Does RCCL have Marmite?

I accidentally picked it up thinking it was jam and licked the excess off the knife! Nearly passed out....:eek:

Give examples as to how you eat the stuff....please.

I've had it in Australian (Vegemite) spread very thinly with a light hand on buttered toast with hot tea. The butter is the key. It seems the fat helps counter some of the punch. I can eat it, but it definitely tastes better in Australia than Arizona.

I accidentally picked it up thinking it was jam and licked the excess off the knife! Nearly passed out....:eek:

Give examples as to how you eat the stuff....please.

on toast, with butter. marmite spread really thin. my favourite sandwich is toast plus butter and marmite and freshly sliced tomatoes with a tiny bit of salt.

on sandwiches, with Philly/cream cheese. usually you'll have a sandwich filling like sliced cucumbers too.

hot marmite tea: a dollop in hot water. good thing when you're sick with the flu. vitamins plus liquids.

i use it as a soup base and sometimes when making brown gravy.

in the UK, there are even these snacks called twiglets, think something like cheetos, but instead of bright orange cheese, there's a very thin marmite-flavoured coating.

can really add it to any recipe that calls for salt and pepper. it's got a bit of the taste of both. it's an all-around in the kitchen.

Marmite and Vegmite are yeast extracts and are pretty similar tasting just made by different companies. In New Zealand, Marmite was made by Sanatarium while Vegmite was made by Kraft. They have been called Australian chocolate, mainly due to the color, but definitely not the taste.

The best way to describe the taste is just to say terrible. However, there are quite a few people who enjoy it, so it is an aquired taste.

Great to play tricks on people with, giving them some and then watching their expressions as they taste it. :D

Have seen it on cruises out of Europe and out of Australia, never out of the US. If it's important that you have it I would take some with you just in case.

Edited by Bobal

Marmite is made from the excess yeast produced when brewing beer (a good start in my book!). The Guinness factory in Park Royal used to have Marmite lorries going in and out all day. It is a good source of vitamin B. It is regarded as umami in terms of the basic flavours. It is very salty and an acquired taste and absolutely gorgeous! I was brought up on Marmite rusks. Great in a sandwich with strong cheddar cheese.

Edited by SteveH2508

even the tv adds make use of the fact that a lot (perhaps even the majority hate it) the others love it. The adds end with love it or hate it? We even had marmilte easter eggs this year (when I say we - I don't me - I am in the hate it camp lol). Those that love it and are not vegetarians seen to also like Bovril a beef based similar thing ugh!

Edited by fragilek

Have seen it on cruises out of Europe and out of Australia, never out of the US. If it's important that you have it I would take some with you just in case.

Don't take it with you, it's on the list of stuff you cannot take into the USA due to it's yeast ingredient. I have actually had this on a ship in the US, Explorer doing the New England/Canada route so maybe it came on in Canada. It's usually in the windjammer with all the bottled sauces, if you don't see it as a member of staff as there may be some in the kitchen.

Learn something new every day on CC. I guess I won't be looking for it in the on board jewelry shop! :D

You can buy it at Cost Plus if you'd like to try it. I can see why it might sound like a semi-precious stone. : )

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/marmite.do?&from=Search

The reviews are interesting.

Edited by JoyMouse

Marmite...

evil nasty stuff, how could you even suggest it is on the same cruise ship as me??

As soon as I saw that question I thought, oh dear, a Brit asking such a question - how could they? :mad:

Dear friends across the Pond...The great Marmite debate

Marmite should be banned - it is evil stuff and lots of us (sensible) Brits hate it. There are, sadly, some foolish Brits who think its nice...they are weird, and the 'hate Marmite' Brits try not to mix with the 'love Marmite' Brits.

It has divided our fair Country, it has caused families to fall out and never speak again, the first time a poor baby is forced to try it - their face is a picture

So may I suggest next time you meet a Brit on a cruise, ask them if they love or hate Marmite - and then just sit back and enjoy the side show for the next 10mins..

The above, of course, is said in jest...sort of, coz Marmite IS nasty!!:eek::D

Jean

Edited by Jeannie333333

Marmite and Vegmite are yeast extracts and are pretty similar tasting just made by different companies. In New Zealand, Marmite was made by Sanatarium while Vegmite was made by Kraft. They have been called Australian chocolate, mainly due to the color, but definitely not the taste.

The best way to describe the taste is just to say terrible. However, there are quite a few people who enjoy it, so it is an aquired taste.

Great to play tricks on people with, giving them some and then watching their expressions as they taste it. :D

Very wicked, but very funny :eek::D

Marmite...

So may I suggest next time you meet a Brit on a cruise, ask them if they love or hate Marmite - and then just sit back and enjoy the side show for the next 10mins..

The above, of course, is said in jest...sort of, coz Marmite IS nasty!!:eek::D

Jean

The little boy's face at the end of the "rescue" video is priceless. Thank you for sharing.

Don't take it with you, it's on the list of stuff you cannot take into the USA due to it's yeast ingredient. I have actually had this on a ship in the US, Explorer doing the New England/Canada route so maybe it came on in Canada. It's usually in the windjammer with all the bottled sauces, if you don't see it as a member of staff as there may be some in the kitchen.

Errrm - not true ;) - https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

We were on Indy a year or two ago right after she came over from Europe and they had it on board at that time. Not sure if they keep it stocked while in the US or just had it "leftover" from being out of Southampton.

Have not seen it on other RCI ships here in the US.