New to Azamara, anything I should know?

Wendy The Wanderer

Last departure is usually 9:30am, but for a small fee you can remain on-board until sometime around midday, maybe even have lunch in Windows.

Thanks. We don't want to stay on particularly late, but want to miss the hordes heading for the train into Rome from Civitavecchia. A 9 a.m. walk-off sounds pretty civilized to me.

• 4 weeks later...

I've read here somewhere that there may be desk at the dock where we can book specialty restaurants. Since it's only a 7-day trip, is there any reason why we shouldn't just book one each at the two restaurants? We have a suite so could book as much as we like, but I'm assuming that the MDR is good too, plus there's the White Night buffet, and the Patio (is it?)

Thanks. Getting close--in two months we will be on the ship!

I've read here somewhere that there may be desk at the dock where we can book specialty restaurants. Since it's only a 7-day trip, is there any reason why we shouldn't just book one each at the two restaurants? We have a suite so could book as much as we like, but I'm assuming that the MDR is good too, plus there's the White Night buffet, and the Patio (is it?)

Thanks. Getting close--in two months we will be on the ship!

That's what I'd do, one night each. With only 7 nights your calendar will fill up quickly!

That's what I'd do, one night each. With only 7 nights your calendar will fill up quickly!

Bonnie

They often ask suite guests only to book just two nights in the terminal and handle the rest once onboard so they can deal with the maximum guests in the terminal. We have no problem doing this and have had no issues getting tables though maybe having to flex Prime C/Aqualina round - not an issue for us.

It varies, sometimes you can book more than 2 sometimes not. Seems to depend on which restaurant manager is onboard but bottom line it has not given issues. If they are running the two booking rule we do night one and any night that really matters (birthday, anniversary etc)

Thanks for the replies. Not having done Azamara before, these restaurants are all new to us. And we're used to the Regent "democratic" rule initially limiting visits to one each so that everyone can have a try. We'll book them early and then if we love one of them, we can try to squeeze in a second night.

Our Azamazing evening is now some kind of ersatz country fair in Sorrento, "a bespoke Festival of Piedigrotta at Agrumento Gardens", instead of an evening of opera (which suits me fine.) I assume we'll have dinner first and then go on to the evening's adventure, right?

(P.S. I find it annoying that my login with our booking on the Az website insists on saying "Hello David", despite it being my reservation, and my credit card that's paid for things. I know this is not just an Azamara problem, Regent does the same, but it's absolutely sexist, imho.)

(P.S. I find it annoying that my login with our booking on the Az website insists on saying "Hello David", despite it being my reservation, and my credit card that's paid for things. I know this is not just an Azamara problem, Regent does the same, but it's absolutely sexist, imho.)

Hmm, I'm not seeing the same when I log in. Mine says hello to me, though it lists my husband on the reservation as well. But I also know there are multiple ways to "log in" and see information (since I've failed at finding things one way only to be taught here how to find it another way....)

Thanks for the replies. Not having done Azamara before, these restaurants are all new to us. And we're used to the Regent "democratic" rule initially limiting visits to one each so that everyone can have a try. We'll book them early and then if we love one of them, we can try to squeeze in a second night.

Our Azamazing evening is now some kind of ersatz country fair in Sorrento, "a bespoke Festival of Piedigrotta at Agrumento Gardens", instead of an evening of opera (which suits me fine.) I assume we'll have dinner first and then go on to the evening's adventure, right?

Hi

Where are you seeing the change of information re the Azamazing evening? Everything I am looking at is still saying the Teatro evening which personally we would prefer but will as ever take what we get and will no doubt enjoy it anyway. Its just the musical evening really is something I have wanted to go to somewhere in Italy!

They do usually have a Surf and Turf special in the MDR on White Night but as practically the whole ship is up on deck having a great time at the White Night barbecue, it is very quiet in the MDR. I don't think there are other special menu nights but then the food is all good anyway.

Phil....Indian night again in September? :D

Yes, it's all great, but having Indian night and Surf & Turf in the MDR the same night on my Athens/Venice Journey cruise in June was like Sophie's Choice for me. I finally decided to do the MDR then swing by Windows for a little hit of tikka or curry before going to the show. I ended up with neither the time nor appetite to do both and given the lack of Indian restaurants where I live, I'm still sad about having to choose. I hope it won't be the same on next summer's trip!

