Liberty of the Seas - just got busted for a power strip!

Can you bring an extension cord? I need one for my CPAP machine.

Royal Caribbean will provide an extension cord and the distilled water, if you let them know at least 30 days before your cruise.

Edited by ccmg

I use a belkin 3 strip with 2 usb charger built in. All the time on the ship and never have a problem. Using it right now on the Grandeur.

This! Have had one of the for my last 4 cruises. I never even knew they were illegal.

Also, I'm guilty of bringing the iron aboard, not sure if it's how I pack it but I've brought it since my first cruise in 05. It's always on top, plain view, if opened.

I use a belkin 3 strip with 2 usb charger built in. All the time on the ship and never have a problem. Using it right now on the Grandeur.

Just so you know, though, if it does have surge protection, it may be a fire hazard. "I do it all the time and have never had a problem" is pretty much classic bad thinking. The problem is that, if something happens and the surge protection is needed, it might not work properly with the ship's electrical system and actually make things worse rather than better.

I don't know the details of that particular item, so I don't know if it's safe or not.

Just so you know, though, if it does have surge protection, it may be a fire hazard. "I do it all the time and have never had a problem" is pretty much classic bad thinking. The problem is that, if something happens and the surge protection is needed, it might not work properly with the ship's electrical system and actually make things worse rather than better.

I don't know the details of that particular item, so I don't know if it's safe or not.

I have that same travel charger. It does have surge protection (and an indicator). It is not safe for marine use.

• 4 months later...
On the naughty table for pickup at the end of the cruise last week there was a brick. First of all why would you pack a brick? Second, and you filled out a form to get it back? Would love to know the story behind that one.

Okay, I realize this thread is a few months old, but I laughed out loud at this! OMG - hilarious! I would also love to know the story behind it. Thanks for posting this - I really needed this laugh today. You guys are great! :)

Okay, I realize this thread is a few months old, but I laughed out loud at this! OMG - hilarious! I would also love to know the story behind it. Thanks for posting this - I really needed this laugh today. You guys are great! :)

Me too!!! Maybe they picked it up at a port stop and wanted to take it back as a souvenir??? :confused:

So glad I saw this thread. Was planning to bring a power strip for my CPAP machine. I had no idea re: special needs and it's too late now. I'm used to just bringing a cord and using spring water when I travel. First time cruising with the machine.

So if I understand correctly if I get a power strip WITHOUT surge protection that will be ok to bring on board?

You all are great.

Thanks!

We are now on board and out at sea as I type this.

One of our bags failed to show up - at 7:30 we inquired and told it was in "security." Turns out it was the four unit power strip. We were down on deck 1 with the other scofflaws who had smuggled on irons, steamers and a bottle of Scope mouthwash.

Learned something today

Otherwise, it was a very good day. Check in was a breeze. We were sitting down to lunch before noon.

Interesting. I was on Liberty last July and had 2 strips, no surge, in my bag. No issues!

My wife also had an extension cord in her CPAP case, no issues there either. You'll need the extension cord on Freedom class, at least our balcony cabin, as there are no outlets on the bed side of the room.

Edited by tonyweir

Lots of cpap/cord posts lately-

I always pack an 8' extension in with my CPAP and never had a problem in about 8 cruises since I was 'issued' mine. My cord has 3 plug ins on the business end, but is not a surge suppressor. Just a UL approved cord with a 3 way end. Decent gage, not one of those thin, cheap ones.

One time Royal had run out of cords when I first used my CPAP, so I carry one now. I figure if they do ever confiscate it, and then can't provide me one, I can ask them to go get mine back from the naughty room.

And no I could not find an outlet by the headboard on Liberty like they have on Oasis class.

On the naughty table for pickup at the end of the cruise last week there was a brick. First of all why would you pack a brick? Second, and you filled out a form to get it back? Would love to know the story behind that one.

Maybe it was from an historic building. I've seen this in my travel and being offered online. ;)

I once brought back from a cruise a quarter brick size piece of marble floor tile I found on a scrap pile of building material from the renovation work at the Palace of the Grand Master of the Knights of Rhodes.

This was the palace during the Italian rule of Rhodes that was a holiday residence for the King of Italy, Victor Emmanuel III, and later for Fascist dictator Benito Mussolini, whose name can still be seen on a large plaque near the entrance. Either could have once stepped on that tile.

I still have it on a shelf beside my computer desk right now and no, it wasn't confiscated when I re-boarded. :D

Edited by robtulipe

• 1 month later...
I had the exact same experience last week on Serenade. We were ready to walk off the ship when they swiped my card and that loud horn/noise blared out! I had really forgotten about the power strip they'd confiscated on day 1. Just had to walk over to the table and grab it and we were on our way...we had always taken one with us on previous cruises without an issue but security told me it was a fairly new item on the "banned" list...

Doesn't work that way in PC. The naughty table is outside Terminal after you clear customs.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Royal Caribbean will provide an extension cord and the distilled water, if you let them know at least 30 days before your cruise.

I sleep with a CPAP too so I'm happy to hear this. When I DON'T use a CPAP I snore like a chainsaw so my roommate will appreciate it too hahahah - seriously, thanks for the tip!

We are now on board and out at sea as I type this.

One of our bags failed to show up - at 7:30 we inquired and told it was in "security." Turns out it was the four unit power strip. We were down on deck 1 with the other scofflaws who had smuggled on irons, steamers and a bottle of Scope mouthwash.

Learned something today

Otherwise, it was a very good day. Check in was a breeze. We were sitting down to lunch before noon.

Maybe we have just been lucky, but instead of bringing a power strip, we bring a couple of those short extension cords that have multiple outlets on the receptacle end. Never had a problem yet.

Edited by clean1owner

Can you possibly give us an update on the internet there? Supposedly VOOM is now available and a lot of us would like to know if this is true.

Since it seems you have internet at sea, could you do a speed test on the internet and post here? RCCL told me that Voom would be active as of May 1 on Liberty. I have a sailing on Liberty later this year.

Thanks!.

We were on Liberty in October. Voom was advertised and sold. We bought the voom surf & stream so that we could stream a college football game on the Saturday, not only could you not stream anything it was quite possibly the slowest and worst internet speed we have ever had on a ship. It reminded me of the days of dial up. We tried streaming from both the internet and the cbs sports app and still no go. We checked several apps to see if it was just the cbs sports app but it was definitely the wifi connection. We also tried several places on the ship to see if it was our location and that made no difference either. We were able to listen to the first half of the game through the Internet through an on-line radio station but it would freeze up and we would have to keep reloading it. Finally gave up and watched the score updates through a sports app with no video. Basic checking your email and texting through I-message worked fine but anything other than that is just plain frustrating.

We also brought a power strip onboard and had no problems.