TSA Pre-check!

bigsky

The deterrent is the money, but also it's kind of a pain to get it. I had to go in person to the airport and had to have an advance appointment. Weekdays only, and no evening hours. Basically I had to wait until I was off on a weekday but in town, which is rare. Took me 2 years to finally get it together.

Depends on where you are. Newark has Global Entry hours up to 9pm, weekends, and hours on Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's.

It is not an automatic. We have NEXUS and Goes and still randomly get checked or don't get TSA pre-check? More times not, than experiencing the Pre-check for some reason?

They do say you are not guaranteed precheck, or that you may be chosen for extra screening anyway.

Maybe this is different?

It's the same. Some people get it randomly, but it doesn't mean they'll get it every time.

Even when one has "official" Pre-check, by virtue of paying for Pre or Global Entry, it isn't guaranteed. Some number of people will still occasionally be randomly selected to go through the full screening, although it sometimes they will allow you to at least skip to the front of the regular line (depends on the airport and the staff). Also, sometimes the Pre line isn't open, so even if you have it, it might not be an option on a given day.

Also, I'll add a note of clarification here because a friend of mine was recently confused. She thought if she had Pre-check, it meant she could carry full sized liquids with her. I had to explain to her that she was still limited to the 3-1-1 rules; Pre-check simply means they can stay in your bag when it goes through the scanner. Similarly, even though Pre technically allows you leave your shoes and belt on, if either contains a lot of metal (enough to alarm the metal detector) you'll still have to take them off. I've seen some people get rather huffy about that.

Edited by waterbug123

So excited to learn about the TSA pre check today! Once we were standing in a long line at the airport, which can be normal at some. Someone mentioned this, but didn't know what it was. My friend today learned about this and informed me about it. It's good for 5 years. You fill out an application, supply fingerprints and pay your fee. If you're accepted, you can skip security check point lines. Just one trip a year is worth this! $85.00

This is the website if you have questions. Our local airport is doing it this week, and dh is on a trip. Have to travel a few hrs to another airport in a few weeks. This will save so much time!

https://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/apply

Maybe most know about this. I've been traveling for years and wish I knew about this sooner!

Thanks for the reminder on this! I'm thinking of getting this for DH. I've been getting the precheck boarding passes automatically now for a couple of years and sometimes they let my DH go through with me and sometimes not.

It always kind of irks him seeing me breeze through while he's still putting his belt and shoes back on. But watch, next time it will be him waiting for me,lol.:p

If you have TSA Pre unless there is an unusual circumstance you will always go through the line. However, they will randomly select people to do a pat down. No big deal.

Keith

Some might say an added thrill

They give it out randomly. I got it the last two times, my son got it once, the rest of my family didn't get it. So we all went through the long line.

I don't remember where I read it but one of the reasons I signed up for the program was reading that they were no longer going to be giving it out randomly, only to those registered in the program with a known traveler number. Here is one source that appears to verify that: http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/TSA-Ends-Free-Passes-to-Airport-Pre-Check-Lines

I don't remember where I read it but one of the reasons I signed up for the program was reading that they were no longer going to be giving it out randomly, only to those registered in the program with a known traveler number. Here is one source that appears to verify that: http://www.travelmarketreport.com/articles/TSA-Ends-Free-Passes-to-Airport-Pre-Check-Lines

Yes, I've been reading that in the flyer forums. It used to be an airline ff benefit but now they are changing over to a fee based program.

So excited to learn about the TSA pre check today! Once we were standing in a long line at the airport, which can be normal at some. Someone mentioned this, but didn't know what it was. My friend today learned about this and informed me about it. It's good for 5 years. You fill out an application, supply fingerprints and pay your fee. If you're accepted, you can skip security check point lines. Just one trip a year is worth this! $85.00

This is the website if you have questions. Our local airport is doing it this week, and dh is on a trip. Have to travel a few hrs to another airport in a few weeks. This will save so much time!

Maybe most know about this. I've been traveling for years and wish I knew about this sooner!

Better is to apply to "Global Entry" which includes TSA pre-check, plus Custom clearance. Just applied and it only cost $15 add'l (total $100) and it's also good for 5 years. Did this after seeing the long lines trying to clear Customs at Fort Lauderdale.

Better is to apply to "Global Entry" which includes TSA pre-check, plus Custom clearance. Just applied and it only cost $15 add'l (total $100) and it's also good for 5 years. Did this after seeing the long lines trying to clear Customs at Fort Lauderdale.

Don't tell everyone how good it is. :)

Keith

You don't really skip the the security check point, you just go through what is typically a shorter line. It doesn't require you remove your shoes, electronics, or your 3-1-1 liquids. That in itself makes the line move faster.

I definitely think it's worth the $85 for Pre-check, but if there was a closer place to have enrolled I would have preferred the Global Entry program. It gets you Pre-Check as well but is also useful if you're traveling internationally. I've heard some cruise terminals have Global Entry lines, but I haven't noticed one personally. (I've only been through Miami, San Juan, and Galveston ports in the last 2 years.)

Keep in mind that if you keep telling lots of people about Pre-check, the lines are going to get longer. :D ;)

On weekdays at Houston Hobby they now have three TSA-Pre check lines

This has been around for a few years now.

I agree it's worth the money.

It's not supposed to cover family but I just printed boarding passes and they all say pre-check.

My dh travels extensively so he is TSA pre-checked. I never applied for it since I don't travel that much. Whenever I fly with him, it is hit or miss if my boarding pass says pre-checked. When we flew to FLL, I was pre-checked for the flight from Chicago to FLL, but was not pre-checked on the way home. When we arrived at the FLL airport, my dh asked if I could still go through the shorter pre-checked security line even though my ticket was not TSA pre-checked. The TSA guy said no, but his supervisor was standing there and said that I could. So it's really hit or miss. Don't count on it every time if only one of you is TSA approved.

Edited by kalliekae

My husband and I have an appointment on the 1st to finish the process (fingerprinting and payment of fees) for the TSA PreCheck (KTN). Not sure if I want to go with the Global entry. While we will be coming into the US from Vancouver on our return from our Alaska cruise, not sure if we need to have this for any other reason. We have no other trips planned right now that takes us outside of the US. I'll bring it up to my husband and see what he thinks.

FYI - I could not find any information on the timing on the TSA Pre-Check FAQ Site. Can someone let me know does it take 4/6/8 + or how many weeks after submitting everything to get the KTN?

Thanks.

Pre-Chek is worth every penny! Fortunately, my company paid for mine due to the amount I travel, but I went ahead and got my wife signed up.

So nice not to have to take off shoes, belt, remove laptops, etc and the line is normally way shorter! $85 every five years is well worth it to avoid the hassle!

I can't wait to test & clear Customs on our upcoming Oasis cruise. Will by-pass thousands of Paxs.

Don't see how it will make it going through Customs quicker when getting off a a ship.

How do you plan on getting in front of everyone in line? It's not like you are going to have a card or anything for when clearing a ship?

Jimbo:)

Applied for global entry after reading a couple of other threads that said it was supposed to be put in place at all cruise ports this year. I'm not holding my breath, but the included TSA precheck benefit alone made it worthwhile for me. Applied online, received conditional approval within 48 hours and scheduled my interview at EWR for two weeks later. There were several agents on duty and I was in and out in 15 minutes.

Sailing from Miami next week. Understand that GE terminals aren't yet in place there, but read that if you wave your GE card C&I agents often wave you to the front of the customs line. Got my fingers crossed.