Sail & Sign ink

KarinaGW

The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me.

You jump to this conclusion on one persons review that you dont even know and you are surprised at the reaction?

It would have been easier to say you read this from one person on one review and you were wondering if it was true or if others have had this happen. You sort of asked but at the same time talked about carnival buying ink from the cheapest bidder and it 'appalled you'? from one review? from someone you dont know?

sometimes its how the question is asked and how the OP gets appalled that reactions are made.

You jump to this conclusion on one persons review that you dont even know and you are surprised at the reaction?

It would have been easier to say you read this from one person on one review and you were wondering if it was true or if others have had this happen. You sort of asked but at the same time talked about carnival buying ink from the cheapest bidder and it 'appalled you'? from one review? from someone you dont know?

sometimes its how the question is asked and how the OP gets appalled that reactions are made.

Agreed!

This.......

This is not a Carnival going cheap on ink problem. It's just chemistry.

As people pointed out I have (for a variety of reasons) mostly been on RCCL & also never had that happen. FTR, though, had I been on the RCCL board & read the same kind of review, I would have asked the question the exact same way subbing in RCCL for Carnival..it was mainly meant as a humorous (:eek:) kind of something. I know the tone of voice in which I would have said it and clearly, it came across poorly in the typed word. I genuinely meant no offense. Were I anti-Carnival, I would not be cruising on Pride...a cruise I am very much, btw, looking forward to.

And, a couple of people did mention it happened with their Royal cards too, so, it is just a thing that can happen, however rarely, just nothing to freak about.

Edited by KarinaGW

It's happened to me - when we were on the Magic. It's the sunblock that helps it come off. Not a big deal just go to the desk and get another.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My kiddo lost her sail and sign card in Grand Cayman. They asked her a couple of questions, looked up her picture r/ t our portfolio number and brought her up to guest services and gave her a new one. So even if the ink did rub off, it was no big deal to get back on the ship.

I would have asked the question the exact same way subbing in RCCL for Carnival..it was mainly meant as a humorous (:eek:) kind of something.

you thought this was humorous?

The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me.

that you say you were appalled? on a carnival board? you really didn't mean this but was trying to be humorous? People need to know that how they type something doesn't always go over the way they intend it to. Its best to just ask the question without the attempt at humor . it didn't come across as humorous to me and I assume others.

Edited by hftmrock

you thought this was humorous?

that you say you were appalled? on a carnival board? you really didn't mean this but was trying to be humorous? People need to know that how they type something doesn't always go over the way they intend it to. Its best to just ask the question without the attempt at humor . it didn't come across as humorous to me and I assume others.

Yeah, it's kind of like posting "just because an anonymous person posted it, doesn't necessarily make it true," very early in a thread and then having many people verify that it actually can be true!

"My husband refused to believe that cross-cruiseline bashing occurs. Thanks a couple of you for disillusioning him."

Automatically accusing Carnival of buying to cheapest ink possible without knowing any facts sounds like "cross-cruiseline bashing" to me.

Hello Pot, meet the Kettle

"The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me."

. . . The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me. . . ?

Well, that does it for me. We've been cruising on Carnival for years but if they're going to use cheap ink I'm going to another cruise line. :eek:

I mean, nothing could be more "horrible" than a smeared S&S card.

Edited by travler27

Heard it happening with aerosol sunscreen, bug sprays and perfume ( alcohol) but not during normal use... There are a million other things to worry about than this... If there is any issues, the security can easily call,and confirm your validity with the ship...

We were on vacation last year in Williamsburg, VA and had all our wallets and stuff in a backpack along with a can of spray sunscreen. At some point during our trip to Busch Gardens we must have leaned on the backpack and squeezed the pump on the sunscreen because we opened it up later to find everything drenched. That stuff ate up the magnetic strips on 2 credit cards and a bunch of other ID cards and passes and stuff.

Luckily it didn't get everything and we still had a great time up there. But we sure are careful with our sunscreen now. :)

Yeah, it's kind of like posting "just because an anonymous person posted it, doesn't necessarily make it true," very early in a thread and then having many people verify that it actually can be true!

wait... you have proof that the person that posted it was true? can you post the proof?

my statement still holds true. just because someone posted something , doesn't mean its true. You can deny that if you want but it is what it is.

even if its possible doesn't make it true. That's why you can come here and ask about it without trashing carnival as a supposed humorous quip.

Well, that does it for me. We've been cruising on Carnival for years but if they're going to use cheap ink I'm going to another cruise line. :eek:

I mean, nothing could be more "horrible" than a smeared S&S card.

We're just going to have to find a cruiseline with better ink. How about Silver Seas or Oceana. Their fares should cover better ink.;)

My upcoming cruise on Pride will be my first real Carnival cruise and I'm looking forward to it. But, I was reading a review that talked about how through some kind of weird combination of water, sweat & suntan lotion, all the ink on her Sign & Sail Card washed off completely? I mean I usually take my DL with me which gets me through island security up to a point. The notion that things could go horribly sideways because Carnival buys ink from the cheapest bidder appalls me.

I think it was the "drama" that induced the responses you are objecting to. I must agree that your husband might begin with your post to decide if cross-brand bashing might be occurring.

Enjoy your 1st "real" Carnival cruise !!

Never had that problem, but we typically put our S&S card, ID & $$ in a small dry pak that you wear around your neck. We actually have 2 different sizes and they make even bigger ones that I think will hold an ipad. I used our larger one with my iphone last year to take pics out in the water. Unfortunately, my new phone is larger, so it stays in the safe now.

You might try one of those. Academy Sports sells them or you can order them online.