Can you take syrup in carry on for flight?

legalslave

I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I picked my favorite Holland America boards. We are sailing out of Vancouver this weekend. Does anyone know if I can take Hershey's Carmel Syrup in my carry on bag on Alaska Airlines from Phoenix to Vancouver B.C.? It will not have ever been opened and still has the plastic seal on it.

Diane

I wasn't sure where to ask this question so I picked my favorite Holland America boards. We are sailing out of Vancouver this weekend. Does anyone know if I can take Hershey's Carmel Syrup in my carry on bag on Alaska Airlines from Phoenix to Vancouver B.C.? It will not have ever been opened and still has the plastic seal on it.

Diane

Not if it is more than 3.4 ounces. That is the limit per item for liquids in carryon for flights. And all need to fit a quart size bag.

Diane

No. Wrap it in bubble wrap and put it in your checked luggage.

The rules are the same for all air lines flying out of the US -- 3 ounces.

Do you have time to shop when you get to Vancouver?

I do have time but is there a place near the intersection of W Hastings & Seymour?

Diane

And surprisingly enough peanut butter is also considered a liquid. Learned that one the hard way!

A few years ago in Key West I had a piece of Key Lime pie with me and thought I would just eat it on the plane. Nope, I had to eat it before going through security.

Edited by Boytjie

And surprisingly enough peanut butter is also considered a liquid. Learned that one the hard way!
A few years ago in Key West I had a piece of Key Lime pie with me and thought I would just eat it on the plane. Nope, I had to eat it before going through security.
This is because the restrictions don't apply only to liquids. The full description is "liquids, aerosols and gels".

A good rule of thumb is that if you can pour it, spray it or smear it, it's caught by the restrictions.

It looks to me like it's a plastic rather than a glass bottle so I think with some padding the risk of putting it in a checked bag should be minimal. You might also try posting to Kazu's Westerdam thread and ask someone disembarking in Vancouver to check availability at their stores.

Roy

This is because the restrictions don't apply only to liquids. The full description is "liquids, aerosols and gels".

A good rule of thumb is that if you can pour it, spray it or smear it, it's caught by the restrictions.

That's a great way to think of it.

I think the PB looks like plastique explosives on the scanners. I am surprised after hand inspection they didn't allow it though if less than 3.4 oz.

The key lime pie should have been allowed through. I think the TSA agent probably wanted to eat the pie....didn't expect you to finish it before you went through!

The TSA page for foods: https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/prohibited-items

Edited by alwaysfrantic

I do have time but is there a place near the intersection of W Hastings & Seymour?

Diane

Just about every souvenir store (there are loads) or just go a bit further into Gastown - maple syrup is EVERYWHERE.:D

Just about every souvenir store (there are loads) or just go a bit further into Gastown - maple syrup is EVERYWHERE.:D

Most definitely my choice, but OP is looking for Hershey's Carmel Syrup as an option to brining it on her flight.

Diane

Yes - Nesters, London Drugs, and Urban Fare all stock Hersheys syrups. Map to closest branches of all from your intersection. I'd do Nesters/LD first as they are right next to each other and also closer to you.

I can't swear I've seen the caramel syrup on the shelves in the nearest locations to you, but then I tend to avoid buying any syrup that doesn't come out of a tree!

Diane

Checked bag - and double bag it because of the depressurization. I'd pierce the foam inner seal and squeeze out the air to allow room for expansion.

My big question though is, "Why?" Gooey, creamy deliciousness? Inquiring minds want to know. :)

I can't swear I've seen the caramel syrup on the shelves in the nearest locations to you, but then I tend to avoid buying any syrup that doesn't come out of a tree!

US Hershey's sells caramel, but Canadian Hershey's sells butterscotch syrup. No idea why, and I imagine the two are similar, but I doubt I'll be trying either as long as maple syrup exists! :)

US Hershey's sells caramel, but Canadian Hershey's sells butterscotch syrup. No idea why, and I imagine the two are similar, but I doubt I'll be trying either as long as maple syrup exists! :)

Two words: Ice Cream.