Etiquette for children

ChristinaN

I'm trying to prepare our three boys for our upcoming cruise, they are veteran cruisers however given their ages (9,10 and 12) they will have a bit more freedom than our previous cruises. I've covered topics like elevator etiquette, running on board, being aware of your surroundings, remembering your manners, etc... They know that they will lose privileges should they misbehave. I'm just looking for more ideas of what to go over with them? Generally they are well-behaved, polite boys.

Start with the classic - "seen but not heard" Followed up with no swearing followed with yes sir and yes maam. Allow the adults to enter or exit first, hold the elevator door for the elderly or infirm.

I was going to say dress them as adults but then that would destroy their appeal. Dress them as adults used to dress and they will be the hit of the ship.

I'm trying to prepare our three boys for our upcoming cruise, they are veteran cruisers however given their ages (9,10 and 12) they will have a bit more freedom than our previous cruises. I've covered topics like elevator etiquette, running on board, being aware of your surroundings, remembering your manners, etc... They know that they will lose privileges should they misbehave. I'm just looking for more ideas of what to go over with them? Generally they are well-behaved, polite boys.

I don't know what it is with young kids and elevators. LOL. We run into this every cruise. I just boot them out. Now with that said, I'm now 48 years old and remember being at their ages playing in the elevators myself. Aside from that, sounds like you've got it covered. The fact that you even posted the question, if you were my Mom I wouldn't want to mess with you. Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Start with the classic - "seen but not heard"

Totally disagree. The outdated classic 'seen but not heard' does not teach children to behave and socialize as children, so as young adults they are unable to socialize properly.

No matter how good you raise them boys tend to be boys when they get together in a group...the following are some words of wisdom from my FIL who raised his share of boys...

"1 boy alone has a full brain, two boys together have half a brain between them and 3 boys or more have zero brains when it comes to common sense"

The God's honest truth....;)

Edited by Drazil65

Totally disagree. The outdated classic 'seen but not heard' does not teach children to behave and socialize as children, so as young adults they are unable to socialize properly.

Let me rephrase then. When we were of that age we were taught that we could be part of the conversation amongst adults if asked a question. We were not to be loud at table particularly in a restaurant and when wandering around, yelling and screaming as seems the norm today in way too many places was forbidden. I did not mean to be shrinking violets. Better?

Oh, my:eek:

Let me rephrase then. When we were of that age we were taught that we could be part of the conversation amongst adults if asked a question. We were not to be loud at table particularly in a restaurant and when wandering around, yelling and screaming as seems the norm today in way too many places was forbidden. I did not mean to be shrinking violets. Better?

Great clarification! And certainly appreciate the open-mindedness. I was raised in the strictest scene of the 'seen and not heard', which took years to undo. I work human resources, however it is an exercise not to revert to that sense forward.

We appreciate your thoughtful parenting. We will be on this cruise with your family!:)

I think that person probably understood that no one wants to restrict communication with adults as long as they are respectful (in both words and volume). My son, now 31, used to hang out at the Atrium bars drinking virgin drinks and talk to the other patrons who happened to be there. He especially loved finding World War II veterans to talk to. He learned at a very early age how to behave in a group setting.

To the OP...the fact you are asking this question speaks to your excellent parental skills! Don't worry...if your kids do something stupid (like playing with the elevators) the earth will continue to rotate.

Agreed. Ever since she could talk at 1 1/2, my dd has never met a stranger. She would strike up a conversation with anyone anywhere. She was always very polite and people loved her.

Sounds like you've done a good job already. You don't need any advice from strangers who don't know your kids about what they should and shouldn't do. Basic manners is all that's necessary. We take our kids and drill the same set of rules now as we did for the first cruise 4 years ago. They don't have to be perfectly well behaved. Nobody is. It's o.k. to let loose and have fun. And you can still keep good practical manners in place while doing that. I do stress safety a little more with my oldest now that he's 13 and allowed a little freedom. Go and have fun!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

To the OP...the fact you are asking this question speaks to your excellent parental skills! Don't worry...if your kids do something stupid (like playing with the elevators) the earth will continue to rotate.

Thank you. There is something about pushing the elevator buttons that all kids like. I don't get hives when I see them in the elevator with me. Instead I ask them to push the floor I wanna go on and ask them if they are having a good time. Works out great! Life goes on.

