Another Tablecloth debate

lele100

The only issue I have with this solution is that on the Breeze in Feb, our serving team had trouble just getting the food served to the correct people. I would have been shocked if they were able to get me a napkin within 30 minutes.

We had to ask every night if we wanted something other than water, and had to ask for it to be refilled. It took 10-15 minutes for each request to be fulfilled. One of the nights on this 8 day, they had not even cleaned the table. It still had crumbs and various food droppings from the previous diners.

I would have preferred a tablecloth to prevent the condensation problems and the dripping of the carafe in my food when the server picked it up, as well as helping to keep plates and silverware in place. Overall that was just one of a string of problems we had in the MDR that made it an unsatisfactory experience.

We still enjoyed our cruise, but the entire MDR experience was a huge factor in our decision not to book again with Carnival in the foreseeable future.

All jokes aside you are quite correct, imo. When I said I am bringing paper placemats for my entire group I meant it. No utensil will go straight from a hard surface into my mouth. Just an idiosyncrasy I have. The placemats are very nice, embossed, from a restaurant supply store here.

As far as the lethargic service you received in February is concerned, no one told me this, I am just guessing, but I will bet you dollars to donuts all ship service related venues reduce staff in winter because they anticipate fewer passengers. It's always something. :eek:

It would be interesting to know if the total passenger count goes way down in winter vs. the other seasons of the year.

Thanx for the answer, good to know. I never eat on bare table at home its either table clothe, place mat or a paper towel for quick soup and sandwich meal...just the way I was raised and having worked in food service for a while, the only person I trust to clean a table properly is myself. LOL The many joys of being OCD. :D

Ditto.

?:confused: And that pertains to this conversation in what way?

I think he's suggesting Silversea has table clothes because its more classy. Its a bit like comparing a 4* Michelin with McDonalds.

McDonalds punters would probably be ok about no table clothes so I think he's making a comparison and drawing conclusions.

I think he's suggesting Silversea has table clothes because its more classy. Its a bit like comparing a 4* Michelin with McDonalds.

McDonalds punters would probably be ok about no table clothes so I think he's making a comparison and drawing conclusions.

Oooooh. Copy that...

Thanx for the answer, good to know. I never eat on bare table at home its either table clothe, place mat or a paper towel for quick soup and sandwich meal...just the way I was raised and having worked in food service for a while, the only person I trust to clean a table properly is myself. LOL The many joys of being OCD. :D

We use place mats to protect our nice and expensive wooden kitchen table. Looks like the tables they are using now are fairly expensive and surprised they dont protect them in some fashion from getting discolored.

We use place mats to protect our nice and expensive wooden kitchen table. Looks like the tables they are using now are fairly expensive and surprised they dont protect them in some fashion from getting discolored.

Give it a few years and tablecloths will be back to cover up the carnage of years of abuse. Cheaper to throw a rag over the table than to replace it. :)

At this point, you have to agree that there is some comic relief being provided. :D John Heald just recommended placemats and people are still whizzed off and threatening to leave. LOL

I actually like this :o

13267733_1225875364121689_3915025350473160956_n.jpg?oh=c1d635f263b1eff1cc2237b32544a7a1&oe=57DC3703

2bab047bf28b20189b96d6b180b71f5e.jpg

If thats what helps you sleep better at night you go on thinking that. ;) A fancy table setting with a tablecloth does not make it fine dining. We are talking massed produced and often frozen Sysco type food here prepared thousands of dishes at a time. Not that there is a thing wrong with that.

The steakhouse would lean more toward fine dining than the MDR and even it didnt have tablecloths.

Im not gonna argue with you anymore but according to Google, this is Casablanca in the Doubletree Miami. I dont see a tablecloth anywhere.

DT_casablanca02_6_677x380_FitToBoxSmallDimension_Center.jpg

...and this is Le Cirque in New York:

images%5CRE11000512%5Csub1.jpg

Here's Maggiano's Little Italy, a chain restaurant:

878F9F6FEF5ED4E6B4A4BEF86219D9C4.jpg

So, what is your point?

not everyone eat in Mac Donald only. I probably shock you but even in my house we have tablecloth not only for Xmax but for any dinner with friends and family. It's really sad that people don't care any more how they eat or what they eat . 90% of they cruisers are over 300 lb :o

You don't have to eat in McDonalds or weigh 300 pounds to eat at a table without a tablecloth. I have seen and eaten at many beautiful and "civilized"(whatever that means) table settings using lovely placemats, runners, coasters and other acccouterments (not necessarily all together). You don't have to use a tablecloth to set a nice table. This is the 21st century not 1955! ;)

You don't have to eat in McDonalds or weigh 300 pounds to eat at a table without a tablecloth. I have seen and eaten at many beautiful and "civilized"(whatever that means) table settings using lovely placemats, runners, coasters and other acccouterments (not necessarily all together). You don't have to use a tablecloth to set a nice table. This is the 21st century not 1955! ;)

Do you think the removal of table clothes is because guests have requested it (as suggested), or because Carnival wants to save money?

