What kind of cruiser are you?

John&LaLa

Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?

• Loyalist: I have one preferred cruise lines and try to sail on it whenever possible
    • Cruise Sampler: I enjoy experiencing what different cruise lines offer
    • Deal Driven: I don't prefer any specific cruise line, it's more about finding the best possible deal
    • Ship Driven: My decision is based on the ship age, design, and features
    • Destination Delivery: My selection is based on which cruise line offers the destination I want
    • Companion Driven: I usually choose my cruise line based on who I am travelling with

Ship first then price. Royal sucked us back in starting with Voyager Class. Before that we were like cruise line nomads.

We got sucked in with a Voyager ship as well. And we were also Nomads back in the day.

Definitely deal driven - with a few exceptions, I never have my heart set on any one itinerary or ship and have been know to change one booking to another if something better comes along. I do have an overall favorite line, Princess, but I really like to switch lines up. It would drive me crazy to sail exclusively with one line. I usually take a Caribbean cruise the end of Feb - this year it's late because of work - but that is about as much advance planning as I do.

Ship first then price. Royal sucked us back in starting with Voyager Class. Before that we were like cruise line nomads.

The same happened to us. Back in the day we just had to try one of those big Voyager class ships to see what it was like. It was Explorer that got me hooked on RCI.

Edited by Ocean Boy

I guess that we are somewhere between deal driven and destination driven. I really hate that question on the survey though, and have a hard time telling Royal (or any other business for that matter) that we are loyalists.

The same happened to us. Back in the day we just had to try one of those big Voyager class ships to see what it was like. It was Explorer that got me hooked on RCI.

For us, it was Voyager out of Miami. Same thing.

Tough question (for me), but I finally decided...

Ship first then price.

I'm one who generally doesn't care where we're going. Getting On The Ship(!) is the thing.

But I will not pay money to get on an old ship or a small ship (say less than 110' girth). Been there done that, and either of those factors can put me off for the entire cruise.

Price is always a major consideration. But first and foremost, I'm only going to consider a limited selection of ships.

I voted Loyalist because I can use my C&A points for discounts. But I must admit I am also looking to sail on other cruise lines for a change hence my 2017 booked cruise on NCL's Escape. :D

I see which lines go where we want to go and then find the best deal. There are only a few cruiselines I won't consider (HAL, due to age of passengers, and DCL because of their ridiculous prices) and the ship is after that.

So I guess I'm destination, deal, ship.

I selected Loyalist simply because as of right now we have only cruised with Royal and will probably stay that way until we hit Diamond or Diamond plus.

Right now we are only able to cruise every couple years. We are familiar with Royal and like the product. We are worried if we try another cruise line we might not like it and feel like we wasted our vacation time.

Once we are able to cruise more often then we will try other cruise lines. Who knows maybe at that point we will find something we like better and then stick with them for awhile!

I selected Loyalist... but to be fair, I would like to sample other cruise lines, its my DH who is the Loyalist.

I am not ready to cruise solo, my cruise friends and family are loyalist. My other friends can't afford the time or money to cruise or some just flat out refuse.

So for now I am a sampler stuck in a loyalist vacationer.

My answer is probably a mix, but I voted Loyalist.

I have sailed twice with Royal and I love their ships. They are just so classy, beautiful, the best entertainment and I love what they offer. So I fear that if we were to try elsewhere, that we would be disappointed. Having said that, we would consider Disney again as long as our kids are younger (but price is a factor as they are much more costly). And I do look around at other posts, reviews at the swimming area....things like waterslides, rope course....more in terms of what would keep our kids most occupied and interested. But...for our cruise, we went with Allure...I'm almost scared of straying away. When you are putting that much money into something (and we don't do these kind of big holidays often), you don't want to be less than happy

Edited by LuCruise

I'm about itinerary, destination definitely not the Caribbean. In early 80s I started with NCL, switched to Princess and RCI. I sailed RCI last year, Regal Princess TA this year and 2017 RCI to Australia. In 2018, I'll be back to Princess for South America.

Sailing single, I book my cruises very early and always had price reductions applied for those thinking booking early is a bad idea. I've tried Carnival, Celebrity and Costa and can't say I would sail them again, maybe Celebrity if the itinerary fit but it would have to be a "knock your socks off" price! :D

We choose based on the itinerary. So far, Royal Caribbean has provided the best experience. However, in August, we will be on our first HAL cruise, chosen for the 14 day Alaska itinerary, and next year we are planning a Celebrity cruise.

For us, it was Voyager out of Miami. Same thing.

Yes, back then Voyager , Explorer, and Navigator all sailed out of Miami alternating eastern and western itineraries. Explorer and Navigator would dock bow to bow and sail on Saturdays with one heading west and the other heading east and Voyager sailed on Sundays. I can remember Explorer and Navigator getting into some good horn battles.:)

I voted loyalist, but that is a little misleading. I am a loyalist only because my line of choice (RCI) checks off most of the other boxes as well. I can sail out of a port close to home, I think their ships are far better than other options, I like where they go so far, and I am comfortable in mix of passengers on most of my cruises. Plus now that I have at least a few loyalty perks, those are of some value to me as well. If I quit enjoying what RCI had to offer, I would shop around more.

If I do stray from RCI in the near future it will likely be due to a special itinerary. Looking to do a Panama Canal cruise and may need to shop around for that one as I cannot find a good RCI sailing. Celebrity is looking like a possibility there

I am truly surprised how many loyalists there are. (not saying that's a bad thing), just saying I am surprised. Everyone is different. I can honestly say we have never had a bad cruise. Ever. Doesn't matter which cruise line we are on. I guess we like variety and trying different things. Heck, we even tried NCL'S Breakaway, our first "Freestyle" cruise, and guess what? We really enjoyed eating in different venues every night. (a couple of them were al fresco) Very enjoyable.

Soooo, my question is.......are you a loyalists because you don't "want" to try anything else or you have, but like RCCL the best.

I'm a loyalist now. When I began cruising I sampled other cruislines depending on where their ships went. After sampling most different cruise lines I settled on Princess. I'm just very comfortable with the ambiance I find on Princess' ships.

Itinerary for a main cruise; price and availability for a last minute one.

We don't mind the older ships if they're going somewhere exciting- Thomson in the Red Sea was excellent, despite the ancient ship, and we fancy Marco Polo- nothing older!- for Iceland. :cool:

I have a preferred cruise line that I look to first and would rather cruise on, but that choice is in large part made by a deal -- it offers me terrific value on many voyages. And my choice is also often driven by itinerary - I usually want the maximum number of sea days with the least number of port days.