Respect. (Yes, the song is now going thru my mind....and probably yours) anyhoo, one perfect example: we were standing in the pizza line one evening. A group, adults and kids, were standing off to the side. As the line was waiting for their turn, the employees started putting out pizza. A boy, about 15, steps out of that group to the head of the line and takes a plate. No one in his group batted an eye. I've also been in an elevator where 3 kids were pushing all the buttons. I just looked at them and asked "why?" They just kind of looked at me like "dang, caught". Lol

Kids need to respect their elders. Parents need to teach their kids this. Seems like so many younger people have the "me first" attitude. Dang, sounding like an old person. Moving on....;)

I just wanted to say, that I have done several cruises, some with my kids many without.

I have found that children/teens are better about behaviour, manners and have more appropriate conversation then many adults do on a cruise.

Kids wait their turn, hold doors, wash their hands, use their manners, and are generally happy and excited to be away.

Adults often shove past people, scoff at washing their hands, demand things rather then ask and can sometimes be ungrateful and entitled while away.

I think your boys sounds like they are seasoned travelers and they will enjoy and appreciate the upcoming trip! Enjoy it and have a wonderful time together as a family! Safe Travels!

I would tell them that under absolutely no circumstances are they to go into someone else's cabin.

And nobody is to go in their cabin.

A few years ago, my son and nephew cruised with us. They had their own cabin.

Found out after the fact that a young lady they met at the bar went back to the cabin with them.

I couldn't believe it. They would not have hurt her, but she didn't know that.

My only suggestion is to know where they are and just be a parent. We recently cruised on a spring break and I swear those children were on board by themselves. The best behaved children will change when in a pack of their peers especially ones who they don't really know. Pushing elevator buttons, knocking on doors and running, making a mess at the ice cream machines and wasting pizza, standing in front of people trying to watch a movie, just a few of the incidents we saw and encountered. Usually we don't even notice the children on board but for some reason this year they were intolerable.

I would tell them that under absolutely no circumstances are they to go into someone else's cabin.

And nobody is to go in their cabin.

A few years ago, my son and nephew cruised with us. They had their own cabin.

Found out after the fact that a young lady they met at the bar went back to the cabin with them.

I couldn't believe it. They would not have hurt her, but she didn't know that.

Tell them to stick together, no one travels alone. A cruise ship IMO, is like a mall. Most people are looking to have a good time, but there can be dangerous people anywhere. The poster above made a good point. My DDs are 13 & 15 and I insist in security in numbers.

Now that I've scared the pants off you:eek:, have a great cruise!

I just wanted to say, that I have done several cruises, some with my kids many without.

I have found that children/teens are better about behaviour, manners and have more appropriate conversation then many adults do on a cruise.

Kids wait their turn, hold doors, wash their hands, use their manners, and are generally happy and excited to be away.

Adults often shove past people, scoff at washing their hands, demand things rather then ask and can sometimes be ungrateful and entitled while away.

I think your boys sounds like they are seasoned travelers and they will enjoy and appreciate the upcoming trip! Enjoy it and have a wonderful time together as a family! Safe Travels!

This

We've had no problems with kids but have run into a few ding dong adults that don't deserve respect.

Agreed. Ever since she could talk at 1 1/2, my dd has never met a stranger. She would strike up a conversation with anyone anywhere. She was always very polite and people loved her.

Good for her. I am the same way (definately get it from my mom :)) I can be standing in a line in the store and next thing you know having a nice conversation with someone.

No matter how good you raise them boys tend to be boys when they get together in a group...the following are some words of wisdom from my FIL who raised his share of boys...

"1 boy alone has a full brain, two boys together have half a brain between them and 3 boys or more have zero brains when it comes to common sense"

The God's honest truth....;)

Having raised 2 of each . I would raise 10 more boys , before I would raise another girl

How about no running and screaming down the cabin halls at night or afternoon when people are trying to sleep/nap/relax.

I just got home from a 14 day cruise today. The only issue I saw were kids running. They were just playing & chasing each other inside & out but there were older adults around that they could have knocked down. My DH was in a scooter & they also could have been hurt if they ran into him. A couple of times, we hollered for them to walk don't run & they did stop running & gave us a funny look. I felt like everyone else was afraid to tell them to stop running. I didn't see anyone playing in the elevator. They were a little loud but I guess that's being with friends without parents around.

If they are good kids, I don't see why they will be bad on the cruise. Normal manners work on cruises.

As for the elevators, tell them they are kids and don't get to rise on the elevators. Heck, I don't even use them. Quicker to take the stairs and better exercise.

Edited by Hoosierpop

How about no running and screaming down the cabin halls at night or afternoon when people are trying to sleep/nap/relax.

...or any other time. If you have a balcony, close the door carefully. Keep the cabin neat. It's a small space and 3 sets of shoes on the floor will be a hazard.