sneakers, nice jeans in dining room?

marc b

Sooooo, I saw there was an older dress code thread, but could not find the updated one. Quick question - can I get away with nice jeans (levis, but clean, dark and pressed), collared shirt and nice/new sneakers in the dining room any night? Don't want to start an ethical debate, probably need to be lectured, but please don't.....I read the "rules" on Celebrity's website, etc. Just curious as to what is really okay. I dress up every day to play professional.....would prefer not to on vacation, but if it is really enforced, will deal it...

Thanks in advance !

Just off 35 days on Celebrity. Most men on smart casual nights had Docker type pants, either short sleeved (Tommy Bahama type) shirt or long sleeved, buttoned down collar shirts. We saw some men in nice jeans, long sleeved, button down collared shirts and a few with jeans and polo shirts. Didn't see any sneakers but wasn't really looking.

Although we did not dine in the MDR because we were in an AQ cabin (therefore, Blu for us). I did wear new black New Balance running shoes every night in Blu, and 2 times each in Muranos and the Tuscan Grill. I also worn jeans the first and last night of our 11 day Equinox cruise.

Since the shoes were both brand new and totally black (no accent colors), I would be surprised if anyone even noticed them. BTW - - The reason I wore these shoes was because of doctor's orders. He told me a few years ago to wear running shoes only or be prepared to visit his operating room. A good incentive: I had foot surgery once, don't want to go there again.

FYI - - I did the same thing during a Princess cruise 5 weeks earlier, no problems. Although, we dined in the SRs only that trip.

Edited by sptrout

I wear sandals - Birkenstocks - always have and own nothing else. Wear black Birks with a suit and of course socks.

The only things that are forbidden is muscle shirts (singlets), shirts with objectionable sayings, swimsuits, and torn and anything obviously awful.

Same dress code everyone - there basically isn't one.

There is no guideline or rule regarding color of shoes. It's just a matter of what you feel comfortable in. ;)

Agreed. I wore black shoes to match my dark dress/Docker pants. Therefore, no tan or other colors of slacks. Made packing a little easier..... I think.

Edited by sptrout

we are in a sky suite, so probably should ask about luminae or specialty restaurants....i would have white nikes, so they would undoubtedly stand out....
I don't think you will have any problems. But I hope you won't mind a suggestion to buy some darker colored Nike's. They don't cost that much and you will look much nicer. I hope you have a great trip. :)

Nice jeans are now acceptable every night in every restaurant, even on chic nights.

White or coloured sneakers might be looked on unfavourably on chic nights by some maitre d's but there is nothing in the dress code about them so you will probably be fine.

I have worn my size 15 New Balance white shoes to the MDR on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity with no problem. I used to also take black New Balance shoes for dressy nights. Four our cruise last month, I thought, "White is Chic for me" and took two pairs of white.

My husband and I just got off the Connie. He wore jeans and (dark blue) sneakers in the MDR every Smart Casual night. I wore a collared shirt with no tie and Dockers-type pants most of them, and I often felt overdressed.

We got off Silhouette 2 weeks ago...

This was a pretty dressy crowd.

Saw very few people not AT LEAST in dockers.

DH wore dark pants every night. Nice short sleeve sleeve shirts except Elegant chic when he wore shirt & tie. He never looked overdressed.

Personally I have no issues with a pair of dark jeans & shoes. I would discourage light jeans & white shoes. But that's just me.

Whatever anyone else wears to dinner is their business and has no effect on my dinner!

Not for dinners or especially on shore, will mark you as a touron to pickpockets. Consider some deck shoes- Sperry Topsiders in either leather or dark canvas. A good look and good walking shoes.

Edited by zoncom

Sooooo, I saw there was an older dress code thread, but could not find the updated one. Quick question - can I get away with nice jeans (levis, but clean, dark and pressed), collared shirt and nice/new sneakers in the dining room any night? Don't want to start an ethical debate, probably need to be lectured, but please don't.....I read the "rules" on Celebrity's website, etc. Just curious as to what is really okay. I dress up every day to play professional.....would prefer not to on vacation, but if it is really enforced, will deal it...

