Sunshine or Magic...Help please...

Have been doing my homework for an upcoming cruise for my husband & I...1st cruise alone...so I am anxious for this to be a memorable cruise..I am very interested in the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Sunshine but also the Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Magic...I have read mixed reviews on the Sunshine...so I am a little concerned about a cruise on this ship...Opinions/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Have been doing my homework for an upcoming cruise for my husband & I...1st cruise alone...so I am anxious for this to be a memorable cruise..I am very interested in the Southern Caribbean itinerary on the Carnival Sunshine but also the Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Magic...I have read mixed reviews on the Sunshine...so I am a little concerned about a cruise on this ship...Opinions/experiences?

Thanks in advance!

Never sailed the Sunshine. But have been on the Magic twice. No way would I even chance the Sunshine if the Magic is an alternative.

But I also have one criteria. No Cloud 9 Spa = No Cruise.

We cruised on the Sunshine in February Loved the staff and we had the best service yet on a Carnival ship, but that said the ship is crowded and there are a lot of tight, congested spots. I Have not yet been on the magic but heard it is similar to the Dream and Breeze, loved both of those ships. I guess for me I also look at the intinary. I am sure you will have fun with whichever you decide to go on.

Been on the Sunshine a couple of times. My biggest complaint is the small comedy club. Haven't been on the Magic. I would go on the Sunshine again for sure.

For me, I like the Southern route the best, so I would go with that.

My husband and I sailed the Sunshine when she was the Destiny and while there were some tight areas then, we loved the intimacy of the ship. We have sailed on 10+ cruises over 3 lines and she was our favorite by far. The upgrades look beautiful and modern but personally I would not want to do only 3 ports in 8 days.

The Magic is a larger, more modern ship with more capacity and a lot more people. We are cruising her on the Eastern itinerary in August and I am looking forward to Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, and St Thomas.

Bottom line, both ships have newer or upgraded amenities. Personally, I think the bigger differences lie in the itinerary and number of sea days vs number of port days.

We recently returned from the southern Caribbean route on the Sunshine (Aruba, Curacao, Grand Turk). Absolutely LOVED the itinerary and the ship.

We too recently were on the Sunshine for Aruba, Bonaire and Grand Turk. Enjoyed ourselves.

We have done 3 B2Bs on the Sunshine and have had no complaints. We are doing our first Magic cruise next January.

If you are picking based on ship - definitely the Magic. I have not been on her yet, but I have been on the Dream and she is hands down a far better ship than the Sunshine was and has all the same features and then some as the Sunshine. On the Sunshine the spaces are cramped, it's difficult to maneuver around the ship, there were constant plumbing and air conditioning issues (which I hope at least the last two were fixed when it went in for dry dock recently)

Itinerary, having been on versions of the Eastern three times now, the Southern route would be a wonderful new experience.

Thanks in advance!

Looking at my signature you can see I have been on the Sunshine three times .. The last time was a B2b and we only chose this for the ports .. Me personally if it was about the ship I would choose the magic .. I honestly do not think we will ever go on the sunshine again layout of the ship is a headache and it always seemed there was too many people versus the crew .. Service was slow in the main dining room .. Any time dining is a mess .. There's not much space for people you had to get up at 6am to get a sun lounger ... Even to go on the two deck serenity was actually taken up by the silly pods that only held three people maximum and hammocks which could only hold two people a lot of space used up on a two deck serenity .. Getting off the ship in ports was also a nightmare and the captain was admittedly late to every port on the 16 days we were on the ship which we only in one port had extra time in one occasion and that was in grand Turk For an additional one or two hours

I had so much fun on the cruise because of the person I am and the people I cruise with we always make it fun.. But we all agreed no matter what the ports if it is on the sunshine we are not going... I have also noticed those itinerary options are being introduced into late 2017 routes for different ships besides the sunshine so that might be worth looking into also as an option for a later year

Even to go on the two deck serenity was actually taken up by the silly pods that only held three people maximum and hammocks which could only hold two people a lot of space used up on a two deck serenity

Serenity on the Sunshine is 3 decks. Deck 11 is the pool with the waterfall with loungers, umbrellas and clam shells, deck 12 is the top of the waterfall with chairs and sofas to either side of the waterfall and chairs and sofas behind the waterfall, and deck 14 is the bar and hot tub with tables and chairs, hammocks, clam shells, sofas and loungers. :)

Edited by tandemcruzr
Clarification

Magic and it isn't even close. I've sailed both and hated the Sunshine. I'll never sail on her again. Too crowded, poorly designed public areas in the name of squeezing in more cabins and putting too many people on that ship. I'm sure the Destiny was much better. I do like the Sunshine's itinerary better so if you spend most of your time in your cabin, the Sunshine may be ok for you. Otherwise, make it Magic!!!

