Sail & Sign ink

KarinaGW

My upcoming cruise on Pride will be my first real Carnival cruise and I'm looking forward to it. But, I was reading a review that talked about how through some kind of weird combination of water, sweat & suntan lotion, all the ink on her Sign & Sail Card washed off completely? I mean I usually take my DL with me which gets me through island security up to a point. The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me.

Is this a common thing?

Never had an issue. I wear mine on a lanyard and it has gotten wet a few times without a smear. Maybe the issue was the suntan lotion? Were they slathering that directly on their S&S card? No clue how that happened or even if it actually did. If it was commonplace you would be hearing about it all the time.

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm assuming it did happen as the poster seemed to have been genuinely appalled by the situation. Bad luck, I guess.

just because an anonymous person posted it, doesn't necessarily make it true.

just because an anonymous person posted it, doesn't necessarily make it true.

Aww come on - everything you read on the Internet is true ! :eek:

Back to reality - with the thousands of posts on this board each week, if this had even a hint of being true, some here would have related this kind of issue.

Edited by lizardhowson

Some of my cards are over 30 years old, well not really because they didn't have cards back then, but whenever they started, they look the same. They are all sitting in my top dresser drawer.

And I still have the paper ones as well, although they are not holding up too well.

My upcoming cruise on Pride will be my first real Carnival cruise and I'm looking forward to it. But, I was reading a review that talked about how through some kind of weird combination of water, sweat & suntan lotion, all the ink on her Sign & Sail Card washed off completely? I mean I usually take my DL with me which gets me through island security up to a point. The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me.

Is this a common thing?

Was the post that you read dated April 1st??

With the cruising history that you have listed in your signature I'm suprised you even inquired about this..

:rolleyes:

Maybe the person who told her this wore it tucked into their swimsuit the entire week. That's the only way I could see it happening.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Sunscreen will do it, happened to me on Royal Caribbean. I went to guest services and they printed me a new one. I apologized profusely and they assured me it happens quite often. Sunscreen (and bug sprays) will eat away at gold tinted sunglasses too...found that one out with my husbands oakleys [emoji19]

Sunscreen will do it, happened to me on Royal Caribbean. I went to guest services and they printed me a new one. I apologized profusely and they assured me it happens quite often. Sunscreen (and bug sprays) will eat away at gold tinted sunglasses too...found that one out with my husbands oakleys [emoji19]

Better not tell that to the OP, she's a Royal cruiser. so we know it wouldn't happen with them:D

Thanks for the reassurance. I'm assuming it did happen as the poster seemed to have been genuinely appalled by the situation. Bad luck, I guess.

Or it was just another Carnival hater with a purely fabricated anti Carnival rant.

We collect our S&S cards so the day before the cruise ends, we go to Guest Services and ask for a new card. Ours do tend to rub off a bit here and there over the course of a week, but we keep them in our pockets and swim with them too. The cheers sticker is the first thing to go.

My S&S cards has been in the ocean, in my swimsuit pocket, hot tubs, and after I got home, taped to the side of my refrigerator.

I can still read my very 1st one from 2003, even though my eyes are 13 years older now.

It was actually part of a fairly comprehensive multi-part photo review of a cruise on Pride. In point of fact, it was this review posted by a Carnival regular:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=49587145&postcount=118

The post was back in April, otherwise I would have just posited the question there to the OP. But, since there is no notification process in CC, I decided just to ask in a new thread. I should have known better.

Thank you to the people who answered me civilly.

My husband refused to believe that cross-cruiseline bashing occurs. Thanks a couple of you for disillusioning him.

The spray on sunblocks have alcohol in them so it can dissolve ink. One of our cards on NCL rubbed off the UBP ink and we just had to run by guest services to replace. Cruise not ruined.

This is not a Carnival going cheap on ink problem. It's just chemistry.