Planning Group to NYC and Cruise

Misty_Que

I am planning a group cruise with a 3 night stay in NYC. It is for a group of 10 people (5 couples including ourselves) and the cruise leaves from Bayonne, NJ.

Now I have the dilemma of finding a nice, clean hotel that suits everyones budget and is in a safe, convenient neighbourhood close to restaurants and things to do.

On a previous trip to NYC we stayed at the Hilton Times Square and it was a fantastic hotel. We are leaving this option open but we are the type of people that always like to try other places. By doing some quick research I have compiled a list of options based on their reviews. So now I am looking for your input and of course I am very open to any other recommendations you can give me.....as this was just a quick search and pick something :p

Jan 23/17 to Jan 26/17

Budget around $150-$200/night

Marriott Marquis - (Loved the location, views and rotating restaurant/lounge but thinking it is out of our budget)

The Westin Times Square

Intercontinental Times Square

The Westin New York Grand Central - Recommended by a travel agent

Sheraton New York - Recommended by a travel agent

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central

We are also open to the idea of an efficiency suite type hotel that offers a basic kitchen and/or a hotel that offers a separate bedroom to make it more comfortable for 4 people to share a room if that exists.

We were previously advised by 138east to try staying across the river to save on costs and using the PATH. Unfortunately I don't think that will be an option for our group.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

I was surprised that so many of your hotel choices were in the $150 - $200 range until I read that you'll be in NYC in January which is the slowest time of year in NYC. Definitely off peak.

I personally wouldn't want to stay in the Times Square area but if you're willing, all the hotels are probably fine. No way would I stay in New Jersey and schlep in by PATH if I could stay in New York. Plenty of options in January. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and pack your boots if snow, sleet or rain is predicted. Snow changes to slush quickly and crossing the street becomes a real challenge.

Have a great time!

I was surprised that so many of your hotel choices were in the $150 - $200 range until I read that you'll be in NYC in January which is the slowest time of year in NYC. Definitely off peak.

I personally wouldn't want to stay in the Times Square area but if you're willing, all the hotels are probably fine. No way would I stay in New Jersey and schlep in by PATH if I could stay in New York. Plenty of options in January. Just keep an eye on the weather forecast and pack your boots if snow, sleet or rain is predicted. Snow changes to slush quickly and crossing the street becomes a real challenge.

Have a great time!

Thanks! We are fully prepared for the NY winter as we are Canadians. I was raised on the East Coast so am used to the wind, rain, sleet, snow and slush. And have been living in Central Canada for the past 20 years where we get minus 30 degree celsius at times!

We don't necessarily have to stay in the Times sq. area as we have been twice before. My party however has never been to NY so want them to get to see as much as possible. A safe central location is fine.

Edited by Misty_Que

Question for OP, just to be clear, have you do a price check on your travel dates for these hotels on your bucket list ? Are these - per person/nightly rates, taxes & fees/surcharges included or excluded ? for your planned budgets ...

Unless you have access to interline rates or similar non-rack rates, I just don't see how you are going to make your budget - maybe you can try to do that on Priceline, but you will have no choice/say in bedding offered at check-in, etc.

For at least 2 or 3 of the hotels ID'd, you are looking at $250+ all inclusive daily charges (prepaid/non-refundable) per room with max. occupancy of 4 per room - and, you definitely cannot get a 1 BR suite at that price range. Most hotels in Manhattan, with minimal exceptions, do NOT have efficiency/basic kitchen & most definitely, not those in the core tourist areas like Times Square (there are some in the more tourist class, 2 to 3 stars category in Queens that I know of ... too far away & transportaiton isn't good, good for families driving into town)

We have extended family visited us & coming in from the West Coast and was looking around ... if those are per room pricing targets, it will likely get you chains like Howard Johnson, Holiday Inn Express & a few Comfort/Quality Inns around town further away.

Places like Jersey City, Hobokens & Edgewater across the Hudson will get you more physical space, dollar for dollar, for your money and options - along with some extra amenities like microwaves & basic kitchenette at the higher pricing. NY Waterway Ferries continue to run in the winter months, usually, unless the river is frozen - they have free shuttle routes from the pier to various dropoff/pickup locations all over midtown Manhattan ... something to keep in mind.

