Formal Nights - Can You Opt Out?

Jdell

No Idea, sorry, You will just have to keep checking the page or try emailing them from that page

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/dress_code_all.html

Thanks were 708 (I think) only 5 nights and keep getting conflicting reports about how many formal nights and the pesky women folk want an excuse to shop.:eek:

As if they need an excuse:eek:.

Thanks for the responses...and lively debate :). I appreciate many of the comments.

Thank you fantasy51 for the defense...my intent in asking the question is exactly how you say...not totally opposed...just inquiring about protocol as, for me, it's mostly a packing issue and has nothing at all to do with being "anti-establishment" or not liking to dress up.

Thanks, again!

A related enquiry. Booked on a WC sector Singapore to Dubai in April next year and in the personaliser there is no indication of any formal or other code for the 10 night trip. Is this normal? I was expecting possibly 2 formal night.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'd expect a minimum of three 'Formal' nights on that sector.

It is, after all, a designated sector.

What a great choice we did our first ever cruise on Queen Victoria to the med last August and loved

It so much we went transatlantic for Xmas to New York we actually took our two teenagers who loved it too. Wel as for formality you can either opt in or opt out ! There are two or three formal nights I think there are probably two on yours. You can either go overboard and push the boat out in long dress etc or simply a smart cocktail dress. Men have to wear a jacket and tie or can wear a DJ it's either or. You will love it we are the same age as you. If you just don't feel like doing any dressing up you can dine in the Lido which is fabulous or the speciality dining in the lido which is great for an alternative. We at present are on Queen Elizabeth in the fjords and loving every minute don't look at any other line as Cunard are the best !! Well that's my opinion enjoy

What a great choice we did our first ever cruise on Queen Victoria to the med last August and loved

It so much we went transatlantic for Xmas to New York we actually took our two teenagers who loved it too. Wel as for formality you can either opt in or opt out ! There are two or three formal nights I think there are probably two on yours. You can either go overboard and push the boat out in long dress etc or simply a smart cocktail dress. Men have to wear a jacket and tie or can wear a DJ it's either or. You will love it we are the same age as you. If you just don't feel like doing any dressing up you can dine in the Lido which is fabulous or the speciality dining in the lido which is great for an alternative. We at present are on Queen Elizabeth in the fjords and loving every minute don't look at any other line as Cunard are the best !! Well that's my opinion enjoy

Hi Darcie2,

What a lovely, informative post, thank you :)

I hope your QE fjords cruise continues to be fantastic, and you return safely home with loads of wonderful memories.

I so agree with your sentiment above (highlighted)!

Thank you again. Happy Cunard sailings for the future.

Edited by pepperrn

There are two or three formal nights I think there are probably two on yours.

I think two is most likely. Would I heft formal wear on a Med. fly cruise for two formal nights, very unlikely.

David.

Host Hattie - Not sure just yet...but not because put off by any dress rules...weighing a "land" vacation in Italy or a possible med cruise---looking at Cunard and Celebrity. We've sailed Celebrity med before and although I liked the ship very much and would do it again, I wouldn't mind a more upscale feel...if that is what Cunard can deliver. If I weren't taking the kids (adults), I'd probably splurge on Regent or Seabourn (celebrating my 50th :)...but happy to have their company and with that... make it more economical for four of us :).

Darcie 2--thanks for the vote of confidence on Cunard...happy to hear you had a great experience.

The buffet is usually pretty casual, but not casual like other lines. Cunard's "shtick" is to follow the dress codes as found on Ocean liners in the past. It's why a lot of us like the line. I wouldn't expect a Carnival cruiser to like Cunard & Vise versa. The least you can do is bring a sport coat/tie & decent trousers. If you can't(won't)attempt to follow the dress codes, then please choose a more casual line! Sorry, if it sounds snappish, but some of us like to dress up. To those that say "Oh enjoy your vacation any way you like" it's those responses that are causing cruiesline dress codes to really go into the dumpster.

If they want to sail Cunard they can, it's none of your business.

If they want to sail Cunard they can, it's none of your business.

But they did ask about the dress code on Cunard so it is important for them to understand the expectations onboard. And which are pretty much enforced.

My last transatlantic voyage on the QM2 was about ten years ago when every night was formal except for the first night. Now I am expecting 3 formal and 5 informal nights on the 8 night crossing.

