Staff "demanding" good ratings?

I always give a 10 regardless of how the actual service is. I always write couldn't be better! Who cares. Give the employee the benefit of the doubt!

Unless there was something dramatic - just what I do. It's so much more significant to them than me. If there are areas of concern or opportunity - I prefer to address them with folks that are empowered to change/correct the issue. Not likely the waiter or room steward.

I sincerely appreciate the service industry at home and am well aware that folks live on tips. It's not for extras - it's to live on. I just tend to give the benefit of the doubt. Life is hard enough - no reason to punish the folks at the bottom.

I've heard this speech on vacation, the office supply, etc. I just smile and say - you were terrific. I'll let them know!

Just my two cents....

Years ago, when I was doing a lot on Holland America, their rating form only went to 9. Their reasoning was that a 10 means everything was perfect and they knew that was almost impossible. Hence 9 was the highest score meaning that everything was very good, but they still had things to work on.

LOL! No, just pointing out the irony. :D I should have used the cheeky grin on that post.

FYI i booked this cruise before i joined this board and as a cruising novice, i wasnt aware staff had to score 10 out of 10 to be rated. That they were paid low wages and were so dependent on tips. Will that influence future cruising, it might do, especially listening to some of the comments from some seasoned cruisers, maybe it wont be for me.:confused:

I am allowed an opinion and as someone who works with people to try and boost confidence and self worth it does seem barbaric. I understand in the USA many companies pay low wages , expecting employees to boost earnings using tips, different here im glad to day.

I have worked behind many bars and waited tables in my younger days and if i had to go cap in hand to people who i had served to ensure they tipped or scored me right i think i would feel humiliated and less worthy.

So unfortunately for you , not ironic, just not initially fully informed.

Have a nice day:)

I heard this speech for the first time this past February on the Allure. It was from the Head Waiter. He also said it about 3 times. It was very irritating. Our waitstaff was also pretty bad. It made me wonder if they knew we were unhappy, and that prompted the head waiter to say "the speech".

From my experience, the waitstaff/room stewards that know we are happy don't feel the need to tell us about the survey, because we usually mention how happy we are with their service a couple times throughout the cruise. For example, our room steward on that same Allure cruise was amazing. We told her that. She never mentioned the survey. Same with our room steward and waiter last year on the Oasis, and our dining room staff on the Radiance the year before.

I've learned to acknowledge awesome service throughout the cruise, and make it clear to them that we're happy. It's worked for me.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

For the benefit of those who DO believe these stories.... Had similar speeches and sometimes I just wonder if it sounds odd due to language barrier and also how awkward it feels having to beg your customer for good ratings.

(and FWIW, staff are paid very good wages compared to what they could make at the same job in their own country.)

Here's what I wish the head waiter would do... Since we are comparing this to car dealerships, I'll share what mine always says... That we might get a survey and if everything was a 10 to go ahead and do that survey. If it wasn't a 10, speak to the manager about what they can fix to make it a 10 before the survey is done.

My own opinion is that complaining or taking your frustrations out on an anonymous survey does absolutely no good. It doesn't fix your problem and it doesn't help the company figure out what they did wrong, other than establish a trend or find a global problem. However, if you are rating a "5" and everyone else is giving "10", your answer gets washed out as someone who is having a bad day.

Again, this is so much fluff... As with many things today, did they do the job right doesn't matter as much as the fact there was free coffee and popcorn.

Sorry, I studied statistics in university and one of the things I was very interested in was the uses and abuses of statistics. Ambiguous surveys drive me crazy.:rolleyes:

Edited by TBone2K

We received a similar speech not to long ago. Although our dining service was great, no complaints. The thing the waiter said that surprised me the most was that if you give the food a low score, it would negatively affect the wait staff. Although my meals were mixed, some great some average. I felt compelled to rate the food great because I didn't wanted to negatively affect our awesome wait staff.

I am not the poster you are replying to, but I feel like chiming in. Could the service have been a little faster? Could they have gone above and beyond and done more than what was expected?

To me, a 10 score should be reserved for when everything is perfect. If not, then how does somebody who goes above and beyond of what is expected get recognized for doing so?

I get your point. My question was given his comments what did they do to only warrant an 8. I don't give 10's out to everyone either but when they do what I ask of them and do it pleasantly and efficiently I see no reason to lower a score.

I don't believe for 1 second that the staff demanded anything, such drama

it is all in the tone of delivery and how the receiving party hears it. I HAVE been on the receiving end of a DEMAND before with the exact same speech delivered far less pushy by another person that same evening.

Well...if you must know. I was the first one there (Saturday) and nobody came in while I was there. I had an 8:00 appointment but they didn't open the doors to let people in until around 8:15. Part of their "complimentary service" was a premium hand wash...when I picked up the car there was still visible lime dust in the joints where parts meet. They did not call to tell me the car was ready until 4:00 in the afternoon. Given that I had an appointment it doesn't seem like it should take them over 7 hours to do routine maintenance.

People were still pleasant to deal with and when I mentioned the time of day they gave the appropriate canned "I'm sorry" without looking up.

Nobody is perfect...I don't expect perfection in anything. However, since you cannot give me perfect service, don't ask for a perfect score.

