New to Azamara, anything I should know?

Wendy The Wanderer

Back to OP's original questions, Wendy (and Dave), I am familiar with your postings on these boards, so I think our cruising styles are similar. Anyone who loves the Paul Gauguin as much as you (and we) do will love Azamara. Similar ship and amenities and a comparable relaxed atmosphere. As for excursions, again much like the PG: ship excursions are well done and comparatively reasonably priced, but many people book private excursions as well. So a mix.

For me, jam first then cream. I am now yearning for a warm scone with raspberry jam ( don't like strawberry jam) and clotted cream.

H....afternoon tea at The S is now a must for next week! :)

Of course jam first then cream. And you are right raspberry is so much nicer than strawberry.

Afternoon tea at the S next week is a date

Well, I've learned a lot from all these posts, thanks!

NC&KY, I suspect you are right, we're going to love it. We in fact are foregoing a PG trip for this.

Cream teas--I have gained many a pound partaking tea on the RSSC ships, pounds that I have had great trouble losing, and some of which I never did lose. Fortunately our short 7-day trip is port-intensive enough that I think I can stay away from the teas.

White Nights sounds great--how would I find out when it's scheduled? I'm just learning to navigate around 'My Azamara'. Do you have to dress in white? :)

Our roll-call is moribund at the moment--perhaps an opportunity for a shared limo from/to Rome, but that's about it. We have looked over the excursions. At least in the tendered ports we will choose the Az excursions, in case of cancellation. Not sure about Taormina and Port Empedocle and I'm torn about Malta--want to see Mdina but also want to see the Co-Cathedral. I'm thinking we could do a morning excursion then just walk back into town and see the cathedral on our own in the afternoon, or stay in town after the excursion.

We love sharing tables--when we're in the mood. Too bad about the specialties not doing this, but it works that way on R as well. We will probably just try each place once and see how we like them. Don't care for Toscana on Oceania much, even though I love Italian. And I wonder how Prime C will compare to Prime 7 on Regent.

Oh, and another question--do ship's excursions fill up quickly? Since we've booked kind of late, we can buy excursions any time--should we hurry to do so?

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

I'm been researching Malta for my upcoming Celebrity cruise. There is a Hop On Hop Off bus that covers Valetta and Mdina. I haven't really looked into it, but it sounds like it might be what you want. [My problem is that Connie doesn't arrive until 2 pm and things start closing at 4. That's why Azamara's "port intensive" approach is so good!]

We are on your cruise, we have just added the booking - we were already on the next two but got led astray by some others on board on the transatlantic- they know who they are :rolleyes:

We will be soon be thinking about excursions. What I would say is Malta, I lived there in the early 90s and have not been back since 1997 so will no doubt see a big change. Yes you have to see Mdina but anything in Valletta you can do yourself. I am sure there will be lots of really good local guides who could take you to Mdina and also some of the other little places (though they might not be little now!!) I would be cautious about the HOHO bus, it certainly will give you an overview of the island but most of the town areas are pedestrianised.

Because many people have onboard credit and land discoveries credit and they now forbid you to book ahead and switch the booking to credit onboard, it is hard to say whether there will be availability of everything on board. There used to be no problem, but people were not all trying to book onboard so the cruiseline could call up additional capacity earlier.

White Nights will be decided on board, they tend to take late decisions depending on the weather which is sensible. People have something white on, but it might just be white beads....there is no need to pack a special outfit, I have a dress that I also use on other nights

Edited by uktog

Thank you uktog, perhaps we'll meet on the roll-call and on the ship!

One more important question that I forgot to ask.

What is the risk that Azamara will suddenly cancel this itinerary in favour of a charter? I know they've had a bit of a reputation for doing this in the past.

I'm a bit worried about booking my air. Is there any risk at all at this point? Does it become moot after final payment date?

(Interesting that they've forbidden re-booking excursions on board with credits--Regent allows this. Doesn't matter to us, we don't have any.)

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

Well, I've learned a lot from all these posts, thanks!

NC&KY, I suspect you are right, we're going to love it. We in fact are foregoing a PG trip for this.

Cream teas--I have gained many a pound partaking tea on the RSSC ships, pounds that I have had great trouble losing, and some of which I never did lose. Fortunately our short 7-day trip is port-intensive enough that I think I can stay away from the teas.

White Nights sounds great--how would I find out when it's scheduled? I'm just learning to navigate around 'My Azamara'. Do you have to dress in white? :)

when you get on board there is a daily planner in room telling you when it will be. .but they do change it due to weather. or move it inside. it is always a night we sail 10 or later. about half the ship wears white- many cruises more than half. fun seeing all the white.