My question is whether it would be appropriate to wear a light colored jacket for informal nights or would I feel more comfortable with something that was darker in color such as a blue blazer. I was specifically thinking of a white linen jacket. Thanks for any tips.

If you really want an answer, I'd say a white Linen jacket ( on a Male) would be more appropriate for Cruising or to wear during the afternoon. Not the sort of evening attire for a Transatlantic crossing. However, at the end of the day I'm sure you'd get away with it. But personally I wouldn't feel comfortable wearing one.;)

My last transatlantic voyage on the QM2 was about ten years ago when every night was formal except for the first night. Now I am expecting 3 formal and 5 informal nights on the 8 night crossing.

My question is whether it would be appropriate to wear a light colored jacket for informal nights or would I feel more comfortable with something that was darker in color such as a blue blazer. I was specifically thinking of a white linen jacket. Thanks for any tips.

Just one woman's opinion for what it's worth, but I think it depends on what you look best in, and what you feel most comfortable wearing.

But funny you should mention the white linen jacket because earlier this evening, I mentioned to my husband that it might be time to take out his white linen jacket (his go-to blazer is of course the standard navy blue with brass buttons).

Wear white or blue but have a

Bon voyage,

Salacia

On our first Cunard cruise, we flew to Med with (what we considered) very tight luggage restrictions (1 x 21kg checked bag each + 5 kg hand luggage pp) for 12 nights and succeeded in taking dinner jackets (black and white) and 3 proper "evening gowns". We had a wonderful time. The contrast between busy port days with lots of adventuring and the elegant calm we found on our return "home" was excellent. Our son (late 20s) and his friends loved the QE and its grandeur; "dressing up" is part of being aboard a Cunard ship - even the less glitzy "Informal" nights (which are seriously tidy!) mark the evening out as a special time and part of the fantasy you can enter into for the duration of your trip. We encountered none of the uniform code complainers that some posters here occasionally appear to be but we did have a wonderful time.

But they did ask about the dress code on Cunard so it is important for them to understand the expectations onboard. And which are pretty much enforced.

There's that word again.

What they asked was if there are alternative dining options, answer yes, and if it's "taboo" not to participate in the dress code, answer no.

They would be going on a fly cruise to the Mediterranean in August, not to an enforced stay at the local lock up, though after some of the snooty comments here I wouldn't be surprised if they have gone off the idea somewhat.

David.

There's that word again.

What they asked was if there are alternative dining options, answer yes, and if it's "taboo" not to participate in the dress code, answer no.

They would be going on a fly cruise to the Mediterranean in August, not to an enforced stay at the local lock up, though after some of the snooty comments here I wouldn't be surprised if they have gone off the idea somewhat.

David.

Which word?

If not wearing the appropriate dress code for the night then where they can go after dinner in the buffet is likewise limited.

Seriously, we have dress codes enforced in Airline clubs, Oval memberships, schools, and other similar places. Yet only on cruise ships is this dress requirement described as snobbery.

I didn't read any snooty comments. In fact I also said that on some occasions we wouldn't cruise on Cunard because of the dress requirement. Others have pointed out the issues. Think you are way over interpreting here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You are completely correct Pushka. They asked. They have received answers. Now they are making an informed decision.

Where I have problems in this thread (as does Olliesmum) is with people who are treating it not as a question but as a statement of what they intend to do. Many people are not reading the original post to see it as a request for information but are just reacting and making comments that might apply really well to other posts but don't apply to this thread.

... Where I have problems in this thread is with people who are treating it not as a question but as a statement of what they intend to do. Many people are not reading the original post to see it as a request for information but are just reacting and making comments that might apply really well to other posts but don't apply to this thread.
Very well said fantasy51. Thank you.

And these questions have been answered for them. It was not needed for someone to come on here basically telling them to stay off Cunard ships because that person does not like seeing people dressed informally in designated informal areas on formal nights.

Yes, no problem. Order room service!

Is there an extra charge for room service? I have only sailed HAL - where there isn't. I just like to know up front about these things.

I have never owned a formal dress or sparkly top and don't intend to now. I'm not a entertainment person, I only go out in the evenings to eat.

QM2 is my only way to get home from Europe without flying and I am looking forward to my first Cunard line sailing. I leave Thursday.