Why do we need to take a cell phone charger?

winowino

We're packing to go on our very first cruise! Ocean Princess, Alaska. We are also new smartphone users, iPhone 5s. We can't figure out why everyone takes phone chargers. We just plug ours into our wall charger at home every night. Will e not be able to do that on the plane and cruise ship?

How much would a wall charger cost? How much space will it take in your luggage? What percentage of your total cruise cost will it cost you to buy a charger? Are you ever going to travel with your cell phone?

Just go out and splurge and buy a charger.

DON

How much would a wall charger cost? How much space will it take in your luggage? What percentage of your total cruise cost will it cost you to buy a charger? Are you ever going to travel with your cell phone?

Just go out and splurge and buy a charger.

DON

Or just bring the one that came with the phone.

I keep waiting for the OP to come back and 'splain!

I do not know how some of you get days on a charge. Mine even new (S6 Edge Plus) needs charge after hours not days. I do have MANY things running all the time and frequently am in a low signal area which also uses up battery.

What do you need explained. The OP's residence has built in USB ports in the electrical system. They use those to charge their devices, no extra chargers needed. They want to know if those wall sockets are available on the ship. The answer is no, so they need to bring the chargers for their devices. It is not a difficult question or unreasonable at all.

We have three Ipads (ones a Pro) and two 6's so you can bet we have charging cords. And that doesn't even count two cameras and a mini speaker. I am always happy when I get through security as I expect them to ask what all those cords are :p

What do you need explained. The OP's residence has built in USB ports in the electrical system. They use those to charge their devices, no extra chargers needed. They want to know if those wall sockets are available on the ship. The answer is no, so they need to bring the chargers for their devices. It is not a difficult question or unreasonable at all.

As you can see by the number of posters who were confused by the OP's question that many of us didn't know what he or she was talking about. I don't have USB ports in my walls at home I suspect that's the case for most of us. We don't even have those at my office and I were for a high-tech company. Not sure what the issue is with bringing the "charger" if the OP is referring to the plug you use to charge a typical iPhone. They're about an inch square, so not like it takes a lot of room.

We have three Ipads (ones a Pro) and two 6's so you can bet we have charging cords. And that doesn't even count two cameras and a mini speaker. I am always happy when I get through security as I expect them to ask what all those cords are :p

Do you like the Pro? I was about to get one last X-Mass, but I wimped out and bought the iPad Air2. Probably get the Pro this winter.

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry if I confused some of you. As I'd said in my thread, we are new smartphone users, lots to learn, so thanks for your patience. I will of course be bringing my little charger that came with my phone. I had just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other charger that was needed, & your replies indicate "no."

We're new smartphone users, iPhone 5s. Getting ready to go on our first cruise. I'm worried that our cell phone battery won't last through a day of photo taking. I bought a Pocket Juice, 2000 mAH rechargable portable cell phone charger. Is that safe to use on my iPhone?

Do you like the Pro? I was about to get one last X-Mass, but I wimped out and bought the iPad Air2. Probably get the Pro this winter.

Not who you originally asked, but I swapped my 9.7" iPad Air 2 for a 9.7 iPad Pro. I really like the Pro, but I enjoy the sketching / art tools.

Your iPhone 5s came with a cord to plug one end into the phone and the other end into an electric outlet or a UBC. That is what you should take with you.

I have an iPhone 6 and DH has an iPhone 5s, and we each bring the charging cord that came with our phones.

I don't know anything about a "Pocket Juice, 2000 mAH", but I have had a cell phone since 1992 and I have always brought the charger that came with the phone whenever I travel.

Edited by SPacificbound

I think you are talking about the little external batteries, right? I have something similar I bought for my long flights to the Middle East and Kenya. Used it to power my iPod. Should not be an issue. They are nice to have if you think you may need a charge and are not near an electrical socket to plug into with your cord (with the little block plug you can get from Apple for around $19).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you all for your replies. Sorry if I confused some of you. As I'd said in my thread, we are new smartphone users, lots to learn, so thanks for your patience. I will of course be bringing my little charger that came with my phone. I had just wanted to be sure there wasn't some other charger that was needed, & your replies indicate "no."

Nope, all you need is what came in the box with your phone.

the only electronic device i ever have trouble traveling with is my white noise sound machine. every time i fly with it they spend a lot of time with it. oy!

winowino I think you're asking about an external battery. Yes, I would bring that in addition to the wall charger. An external battery can be very handy if you get into a situation where your phone is running low. Be sure to bring the right cable to charge your battery, in addition to the iphone cable. The battery I use uses a micro USB where your iPhone will need a lightning cable. Same charger will work for both, though.

That said, a new iPhone 5s should be fine for a day of use including taking pictures. As it gets older battery life seems to decrease.

Nope, all you need is what came in the box with your phone.

Not true anymore. Some do not provide the "plug", but just the cable. You either have to 1)charge via a USB port or 2)use a plug you already have form another device or 3)buy a plug to attach to your cable.

We're new smartphone users, iPhone 5s. Getting ready to go on our first cruise. I'm worried that our cell phone battery won't last through a day of photo taking. I bought a Pocket Juice, 2000 mAH rechargable portable cell phone charger. Is that safe to use on my iPhone?

Those are fine. Don't think it'll fully charge the iPhone from 0%. We use larger PNY portable batteries/chargers. Work well when out and about.

These batteries can power anything that uses an USB. We've plugged our fan into it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Edited by SadieN

Not true anymore. Some do not provide the "plug", but just the cable. You either have to 1)charge via a USB port or 2)use a plug you already have form another device or 3)buy a plug to attach to your cable.

Well, the plug is an accessory as I see it. All that's needed is the cable from the box - assuming! the OP has something to plug the USB end, into, i.e. a laptop. If s/he doesn't have said laptop, then yes they would need to buy the USB/AC plug; OR they can borrow one of mine.

Edited by Treven