Cruise after surgery

I broke my elbow really bad back on 5/4, had surgery on 5/9. I am on the 5/15 Freedom sailing for 7 nights. How helpful are people with helping me board since I will have only one good arm? Will I need to bring my own bags for icing it down? Am I SOL with help at breakfast if I do Windjammer instead of MDR? My hubs will be with me but he can only carry so much.

Boarding is a little crazy, so I would give anything you don't need to the porters. Carry on what you can handle with your one good wing.

Once you're on board though, the staff is great. I imagine if you ask for help in the windjammer, they will be happy to help.

As far as ice packs, I would just ask the stateroom attendant for a large ice bucket and ask him or her to please keep it full. Pack a couple ziploc bags and you should be good to go.

I broke my elbow really bad back on 5/4, had surgery on 5/9. I am on the 5/15 Freedom sailing for 7 nights. How helpful are people with helping me board since I will have only one good arm? Will I need to bring my own bags for icing it down? Am I SOL with help at breakfast if I do Windjammer instead of MDR? My hubs will be with me but he can only carry so much.

I completely destroyed my arm on a Thursday, had surgery (I am literally put together with glue and popsicle sticks!!!!) on Saturday a.m., went to the Dr. on Monday and flew out on Tuesday and boarded Brilliance on Wednesday.

I don't do well with anesthetic, so I was quite tired. I carried my purse and DH carried our carryon. When I went to see my Dr. on the Monday, he approved me going on the cruise and said that it would be good for me, HOWEVER, he gave me some cautions which I followed. He told me that not everyone would be respectful of the fact that I had just had surgery and had a very bum arm, therefore, I was to keep the sling on my arm with it close to my body whenever I was around people. One day they delivered my lunch in the MDR while DH was up at the tutti salad bar. The people at the table did nothing, but a very sweet officer came over and cut my meat for me:). I was not allowed to use my arm or even my fingers AT ALL! I look back and think how funny that I was able to flat iron my hair and put on makeup with one arm. Trust me the mascara was not the best job ever! :D I am fortunate to be ambidextrous so I was able to do most things with my left hand.

The WJ was the most difficult. Be vigilant, because not everyone cares that you are slightly disabled. I was pushed and shoved many times and heeded what my Dr. told me about keeping my sling on in public for protection. RCI did not seem to care in the least that I was in a cast, perhaps because I was mobile. The worst was that they ignored it when we were disembarking. I wasn't supposed to be standing for a long period of time, but the line for immigration was quite long and we stood and waited over 2 hours! You may find that some pax are very kind and helpful while others are not, and the crew can at times be the same.

When we sailed a couple of months later, I was in a splint (cast was off) and I brought numerous zip loc bags with me to ice it. I would ask the cabin steward or the bartenders on the ship and they were great getting me ice. The fridges on the ship are really not cold enough to freeze the prepared bags, but there is lots of ice onboard, so not to worry. I would wrap the bag of ice in a small towel and it worked great.

You can do this, I promise. Follow Dr's orders and don't over do it. The Loyalty Ambassador told me I looked awful when we boarded, but was telling me how much better I looked the night before we left the ship. The Dr. was right, it was very good for me! Be careful with tenders!!!!!! We had one tender and DH held me on the broken arm side and a crew member helped me on the other side. Be vigilant if you have a tender at any port. They can move unexpectedly and you can get jolted or fall, so be vigilant and if in doubt I would recommend that you don't do a tender.

Hope that this helps. I will check back later today to see if you post any questions.

Dee

So sorry to hear this. I shattered my elbow and broke my arm in a car accident on 2006. Took a very, very long time to heal and still hurts to this day. Just wanted to let you know not to be discouraged by rehab or loss of movement. It takes time and work but it will come back eventually.

Try to enjoy your cruise! I think the crew will be very helpful!

Edited by erby2283

Just got off Adventure a few weeks back, and it was our first time we really had to think about these things. My wife had foot surgery several months back and it is taking much longer to heal than we expected. She rented a scooter on the ship, but you will not have to deal with that. No elevator / leaving the ship / accessibility issues really.

Embarkation was easy. We took our own cab so we didn't have to inconvenience others with our special needs, as well as getting individual service. Porter saw us getting out of the cab, and came right to the curb and took our luggage. Handicapped line was a breeze, and we were in. Disembarking was similarly easy, with an early number and use of a porter to get a cab.

I did have to do a lot more for her than normal. She is usually very self sufficient, and it is hard for her to need help, but I was glad to do it. The few times we did eat in the WJ, she would cruise by the selections on the way in and tell me what looked good, then we'd find a seat. I'd go get her meal, then make a second trip for mine. I know what she likes, so I also ad-libbed a bit on selections. No big deal at all. We did most of our breakfasts in the MDR, which was easier with table service. Promedade café I'd get her some food, which was simple. Johnny Rockets a time or 2 also gets you table service. If you are in love with the Windjammer, which we are not, it is a bit harder, but still manageable.

Biggest change for us was her early morning coffees. I made a lot of trips to the DL for her specialty coffees, when I would normally have slept in a bit more. Small price to pay since she has brought me sodas and donuts and such for years. If we are keeping score, I am still way behind.

Ship staff were all very aware and helpful of our situation, but dealing with injuries will still present some obstacles. Honestly, our biggest challenge was getting luggage through the airports since she could not wheel bags from her scooter. Carts, porters, and such are available. The experience did make us so much more aware of issues people with disabilities / mobility issues face every day.

Doug S, that was a very thoughtful post. You sound like a good husband.

I'll be using a cane on my cruise, but thankfully everything else works.

Disembarking is the worst because of the dreadfully long lines. I'm going to try to get a wheelchair this time even though I normally don't need one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Doug S, that was a very thoughtful post. You sound like a good husband.

Been telling DW that for 26 years...:D

Do try to take advantage of the handicapped lines when possible. Wife had severe pain if she had to stand long, even on a knee scooter, so that was important. In FLL off Oasis, we had to ask where the HC line was and ask assistance. Enjoy, all will be fine.

I would bring my own ice bag.

I hurt my knee before our Navigator cruise and I needed to ice it 2-3 times per day. Our steward was awesome about keeping fresh ice in the room. I took about 6 freezer ziplocks because they do "wear out" and leak after a while. I prefer freezer news because they are a bit heavier.

Good luck and relax!

DH broke his elbow about five weeks before our cruise. We shipped our luggage to the pre-cruise hotel, then paid to tip everyone to porter it. But we did have to drag the suitcases up the gangplank. On our last cruise, DH looped all the accessory bags over his suitcase leaving me just one bag to drag. (I was sick w/ bronchitis.) Bring your own ice bag (I bring one every cruise). You can get your cabin steward to fill it. We even had one fill it at breakfast and dinner and leave it near the sink. I also filled it up in the windjammer. Be sure to ice it. DH's hand swelled pretty badly, and they had to rework his cast about three days after his surgery. Also be sure to sleep w/ your arm elevated. Ask the steward for extra pillows. They gave us extra koban in case medical had to rework it.

See if you can get some of those snap sleeve shirts. We got some at Amazon. I got several of them for DH, since it was winter. His snapped from wrist to neck. We had happened to get a GS, so we left our formal wear at home and had formal night dinner in our cabin.

Can't remember what we did in the Windjammer. But I probably brought him food while he held the table.