Cruise Solo or Wait until 2017?

Westie74

So I have an odd question. I have a cruise certificate for any 15 day or less Princess Cruise departing from the U.S. I have to book by October this year and sail before June 2017. It's awesome to have a free cruise and I really am happy about it but a few questions. (As in which would you choose, I know there is no "right" answer)

1. 15 Panama Canal (Coral or Island Princess from Los Angeles or San Fran to Ft. Lauderdale) OR 15 Day Hawaiian Island (Crown or Star Princess from LA) OR 14 Day Caribbean E/W Adventurer (Royal Princess From Ft. Lauderdale)

2. If I were to cruise in 2016 I would most likely have to go alone (which I have never done on a cruise, I have been on vacation alone before however) or if I wait until 2017 there is a chance that I will have a cruise companion go with me. I just got back from Europe for 2 weeks in May and currently don't have any other big travel plans until January 2017 when I am going to Dubai. I just don't know if i should cram all my vacation into early 2017 or bit the bullet and go a solo cruise in Oct-Dec? What would you do? I think the part that freaks me out about solo cruising is the eating alone part...?

Any input on any of the mentioned itineraries is also appreciated.

Edited by Westie74

So I have an odd question. I have a cruise certificate for any 15 day or less Princess Cruise departing from the U.S. I have to book by October this year and sail before June 2016.

I hope you meant June 2017!

So I have an odd question. I have a cruise certificate for any 15 day or less Princess Cruise departing from the U.S. I have to book by October this year and sail before June 2017. It's awesome to have a free cruise and I really am happy about it but a few questions. (As in which would you choose, I know there is no "right" answer)

1. 15 Panama Canal (Coral or Island Princess from Los Angeles or San Fran to Ft. Lauderdale) OR 15 Day Hawaiian Island (Crown or Star Princess from LA) OR 14 Day Caribbean E/W Adventurer (Royal Princess From Ft. Lauderdale)

I think the part that freaks me out about solo cruising is the eating alone part...?

Any input on any of the mentioned itineraries is also appreciated.

Go for it!!

Of the ones you listed, my favorite is Hawaii.

We've also done the E/W Caribbean and it is very nice. Plus you wouldn't have to fly. Always a plus.

As far as "eating alone". You don't have to do that. Make friends and find a meal buddy. Eat in the dining room (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and ask to share a table or go traditional and choose a 4/6/8 top. Go to the buffet, look for an empty seat and ask, "may I join you?".

What did you do to get a FREE cruise?? Wowser!!

I did my first solo cruise last year and while chatting on the CC roll call, found another solo cruiser. We met up onboard and got along great. So great, in fact, we're cruising (same cruise, separate cabins) again in October. It was nice to have someone to have dinner with, although we also joined others during anytime dining. But it was also nice to have time to do our own things.

What did you do to get a FREE cruise?? Wowser!!

Haha, nothing is really "Free". It was an offer from Venetian/Palazzo in Las Vegas. So basically I am sure I have "paid for it" haha...

The only thing that kind of scared me about Hawaii is the open water crossing being really rough? I know you cannot guarantee it will or won't be, but I just was worried about being seasick multiple days... But I have always wanted to go to Hawaii!

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are making me feel braver about the idea of doing it solo!

I just completed my first solo cruise and had a great time. I prefer to dine alone, so I did TD at a table for two, though one could also opt for AT at a larger table or TD at a larger table.

It was a nice couple of days, and I am seriously considering a much longer voyage in January- solo.

I wouldn't hesitate to go alone!

If you're worried about the crossing to Hawaii, just make some re to take some mezecline or Bonine a couple of days before the cruise. You may or may not have rough seas.... but, you should be fine with the meds.

It's a fantastic cruise, I don't think you'll regret it.

Our sailing to Hawaii in April was smooth as glass. I would recommend Panama Canal - we have done before and are doing again next Feb! The Coral is a great ship - we took her in Alaska. Have fun choosing!

Oh hell, go for it!; alone that is. My recommendation would be the full transit of the Panama Canal, it's one of the man-made wonders of the world, and one not to be missed.

Based upon your "screen name", I gather you have a West Highlands White Terrier?

Go for it! I sail solo most of the time, and do early traditional dining, works out great for me. I ask for a large table.

I would do the Panama Canal, an awesome cruise, I think. I've sailed full transit, both directions, LA to San Juan, and San Juan to LA, one of my favorite cruises. Hawaii would be my next choice, Caribbean as a last choice, you can always go there.