Happy planning.

Thank you all for your input. Good to know The Westin Grand Central is not recommended. I'm not sure why my travel agent recommended it so thought best to ask here.

I did take a quick look at some pricing on hotels for my dates and am well aware of the costs compared to my budget. I am able to get the Hilton Times Square for just over $200/night everything included. That was 2 people per room and know it goes up to over $300 to accommodate 4.

Guess I am just looking for some recommended hotels based on my preferences. I will keep looking and will be sure to check out that website Carol. I have not heard of it before. Is it US only perhaps?

I had a lovely stay at the Hotel Metro near the Empire State Building. Their rooftop sitting area (while not usable in January) had a phenomenal view of the ESB -- it's only a block away. Since your trip seems out of season, perhaps it's one to look into.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Are you looking for 5 rooms of two each? Or something else?

FWIW, if you qualify for CAA rates, or are Marriott Rewards members, there's a Residence Inn at 54th and Broadway, king bed studio with kitchen for 176-208 per room per night depending on whether you want a cancellable rate or not. The rooms are all single king beds, so max occupancy of 2.

Free breakfast, free internet, all suite hotel, just north of Times Square. Never stayed there, but that's pretty darn good...

As stated, that's a pretty slow season in Manhattan, so you do have more options than normal.

Are you looking for 5 rooms of two each? Or something else?

FWIW, if you qualify for CAA rates, or are Marriott Rewards members, there's a Residence Inn at 54th and Broadway, king bed studio with kitchen for 176-208 per room per night depending on whether you want a cancellable rate or not. The rooms are all single king beds, so max occupancy of 2.

Free breakfast, free internet, all suite hotel, just north of Times Square. Never stayed there, but that's pretty darn good...

As stated, that's a pretty slow season in Manhattan, so you do have more options than normal.

Thanks I will check that out. Yes we are CAA and Marriott's member. We are 5 couples travelling and I just found out there will be 4 people wanting to share one room for sure. Possibly we may share a room with another couple and then one room with 2 people.

Thanks I will check that out. Yes we are CAA and Marriott's member. We are 5 couples travelling and I just found out there will be 4 people wanting to share one room for sure. Possibly we may share a room with another couple and then one room with 2 people.

That's probably going to be harder. The hotel I just found looks to have a max of 2/room. But you never know what you'll find.

Thank you all for your input. Good to know The Westin Grand Central is not recommended. I'm not sure why my travel agent recommended it so thought best to ask here.

I did take a quick look at some pricing on hotels for my dates and am well aware of the costs compared to my budget. I am able to get the Hilton Times Square for just over $200/night everything included. That was 2 people per room and know it goes up to over $300 to accommodate 4.

Guess I am just looking for some recommended hotels based on my preferences. I will keep looking and will be sure to check out that website Carol. I have not heard of it before. Is it US only perhaps?

I don't know if it's US only - http://mw.lastminutetravel.com/#/hotels/selectroom

As an example I'm seeing the Crowne Plaza Times Square with a Times Square view 2 doubles for $2150 tax included for 3 days, 4 rooms, and 10 people. That's about $180 tax included per room per night. There's a fairly extensive list of hotels to look at. The Sheraton Times Square is a similar price, which I believe is on your list. There are also hotels like Hampton Inn which offer free breakfast.

Places like Jersey City, Hobokens & Edgewater across the Hudson will get you more physical space, dollar for dollar, for your money and options - along with some extra amenities like microwaves & basic kitchenette at the higher pricing. NY Waterway Ferries continue to run in the winter months, usually, unless the river is frozen - they have free shuttle routes from the pier to various dropoff/pickup locations all over midtown Manhattan ... something to keep in mind.

Happy planning.

While those NJ locations would surely cost less, the point of the exercise is to see NewYork. As a practical matter, getting from hotel to ferry, waiting for ferry, crossing the river (if even possible), getting from Manhattan ferry landing to anywhere interesting should be seen as taking close to two hours --- each way.

Four hours trudging per day is a high price to pay for the cash savings contemplated.