We are just off the Sunshine yesterday. Prior to our cruise I read all of the usual complaints about her regarding being crowded and difficult to navigate, and for the life of me I do not get it. Its a bit tight getting from Blue Iguana or Guy's to the buffet but hardly a deal breaker or a journey one makes often. Never had a problem getting a spot at Serenity or elsewhere and overall did not find the ship any more crowded than other Carnival ships we have sailed on. ALL Carnival ships have felt more crowded to me than ones on other lines but did not find Sunshine to be any worse.

We have booked Magic for our next adventure and am sure we will enjoy it.

Never sailed on Magic, but I LOVED Sunshine. Would I book Sunshine again if it was going to ports I wanted? Absolutely, in a heartbeat. I would likely book Sunshine over most other ships if they were going on the same itinerary.

Since I'm a foodie and love having lots of food options, having sailed Sunshine sort of ruined the Conquest for me afterwards, simply because it didn't have the same amenities and food options that the Sunshine had.

Hi

I have been on the Sunshine twice.. If it was the only ship that was going where I wanted to go then I would but if I found another ship with a good itinerary that would be my choice.

I found the ship much too crowded from the movable chairs in the main showroom to the crowds at the Comedy club and on the ill placed serenity deck that is not so serene.

Enjoy whatever ship you choose

pat

murrells inlet, sc

Recently returned from the Sunshine and enjoyed our cruise. I have sailed on the Magic several times and I always say there is something magical about the Magic.

I would sail on both again if the opportunity arose. Personally I do not think you can go wrong with either ship.

I just got off the Magic and I did love it, but I still think Sunshine is my favorite! The ONLY complaint I had with Sunshine is the small comedy club, like someone else already mentioned. The main complaint with Magic, was it was way too hot in the common areas, especially the Lido Marketplace eating areas and in our cabin. I love them both, but would have loved Magic much more if I hadn't stayed hot the whole week. :o:)

My husband and I sailed the Sunshine when she was the Destiny and while there were some tight areas then, we loved the intimacy of the ship. We have sailed on 10+ cruises over 3 lines and she was our favorite by far. The upgrades look beautiful and modern but personally I would not want to do only 3 ports in 8 days.

The Magic is a larger, more modern ship with more capacity and a lot more people. We are cruising her on the Eastern itinerary in August and I am looking forward to Puerto Rico, Grand Turk, Amber Cove, and St Thomas.

Bottom line, both ships have newer or upgraded amenities. Personally, I think the bigger differences lie in the itinerary and number of sea days vs number of port days.

You mention there were tight areas when Sunshine was Destiny, well imagine how tight now with many more cabins and venues that were downsized to make room for those cabins.

I've been on the Magic twice and it was well...magical!!! As for the Sunshine, being a red headed ginger my dermatologist would have a fit as she is always telling me to avoid sunshine!:D So my vote would be Magic.

In all seriousness I haven't been on the Sunshine, but I will say the Magic is my favorite ship so far. She just recently went though a dry dock and got the FUN 2.0 upgrades and she was still my favorite ship even before she got them. If I not mistaken she is the only ship with the new Guy's BBQ joint. Not even the Vista has that(correct me if I'm wrong).

I want to give my reply because I was in the same delima. I wanted to do the southern itinerary but I was unsure about the Sunshine. Like you I read mixed review, most of them bad, and was questioning it. Going on the Vista was too pricey and I wanted to to the Eastern literary as well on Magic, providing that it went to St Thomas. I have been on the Magic and really like the layout. Plus, I felt that it was a better fit for my son who will be 3.

After much research, I decided to put off the cruise I had plan this year and book a B2B on the Magic in Aug 2017. It has the itineraries I want and a ship I love. We will be sailing Eastern first, then southern!!