Victoria Excursion on Ruby

srsh1

We are on the Ruby in early August. Will only be in Victoria from 7pm - 11:59pm........considering doing the Pub tour and wondering if anyone else has any comments about this tour or are we better off just wandering around the Downtown area? Not much time there to do much unfortunately! :confused:

Do not miss the gardens, they are spectacular.

I disagree, I love Butchart Gardens and have tried this late night excursion and it was horrible. Save Butchart Gardens for another trip when your are there longer. Most of your time will be taken up driving there, you can't see much at night and it will be far too rushed.

There should be a shuttle that will drop you off in Victoria that you can get from the tour desk. Victoria is lovely to wander around.

• 3 weeks later...

We were in Victoria last Saturday. We took the $9.95 shuttle bus to downtown (you're let off on one side of the Empress hotel), where you're very near the bars. We had plenty of time to explore and were still back to the ship by 10ish.

It is not a big city.

The Odeon Theatre is where we first saw "An American Werewolf in London." Our guide, a native of British Columbia, was trying to hide under his seat, he found it so scary.

It is not a big city.

The Odeon Theatre is where we first saw "An American Werewolf in London." Our guide, a native of British Columbia, was trying to hide under his seat, he found it so scary.

ROFL.

We just took the bus from the port to the city center and did out own bar hopping although there is not a lot of time. It certainly was a lot cheaper than the Princess excursion. Do some research ahead of time so you know where to go.

Butchart gardens are not to be missed but you have to have more time during the day to go there. We were on a land tour of WA and took the ferry across from Port Angeles so we had all day which it took most of it. On another trip to Victoria we went to the museum and it was fantastic where a day was not enough time to see all of it. Our youngest now lives in Seattle.

Victoria is a beautiful city to visit but the 4-5 her evening stop does not do it justice. It simply serves as the cruise lines means of satisfying the PVSA for Seattle closed loop cruises. To bad they could not come in just a little earlier to give the passengers a real chance to visit.

I vote for walking into town one way and taking a cab back, if need be. The walk is straight and flat, not a problem for those without mobility issues. You must go to Rogers Chocolates on Government Street and buy a single (or better yet, a box of 10!) Victoria Cream chocolate. To die for. AMAZING. :D

https://www.rogerschocolates.com/

IF you decide you must go to the Butchart Gardens, take a ship's tour. That is the ONLY way you are going to make it there and back on time. The Gardens are gorgeous at night but I agree, on a port stop this short you will be very rushed.

Victoria is very walkable and should not be missed. The Parliament Buildings are lit up at night and are spectacular.

Enjoy your evening. :)

On another trip to Victoria we went to the museum

I think (It's been awhile, since 1981) your museum is the Royal British Columbia Museum. The section on the First Nations was fantastic.

hi.4 hours is not a lot of time to enjoy the sights.night time head to the inner harbour.too bad you didn't have a day to spend there.lots of water views.coal baron castles.too bad for the jones act.victoria is a place to see if you have the time.population is over 500,000 and growing at a great rate.houses are going for well a million plus.we live on Vancouver island.enjoy

I live in Victoria and definitely recommend museum currently they have a "mammoths" exhibit.... Looks great

Yes, if anyone is there on a Friday or Saturday night they are open until 10 pm - otherwise they close at 5 pm. I remember when it was free admission! *ahem* - yes, dating myself here. But it's $24.00 now! Wow. :p

Here are a few things to do in Victoria and not time consuming.

They do have a Horse Drawn Carriage ride Here is a link:http://www.viator.com/tours/Victoria/The-Royal-Carriage-Tour/d617-2604ROYAL

or, even a Pedicab is fun too! It is not a great deal of money spent on the ride.

http://www.viator.com/tours/Victoria/Victorian-Gardens-and-Seaside-Vistas-Pedicab-Tour/d617-3564GARDENS

To save some time take the bus into the city from the pier. I have forgotten the cost but is not very much.

Victoria is lovely place to visit. I hope you will enjoy. ;)

Victoria is a beautiful city to visit but the 4-5 her evening stop does not do it justice. It simply serves as the cruise lines means of satisfying the PVSA for Seattle closed loop cruises. To bad they could not come in just a little earlier to give the passengers a real chance to visit.

Yep. We were there 6 weeks ago, most people got off the ship

about 7pm. We were in our room Glued to a movie, I think it was the Intern with Robert Deniro. lol

Anyway, by the time we got off the ship many people were getting back on.

We quickly rode the double decker bus, right off the ship.

Costs $10 each, and includes Return.

Like mentioned above, it drops you off in the heart of downtown with Pubs,

nearby. I wanted tea at the Empress Hotel...... we walked in too late, they were closed.

So we walked & took a few pics of Empress.

Then walked around town, past several pubs & a coffee house, which was busy.

Very walkable & tourist friendly area.

Got back on the Shuttle bus to return to ship about 10pm.

Was a nice little Re- visit of Victoria.

I would agree with those that say save Buchart Gardens for another time,

when daylight, and you have MORE TIME.

Edited by CalLuvsCrusingToo

The gardens will always be my favorite place in Victoria. We went in the evening as it was the only option. So. awesome, even and especially for my gardener DH.. Not a boring moment. Such exquisite visual drama. A building is a building but a Victoria rose (and all) is so much more.Once at any time is not enough as there are creative changes.

Blessings

Edited by Lvteks

We are on the Ruby in early August. Will only be in Victoria from 7pm - 11:59pm........considering doing the Pub tour and wondering if anyone else has any comments about this tour or are we better off just wandering around the Downtown area? Not much time there to do much unfortunately! :confused:

We took the $10 shuttle, wandered the harbor area a bit, and eventually ended up at the Irish Times pub. We shared a whiskey flight, a cider flight, and a couple of pints of local brew before heading back to the ship. No complaints.

Personally, I see no reason to do the pub crawl as an excursion.