Our roll-call is moribund at the moment--perhaps an opportunity for a shared limo from/to Rome, but that's about it. We have looked over the excursions. At least in the tendered ports we will choose the Az excursions, in case of cancellation. Not sure about Taormina and Port Empedocle and I'm torn about Malta--want to see Mdina but also want to see the Co-Cathedral. I'm thinking we could do a morning excursion then just walk back into town and see the cathedral on our own in the afternoon, or stay in town after the excursion.

finding all the june cruises quiet over all. in Malta i would stay in town. when i can i do Taormina lovely. . i would take a taxi to town and see the ruins-you have to pay and then do a nice lunch and shops. Malta i am stil deciding what i want to see. as i never been back there.

We love sharing tables--when we're in the mood. Too bad about the specialties not doing this, but it works that way on R as well. We will probably just try each place once and see how we like them. Don't care for Toscana on Oceania much, even though I love Italian. And I wonder how Prime C will compare to Prime 7 on Regent.

Oh, and another question--do ship's excursions fill up quickly? Since we've booked kind of late, we can buy excursions any time--should we hurry to do so?

I have been on Regent and I do not remember food anymore. you can always share with new friends or eat in MDR that does sharing tables. also try the chefs table. there are 3 and just pick one and enjoy it.

Thank you uktog, perhaps we'll meet on the roll-call and on the ship!

One more important question that I forgot to ask.

What is the risk that Azamara will suddenly cancel this itinerary in favour of a charter? I know they've had a bit of a reputation for doing this in the past.

I'm a bit worried about booking my air. Is there any risk at all at this point? Does it become moot after final payment date?

(Interesting that they've forbidden re-booking excursions on board with credits--Regent allows this. Doesn't matter to us, we don't have any.)

Given many of us are past final payment, I would say charter chance is zero

I'm been researching Malta for my upcoming Celebrity cruise. There is a Hop On Hop Off bus that covers Valetta and Mdina. I haven't really looked into it, but it sounds like it might be what you want. [My problem is that Connie doesn't arrive until 2 pm and things start closing at 4. That's why Azamara's "port intensive" approach is so good!]

Valletta has one of the prettiest sail ins/outs.

Phil

Valletta has one of the prettiest sail ins/outs.

Phil

Yes its going to bring back so many memories - our flat overlooked the bay and my sons used to wave to all the ships going in and out They would have loved a wave from a big Azamara hand I am sure, though the toot from the Captain Morgan guys was a daily enjoyment.

I think I will be quite emotional on that sail in - 25 years later......

Agree with Uktog that Mdina is well worth a visit.

On our last cruise to Malta, Azamara offered a "Night in Mdina" excursion. It was truly atmospheric and thus memorable.

At some point, looking forward to seeing it in the daytime.

Wondering if we can just do the HoHo bus and see Mdina that way, plus spend time wandering in Valletta. Or take a ship's tour to Mdina in the morning and make it to the Co-cathedral in the afternoon.

Last admittance to the Co-cathedral is 4:00 pm. "The Malta Experience" has shows at 3pm and 4pm. Other sites in Valletta are open later.

Wondering if we can just do the HoHo bus and see Mdina that way, plus spend time wandering in Valletta. Or take a ship's tour to Mdina in the morning and make it to the Co-cathedral in the afternoon.

Eminently possible to do this. You can pick up the HOHO bus at the port. We did this last time we were in Malta.

Thanks Spursgirl. I had read some negative reviews of the companies there, so it's good to have a popular one. I suspect we'll take a ship's excursion in the morning and walk into Valletta in the afternoon.

Anybody know how I can book the Chef's Table? I can't seem to find the place to do it online.

Thanks Spursgirl. I had read some negative reviews of the companies there, so it's good to have a popular one. I suspect we'll take a ship's excursion in the morning and walk into Valletta in the afternoon.

Anybody know how I can book the Chef's Table? I can't seem to find the place to do it online.

Chef's Table is booked on-board, as are specialty restaurants.

RUN! to book it. fills very fast on some cruises not on others.

I presume there is a mix of North American power outlets and europlugs in the cabins? Are they adequate given camera and tablets charging?

yes they are for me.. i charge daily. i do not always take a camera as i use my phone for pictures. there are more plug then before

I know not everyone has access to a suite but if you do there are two USB chargers on the underside of the bedside lights. Many folks miss them. They are ideal for overnight phone charging.

I know not everyone has access to a suite but if you do there are two USB chargers on the underside of the bedside lights. Many folks miss them. They are ideal for overnight phone charging.

Not just in the suites, balcony cabins definitely also have them & I suspect all cabins with the new bedside lights

Yes we are in a suite, thank you. I just had a thought--most electronic chargers do the conversion in the little plug at the end, right? But with USB charging, most devices get plugged in directly--does the USB port itself handle the conversion? (Nerdy thought of the day.)

We usually travel with one camera, two phones and at least one tablet, but we have always gotten by on cruises. We have adaptors for hotels, of course, although they come in handy on cruise ships too.