Group cruise taking over Crow's Nest - advice?

Infi

Thing is, your cruise is still 6 months away and you have the option of canceling or rescheduling. Most of us don't know there's a venue-reserving group on board until it's too late.

I expect that not all groups list their cruise plans on line, but there is a website that lists theme cruises so one can check.....before it is too late. You can't sort by date so you have to enter every theme to check, but a number of themes are listed until end 2017.

Thing is, your cruise is still 6 months away and you have the option of canceling or rescheduling. Most of us don't know there's a venue-reserving group on board until it's too late.

I expect that not all groups list their cruise plans on line, but there is a website that lists theme cruises so one can check.....before it is too late. You can't sort by date so you have to enter every theme to check, but a number of themes are listed until end 2017.

As well as the great listing that cjcruzer keeps for us. :) Many thanks to her for doing so. :D Here is the link to the thread for anyone that wants to check on their ship/cruise http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354486&highlight=charters

As well as the great listing that cjcruzer keeps for us. :) Many thanks to her for doing so. :D Here is the link to the thread for anyone that wants to check on their ship/cruise http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2354486&highlight=charters

Now that I think about it, this is where I saw my cruise group detail initially. Is it pinned/a sticky? If not, perhaps it should be. It is a great resource.

No, it's not a sticky. Would be hard to make it one. It's like the Future Cruise Listing and is updated on a regular basis.

Reading thru all these posts makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed that my very first cruise ever was (gasp!) a group cruise on the Statendam to Alaska. Had I not been a part of this group, I probably would have never gone on a cruise. HAL got a repeat cruiser out of the deal. Don't you think that happens with quite a few people who are introduced to cruising as part of a club, workplace, religious institution, or educational outing?

Roz

That information is great for charters or partial charters, but like you (mef_57) indicated, it's not always reliable for large groups being on board. The last bad experience I had, it was a large religious group who reserved the Crow's Nest and there was no finding of this group on the internet.

We've twice had the experience of being aboard on cruises with large groups.

One of the problems of sailing with a large group aboard is that many, many of them know each other pre-cruise. Thus their large groups of friends congregate in public areas - like taking over large areas of the pool deck and loungers or bar areas. As with any large group that know each other the "group within a group" conversations become very loud trying to be heard above those around them.

They continuously occupied the tables at the outdoor pool when as soon as 2 or 3 would leave more would come to join those left. We enjoy eating our Lido lunch out on deck but could never find a seat.

Yes, I know the tables and loungers are for everyone and that they paid the same as me :D but what is different is that eventually those seating areas open up but with a large group aboard they did not.

I don't have a problem with large groups aboard - I just try to research and book smarter. (and yes, I did accidently have reservations for the cruise with "The Nation" - that didn't last long and we moved a week or 2) :D

Reading thru all these posts makes me feel embarrassed and ashamed that my very first cruise ever was (gasp!) a group cruise on the Statendam to Alaska. Had I not been a part of this group, I probably would have never gone on a cruise. HAL got a repeat cruiser out of the deal. Don't you think that happens with quite a few people who are introduced to cruising as part of a club, workplace, religious institution, or educational outing?

Roz

Some groups are more overtly noticeable than others. Professional or business groups seem to blend more than music or dance groups. I haven't run into any religious or political groups. I hope I never get a knock on my cabin door at 8:00 a.m. with a couple inquiring as to our religious affiliation. ;)

Edited by blizzardboy

Some groups are much more noticeable than others. Professional or business groups seem to blend more than music or dance groups.

Definitely agree with you about the type of group.

I hope the comments I made above were clear that I was talking about large groups - which in my experience included large groups of dancers and another of a specific genre of music fans.;)

That information is great for charters or partial charters, but like you (mef_57) indicated, it's not always reliable for large groups being on board.

Do tell. What is the difference between what you call a "partial charter" and a "large group"?

Since a "charter" takes over the entire ship, and there are no passengers other than those with the chartering group, how does a cruise have a "partial charter"?

Do tell. What is the difference between what you call a "partial charter" and a "large group"?

Since a "charter" takes over the entire ship, and there are no passengers other than those with the chartering group, how does a cruise have a "partial charter"?

Partial charters exist on all cruise lines. It's when a group charters a large block of rooms but not the entire ship. The example named below...The Weekly Standard...is a partial charter because others can still book on that cruise.

A large group can be only a hundred people, or less depending on the size of the ship. It can be a huge wedding party or something else that's similar. Either way, groups or charters can reserve lounges.

It's when a group charters a large block of rooms but not the entire ship.

That's a "group", not a "charter". The group "books" cabins; it does not "charter" them. A "charter" books out the entire ship.