Thanks in advance !

Yay American style lol

I wear sandals - Birkenstocks - always have and own nothing else. Wear black Birks with a suit and of course socks.

The only things that are forbidden is muscle shirts (singlets), shirts with objectionable sayings, swimsuits, and torn and anything obviously awful.

Same dress code everyone - there basically isn't one.

No shorts in Luminae.

What is the onboard dress code?

Formal Night gets a modern luxury reboot. Say goodbye to Formal Night, and hello to Evening Chic. It’s your time to shine—your way. Get glamorous. Get chic. Be sophisticated. Now, on up to two nights on every cruise, Evening Chic activities have been introduced, and Evening Chic attire has replaced Formal attire. While dressier than Smart Casual, Evening Chic is intended to be less dressy than Formal attire.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• A cocktail dress

• Skirt, pants or designer jeans with an elegant top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or designer jeans with a dress shirt, button-down shirt or sweater

• Optional sport coat or blazer

Evening Chic means that you can get glamorous and be sophisticated in your own way. If you would like to still wear a tuxedo or formal gown on Evening Chic nights, you absolutely should.

All cruises that are 7 nights or longer will feature two Evening Chic nights. Any cruise 6-nights or shorter will feature one Evening Chic night. All other nights of the cruise will feature Smart Casual attire. Celebrity Xpedition will continue to feature casual attire for the entire cruise.

Smart Casual attire can be enjoyed every other night of your cruise.

Women should feel comfortable wearing:

• Skirt, pants or jeans with a casual top

Men should feel comfortable wearing:

• Pants or jeans with a sport shirt that has sleeves

Note: T-shirts, swimsuits, robes, bare feet, tank tops, baseball caps and pool wear are not allowed in the main restaurant or specialty restaurant at any time. Shorts and flip-flops are not allowed in the evening hours. The dress code will be enforced at all restaurants. And guests are asked to follow the Smart Casual or Evening Chic dress code in the Celebrity Theater for all evening performances. The daily program, delivered to your stateroom and available at the Guest Relations Desk, will be your guide to the correct attire each evening.

The only shoe that Celebrity talked about is flip-flops.

If I was to wear sneakers to dinner in the MDR, Blu or Luminae it would be black. I normally wear leather boat shoes in blue or black. We just got back for a 7 night cruise eating in Luminae. One of those night we ate with the Captains staff member at Tuscan Grille. I wore my same clothing and leather boat shoes.

I personally would not be comfortable in white sneakers. I wear RL Polo jeans and polo's most nights.

I have worn my size 15 New Balance white shoes to the MDR on Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Holland America, Princess and Celebrity with no problem. I used to also take black New Balance shoes for dressy nights. Four our cruise last month, I thought, "White is Chic for me" and took two pairs of white.

I've worn New Balance 609's on every cruise 0n X and many other lines with now issues as well. White ones during the day and the black ones after 6pm. White just isn't chic for me.:)

I don't know about the OP's better half, but I'd be a bit crabby if mine wore tennis shoes to go out for a nice meal. He wears boat shoes or Miami vice type of white mocks.

I've seen people on our last cruise in Blu wearing tennis shoes & get turned away. It's up to the maitre d.

I don't know about the OP's better half, but I'd be a bit crabby if mine wore tennis shoes to go out for a nice meal. He wears boat shoes or Miami vice type of white mocks.

I've seen people on our last cruise in Blu wearing tennis shoes & get turned away. It's up to the maitre d.

Why would they turn someone away for wearing tennis shoes? I don't recall anything in the dress code that would lead u to believe they are not acceptable.

And I'm not going to comment on the first part of your statement.

Why would they turn someone away for wearing tennis shoes? I don't recall anything in the dress code that would lead u to believe they are not acceptable.

And I'm not going to comment on the first part of your statement.

My thoughts exactly!