What kind of cruiser are you?

John&LaLa

Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?

• Loyalist: I have one preferred cruise lines and try to sail on it whenever possible
    • Cruise Sampler: I enjoy experiencing what different cruise lines offer
    • Deal Driven: I don't prefer any specific cruise line, it's more about finding the best possible deal
    • Ship Driven: My decision is based on the ship age, design, and features
    • Destination Delivery: My selection is based on which cruise line offers the destination I want
    • Companion Driven: I usually choose my cruise line based on who I am travelling with

Im not sure what kind of cruiser I am. itinerary is the very last reason why i cruise. I dont care where the ship goes. We could go out of sight of land and sail in big circles for all I care. I DO like port days when most everyone leaves the ship though.

Im glad we have four stops on my upcoming cruise as I plan on staying on the ship a lot this trip. Ive been to two of them (Cozumel 4 times and Costa Maya 1) already and I cant disembark the ship at Belize. The only place I will get off the ship is Roatan. We have a Victor Boddens "best of roatan" tour scheduled. My first ever excursion. Im sure I will be a little nervous because a. its not ship sponsored and b. my biggest fear is missing the ship, but Victor Bodden runs a very dependable company from what Im hearing and reading. We are looking forward to it.

Edited by ryano

When we book cruises we look at itinerary first, then the price, then the ship. Some people want to cruise on the big ships just to say they did it. We cruise for the itinerary. I don't care what ship gets me there.

But some ships won't take you there :o

I am a planner/researcher. :D We consider the ship the destination first....then the itinerary. If we boarded an old, run down ship, we would not be very happy.

Avoid Empress and Her Majesty :eek:

I look at destinations first, then try to find good deals. I love exploring new destinations or places I haven't been to in a long time. After sailing DCL for three consecutive cruises we are looking forward to trying some different cruise lines in the next couple of years.

Thanks for the poll John. Id say I am mostly deal driven. Hence the reason Im on Carnival Magic this year and not a Royal ship. The cruise budget was smaller and I found an incredible deal on Magic and then later on was able to add my 5 year old nephew (turned 5 yesterday) for 179.00. His taxes and gratuities were more than the cruise fare LOL :o

I cant wait for him to experience his first cruise and Magic should be a great ship for him!

I selected "Deal Driven", but how we choose is actually a combination of two things. I want the best deal for the itinerary I want.

Regarding itinerary: we're trying to hit as many different ports as possible, so it would have to be a unique (or extremely discounted) itinerary to get us back to the Caribbean.

Cruise line selection is low on the list, although so far we've stuck with the most mainstream lines. Ship selection doesn't even come into play.

I really hate that term.

Does it apply to other lines or is it just a catchy RCL phrase?

Oh, any idea why the first response ended up in Italics?

I don't see the italics.

Thanks for the poll John. Id say I am mostly deal driven. Hence the reason Im on Carnival Magic this year and not a Royal ship. The cruise budget was smaller and I found an incredible deal on Magic and then later on was able to add my 5 year old nephew (turned 5 yesterday) for 179.00. His taxes and gratuities were more than the cruise fare LOL :o

I cant wait for him to experience his first cruise and Magic should be a great ship for him!

You're welcome. I actually thought about doing it after we got off Freedom in March, but life got in the way.

Good luck with your nephew. Bringing our 8 year old grandson really changed our routine. Putting Laura in her own cabin definitely made it more manageable. We would not have survived with 3 in a cabin. :eek:

Edited by John&LaLa

Where we go and how we get there is important to us, neither of us want to go on an Oasis class (just too big), Navigator class is ideal, Freedom class works, so we check where those class of ships are going then decide which depending upon destination.

The only exception to that would be the up coming Empress cruise where we booked that solely on the ship not caring where we went.

I chose cruise sampler but I'm really somewhere between that and loyalist, usually look at RCL first but sometimes just decide to do something different just for a change.

Julie

For me it is pretty much a tie between destination and ship and then it comes down to price shopping. If I really want a certain destination sometimes I will compromise on the ship but I try to make the ship and distination both work to my liking.

Good luck with your nephew.

Thank you :) Im up for the challenge I think. We have a spacious accessible 4J oceanview cabin with plenty of room it seems. He is a good boy and loves to be around other kids. He will very likely want to be in Camp Carnival from daylight to bedtime LOL.

Edited by ryano

I really hate that term.

Does it apply to other lines or is it just a catchy RCL phrase?

I really don't mind being called a loyalist. It's true, I am loyal to Royal. I've sailed on Carnival, Norwegian, Celebrity and Royal. I used to be loyal to Celebrity but after I lost my cruise partner I switched to Royal. First I didn't want to deal with the memories on Celebrity, and Royal is a better deal for a solo cruiser. I'm sure she would understand my switching to Royal.

Can't give a definite answer.

Not a loyalist. We sail multiple lines, choosing the one that best fits the bill at the time.

Not companion driven. DW and I always sail together, sometimes with our adult children.

Our profile is a combination of the other choices listed.

I get that there are multiple facets, but the RCL survey only allows one answer.

For those following on cell phones that can't see the poll, Loyalist is leading with 48%, followed by ship driven with 23%