The only thing that kind of scared me about Hawaii is the open water crossing being really rough? I know you cannot guarantee it will or won't be, but I just was worried about being seasick multiple days... But I have always wanted to go to Hawaii!

Thanks for the suggestions. You guys are making me feel braver about the idea of doing it solo!

If you are at all worried about sea sick, I would suggest doing Hawaii as a land trip instead. I am not sure if the post that mentioned you would 'be just fine' with the meds has ever suffered from real seasickness. I have ... it is no fun!! We've done the Hawaii itinerary several times and it has been rough each and every time. I am not trying to discourage you from visiting this beautiful state, but just wouldn't do if on a cruise if you have any concerns about getting sick.

Personally, I would recommend the Panama Canal cruise ... the one from San Francisco to FLL or vice versa for the following reasons:

-- the Canal is so interesting and you might get to see the new canal as well.

-- the seas will most likely be calmer

-- from your info, looks like you will only have to fly one way

-- San Francisco is such a beautiful city with lots of tour options before or after your cruise

I wouldn't have any problem going alone. Just join your roll call and see if there are any other solo cruisers. If not, ask to join someone at their dinner table until you feel more comfortable around people that you have met.

Whatever you decide ... hope you enjoy your cruise.

You might want ton consider the 14 night Circle Caribbean cruise. There is a ailing in October of 2017 and one in January of 2018 and it goes to 10 ports. It's a true 14 night cruise and going to some new ports.

I recommend the Hawaii cruise; I did this last Nov/Dec and we had wonderful sunny weather and smooth seas. Had a little wind the first day after leaving San Francisco and the day we returned there, but the rest was fabulous. Hawaii is truly paradise!

If motion sickness bothers you (as it does for me), try SeaBands. They are stretchy wrist bands that have a "button" that goes on an accupressure point. I used to get seasick, but never now. They cost about $10 at Walmart.

My second choice is Panama. I did the full transit and it was great. Loved the Coral.

I love the Caribbean, but you can do that anytime, especially since you live in FL.

Whatever you choose, enjoy the "free" cruise. :)

Unless you want to be on a cruise.

Whether you pick Traditional or Anytime dining pick a large table and you will meet many different personalities........I know been there done that on many different routes.One of my favorite spots is the International cafe a great casual meeting spot while sipping real coffee......Go for it solo.:)

I do. She is the light of my life and the ultimate test of my patience :-)

I have a red-wheaten colored Scottie and I couldn't count the number of times people would come up to me and ask, "Is this a Westie?" My immediate response is, "He's not white!" Of course the two dog breeds look nothing alike, but perhaps folks who haven't been around either for a good portion of time, wouldn't see the differences.

We loved the Island Princess, but that was before the recent changes. Our neighbors, however, sailed on it after the changes and still had a great time doing the full cruise of the Panama Canal. I'd try to avoid the 14-day cruises that are really just two 7-day cruises back-to-back. You'll have repeating menus and entertainment. The true 14-day cruises sound more appealing to me.

I love solo cruising and the best solo cruise I was ever on was Hawaii. I met the best people, did the ukulele classes and concert, just great!!

I met someone on a cruise about 5 years ago and she lives in Dublin Ireland. We are now BFF's and talk by Skype everyday. I spend a few weeks in Ireland every year and she spends a good part of the winter in south Florida with me. We have many common interests and love to do the same things when we cruise. We do the TA's both east and west bound every year so it cuts down on the flights.

I would go for the solo cruise to Hawaii. Good luck

Going solo is fun once you get over the initial hesitation. Having a stateroom to yourself is awesome. For me, when I'm on my own I'm more open to meeting new people. I would go for the Hawaii cruise. Have a great time whatever you decide to do!

Solo!! I'm taking my first solo cruise in December another in February and I'm considering a transpacific in 2018 and a transatlantic next year. I love to travel but I don't have anyone to travel with me. Just think you can do what you want, when you want and how you want without worrying about your travel companion!

Just go. You never know what will be in your way later. You could wait and have a travel buddy, but what if that person backs out? There are just so many things that can come up.

I've done quite a few solo cruises and although I miss my husband, I have to admit having a cabin all to myself is bliss! :) I just love it! I've met some of the nicest people on roll calls. I've been good friends with some of them for over 5 years now and we're in contact almost every day. It really is a good way to meet others and to feel included when you're going solo.