Well the good news is that January and February are the absolute cheapest months of the year to stay in New York. You can find a decent/good 3 star hotel for under $100 per night if you keep looking for a good deal. There is far more supply in the Times Square/Theater District than demand that time of year. I think you may be booking too early. I suggest ensuring that you book a refundable rate and check for specials and sales and be prepared to switch. I've stayed for $75 a night that time of the year with last minute deals in Times Square. Since you are traveling during the work week, if you want a 4 star hotel like that, if you regularly check prices, you probably will find one of those hotels on sale for under $125 per night.

As for which hotel, to be honest they are very similar. Check tripadvisor to see if people are complaining too much. I actually suggest going for a 3 star hotel over a 4 star for tourists. The biggest difference is lounges, restaurants, and bars inside the hotel. Other than that the rooms tend to be the same, yet 3 star hotels are more likely to offer free internet, etc. Staying in that area, you should never eat at a hotel for lunch or dinner, so I don't really see the need for the amenities or a big lobby/conference center. I'm sure some of you are on a budget, so spend the money elsewhere. That time of the year, all but the most popular broadway shows (Hamilton, Book of Mormon, etc) all have 50% off day of tickets. Times Square is almost pleasant since it is not crowded as long as you have a good parka.

One hotel to consider is the Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park. It is brand new and the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere. The top half is Residence Inn and lower half Courtyard, so if you stay in the Residence Inn section, you are guaranteed an awesome view and also get the large suite amenities that you are looking for. Free breakfast is also nice and included along with Internet for all rooms. It should be within budget. Staying on a high floor is nice since you get away from all the road noise. I've stayed at that hotel and it is my favorite in Manhattan. New is always nice.

One hotel to consider is the Residence Inn Manhattan/Central Park. It is brand new and the tallest hotel in the Western Hemisphere. The top half is Residence Inn and lower half Courtyard, so if you stay in the Residence Inn section, you are guaranteed an awesome view and also get the large suite amenities that you are looking for. Free breakfast is also nice and included along with Internet for all rooms. It should be within budget. Staying on a high floor is nice since you get away from all the road noise. I've stayed at that hotel and it is my favorite in Manhattan. New is always nice.

We are staying in NYC after our Anthem Cruise. I have Marriott rewards points to use. The Residence Inn is not available using points but the Courtyard is. Would you recommend staying at the Courtyard? The other option I have is the Renaissance New York Midtown. It will be me, hubby and 19 year old twins.

Thanks!

While those NJ locations would surely cost less, the point of the exercise is to see NewYork. As a practical matter, getting from hotel to ferry, waiting for ferry, crossing the river (if even possible), getting from Manhattan ferry landing to anywhere interesting should be seen as taking close to two hours --- each way.

Four hours trudging per day is a high price to pay for the cash savings contemplated.

No way! The reason folks take the ferry instead of the bus is because it's fast, but the bus is much cheaper. The ferry leaves every 20 minutes, travel time across the river is 8 minutes, and there are free buses waiting to take you many places.

However, January tends to be cold here, so I'd stay in the city.

No way! The reason folks take the ferry instead of the bus is because it's fast, but the bus is much cheaper. The ferry leaves every 20 minutes, travel time across the river is 8 minutes, and there are free buses waiting to take you many places.

However, January tends to be cold here, so I'd stay in the city.

Unless the hotel is at the Jersey side ferry landing and the desired spot in NY is at the Manhattan side ferry landing - you need to consider the time getting from hotel to the ferry, the time waiting for the ferry, the time for the ferry crossing - likely to be a lot longer with the likely ice floes in the river, and the time waiting for the bus and the time it will take the bus to get anywhere interesting.

Yes, way! You will, spend a lot of time making a miserable trip in uncomfortable weather.

Unless the hotel is at the Jersey side ferry landing and the desired spot in NY is at the Manhattan side ferry landing - you need to consider the time getting from hotel to the ferry, the time waiting for the ferry, the time for the ferry crossing - likely to be a lot longer with the likely ice floes in the river, and the time waiting for the bus and the time it will take the bus to get anywhere interesting.

Yes, way! You will, spend a lot of time making a miserable trip in uncomfortable weather.

I'm considering everything. We live 8 miles west of Weehawken, my husband commuted to NYC for 15 years. He drove to the North Bergen park and ride, took a bus into Port Authority, bused or walked to his office in midtown (20 minutes for that segment) and his totally commuting time, rush hour traffic, was 45 total. You can easily commute from south jersey to NYC in way under 2 hours each way!