Very confusing the way you put it.

That's a "group", not a "charter". The group "books" cabins; it does not "charter" them. A "charter" books out the entire ship.

Exactly. A "charter" by definition takes the whole thing, be it a ship, a restaurant, or a bus.

I don't find it confusing at all. Partial charters do exist whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Dec 4, The Weekly Standard has a charter on Nieuw Amsterdam. You have no choice but to book through their website and/or their TA at their set price, but the ship is still open for bookings through HAL. That is a partial charter. Groups, such as Quincinera groups, wedding parties, church groups, etc, can book directly through the cruise line if they please rather than through a set TA with their own set prices. That is a group.

Correct. The charter can arrange for a different itinerary from the ship's usual one; bring on it's own entertainment; arrange different dining rules (e.g. all open, very casual dress code including shorts at dinner) and even have its own cruise director. That won't happen with group on regular cruise.

Roz

Don't fret about it; my first cruise was a charter! Most likely somebody's cruise was cancelled when they chartered the ship. :eek:

Exactly. A "charter" by definition takes the whole thing, be it a ship, a restaurant, or a bus.

Nope. You're wrong. And for your reference:

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/charter?s=t

Notice how under the definition of charter, it says:

5. Also called charter party. a contract by which part or all of a ship is leased for a voyage or a stated time.

I don't find it confusing at all. Partial charters do exist whether you want to acknowledge it or not.

Dec 4, The Weekly Standard has a charter on Nieuw Amsterdam. You have no choice but to book through their website and/or their TA at their set price, but the ship is still open for bookings through HAL.

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here :confused: Looks to me like you just acknowledged that there was a choice :rolleyes:

Anyways, I've said it before :

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.

For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Edited by taxmantoo

Aren't you contradicting yourself a bit here :confused: Looks to me like you just acknowledged that there was a choice :rolleyes:

(snide comments noted...though totally uncalled for)

I didn't contradict myself at all. I'll use the example I've been giving. Look at this partial charter:

http://www.twscruise.com/

Notice how at the bottom it says "In order to participate in the Weekly Standard's cruise events, this cruise must be booked only via The Cruise and Vacation Authority."

Other people can still book that cruise through HAL that are not part of the charter.

Edited by Aquahound

Those of you who are trying to argue with Aquahound are wrong. I am a former partner of one of Miami's largest travel agencies. We did partial charters all the time. You do not have to book the entire ship to be called a charter. Just because some of you on Cruise Critic prefer to call them groups does not make Paul wrong. A large organized "group" who reserves a large portion of rooms and charges their own prices to participate and has their own private scheduled events is, by definition, a charter, whether it's the whole ship or not. If you are part of a charter, you do not have the option of booking through HAL if you want to participate in their scheduled events.

What we referred to as "groups" at the agency were large parties that wanted to book together such as the examples Paul listed, but did so at the cruise line's prices. Whether they booked through the line or through us, the price was still the same and booking through the line didn't oust them from the group in any way, shape or form.

Edited by Cruzaholic41

Dec 4, The Weekly Standard has a charter on Nieuw Amsterdam. You have no choice but to book through their website and/or their TA at their set price, but the ship is still open for bookings through HAL. That is a partial charter. Groups, such as Quincinera groups, wedding parties, church groups, etc, can book directly through the cruise line if they please rather than through a set TA with their own set prices. That is a group.

You have to book through the group to be able to participate in their activities on a regular cruise; you can also book the cruise with HAL (either via travel agent or directly with HAL) but you will not allowed to attend their events.

With a charter you can ONLY book the cruise through the charter company; the cruise line does not take any reservations.

Family reunions etc are a different kind of group - they don't usually get to hold their own events onboard.

While the dictionary supports your argument, the way Ruth described it is generally what is understood about charters and groups on cruises.

Edited by Boytjie

While the dictionary supports your argument, the way Ruth described it is generally what is understood about charters and groups on cruises.

Because Ruth and some others generally understand it that way doesn't make it correct, and it certainly didn't warrant the remark made by taxmantoo.

A charter by any other name is still a charter and the fact still remains that a charter party does not have to book the whole ship to be called a charter. That seems to be what started this. Someone never heard it put this way so in their mind, there was no way it was true.

Wow, condescending wording AND a condescending icon! Completely unnecessary, especially considering that Aquahound is correct and you are not.

:rolleyes:

Can someone please explain to me in terms that make sense how

" ... You have no choice but to book through their website and/or their TA at their set price ... "

AND

" ... but the ship is still open for bookings through HAL ... "

are not contradictory statements, and even more so when included in the same sentence.