Melissa

Yes, it's all great, but having Indian night and Surf & Turf in the MDR the same night on my Athens/Venice Journey cruise in June was like Sophie's Choice for me. I finally decided to do the MDR then swing by Windows for a little hit of tikka or curry before going to the show. I ended up with neither the time nor appetite to do both and given the lack of Indian restaurants where I live, I'm still sad about having to choose. I hope it won't be the same on next summer's trip!

Melissa

personally i would of dropped by the buffet at 630 then gone had a drink and dinner before the show at 945.i often get starters from there then go to dinner.

Would've, could've, should've! Good idea if I face that quandary again!

Oh you will. I go to the Tapas bar and get a sna k and drink. Later get to starters for dinner and done. One night I went to theMDR and just had snails and a salad. Could I more snails. Yum

Is there anywhere you can find out what events are planned onboard, before going to the port, or do you only get that info with the first shipboard newletter?

You only know about the date of the Azamazing evening in advance

Is there anywhere you can find out what events are planned onboard, before going to the port, or do you only get that info with the first shipboard newletter?

White Night is pre planned but gets moved due to weather. it is an outdoor event that is just not the same inside. In june it was canceled but many women wore white as we had it packed. ladies all over the ship looked lovely in white.

if a port day not as much planned things on board unless Christmas.

Hi

Where are you seeing the change of information re the Azamazing evening? Everything I am looking at is still saying the Teatro evening which personally we would prefer but will as ever take what we get and will no doubt enjoy it anyway. Its just the musical evening really is something I have wanted to go to somewhere in Italy!

This is the September 30th sailing, right? I just went to my booking, and went through the baroque website, logged in, past Check-in Online, selected the booking, then went to the excursions tab and chose Saturday October 1st in Sorrento. And there it was, "Traditions of Old Naples". I quickly cancelled the one and booked the other. I wouldn't have minded, but David hates opera.

But the Teatro Armida is also listed.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

This is the September 30th sailing, right? I just went to my booking, and went through the baroque website, logged in, past Check-in Online, selected the booking, then went to the excursions tab and chose Saturday October 1st in Sorrento. And there it was, "Traditions of Old Naples". I quickly cancelled the one and booked the other. I wouldn't have minded, but David hates opera.

But the Teatro Armida is also listed.

A couple of years ago it was the Traditions of Old Naples then they started to have it as the event in the Theatre - which is not really opera more popular music. I think it was possibly the Old Naples event when this cruise was first offered. Certainly a website glitch but which evening are we having - who knows, they might have gone back to the other one. I never book to go on the evening as you do not need to so I will just leave it all "as is" and see what we actually go to on the 1st!

• 2 weeks later...

So I got our Cruise booklet online, and I managed to order luggage tags, so everything is good.

In six weeks we'll be in Rome!

And yes, the Azamazing Evening will be a surprise! If it's the music, I'll go and David will give it a pass. It's not the opera music he dislikes, it's the voices, so even popular music, sung by trained operatic voices, is just not his cup of tea.

We have been on six Celebrity cruises. We have booked our first Azamara cruise for next March. Are there formal nights on Azamara?

Hi Tom47

I am a newbie too. From what I have read the Azamara ships are resort casual and have no formal nights per se. However, there is a White Night during each cruise when white attire is encouraged but not mandatory. [emoji3]

Denise

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hi Tom47

I am a newbie too. From what I have read the Azamara ships are resort casual and have no formal nights per se. However, there is a White Night during each cruise when white attire is encouraged but not mandatory.

There are no formal nights. While white attire is encouraged for the White Night party it is not only not required it is intended to be very casual, not white tie or white dinner jacket or the like.

Thanks to both of you.

Tom

Hello Tom,

I love the fact that there are no formal nights on Azamara although people usually look very nice in the evening.

Occasionally if I am in the mood I may dress up a little more if I am going to one of the speciality restaurants for dinner but the lovely thing is that there is no requirement to do so.

Enjoy your first Azamara cruise.