What kind of cruiser are you?

John&LaLa

Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?  

210 members have voted

1. 1. Which statement best describes how you decide on cruise lines?

• Loyalist: I have one preferred cruise lines and try to sail on it whenever possible
    • Cruise Sampler: I enjoy experiencing what different cruise lines offer
    • Deal Driven: I don't prefer any specific cruise line, it's more about finding the best possible deal
    • Ship Driven: My decision is based on the ship age, design, and features
    • Destination Delivery: My selection is based on which cruise line offers the destination I want
    • Companion Driven: I usually choose my cruise line based on who I am travelling with

I chose "sampler" since we have sailed on many different mainstream lines (Carnival, HAL, Princess, Celebrity, Norwegian, and Royal Caribbean). That said, I generally look at Princess first and HAL second and we've stuck to them for the past few years.

My first priority is getting a cruise that fits our budget for DH's vacation dates. After he retires this summer, it will be easier. He teaches at a community college, so his dates are very fixed--not much flexibility.

Guest maddycat

I chose Loyalist. We've tried several different cruise lines and find that we prefer RCI. We're diamond plus crown and anchor members and really enjoy the perks. However, we no longer want to fly so it is equally important that RCI sails out of our home port.

We shop around, but our go-to line is Celebrity (28 cruises). We would cruise more with Oceania, Azamara, and Cunard, if we could score some deals!

We will cruise NCL (if we have the UDP and the UBP). Holland America will do in a pinch (hate their smoking policy). Royal Caribbean is ok. Princess, not so much.

Crystal, Seaborne, Silversea, Regent -- some day?

Enjoy!

Kel:)

I must be the odd duck here as I am " Homeport " loyal.

We don't fly.

I love having a port 1/2 hr from my door.

Count me in that category as well. $20 taxi ride home.

Remember, I didn't create the categories, just copied from Royals survey

Edited by John&LaLa

When we book cruises we look at itinerary first, then the price, then the ship. Some people want to cruise on the big ships just to say they did it. We cruise for the itinerary. I don't care what ship gets me there.

That is how we choose a cruise as well. But I don't think we'll ever cruise on a ship with more than 2000 people.

We're looking first at destination/itinerary, but are 'semi-loyalists'. We've cruised extensively on Princess, Celebrity, and RCI and have good rewards with all of them, so whichever of their ships is going where we want to go, when we want to go, and at a reasonable price gets our business. We eliminate some lines from consideration because of cost and others for other reasons - HAL because of their smoking policy, Carnival because of 1 cruise which we really didn't enjoy.

So I am different as I typically last minute cruiser due to work. Always book within max three weeks out and typically need to leave on a specific date. I live on the road so airfare is not an issue so my search is usually leaving on a particular day what is available across all ports/lines

Itinerary first - then the ship. No longer a sampler as we've pretty well sampled most mass market lines. Loyalist does not appeal - sticking with one line is too limiting. I sail with my wife, so the companion question is resolved. Deal only AFTER deciding on itinerary and ship -- while it makes sense to save money, there is no point in doing something you will not enjoy as much just to save a few dollars.

I am entirely destination driven. I know I'm an odd duck because I couldn't care less what entertainment is on the cruise in general. (the exception is a music festival cruise where the moving concert is the entire point of the cruise) The ship is just a floating hotel for me, I'm all about the ports of call and stuff that's going on outside of the ship.

I also prefer small ships because they go to more interesting - to me - ports.

My next cruise is to Greenland and the Canadian high arctic, with Lindblad. I've also cruised Princess, Celebrity, and Norwegian Cruise Lines.

I reluctantly chose one answer, but really one answer is not enough. We normally put equal weight on itinerary and deals; ship possibly third. I'd put itinerary first, but practically we can't do some itineraries unless it's a good deal.

Ship is not as important to us for main stream lines, except possibly when taking kids.

I chose loyalist reluctantly, because although I do like RCI, I still see the flaws so I am not blindly loyal.. I also have enjoyed my cruises on Celebrity and Princess, I just like Royal better. I am also a bit hesitant to try other lines, because I know I will like Royal, but would I like these other ships?

We do plan on straying to do an NCL to Bermuda out of Boston cruise because of the price, port and length of time in Bermuda. But if RCI offered that same itinerary, I would probably go with them. We have done the 5 day out of Cape Liberty, just not enough time in Bermuda.