Actually, when you look at most surveys the mid-range (5) score usually has "service met expectations" or similar wording as a scale reference...I should have given them a 5 across the board as they did nothing to exceed what I expected them to provide.

Fair enough. Sounds like an 8 was a good score in this situation.

My husband tells them everytime (not just on cruises as we get surveys for everything now a days) that if they want a 10 they will have to earn it.

Just because there are no problems and service is adequate, IMO does not warrant a 10. To me a 10 is for someone who is exceptional and there are not many of them around any longer. Too overworked and under staffed.

I don't give much of anything or anyone a perfect 10... a scale between 1 and 10 is a big scale. What's the difference between 8 and 10? 5 and 8? To me 5 is doing the job and 10 is going above and beyond every single time. Under normal circumstances I don't give 10s out and honestly the discomfort I felt when they asked for one and were so serious about it, just made the experience even less of a "10" to me.

We received a similar speech not to long ago. Although our dining service was great, no complaints. The thing the waiter said that surprised me the most was that if you give the food a low score, it would negatively affect the wait staff. Although my meals were mixed, some great some average. I felt compelled to rate the food great because I didn't wanted to negatively affect our awesome wait staff.

the theory behind that is your waitstaff are supposed to notice if you are not eating or enjoying the food and to offer to bring you something else.

a few times I found an item to not be what I expected, or even just too rich, so it sat on the plate. once or twice the waiter would hover anxiously asking me if everything was okay.

that no longer happens as the wait staff just do not take the time any more to establish that familiarity. why that is is anyone's guess (too many tables, not enough support etc)

it's funny but ever since we started eating more meals in specialty, we don't get that hard sell on the last night any more.

In all our cruises including 19 with Royal, we've never heard that version of the 'speech' at the end of the cruise so I don't think it's rampant or a trend. It's always been 'If you enjoyed the service I provided I would appreciate your highest rating' or something similar. I've never received a demand.

I guess my husband and I are more category than other cruisers. We have sailed plenty and have heard the 'speech' about the survey but not with the 'heavy handed close to demanding that a 10 is given'. I have always been fortunate that the tone and words used were more like "I have tried my absolute best and hope that the service I provided to you was very good and I would appreciate if you would complete the survey and give me a very good rating'.

I can tell you from working in a field where surveys are a part of life....anything other than a 10 is like giving them a 'zero'. That is extremely sad, but often that is how it works.

I think that's why they feel compelled to explain it every time. To RCI a "10" is service as expected. Anything less means it was not good service. You're right that the world looks at a Likert type scale as the top being exceptional and moving down from there being OK all the way to really unexceptional at the bottom.

Their rating from 1 to 10 is a wrong way to do it in this case. They should, instead, have something like:

1. Great job and performed as expected. Please pay them what they earned.

2. Good job, but it could have been better. They should still get paid.

3. Did an average job. Pay them, but not worthy of any bonus.

4. Needs more training. You might want to find them a different job.

5. I'm thinking of switching to Carnival.

That would be more understandable as a metric.

Tom

My husband tells them everytime (not just on cruises as we get surveys for everything now a days) that if they want a 10 they will have to earn it.

Just because there are no problems and service is adequate, IMO does not warrant a 10. To me a 10 is for someone who is exceptional and there are not many of them around any longer. Too overworked and under staffed.

We got the speech twice on Legend. Waiter and Head Waiter. When the HW started it, I stopped him and said we just heard it 5 minutes ago. ;)

How awkward to have to listen to these speeches. We have our first RCCL cruise coming up in June, this is something strange to have to expect on the last night.

Frankly, if I take the time to answer a survey, then I will answer it honestly. On a 10 point scale, a 10 is very rare from me. There is always room for improvement. Besides that, to me, a 10 should be reserved for the absolute best. If you give average or good people a 10, then you are also marginalizing those that are great or fantastic!

If I get this speech, they will most likely lose a point for it in some area....because it will cheapen my experience to be put in such an awkward position of listening to this nonsense.

I try to nip it in the bud at the beginning of the cruise. A nice version of "Do your job and you have nothing to worry about ratings-wise. No speeches needed any further." And yes, I HAVE given less than the top score when problems were not dealt with and/or they continued on with the speech.

My favorite eyeroll moment was my first cruise to AK (and first and as far as I'm concerned last cruise on) HAL. When I'd cruised the Disney Dream in Feb, I had stocked up on their shampoo and conditioner (love it!! May have to ask sis if she can get me some...haha) for the HAL cruise as I already know from salons that their product does not work for me. I also had a DCL hoodie hanging up. And I have a plush Mickey that travels with me - like Flat Stanley but Plush Mickey - who I sat on the bed. The first morning I went back to the cabin after our 5K deck run and discovered not only my cabin steward and his assistant but also a supervisor WITH CLIPBOARD AND CHECKLIST in my cabin like they were trying to make sure everything was spit-spot. And still things were mediocre at best.

And yes, I will single out names of people who are EXCEPTIONAL for recognition. And this year I will know what the cards put in my cabin are for - there was no explanation given when they were dumped on my bed on the Radiance, so I ignored them. They wasted enough paper on ads, it doesn't seem that much more to EXPLAIN what these magical cards are.

Edited by WrittenOnYourHeart