I am planning a group cruise with a 3 night stay in NYC. It is for a group of 10 people (5 couples including ourselves) and the cruise leaves from Bayonne, NJ.

Now I have the dilemma of finding a nice, clean hotel that suits everyones budget and is in a safe, convenient neighbourhood close to restaurants and things to do.

On a previous trip to NYC we stayed at the Hilton Times Square and it was a fantastic hotel. We are leaving this option open but we are the type of people that always like to try other places. By doing some quick research I have compiled a list of options based on their reviews. So now I am looking for your input and of course I am very open to any other recommendations you can give me.....as this was just a quick search and pick something :p

Jan 23/17 to Jan 26/17

Budget around $150-$200/night

Marriott Marquis - (Loved the location, views and rotating restaurant/lounge but thinking it is out of our budget)

The Westin Times Square

Intercontinental Times Square

The Westin New York Grand Central - Recommended by a travel agent

Sheraton New York - Recommended by a travel agent

Hilton Garden Inn Times Square Central

We are also open to the idea of an efficiency suite type hotel that offers a basic kitchen and/or a hotel that offers a separate bedroom to make it more comfortable for 4 people to share a room if that exists.

We were previously advised by 138east to try staying across the river to save on costs and using the PATH. Unfortunately I don't think that will be an option for our group.

Thank you all for your help and suggestions.

Is the group ok with using subways and buses? There's a bargain at one of my favorites in Herald Square- at the La Quinta. Decent breakfast, and rooftop lounge. Very convenient getting anywhere you want to go in NYC.

We are staying in NYC after our Anthem Cruise. I have Marriott rewards points to use. The Residence Inn is not available using points but the Courtyard is. Would you recommend staying at the Courtyard? The other option I have is the Renaissance New York Midtown. It will be me, hubby and 19 year old twins.

Thanks!

The residence inn is better than the courtyard with better views, better rooms and free breakfast and a no brainier of using points since they are the same price.

Renaissance hotels are almost always nicer than a courtyard. I have stayed at that courtyard but not any Renaissance hotels in the city since they tend to be over my budget. Since all the Marriott brands are either 40k or 45k per night in the city, you may as well stay at a nicer brand than a courtyard since they tend to be one of the lower quality and cheaper Marriott brands. However if you choose the courtyard you still get a brand new hotel, just not as good of a view or the residence inn perks.

We stayed a few years ago at the Roosevelt Hotel. It was near times sq I think. Everything we wanted to see was walkable from the hotel. It was beautiful, clean, safe and affordable! I called hotel directly and got a great deal. The next day we did a "greyhound" type tour of NYC. Great trip and hope to go back in 2017

The residence inn is better than the courtyard with better views, better rooms and free breakfast and a no brainier of using points since they are the same price.

Renaissance hotels are almost always nicer than a courtyard. I have stayed at that courtyard but not any Renaissance hotels in the city since they tend to be over my budget. Since all the Marriott brands are either 40k or 45k per night in the city, you may as well stay at a nicer brand than a courtyard since they tend to be one of the lower quality and cheaper Marriott brands. However if you choose the courtyard you still get a brand new hotel, just not as good of a view or the residence inn perks.

How about consideration of the hotel location? Courtyard is Central Park area, and Renaissance is Midtown 35th street. Thanks!

How about consideration of the hotel location? Courtyard is Central Park area, and Renaissance is Midtown 35th street. Thanks!

Both are fine. With the subway it is easy to get anywhere you want to go in Manhattan and both are near subway lines.

Herald Square is nice, which is on 34th. You can walk the highline, get down to the WTC and Battery Park. You can also walk to Times Square. Lots of shopping there.

The Courtyard Central Park is not actually on Central Park. You are equally close to Times Square. You can get to the park, Rockefeller Center, and the Natural History Museum or Met easier from up there.

Either way, location near Broadway in Midtown is fine. 20 blocks doesn't really make much of a difference since it is less than 10 minutes on a subway. In my opinion as long as you are between Lexington and 9th Ave and between 34th and Central Park, it really doesn't matter where you stay. There are plenty of subway lines and the walking distances aren't too far.