Next you'll be telling me my butler serving our breakfast in our suite on our last cruise after making the table (with table cloth and all the trimmings) was an awful experience and self serve would have been so much more preferable.

Do you think the removal of table clothes is because guests have requested it (as suggested), or because Carnival wants to save money?

Next you'll be telling me my butler serving our breakfast in our suite on our last cruise after making the table (with table cloth and all the trimmings) was an awful experience and self serve would have been so much more preferable.

Well, considering all the money they had to spend replacing all the table tops, I doubt it had to do with money, but rather the changing demographics of their cruisers. It seems that tablecloths are considered old fashioned and don't fit in with the more modern experience.

Well, considering all the money they had to spend replacing all the table tops, I doubt it had to do with money, but rather the changing demographics of their cruisers. It seems that tablecloths are considered old fashioned and don't fit in with the more modern experience.

Are you saying all ships have just gone through refurbishments, had tables replaced to have table clothes removed? I haven't followed whats happened, but I would be surprised if that's the case?

You may be right when you refer to the demographics of "its" cruisers though. I doubt that the table clothes on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea will be removed anytime soon.

Are you saying all ships have just gone through refurbishments, had tables replaced to have table clothes removed? I haven't followed whats happened, but I would be surprised if that's the case?

You may be right when you refer to the demographics of "its" cruisers though. I doubt that the table clothes on Regent, Seabourn and Silversea will be removed anytime soon.

About a third have moved to American table.

Or something like this to set the tone and standards.

$_1.JPG

Another horn-tooter poo-poo’ing everything about a cruiseline before they’ve even stepped foot on board.

You would do well to team up with the other Alfalfas, Spankys, Butchs and Stymies that make up the Carnival board’s Little Rascals and create your own “He-Man Woman Haters Club” but geared toward despising everything Carnival. Don’t expect the resident feminist to sign up though – she’s too busy posting everywhere about everything to be distracted by such frivolity.

I can't believe you're even considering "slumming it" with the common folk. Hopefully they won't react negatively should you display such disdain once on board.

Never thought of it that way...I guess some folks would be lost at a formal dinning table, and afraid to learn something new. It is kind of sad that etiquette is no longer taught at home.

I do have an opinion on what the missing table clothes mean...cost cutting NO, its about increasing profits.

The MDR is payed for in your cruise fare, the goal is to make it less special, less of an experience as to encourage cruisers to go the specialty restaurants for an additional $$. That increases the the bottom line. Its a good business model and we are a captive audience(consumer) with a choice of an average less than special dining experience or an up charge specialty restaurant with a better dining experience.

I am good with a place mat for non formal nights, and full formal settings for formal nights. The only thing that would make me move to specialty dining would be a drop in food quality. I however have not been on a ship yet that has had the American Table.

I just wonder how far the lowered standards will go in order to push specialty dining.

I was surprised to learn from this thread that they use place mats for Chefs Table.? Really?

I wasn't sure what that meant, so I googled.

It looks very basic and down market.

There are times and places where its ok, I just think it's nice to dress up and would like my surroundings to be dressed up too. And I will be honest and admit I'm surprised I did enjoy it.

The two cruise elegant nights are somewhat more upscale (even table cloths!). It is certainly not Cunard....

A more "modern experience". Would you care to describe that? Trust me, the long term use of table cloths ("clothes" for those that prefer that word), costs more!

Carnival seems to be alone in this table maneuver among the cruise lines. Perhaps they are giving a hint as to the level of their product- Denny's, Applebee's, Golden Corral, etc.?

An otherwise elegant dining room with no table cloths? Aw, c'mon!

A more "modern experience". Would you care to describe that? Trust me, the long term use of table cloths ("clothes" for those that prefer that word), costs more!

Carnival seems to be alone in this table maneuver among the cruise lines. Perhaps they are giving a hint as to the level of their product- Denny's, Applebee's, Golden Corral, etc.?

An otherwise elegant dining room with no table cloths? Aw, c'mon!

Sail on a Carnival ship with AT and see. You might be surprised.

The two cruise elegant nights are somewhat more upscale (even table cloths!). It is certainly not Cunard....

That's for certain! On Cunard, you count the gents without tuxes on formal nights, not those with!

However, let's face it, while Carnival Corp owns Cunard, CCL is not Cunard. They are in entirely different leagues and, I expect, most loyal CCL cruisers would hate Cunard!