any ideas on how to get food served hot

Visit the stations where they prepare food for you personally like the omelette station. I think that's the only way to get it just how you want it if you are fussy. Otherwise I think you might be better off eating at speciality restaurants where they also cook food to order.

Windjammer is a buffet. Unless you're standing at any buffet anywhere when fresh food is brought out, it will not be hot. If you dine at a buffet on land, you'll find the same problem. Steam tables can't keep food piping hot. I think the first posters answered the way they did is because most people already know this.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The problem is, it's a "banquet." Meals are all prepared set for delivery by the waiters. It takes time to pick up all orders (obvious if you look at the trays they carry out), and not being cooked to order, the meals sit under heat lamps trying to keep them hot. Just doesn't work. You can send it back and ask that it be heated. They'll do it for you. But for me, I've rarely had a problem. If I do I just mention it to them. We have a friend we sail with that likes her soup steaming. They are always willing to send it back and get it as hot as they can. The waiters work very hard to please. Make your wishes known and they will do their best to accommodate.

Just back from ovation of the seas ,good cruise but food never served hot.Any ideas on future cruise how this can be rectified,especially in windjammer.

I'm guessing I was probably on the same cruise (22nd April) and I'm in total agreement with you, the food was at best lukewarm but certain items were bordering on cold ( including stone cold plates)

We mentioned this to the supervisor in the Windjammer, who said as the ship was so new there were some teething problems with the equipment, and that they were aware of the problems.

Can't say I've experienced anything like it on any other cruises, so hopefully it was solely due to the running in of the new equipment.

I've mentioned it on my feedback email, and will probably drop a line in to RCI, as wasting food because it's inedible due to being cold did not sit well with us, and it was a regular occurrence not just a one off.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I guess I am odd but I never thought it as being fussy and/or picky when you expect the food to be hot when it is delivered to you. On our last cruise we had that happen the first two nights in the MDR. I sent mine back both times. Fortunately our waiter was sharp enough to realized that if he brought it to me cold or barely warm he was going to have to make another trip so the issue went away.

I will probably need flamed for this comment, but if I had a supervisor tell me the ship was having "teething" issues and suggesting that I lower my expectations I would tell him the "tip" program might also be having teething issues. Totally unacceptable comment on their part...at least in my opinion. Hard to believe they made it to supervisor with that customer service skill.

I guess I am odd but I never thought it as being fussy and/or picky when you expect the food to be hot when it is delivered to you. On our last cruise we had that happen the first two nights in the MDR. I sent mine back both times. Fortunately our waiter was sharp enough to realized that if he brought it to me cold or barely warm he was going to have to make another trip so the issue went away.

I will probably need flamed for this comment, but if I had a supervisor tell me the ship was having "teething" issues and suggesting that I lower my expectations I would tell him the "tip" program might also be having teething issues. Totally unacceptable comment on their part...at least in my opinion. Hard to believe they made it to supervisor with that customer service skill.

So if that was true and they were having equipment issues keeping food warm, you would take it out on your waiters in their tip........:rolleyes:

Did you, OP, take the time to speak with the Food and Beverage Manager? I would have. In the event you have not done this, let me tell you, it works wonders. Also would recommend speaking with Guest Services Manager and Hotel Director. It always works for me when I have an issue.

So if that was true and they were having equipment issues keeping food warm, you would take it out on your waiters in their tip........:rolleyes:

I didn't say I would actually not tip, so roll your eyes all you want. Hopefully, the comment would serve as the proverbial 2 x 4 up side the head and wake the supervisor from his/her customer service fog.

Has the quality and service on RCI ships degraded to the point where smart-arse comments from supervisors and cold food delivered to the table become the norm? Are their customers now to view warm (forget hot) food in the MDR as part of the WOW they advertise?

No flaming, but no mis quoting my post either! I never said he suggested I lower my expectations, however, he did say there were teething problems.

And you are correct, it was a totally unacceptable comment on his behalf, hence why I am following up my experience with a letter to those above.

No flaming, but no mis quoting my post either! I never said he suggested I lower my expectations, however, he did say there were teething problems.

And you are correct, it was a totally unacceptable comment on his behalf, hence why I am following up my experience with a letter to those above.

You are correct...you did not say you lowered your expectations. I should have worded that differently as I (personally) view the comment as a way of suggesting that is what should be done.

You are correct it was the 22nd sailing and you would have thought a ship with so much technology keeping food warm would have been no problem?.As regards complaining I think its a waste of time as you never get to see anyone who could change things all I have ever had is a polite brush off.

As regards complaining I think its a waste of time as you never get to see anyone who could change things all I have ever had is a polite brush off.

There are certainly folks there that can fix just about any situation - you just have to be firm enough and follow up. Go to the Captain's Corner Q&A and "corner" one of them - they can get stuff done.:cool:

OP - A few times our table has been fairly close to the MDR kitchen. When that is the case, we find the food is a bit hotter. If something is not hot enough, we tell the wait staff and are brought another. We like the food hot and mention that to the wait staff the first evening. They always tell us to just let then know of an item needs replacing.

Rarely take hot food from the buffet so I can't help on that issue.

good luck

M