Crab Shack Question?

esquire20

Has anyone had experience enjoying the Crab Shack on the Star? Tell me about your meal.

I have not had it on the Star but if you're not aware of it prices for specialty restaurants have increased & is being discussed on this other thread.

Just got off Ruby Princess today.

Crown Grill is now $29 from $25

Crab Shack is now $29 from $20

Info for those planning dinners at either of the restaurants.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2353399

Edited by Astro Flyer

Posted earlier no replies. Please, please what is a hush puppy? I am looking forward to trying out the Crab Shack on Regal next month.

Someone on another thread said it was a deep fried piece of dough.

Deep fried pieces of corn-bread type batter. It's a Southern US thing. I don't know if you know corn-bread in your country? It's quite good!

Wil give them a go. Try anything once. Thanks for your reply.

It's a fried cornbread ball. The name is attributed to cooks who would fry some basic cornmeal mixture for fish or chicken and feed a small fried portion of the batter to their dogs to "hush the puppies" as they begged for food in the kitchen or around the campfire. It's served mostly with seafood, even in the chain restaurants like Long John Silvers. Good hushpuppies have seasoning in them and can even be mixed with jalapeño, crab, onion, etc. The ones in the Crab Shack are pretty pedestrian but serve as a nice complement to the whole "crab boil" feel.

I'm a hushpuppy fiend. It's my kryptonite.

250px-Hushpuppies_5stack.jpg.c5e3197a43491a8d820b12bf69f2ddd3.jpg

Edited by figmentdj

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to bump this thread and go back to the original theme. Does anyone think the crab shack is worth doing once? I've been on several cruise, mostly on Princess, but have never done it but always wanted to try. Is it worth it? And can you eat at the crab shack then eat in the main dining room or vice versa? Assuming I could eat that much food lol!

Yes, totally worth it. Our last 15 day cruise, we went twice! We are thrifty cruisers and won't go to other specialty restaurants, but Crab Shack is worth the money. And yes, you can go to the MDR for another meal, but I think you'd be too full to eat. Maybe just go for dessert.

Have never done this. Sounds really good! Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

Where do you sign up for the Crab Shack, and when? When first boarding or later?

I'm going to bump this thread and go back to the original theme. Does anyone think the crab shack is worth doing once? I've been on several cruise, mostly on Princess, but have never done it but always wanted to try. Is it worth it? And can you eat at the crab shack then eat in the main dining room or vice versa? Assuming I could eat that much food lol!

We've done Crab Shack 3 times and enjoyed each "large" dinner. Yes you can eat in the MDR also. However, if you are capable of this feat I suggest entering the Nathan's July 4th Hot Dog eating contest. :D Crab Shack is very filling and although we've never done it, I've read you can always ask for more.

I just called the dine line as soon as we boarded. I also saw a table set up on some days outside the buffet, but you have a better chance of getting your preferred time if you book early.

Thanks!! We're definitely going to do this when aboard the Royal in January. Wow, another fun thing to look forward to. January is starting to seem a LONG way away.....

We enjoyed the Crab Shack but there's no way we could eat another meal on that evening. :p

I've read posts that said it's increased from $20 to $29 and is now the same price as the Crown Grill & Sabatini's.

We enjoyed the Crab Shack but there's no way we could eat another meal on that evening. :p

I've read posts that said it's increased from $20 to $29 and is now the same price as the Crown Grill & Sabatini's.

Still makes Princess specialty dining cheaper than most of the other cruise lines in particular Celebrity

We were on the cb last week and it was still $20..

We were on the cb last week and it was still $20..

We were on the May 11 Island cruise and it was $29.

Apparently like other changes, the price increase has not yet been implemented fleetwide but eventually it will probably increase.

We sailed on the Crown shortly after their website increased the price from $25 to $29 for the Crown Grill & Sabatini's. The CG was still $25 but may have been increased since our cruise 6 weeks ago.

• 3 months later...

The link was really helpful. Question...does anyone know whether they steam/boil the crabs & crawfish in the same water as the clams, mussels, potatoes & corn? My DS is allergic to crustaceans but not mollusks. He loves clams & mussels (and escargot). Of course we would verify with the head waiter before and not take a chance if there was any uncertainty but just wondering if anyone knew.

Were you on the Island Princess? I was wondering if they did the Crab Shack on it. TY[/QUOT

We were on the Island Princess in April 2016, and they had the Crab Shack several nights. We (a party of 10) had it and all enjoyed it. I would guess a similar dinner in a Seattle Restaurant (like the Crab Pot) would cost close to $50 per person. Only problem is that there was way to much to eat!. :eek: