reviews and ratings, so there is a lot of pressure on them to get good marks. I would generally think a 7 or 8 would be a great score, but it seems like nothing under a 10 counts, that a 9 or lower might as well be zero.

I have not always given a 10, but am more inclined to do so on board than I am when rating staff at work. In fact, if we want to give a staff member a 5 out of 5, we need to get sign off from the VP of our department.

If this issue is going to change on board, the change needs to start with management.

I know this used to be a huge problem with military fitness reports as well. People had to get exceptional ratings or it would count against them for promotions. Not everybody is going to excel at everything. It's unrealistic for management to expect otherwise. That's probably why there are heads of various departments in any particular corporation. The guy making the financial decisions is probably not outgoing like the guy running the entertainment staff. The F&B manager is probably not like the person running the art gallery. To expect everyone to excel at everything is just unrealistic. Management needs to have more realistic expectations.

If I do rate someone lower for something, I usually give a pretty thorough explanation for why I did so. I also point out the good things that happened with a particular experience or person.

I think the lore grows among the crew as well, though. They tell each other that if they don't get perfect scores, they are going to lose their jobs. Just like in any other segment of life, there are bullies who prey upon the weak and make them fearful.

If the measure by which one is rated is "below expectations, met expectations, or above expectations"- that is very subjective. What might "exceed expectations" for me might "meet expectations" for someone else. My husband and I do not require much upkeep on a cruise. As long as our cabin is straightened up (we try not to make too much of a mess anyhow), people are civil (not overtly rude), and the food is edible- we are usually okay. Everything above that starts going toward "exceeds expectations." If someone really goes out of their way to make the experience extraordinary, I will certainly mention it.

When asked to give extra feedback, please do so. I think it goes a long way toward helping the management appropriately adjust expectations.

Well...if you must know. I was the first one there (Saturday) and nobody came in while I was there. I had an 8:00 appointment but they didn't open the doors to let people in until around 8:15. Part of their "complimentary service" was a premium hand wash...when I picked up the car there was still visible lime dust in the joints where parts meet. They did not call to tell me the car was ready until 4:00 in the afternoon. Given that I had an appointment it doesn't seem like it should take them over 7 hours to do routine maintenance.

People were still pleasant to deal with and when I mentioned the time of day they gave the appropriate canned "I'm sorry" without looking up.

Nobody is perfect...I don't expect perfection in anything. However, since you cannot give me perfect service, don't ask for a perfect score.

Actually, when you look at most surveys the mid-range (5) score usually has "service met expectations" or similar wording as a scale reference...I should have given them a 5 across the board as they did nothing to exceed what I expected them to provide.

Actually, when you look at most surveys the mid-range (5) score usually has "service met expectations" or similar wording as a scale reference...I should have given them a 5 across the board as they did nothing to exceed what I expected them to provide.

on a scale of 1 to 10 a 5 would be appropriate if the service was given as expected.

I have gotten that from a car dealer before, but never from the cruise staff. I've had small comments like, I hope I gave you great service and that will be reflected in your survey, or something along those lines. Never gotten anything I would classify as "begging for a 10."

One car dealership actually offered first oil change for free, if I rated them all 10s, though. That wasn't enough of a bribe for me.

We recently leased from Kia and the sales guy actually showed us the survey and told us how to fill it out. He told us when check off all the boxes as 5/5 and send it in as if we shouldn't even read it.

Edited by CGoguen

I also have heard the talk but it has always been more an explanatory tone than either begging or worse, bullying.

I usually rate the categories as I see them BUT I will go out of my way to note people who excelled by name and a specific reference (ie: Table 353 - early seating).

As for service, I think we also need to consider the management aspect. On my cruise last week, the flavor of the steaks was excellent but the cut of meat was, kindly, mediocre. Do I blame the chef? NO, I blame the purchasing department.

Once or twice I have had really slow MDR service but I watched the staff and they were running around like rats on speed. Do I blame the overwhelmed wait staff or the corporate decision to understaff the MDR? I see the same thing in restaurants ashore and have often told the General Manager that his staff is excellent and his staffing decisions are horrible.

Unless some crew member is aggressively terrible I try not to ding anyone or any full department. If an individual is that bad (there have been a few) I have no problem letting management know. My Explorer fiasco two years ago, where I shredded housekeeping and Guest Relations, was proof of that.

Edited by JohnGaltny

Whenever they start to give me that speech, I like to tell them how happy we were with their excellent service, that we will certainly fill out the survey, and that they are number one (holding up 1 finger) in my book. They usually get a bit excited at that point and forget the rest of the speech.

We got the speech twice on Legend. Waiter and Head Waiter. When the HW started it, I stopped him and said we just heard it 5 minutes ago. ;)